Yale Global Health Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epi2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone else had applied to Global Health at Yale. I'm applying to the Epi of Microbial Diseases MPH, but since I plan on working internationally I would also like to be considered for the Global Health concentration. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the required essay becuase I can't find any information on it. Thanks in advance! I know I'm a little late on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone else had applied to Global Health at Yale. I'm applying to the Epi of Microbial Diseases MPH, but since I plan on working internationally I would also like to be considered for the Global Health concentration. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the required essay becuase I can't find any information on it. Thanks in advance! I know I'm a little late on this.

Hi Epi2013,

I'm applying for the global concentration too. All I know is you should showcase your international experience on this part and try not to repeat what you said in your regular essay.

By the way do you know we could pick 2 concentrations (1st and 2nd choice)? I chose Social and Behavioral science as 1st and Environmental Health as 2nd choice.

What's your 2nd choice then?

Keep in touch,
chriskyk

I didn't choose a second option because I want my degree in infectious disease epi. Thanks for the advice. How long was ur global health essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't choose a second option because I want my degree in infectious disease epi. Thanks for the advice. How long was ur global health essay?

I'd say around 500 words, since the entire essay will pinpoint your global achievements and/or aspirations.

Do you how long the review process usually takes?

I really have no idea about that. Some schools that I'm applying to list how long things take on average, but I haven't seen that for Yale. I'm assuming I'll be waiting awhile since I'm still waiting for letters to come in so I"m trying my best to be patient. :)

Hey Epi2013,

Those of us applying midway through our first year were advised to keep it to a page (single spaced).

Best of luck!

On SOPHAS it says the limit is 3500 characters...I found this very frustrating. It won't automatically cut you off, but it gives you a count at the bottom of the page.

On SOPHAS it says the limit is 3500 characters...I found this very frustrating. It won't automatically cut you off, but it gives you a count at the bottom of the page.

You know, MS Word gives you a character count as well, not just a word count, so you can probably check there first.

Does anyone know whether the global health concentration essay is needed for applicants applying for the Advanced Professional MPH with a Global Health Concentration?

My general Statement of Purpose is focused on global health already, thus I wouldn't know what to put in the extra essay. There's plenty I could write about, but if I wanted to prevent redundancy, it would not be as coherent as a standalone essay since the core info about why global health is already in the Statement of Purpose. I could easily see how the two essays could be differentiated if I were applying to epi or health policy for example, but since I'm applying for Global Health, it seems like what they want for the two essays are one and the same.

From SOPHAS's additional questions for the Yale app, it seems like such an essay is required:

"Are you interested in applying to the global health concentration (Note: MPH candidates must designate a first/second choice division) or have you applied to the Advanced Professional MPH Global Health Track (Note: AP MPH candidates must select GHT as your first choice)? "

"If yes, you must provide an essay here which describes your previous experiences that are most relevant to your application for the global health concentration. Also, please describe your current professional goals and why you wish to complete the global health concentration."

Any advice on how to approach this?

Thanks!