Yale Waitlist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh yeah, and truth617, are you accepted or what? Your evasion of that question combined with your username leads me to believe you may be Silverman himself. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Funny you should say that, I have been suspecting this for a while now. 617 is the area code in the boston area though.

hey stumyers,

when i called the first time in april he said on the bottom of tier 1. you're right, 12-25 doesn't seem normal, i was confused when he said that, but he did say it (i wrote it down on my nervous doodle pad - waiting til he gets on the phone does all kinds of things to my stomach). AAARGH. I got no impression as to how big the tiers were. I'm hoping some of the people on the tiers decided not to pursue the Yale waitlist and thus some of us are being bumped up?

keep the hope alive, things are slow this year, but it's good if he is now saying things look more statistically "normal"

Members don't see this ad :)
btw, if not yale (gasp, knock on wood), where are the rest of you planning on heading?

Don't know . . . I've been waitlisted at so many places I always forget one or two when trying to name them . . .

hehe, my waitlist numbers are in the double digits! apparently i am exactly what schools are looking for in a candidate for a spot on the waitlist :D

Yes, I've held on to all of them...but I will be withdrawing from a few in the next couple of weeks.

No, no acceptances from the waitlist yet.

Thanking my lucky stars one school took pity on me regular admit.

i was looking at last year's thread...it seems like all these people got in in May itself.. why does this have to be the abnormal year? sigh. I agree, let's keep the hope alive.

At the risk of sounding obsessive, I'm going to ask the question . . . did anyone call?

Just so you guys know. I called today at 2pm and the lady (I'm assuming Veronica) told me Mr. Silverman was at a meeting, but "he sent an e-mail" and to check my e-mail(she didn't ask for my name first) and call back again next Wed. if I don't check it. She said she doesn't know the contents of the e-mail.

I haven't received an e-mail from Yale yet today so I may just call the office again next Wed.

Thanks for the post, baochai.

I haven't received anything yet either. Anyone get a big envelope in their inbox?

Anyone get that "new" e-mail? If it went out, at least one person would have posted it. I could be wrong with that statement.

Let's all have a stress-free weekend... not worrying about supposed e-mails...

C

Blanch and Baochai, what tiers are you on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Blanch--
you should call on wednesday and ask Silverman about your waitlist status. he makes notes of who calls and how the convo goes. It could help to show your interest. I'm on the bottom of tier 2nd still waiting. I know of at least 3 folks who declined Yale's acceptance( 2 off SDN and a friend of mine), so though that is no indication for us..it still gives me hope..Keep hope alive. We'll make it:clap:

LRmed2003,

I am also on tier 2, but not quite so optimistic. I have really been scared by some of the recent developments on sdn. Does anyone else have a sense of the fate of tier 2?

I didn't think i'd do this...but

*bump*

any news?

hey mirla..

me too.. i check this thing several times a day..it's insane.. anywho..it's wednesday..is anyone calling silverman? i was tempted to call and just ask how it's going..oh well..they need to update folks..they've had two weeks tomorrow since the 15th.let's get it rolling:clap:

When I called last week he said this week was graduation, there was a lot of "pomp and circumstance" (exact words) and thus to call back next week.

I wake up every morning and check my inbox for the magic email. Then I check this thread. this wait is agonizing. anyone else losing hope?

Chins up, everybody!

My window's open and I don't hear no fat ladies singin! ;)

I meant to call today but just forgot. . .set up a little pop-up reminder for Friday though.

On a different note, how do y'all think the overall reduction of med school applicants has affected the admissions decisions of the Yale's, etc? As I recall, in 1996 there were ~44,000 applicants nation-wide. In 2002 there were ~35,000. (Source: aamc.org I believe)(note: numbers may be +/- 5%).

Keep the hope alive. . .especially you tier 2 G's. . .I've got a good feeling you'll get it. ttfn,

-blueskies

anyone call today?

Yep, I did. . .didn't get around to posting until now though.

Basically, Mr. Silverman said it was a slow year in terms of wait-list movement--there are a lot of "legitimate but unresolved issues" students are trying to sort out. He said wait list movement usually happens in 2 main waves--one right after the 15 May deadline, then a second about 2 weeks later. This year, he thinks they are "about 2 weeks off schedule" but he expects things to open up shortly.

He suggested I call back o/a 15 Jun for more info.

Anybody else call and get more/different info? ttyl,

-blueskies

anyone else feel like we've been getting the same answer for a month with the date just pushed back?

I'm calling on Wed..

called today..
Mr Silverman said that what usually happens is the first batch of acceptances goes out right after may 15. that batch didn't happen this time so everything is behind. They've finally been having somewhat of a "breakthrough". They expect the next batch of acceptances to go out soon - whether soon is tommorrow, friday, or next week, he can't tell. He threw around the number of 10-12 more spots in the class going to waitlistees; I'm not sure how firm this number is. There is a group of applications waiting in a room to be looked at and debated for the next round of acceptances...mine is in there...but this doesn't mean that I will necessarily get an acceptance...any new material is up to us to send - some people send papers/additional letters of rec. He doesn't think these always help, sometimes they do, but they probably can't hurt. If a decision is made on anyone's app, they will be notified immediately (phone or email).

keep the hope alive everyone...

Congrats Kurtz!

It sounds like Tier I is almost done... Tier II to come...

WOOOO HOOOOO!!

Awesome news, Kurtz!

Let's hope this train keeps rollin!

Congrats Kurtz! Glad to finally hear of someone on this thread having some luck. Best of luck to you and hopefully I'll see you there.

Yes big upps to Kurtz:D .. hopefully i'll be posting on here something sometime soon...fingers crossed...tummy full o' butterflies.. countdown begins...

KURTZ, YOU'RE A ROCK STAR!!!!

Congratulations!

no magic call here yet.....sigh...

Any Yale news lately? Has anyone spoken to Mr. Silverman or heard of any movement since last Friday? I am getting so anxious- the waiting is really getting to me!

On another note, does anyone who has already been accepted know when classes will be starting at Yale this fall? I have searched high and low but that information does not seem to be available to the general public! Also, how many people are planning to live in the dorm for their first-year?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Jasmin79
On another note, does anyone who has already been accepted know when classes will be starting at Yale this fall?

Classes start on September 2, though first year students matriculate on August 26.

Hi all,

I spoke to Mr. Silverman this afternoon. He basically told me that he would be lying if he told me to keep my hopes up. He said that at this point the class if full and that compared to last year they had made more than 20 fewer offers off the waitlist.

So I just wanted to update. Congrats on the acceptance Kurtz!!!!

I'm off to Columbia :clap:

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I amazingly got the phone call for acceptance today!

My position was at the bottom of the first tier.

So the list is moving, albeit incredibly slowly (!) for some reason this year.

good luck everyone!!!!

Originally posted by looney
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I amazingly got the phone call for acceptance today!

My position was at the bottom of the first tier.

So the list is moving, albeit incredibly slowly (!) for some reason this year.

good luck everyone!!!!

Congrats! Thats awesome.

hey merlin - where were you tier-wise?

I am supposedly at the bottom of the first tier but am beyond depressed because I haven't gotten the call...what does Mr Silverman mean by "the class is full" ??!!!???!

Hey Mirla,

I thought I'd cheer you up. I'm on the second tier and when I talked to Silverman on Friday he told me that he's telling most people their chances are remote and to look at their other options. But then he told me that they want me to stay on the waiting list because I still have a good shot. I'm on the second tier, you're on the first. I would say that you'll probably get the call in the next week and a half. I can understand your depression over this but I still think it's going to work out for you. Good luck.

Originally posted by mirla
hey merlin - where were you tier-wise?

I am supposedly at the bottom of the first tier but am beyond depressed because I haven't gotten the call...what does Mr Silverman mean by "the class is full" ??!!!???!

I wouldn't take too, too much stock in that statement. Since by definition, when someone is pulled from the Waiting List it is to fill a vacancy in the class-- therefore "Filling" the class once again.

As per my conversation with the Director, he said the same to me as he did to ccCrazie. As well he said they were "finishing" up the 1st group (tier) and getting to the second.

It's a waiting game... anyone wanna play with me?

Does anyone in the peanut gallery care to add to this discussion? Or are you just going to continue asking questions and receiving information without contributing to the common good-- very, very, Yale System-esque, indeed.

Keep hope alive-- it's all we can do.

C

thanks ccCrazie... I'd want you in my med school class anyday!

i'm going to try harder to keep the hope alive...

LRmed2003 here...

how depressing is it that i started this thread and prolly will not be getting off the waitlist...i am calling silverman tomorrow cuz this is crazy..i am feelin' kinda down now..because i'm waitlisted here and one other school.. what am i sposed to do i fi don't get off either waitlist...i feel like some <insert expletive here> oh well.,..someone give me some advice/hope..this is horrible...:(

Wow LRmed,
I guess I just assumed that all of us Yale waitlistees would have at least one other option....
But all is fair in the admissions game. Keep the faith
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. If I get in I'll give you my spot :)

Peace ~Doc

another member of the peanut gallery here...

As Blanch said...last time I called he told me the same thing he's been telling other people...they're wrapping up the first tier and may move along to the second and to call back around 6/13. I haven't posted because I don't have any new information.

I'll probably give Director Silverman one last call tomorrow or Monday just to verify for myself what Merlin said. Best of luck to you Mirla! I'm sure they'll take a few more and wrap up the first tier.

Originally posted by LRmed2003
LRmed2003 here...

how depressing is it that i started this thread and prolly will not be getting off the waitlist...i am calling silverman tomorrow cuz this is crazy..i am feelin' kinda down now..because i'm waitlisted here and one other school.. what am i sposed to do i fi don't get off either waitlist...i feel like some <insert expletive here> oh well.,..someone give me some advice/hope..this is horrible...:(

Hey LR,

I'm pulling for ya. All you can do is hope. Remember it's a waiting game-- so even if it looks grim-- you can wait till the last second. A friend of mine, second time applying, didnt get in anywhere in the US. He was ready to leave for Isreal, and a few days before leaving for Sackler, NYU called and accepted him.

Keep hope alive. It happens.

I feel like Veronica told me that Silverman will be out of the office tommorrow (Friday). I could be wrong about this - anyway we'll see.

LR, it ain't over til its over. Have you written letters to both schools? I would write another letter updating them on your situation. I am rooting for you too...

thanks for all the encouragement everyone..what would I do without this thread??!

LR,

Are you saying you're on two waitlists but you have other options or do you just have two waitlists. I recognized your name as being on the Harvard waitlist, which I'm sure doesn't have much movement. Hopefully Yale will work out for you then. How many schools did you apply to? It seems strange that you are on Yale and Harvards waitlist and have no other acceptances. I hope that's not your situation, but if it is then I'm definitely pulling for you. Good luck.

Man, after a long stretch of nothing, this thread is finally getting a pulse.

Hey all,
I'm just going to remind us all about the stats Mr. Silverman gave us early on:

1. Every year every candidate on tier 1 has been offered acceptance

2. About 50% of the time, every candidate on tier 2 has been offered acceptance

3. Thus, about 50% of the time, some of us tier 3 bubba's are offered acceptance too.

Although this seems like a "dry" year for the wait-list, I still think they'll ultimately get pretty far through tier 2 (at least). . .and maybe into tier 3!

Please excuse the reference, but I feel this message board is kind of like the Care Bears when they used to do the "Care Bear Shine". . .anyone else remember that? They all used to shine their bellies up into the sky to give power to whomever needed it.

Cheers,

-blue

hey guys, I 'went' to Yale ungrad and will be at YSM in the fall, and most of the 20 people they outright accepted from Yale College wont be going, I only know of 3 - 4 who will be, so thats a ton of spots opening, although I am not sure when- the list should move, and its moved a lot if they are done with the first tier, so keep writing letters and callinG! Hope to see you in the fall-

wexy

Hi everybody, I just declined my waitlist acceptance today (was notified by email on Tuesday), so hopefully one of you will hear good news soon. I was at the top of tier 2. Good luck!

Hey all,
well, I called last Monday but haven't been able to post until now (forums server was down). Anyway, Mr. Silverman said they were 23 students behind last year's pace of wait-list acceptances. For me specifically ("top of tier 3") he said he had to be a little pessimistic about my chances. :(

Nonetheless, I'm going to see it through to the end and keep my fingers crossed! Best,

-blue

Hey ephgirl, thanks for the info, because I believe I was offered your position off the wait list the following monday; it is one week later today. I was also at the "top of tier 2" and I can't wait to be going to Yale this fall. :cool: In the end, all the attention I paid to Yale (letters of intent to committee/ interviewers, addt'l recs, recent publication) I feel was probably worth it- I certainly didn't pay the same amount of attention to any other school. I don't believe it changed my position on the list, instead I was probably always kept in mind. Yet, I feel I am very fortunate, and am excited to see everyone there soon.

Blueskies, Yes keep hope alive! Although it is a slow year, your statistics are still valid, 50% of time some of Tier 3 gets in. Note that not everyone in Tier 2 will accept an offer (e.g. ephgirl). Dir. Silverman is offering you honest but probably cautious advice. Although one might be inclined to be pessimistic this year due to the delay, the Director did admit to me that nobody really knows when the list will finally close. In fact there were a handful of people left on the wait list last year that they wanted to keep around till the end. A day before matriculation, an acceptee defered and one of the waitlistees (who was driving with family through New Haven at the time) was pulled off the list and matriculated the following day! It can happen! So if you want to stay in the running, taking the initiative can only help. Try to accomplish something this summer and write, call and inform the committee when you do! Be proactive and do what you can to improve your chances!

Good luck to everyone! I can tell you are all going to be a bunch of stars!

-ducaliner2

After essentially deciding it was all over (you can read my last posts to see how down I was) I called Friday morning ready to hear bad news....only to find out they had accepted me only minutes before my phone call!!!

After all that agonizing, it's still been hard to let go of my sunny, beautiful state school....but it's Yale, and I am syked to see your beautiful faces very soon....I actually flew out to New Haven and just got back today, and while sitting in Silverman's office I kept thinking about UCLAchris, LRMed, CCrazie, and some of the regulars on this list - I'm seriously hoping that you all hear news soon - I want you all in my class!