yale mph housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palmerbee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i just made the decision to go to yale for my mph and i was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to live in new haven? if there are any apartment complexes that are popular with grad students? i would really appreciate anyone's thoughts or advice. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

palmerbee said:
hi, i just made the decision to go to yale for my mph and i was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to live in new haven? if there are any apartment complexes that are popular with grad students? i would really appreciate anyone's thoughts or advice. thanks

Have you thought of living in Harkness?

i thought about it but i'm not really interested in living in a dorm.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a very unsafe city, be careful on the place you pick, lot of mugging and crime on campus.

About half of the students live in Harkness. The other half live off-campus. Financially speaking, living in the dorm is a good deal. There is also another dorm available for Yale grad students in general, not specifically health-related fields. Its called the Hall of Graduate Studies, and it has more of the Yale old-campus feel to it. Very gothic looking, each room has a fireplace, etc. It fills up rather quickly though.

good luck.

Hi everyone,
Congrats to all who have made the decision!
I am also starting at Yale in the fall and am pretty concerned about the crime issue. I have lived in areas like that before, luckily without any huge problems. I don't really want to continue to take chances in this respect.
(It wasn't just mugging activity where I was, there were a number of murders...and of course the continual look over the shoulder mentality).

Does anyone know how much apartments run within walking distance of campus (roommate style:)? Can I assume that somewhere within a 15 min walk from campus is decently safe?
I do kinda like the idea of the dorm or at least the idea of the meal plan and living with people on a similar track, yet I have some 'real' furniture! Plus I've been out of undergrad a couple years..seems a bit regressive!

thanks!!

New Haven Towers is a large apt. complex very close to the school of public health. About a 4 minute walk. http://www.newhaventowers.com/rates.php

I would not assume that anywhere within a 15 min walk of the school is safe. It depends which direction you go from the school. Going 15 min one direction is very safe, while going 15 min the other direction at night is probably not safe.

The dorm is actually connected to the school of public health through tunnels and other buildings. So if you really wanted to, if you lived in the dorm you could possibly never go outside. Although that sounds rather crazy.

yale is not in a very unsafe area. While it is true that new haven is not the best, there is a separate part of the city called Yale-New Haven and that is entirely different. I should know-- I did my undergraduate degree there. There is not a lot of muggings and crime on campus. As far as theft goes, I would not leave my lap top unattended in any college. In addition, all the dorms have swipe cards to get in and out of. My father, a very overprotective Italian dad, born and raised in NYC, tried to break into the buildings to make sure it was safe. If he could not get in, we were all satisfied.

If you can, I would also recommend trying to get in with one of the residential colleges (kind of the equivalent of dorms) for the undergrads and being a fellow (where you get room and board). These positions are hard to get but well worth it.

If anything, the apartment complexes are in a less safe area than the dorm. Harkness is beautiful and really centrally located to most of campus.