Yale University School of Medicine Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyoyankee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's pumped?!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so freakin excited!! And still in shock after yesterday...

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all comin to second-look April 26 and 27? Looks like a fun program!

Congrats on getting in. If you have questions about Yale, feel free to email/message me. Also definitely come to second look weekend, its a fun time. Congrats again.

ya! i'm excited! can't wait to meet you guys on the 2nd look weekend :)

I'm attributing to the shortness of this thread to the lack of non ASCII characters surrounding the thread title:p

I'm attributing to the shortness of this thread to the lack of non ASCII characters surrounding the thread title:p

I for one am glad its simple. To attempt to fluff it up with punctuation would not reflect the dignity of the Yale System. New Haven!

Soooo, let's talk Yale housing! I'm a bit sketchy on the details so anyone want to give me an overview of what it's like? I remember that the dorm has Jack and Jill style bathrooms (very exciting!), but I haven't seen an actual room. How many kitchens are there in the dorm? If most people stay in the dorm first year, where do they generally live in subsequent years?

Also, I have some questions about the rotations during third and fourth year. Most are at Yale-New Haven I'm sure, but I know many of Yale's affiliates are in other towns. What kind of rotations are done outside of Yale Hospital? For how long? What about transportation to these places? Do we pretty much need a car third and fourth year? Current Yale students, do you detect any difference in the quality of the teaching you get at the affiliates vs at the main hospital?

Phew! That's a lot of questions, but I'm looking forward to reading a lot of answers :D

So I actually went and looked at an apartment today in New Haven Towers, and spoke for a while with the 2nd and 3rd years living there (PM me if you want info on the apartment...I'm not going to take it because I don't think I would get along with the girls).

about 50% of the first year class lives in Harkness (the dorms), but usually no one lives there beyond first year because it kind of sucks. The rooms are really really small, unless you get a Suite, but make sure you get one facing the courtyard, because the street is really noisy.
If you live in the dorms, they are furnished with your usual dorm furniture and communal bathrooms on each floor.
You are also REQUIRED to eat 3 meals a day in Marigolds (the dining hall) if you live in Harkness. I eat lunch there every day, but I can tell you that breakfast and dinner at Marigolds is pretty awful, and most people get sick of it really quickly.

So people usually end up living in Harkness for the first year because they can't find off-campus housing. Off-campus housing close to the medical school is usually in the "Towers," New Haven Towers, Crown Towers, and University Towers. But these apartment buildings all have really long waiting lists, so it's impossible for any incoming first-years to get a lease together. But there are a few older students who have put up ads looking for roommates, so that's an option.

Those are the basic details. I'm definitely living off-campus next year, so I'd love to talk to any other girls in my class about looking for an apartment together!
Can't wait to meet everyone at 2nd look!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response, kiwi! So, some follow-up questions:
1. Communal bathrooms on each floor of Harkness? I thought there was one bathroom for every two students?
2. Are there places nearer the undergrad campus where med students can live and commute to the med school relatively easily (like by taking the shuttle)?

I BELIEVE it's communal bathrooms, but I'm not totally clear on the bathroom situation...

There is another area of campus we call "the grad ghetto," which is where all the biology/chemistry, Yale Divinity School, Forestry School, etc. is located. It's about a 20 minute walk from the Med School (on a fast-walking, nice day). The Yale shuttle runs from the med school to this area every 10 minutes all day, so it's definitely possible to live there, and I know that a lot of med students do live there. In the grad ghetto, it's all houses that you would rent a room out of and live with other people...there aren't any apartment buildings. It's just tricky in terms of getting to Shaw's, which is the main grocery store in New Haven, since the Yale shuttle doesn't go there, and it's really far to walk.
So personally, I'm hoping to live in the Towers as opposed to the grad ghetto, but it's definitely doable.

I think my plan is to apply for on-campus housing, but keep checking on craigslist and Y-Axis for postings about apartment openings.

So I actually went and looked at an apartment today in New Haven Towers, and spoke for a while with the 2nd and 3rd years living there (PM me if you want info on the apartment...I'm not going to take it because I don't think I would get along with the girls).

about 50% of the first year class lives in Harkness (the dorms), but usually no one lives there beyond first year because it kind of sucks. The rooms are really really small, unless you get a Suite, but make sure you get one facing the courtyard, because the street is really noisy.
If you live in the dorms, they are furnished with your usual dorm furniture and communal bathrooms on each floor.
You are also REQUIRED to eat 3 meals a day in Marigolds (the dining hall) if you live in Harkness. I eat lunch there every day, but I can tell you that breakfast and dinner at Marigolds is pretty awful, and most people get sick of it really quickly.

So people usually end up living in Harkness for the first year because they can't find off-campus housing. Off-campus housing close to the medical school is usually in the "Towers," New Haven Towers, Crown Towers, and University Towers. But these apartment buildings all have really long waiting lists, so it's impossible for any incoming first-years to get a lease together. But there are a few older students who have put up ads looking for roommates, so that's an option.

Those are the basic details. I'm definitely living off-campus next year, so I'd love to talk to any other girls in my class about looking for an apartment together!
Can't wait to meet everyone at 2nd look!

That's crazy kiwi, I happened to be in New Haven Towers today too! I decided to get a one-bedroom, and actually signed a 12-month lease in Crown Towers today. They showed me a list of Yale students who live in these three complexes, and more than half of the med students (but less than half of the M1s) live there. The dorms have one bathroom per floor, I believe, and some rooms are actually quite nice, but I've had enough of dorm life =) New Haven Towers are only a couple blocks away, so you can still hang out with the Harkness crowd at any hour of the day. If you're interested, check out the website (newhaventowers.com) and check them out on second-visit weekend.

In terms of rotations, Yale has several affiliate teaching hospitals, including: Bridgeport, Danbury, Greenwich, Saint Raphael (New Haven), New London, Norwalk, and Waterbury. Some of these cities are up to an hour away. I don't plan to bring a car until 3rd year, when I think we'll need it. I think they also set you up with temporary housing if you're rotating at a distant location.

Anyone know when they let you know how much finaid you get? On the website I sw something like July... confirm anyone???

whoa that's insane yoyoyankee, maybe we crossed paths! Are you working here or a student here?
Also, were there vacancies in Crown Towers, because the girls I met led me to believe that there is like 0% chance for an incoming student to get a lease now. But I'm so excited that you were able to find one, because maybe I can get one too!!

whoa that's insane yoyoyankee, maybe we crossed paths! Are you working here or a student here?
Also, were there vacancies in Crown Towers, because the girls I met led me to believe that there is like 0% chance for an incoming student to get a lease now. But I'm so excited that you were able to find one, because maybe I can get one too!!

I'm a student here. Talk to Ed or Jeff in the leasing office in Crown Towers and tell them what you're looking for... they made it seem like there were quite a few vacancies in all three buildings already, and a lot of the leases start in August.

Yeah, I called the office and talked to Jeff. So, they don't have any multiple-bedroom apartments available, but he's going to check on it. However, they do have several vacancies in all three buildings for studios and one-bedroom apartments.
He said the monthly rate would be like $850, most utilities included, but not electricity. The girls I talked to said electricity usually runs to like $40 a month, so that's not bad.

How much are you paying for your apartment yoyo? I wasn't planning on spending more than $700 a month, but if there aren't any other options, I may have to go with a studio.

Yeah, I called the office and talked to Jeff. So, they don't have any multiple-bedroom apartments available, but he's going to check on it. However, they do have several vacancies in all three buildings for studios and one-bedroom apartments.
He said the monthly rate would be like $850, most utilities included, but not electricity. The girls I talked to said electricity usually runs to like $40 a month, so that's not bad.

How much are you paying for your apartment yoyo? I wasn't planning on spending more than $700 a month, but if there aren't any other options, I may have to go with a studio.

I'll PM you that info =)

Wow..you guys are talking about housing and I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going! I'm sure second look weekend will help with that and any questions...but just wondering if anyone has any information on what the clinical years are like at Yale? I guess I know that they have the Yale system and that students are (almost insanely) happy with the school during all of that but I just wondered what people have heard about the rotations. Thanks! Revisit weekend will be fun!

Wow..you guys are talking about housing and I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going! I'm sure second look weekend will help with that and any questions...but just wondering if anyone has any information on what the clinical years are like at Yale? I guess I know that they have the Yale system and that students are (almost insanely) happy with the school during all of that but I just wondered what people have heard about the rotations. Thanks! Revisit weekend will be fun!

I've heard that Yale is very concerned about their third-years having a good experience on the wards. I think they have a few days devoted to dealing with the concepts of "power" and "abuse" that students in general tend to face during rotations, and they're doing whatever they can to make it work out ideally. YNHH is a beautiful hospital in my opinion, and has a very diverse patient population, and the locations of affiliates range from poorer (i.e. Bridgeport) to wealthier (i.e. Greenwich). There are grades for 3rd and 4th years, and AOA exists (something like 20 people got it last year), but not until after residency applications are submitted so that there isn't intra-student competition on the wards either.

Do we pretty much need a car third and fourth year for the away rotaions? Current Yale students, do you detect any difference in the quality of the teaching you get at the affiliates vs at the main hospital?

Anyone know when they let you know how much finaid you get? On the website I sw something like July... confirm anyone???

I'm curious about this too. Anyone know when the financial aid letters are gonna come?

can any yale students comment on the actual structure of the 'Yale System.' While, in theory, i love the concept of it- i am curious if, in practice, the actual medical education becomes secondary to all the other endeavors/research that yale students seem to pursue? how are the exams structured? i know they are optional...but is the structure of the yale system flexible, BUT also leaves room for administrative supervision making it hard to slack off? how does AOA work at yale?

I love that current Yalies called us to congratulate us! That's very cool of them :love:

Even though I think I already know the answer, I just want to make sure: Merit-based scholarships don't exist at Yale, right? So say I got a scholarship from another school, would it be pretty pointless to tell Yale about it?

Even though I think I already know the answer, I just want to make sure: Merit-based scholarships don't exist at Yale, right? So say I got a scholarship from another school, would it be pretty pointless to tell Yale about it?

Yea based on my understanding, it's entirely need-based. Though it might not hurt to try to use that scholarship to get Yale to increase your need-based aid? I doubt it would work though.

all financial aid is need-based, and apparently they are pretty good about it, but we'll see once i get my financial award letter.

Second-visit is in three days, and there's no action over here? Come on y'all! =)

New Haven was BEAUTIFUL this past weekend (70s, sunny), though the temperature is gonna drop down (and it might rain a bit) by the time you're here. Even if that's the case, don't let the weather dissuade you... we really only had three bad months this year (mid Jan to mid April, which was a very late winter), summer is hot and humid but still quite pleasant, while autumn and spring are absolutely wonderful. The weather definitely can be up and down though, sometimes shifting 20 or 30 degrees in either direction within a day or two. It makes you appreciate the nice days more!

I had an incredible time, hope you guys did too :D

Absolutely!! All my remaining doubts are slowly being put to rest, and I'm pretty sure I'll be headed to Yale in the fall!

When are orientation and first day of classes? I can't find the info online or anywhere esle.

When are orientation and first day of classes? I can't find the info online or anywhere esle.

Registration and White Coat Ceremony are on Tues. 8/28 (confirmed at second-look, not on website), and first week of classes presumably start a week later (Tues. 9/4). In between there's an orientation, and before registration there are optional pre-orientation programs.

Thanks. that's much later than I thought.

I really liked the second visit weekend and although I was 50-50.. now I am 95% sure i'll be in new haven next fall.

if i were to live in the dorms.. what would i do if i get there about a week early? If there was a way to get groceries even if you live in the "grad ghetto", i would do that.

hello boys and girls. i had an amazing time at 2nd look weekend. yale med is awesome, and i will be there in the fall. One thing that I left not getting a real sense of was what the day-to-day structure of class was. I was told 9-1 three days of the week, and 9-5 two days of the week (when anatomy labs are scheduled for the afternoons). But how much of this is lecture time?

it's about 50% lecture, 50% small group/lab.

hey everybody,
i'm still deciding b/t yale and wash u but, unfortunately, could not attend either of the second looks.
i'd love to hear people's impressions after yale's second look (plus info from current students):
what do people think about the clinical years, the yale system, thesis requirement, etc?

any feedback would be really helpful -
thanks!

hey everybody,
i'm still deciding b/t yale and wash u but, unfortunately, could not attend either of the second looks.
i'd love to hear people's impressions after yale's second look (plus info from current students):
what do people think about the clinical years, the yale system, thesis requirement, etc?

any feedback would be really helpful -
thanks!

I promise, if you'd come to second look, you'd be 99% Yale - 1% WashU :)

I promise, if you'd come to second look, you'd be 99% Yale - 1% WashU :)

Not necessarily. I think a lot of it depends on your learning style. I went to Yale's second look and it's all great how they portray the Yale System, but it's definitely not for everyone, because much of the studying is so open ended and unstructured. I have a good friend who just decided to go to WashU over Yale precisely because of the Yale System. He took a free study class in undergrad where his mentor didn't push him at all and he couldn't motivate himself to study without the requirements and the structure, so he figured that he is much better off at WashU than at Yale.
So, helsabot, both schools are very good. I personally think that WashU has a bit stronger research, but all in all they are pretty close. You should really consider your learning style seriously. If you can't motivate yourself to study everyday for 4-5 hours when it doesn't necessarily matter how you do on the exams, then I would recommend WashU. If not, then it's much more of a gut feeling sorta thing that you are gonna have to figure out for yourself.

Not necessarily. I think a lot of it depends on your learning style. I went to Yale's second look and it's all great how they portray the Yale System, but it's definitely not for everyone, because much of the studying is so open ended and unstructured. I have a good friend who just decided to go to WashU over Yale precisely because of the Yale System. He took a free study class in undergrad where his mentor didn't push him at all and he couldn't motivate himself to study without the requirements and the structure, so he figured that he is much better off at WashU than at Yale.
So, helsabot, both schools are very good. I personally think that WashU has a bit stronger research, but all in all they are pretty close. You should really consider your learning style seriously. If you can't motivate yourself to study everyday for 4-5 hours when it doesn't necessarily matter how you do on the exams, then I would recommend WashU. If not, then it's much more of a gut feeling sorta thing that you are gonna have to figure out for yourself.

Completely concur. Several first-years told us that getting used to the Yale System can be a major adjustment, and some people can be unhappy with it, but that if it's really for you, then you absolutely love it. The system leaves you room to discover yourself as a person and become a leader, but lacks the external validation (i.e. grades or class rank) that some people need in order to stay motivated.

Completely concur. Several first-years told us that getting used to the Yale System can be a major adjustment, and some people can be unhappy with it, but that if it's really for you, then you absolutely love it. The system leaves you room to discover yourself as a person and become a leader, but lacks the external validation (i.e. grades or class rank) that some people need in order to stay motivated.

Agree. Yale System is not for everyone. However, it is absolutely amazing after you learn how to thrive in it. I was deciding between medical schools that emphasized their research components, however, ultimately I settled on Yale because it really gives me the freedom and time to do what is important to me. Yale doesn't train its medical students to be just physicians; the philosophy here is to shape us into leaders, in whichever fields we choose to take part of in the future. Yale provides us just tremendous resources. It doesn't matter if you are big on bench, clinical, public policy, humanitarian law, global health, minority health, arts in medicine, etc.; you'd likely to find someone here who will "take you under her/his wings", and/or point you to the right direction. My experience here has been nothing but rewarding. The flexibility in our curriculum had given me the time, and really: the autonomy, that I wasn't 100% sure I'd get somewhere else. There is so much more than just being a good physician, and Yale understands that and really runs with it. If you believe in this phisolophy as well, Yale will be the perfect place for you.

i know this is the eleventh hour - but can someone (either current student or someone who visited second look) comment on the day to day curriculum at yale for pre-clinical years? I sent a few emails to current yale students that gave me their email addys-- but never heard back from them! :( From their website, it looks as though a number of courses are scheduled to run concurrently... do exams overlap generally?

not quite sure what you mean, but heres the general scoop. there are 12 or so classes we take the first year. some are year long such as physiology and some are shorter more introductory courses such as genetics. Some of them run concurrently.

biological basis of behavior - spring after march
biochem - fall
child/adolescent behavior - spring after march
cell bio/histo - year long
human genetics - spring after march
human anatomy - fall to march
history of medicine - random classes through the year
biostats1 - spring until march
neurobio- spring until march
pathology - spring after march
preclinical clerkship - year long
physiology - year long
professional responsibility - fall

qualifiers are in december, march and june. hope that helps.