Yale Waitlist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LRmed2003

BlueDevil turn'd TarHeel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sooooo..what do we/y'all know about the Yale waitlist process. Is it ranked, tiered, etc? Has anyone called to find out the details?:)

Members don't see this ad.

As a matter of fact, I called this morning to find out when it would be tiered and it will be done in the first couple weeks in May. I guess they have to see who is going to stay on the waitlist and approximately how many spots they'll have open before letting us know where we stand. Is Yale your top choice?

In case you didn't know, there's usually 3 tiers: 1st tier is almost guaranteed acceptance, 2nd tier they take some from usually, 3rd tier is extremely unlikely. That's what I've been told from others at least.

I spoke with Richard Silverman by email today. He suggested that waitlist tierings should be ready in about two weeks. Best wishes to everyone waiting with me!

Members don't see this ad :)
bluehen,

that's even better. I had heard a rumor that they told people it would take a long time last year and then it didn't. I didn't know if they just told some people that to keep people from calling everyday or if it was the truth. Glad to hear I'll have somewhat of a better idea in a few weeks. C'mon tier one.....come to daddy. Good luck to everyone.

I forgot to add, in two or three weeks, when the tiers are finalized, you can call the admissions office (Veronica) to set up a phone appointment to discuss your admissions/waitlist status with Richard Silverman. I don't know that they will call you or email you to notify you of your tier status, but they apparently are willing to discuss it with you at length if you take the initiative to call. I think they may only contact you with the final decision (if you don't call). Best wishes again ccCrazie and others. Yale is my first choice, as I know it is for many others on the waitlist from sdn.

When is Yale's 2nd look?

the revisit weekend is in early may... around the 3rd and 4th i believe (not 100% positive -- i don't have the stuff in front of me right now).

Any news on when we'll know what tier we're on?

Hey Kurtz,

You analyze this stuff as much as I do. But to make you feel a little better I'll put in my thoughts. Those forms they sent us asking if we want to be on the waitlist were to be sent back within ten days. That was like two weeks ago basically. So they're probably still sorting through those and figuring out how many people are going to stay on the waitlist. Then they probably come up with a preliminary estimate of how many people are at least going to hold their acceptances until may 15th. Then they probably start designating tiers. If the committee meets once a week, then it probably takes a couple weeks (after they get back their waitlist response forms). So I think it's possible some people may hear in the next couple weeks, but it's also possible that it could be longer. Personally I think they tell us they designate tiers in May so we won't worry and go nuts in the mean time. For now I'm not nervous, but I will be once I start seeing other people get in off the waitlist. Good luck to you. And so you're not alone, I was glad to see a reply to this thread because I check 10 times a day. Pathetic....

Just bumping up.

Any news lately? Anyone talked to the admissions office to see if we're tiered yet?

yeah they are definitely tiered now

Did you talk to the admissions office? If so, any idea when we will find out?

Wow, this waitlist saga is really draining :(

How did you find out that their tiered? When do they let us know? Should we call? We need answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called and they said that they will take those calls on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, between 2 and 3.

anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet? anyone have any new information about the waitlist?

Just talked to Mr. Silverman. I'm on the second tier waitlist. The first tier is very small and everyone gets in, the second tier is "smallish" but larger than the first. Some years everyone gets in, other years not as many. It's unpredictable. He didn't really go into the third tier much because I wasn't in it. He said that it's unranked within each tier so there's constant reevaluation. They haven't taked anyone off the waitlist yet but they expect to in the next couple weeks. Call before 3 if you want to know your status. Anyone else call already?

I spoke to Mr Silverman as well...I'm on the second half of the first tier. He said that the numbers accepted off the waitlist vary widely. Apparently one year they accepted 50-something people, another year only 19. He said that we are not ranked numerically within the tier, and that the committee sits down and reviews all similarly grouped applicants for each space. He also said that we should send in info that would help us choose individuals if we were sitting on the committee. I've been really impressed with how friendly and supportive the Yale adcom has been - more so than other schools that won't tell me anything!

Btw, any thoughts on Columbia vs. Yale? I loved the Yale system but wasn't too sure of New Haven vs. NY.

Good luck to everyone - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

I called today also. Unfortunately, I only got through on the twentieth try, at 3:06, 6 minutes too late to find out my status. Fortunately, I was able to leave my name and number on a list that will be called during the next scheduled session, which unfortunately will not be until next Wednesday, April 23. Best wishes to ccCrazie, Mirla and others who have found out their positions on the list. I hope to be at Yale with you in the fall.

Sorry... That might have been me... I called at 2PM, Director Silverman was busy, Veronica took my work number and I _WAS_ supposed to be first on the list of people to talk to the Director... But then all these crazies and what not called (hehe) and I was forgotten until about 5 till 3, when Veronica called me and told me I was 4th in line to speak to the Director (because the phone was pretty much going totally crazy with people calling)... Basically after 50 minutes of palpitations after my call at 2PM, I spoke to the Director... Nothing really new to add other than that they will be meeting every few weeks (starting next week) to mull over the waitlisters. I too am in the middle.

GOOD LUCK to all.

I hope we all get in!

C

NOTE: ONLY call between 2 and 3 PM ET on MWF. The director will not be in this Friday, and the first day we can call back is the 23rd

PS: I agree, they are so friendly... no need to make them go insane with excess calls! :)

Since today was the next possible day for people to call, did anyone find out anything new or find out what tier they're on? Anybody find out last week and not post anything?

The director will not be taking calls today-- according to my convesation with Veronica on Wed... I think the 23rd is the 1st day this week that we can call...

Hey Guys,

Anything new with the Yale waiting list? Anyone get accepted off of it yet? We could use some new info on this thread.

edbluehen, aren't you going to UVa as of now? I thought I remembered your screenname from a thread on UVa. If I'm right then you and I are in the same boat (waitlisted at Yale, otherwise going to UVa). Good luck to you.

C'mon guys, there's gotta be something new!

Hi ccCrazie. I found out that I'm in the third tier of the waitlist, albeit at the top of the third tier. Director Silverman was somewhat encouraging in that he suggested i call back after May 15, and if the waitlist was moving significantly, I would have a realistic shot at Yale. But as I thought it over, I really liked UVa, and Charlottesville, and so I've pretty much decided to go there. Best wishes to you as you continue to wait for Yale. If it doesn't work out, I'll see you in the fall! I can't wait to start at UVa!

Hey all,
I'm with the blue hen. . .3rd tier wait-list. Word I recieved from Mr. Silverman was that "in recent memory, all of tier 1 has been accepted; about 40-45% of the time all of tier 2 is accepted; and therefore, about 40-45% of the time, tier 3 is opened for acceptances."

Anyway, I'm apparently at "the top of tier 3" as well, hen. In fact, he said last year my position was offered admission. So I bet you're probably my "wait-list neighbor" in one direction or other!

Best wishes to y'all; hope to see you this Fall in New Haven!

-blueSkies

He also told me that I was the very top of tier 3, essentially tier 2. How can we all be the very top of tier 3? Sounds like he is just trying to keep our hopes up :( Maybe I'm just being a cynic. Waitlist stinks!

Told me to call back after the 9th for more info.

blueskies,

you made my night with that 40-45% statistic. I'm 2nd tier and yale is my first choice, so hopefully it will all work out. good luck to you. Hopefully we'll both get lucky and be bulldogs next year.

Does anyone know if there has been any movement?

Also, what are your predictions on the sizes of tiers 1 and 2? I'd say maybe 20 for #1 and 30 for #2 . . .

Hey y'all -

ccC: glad you liked the stat--being tier 2, I've got a good feeling you'll get in

Regarding the size of the tiers, I think they're probably like 25 in tier 1, 25 in tier 2, 50-100 in tier 3. According to US News, Yale accepted 221 applicants to fill 101 seats. Mr. Silverman also told me that last year tier 3 was opened for acceptance.

My guess is they accept 150 people in the first round, 25 people in tier 1 (all get in), 25 people in tier 2 (usually all get in), bringing the total of initial acceptees + tier 1 + tier 2 = 150 + 25 + 25 = 200. So my guess is that last year 21 people from tier 3 got in. . ..

So how's that? Do you think I've been analyzing this too much? ;) What do y'all think?

Cheers!

-blueSkies

blueskies,

I don't think you can spend too much time analyzing the waitlist. I might just be saying that though becuase I've been analyzing the hell out of it though. I definitely like your math though. Silverman told me 3 weeks ago that I could check back again soon and see if there was movement and that I should wait at least 2 weeks. So I tried calling monday between 2 and 3 but I couldn't get through. I just kept getting a message that everyone in the office was busy and I should try again. I think I might try again tomorrow or Friday. Since they just had their second look, and the deadline is approaching, we'll probably see some movement soon. I'll let you know what I find out if I call and get through. Good luck everyone and keep the optimistic math coming.

Hey all you future Yalites! Good luck on getting off the waitlist. I just heard from Silverman today and was accepted off of the waitlist. I don't know what teir I was on because I never called to find out, but this is a brief quote of their waitlist letter to me...

"As your letter explains, the High Waiting List is a crucial part of our admissions process. Our initial offers of admission tend to be somewhat conservative in number, because we need to control our enrollment precisely. We know that you are a very strong Yale applicant, and we regret having to prolong your uncertainty. Please know that we will do everything we can to speed the process and give you a final decision. Applicants on the High Waiting List will be the first students accepted into the incoming class as spaces become available."

And just to let you guys know what you can expect once you get accepted, here is a quote from my acceptance email...

"I am writing to let you know that you have been accepted by the YaleUniversity School of Medicine. Your official letter of acceptance was mailed earlier this afternoon, but I wanted to get you this information as quickly as possible.
As you will see when you receive your acceptance letter, we are asking you to reply our our offer within 10 days, but if you need additional time, or if you have questions about Yale, please let me know.
Congratulations on your acceptance. I look forward to speaking with you soon."

To ease all of your hearts, I don't think that I will be going to Yale. I got in to UPenn School of Medicine too, so that is probably where I'll end up. Good luck to all those people who are still waiting (I know the wait is simply hellish), but acceptance off the waitlist is happening so keep up your good spirits and keep the dream alive. I hope this helps relieve some of your stress.

~Laters
:cool:

Originally posted by Shocker360J
Hey all you future Yalites
psssst... it's "yalies"...

good luck to y'all from me as well.

I stand corrected,"Yalie" is the proper nomenclature not "Yalite." Sorry if I've offended Yale Gods. I'll be sure to sacrifice (drink) a beer for them tonight in hopes of winning back their favor. :p

Hey Shocker,

Thanks for the heads up. It's nice to know that the waiting list is starting to move now. It's also nice to know that everyone on the Waiting List isn't necessarily going to go to Yale so it should move even faster. Good luck to you at Penn. Does anyone know if everyone on the first tier received a letter saying "High Waiting List?" Or were there people who had to call to find out? Just curious.

The waiting list is finally moving! Now it gets interesting.....

Hey ccCrazie,

I am really hoping things work out for you even if I have given up on the Yale thing myself. I really think things are looking good if you are on tier 2 :)

I'm planning on calling Friday to talk to Mr. Silverman again, so I will update everyone then.

Originally posted by Shocker360J
Hey all you future Yalites! Good luck on getting off the waitlist. I just heard from Silverman today and was accepted off of the waitlist. I don't know what teir I was on because I never called to find out, but this is a brief quote of their waitlist letter to me...

Awesome Shocker!!! Congrats! Go Yalies!

That's nice that they give us at least 10 days to decide. Can you imagine the stress if you had to make a spot decision?

Anyone else calling on Friday? I think I'm waiting until May 19th (I'll be away on May 14-16). I really don't like tempting fate-- even if fate tempts me!

Best of luck!
C

Thanks for the support Merlin, but I wouldn't give up hope if I were you. You said you were at the top of the 3rd and the numbers we've been throwing around lately say that the third tier is touched almost half the time.

I tried to call a bunch of times today and I got through at 3. I was told that he just finished taking calls but I was put on a list to be called on Friday, so it might be hard to get through on Friday if he's got a list of people to call. I have a few things to ask him but are there any other questions that anyone else has? If I have time (I don't want to be a nuisance) I can try to get them answered too.

So did anyone manage to get through today? If you did, fill us in. Keep up the hope everyone.

Hey guys -

Schocker: mega-congrats, man! And mega-thanks for declining the acceptance! ;)

Here's a question: when do you suppose they begin accepting from the tier 3 wait-list? Apparently tier 1 is being hit already. . ..

Hmmm. . .. I think I'm going to call somewhere around the 22nd or so. . .about a week after the 15 May cutoff.

Got my fingers crossed for y'all!

-blueSkies

man, ive been researching schools lately (applying next year) and i have fallen in love with yale.

if you dont mind me asking, what kind of stats do you guys have? i know the average numbers, but im trying to get a feel for the range so i know what to shoot for.

thanks!

Hi Indyzx,

I think looking at the averages is the way to go. I am under the impression that if you are hovering around the average for a school like Yale you are competitive anywhere (but never a guarantee). Then it comes down to the interview, your other qualities etc. I would check out mdapplicants.com to get a better profile of individual people, particularly those from your school or a similar one. Some people will be lower, some higher, thus an average :)

I know a lot of people at Yale who have numbers right about at their average. These people are all from Harvard or Yale though, and I don't know if the numbers might be slightly different from these two schools since Yale seems to have a ton of people from them.

Good luck in the application cycle! I hope you don't end up waiting as long as we have :)

hey guys... I called a few weeks ago and found out I was on the first tier (on the bottom of it) I never got a letter saying anything about a "high waiting list" and have not recieved an acceptance yet, so looks like they're still moving through the list slowly...hope that helps.

btw, they wouldn't move people off a tier, would they? I'm terrified at this point :)

I really hope to see all of you at Yale!

OK everyone, got some new information here....

I just talked to Mr. Silverman and he told me that this year they have had extremely little waitlist movement. That got me worried but then he said that this has been the case at many of the top medical schools this year so it sounds like a lot of people are just holding multiple acceptances and just can't seem to make up their minds. So don't worry Mirla, you'll be going to Yale.

He also gave me a few hopeful statistics. He said that every single year all the people on tier 1 have been accepted. About 50% of the time everyone in tier 2 has been accepted. Which means that 50% of the time they dip into tier 3 and he said what they do in tier 3 is "very unpredictable." The fewest number of students to ever come off the waiting list (out of the 100 he said) is 19, and the most is 59. So I guess that means the students they've made offers to and the students have accepted the offers. That's good news I guess. That 50% is even higher than the 40-45% we threw around before.

Since movement has been very slow so far, he said that they expect two waves of acceptances to come out soon. The first will be about the 15th of the month as they hear from everyone holding multiple acceptances. The second major wave will be around the 25th since the people given offers on the 15th will have to respond by the 25th. So hopefully the end of May will be very busy and blow through the waiting list. Lastly, he said that the committee is meeting again on Monday, so I don't know if they're going to take a couple students then or just have some coffee and maybe a danish.

So that's all the info I was able to get today. Mr. Silverman is extremely helpful when you call and lets you know everything he can so don't be hesitant to call him if you haven't yet. I did ask him how many people are on each tier and he said they won't release that information because it makes people think there is a rank order and it's a very fluid process. He also doesn't know when each tier will begin moving really because it's been so slow so far. The next 3 weeks should see a lot of us getting in though. Good luck to everyone and I hope this information was helpful in relieving some waiting list-induced stress.

I just wanted to let everyone on the waitlist know that I am turning down my acceptance at YSOM so that should be a spot for someone. I'm going to Pitt with my girlfriend. Remember that YSOM rejects 85% post interview so to even be on the waitlist means you are quite special. Good luck to everyone on tier 2 and 3. cheers.

Originally posted by indiamacbean
I just wanted to let everyone on the waitlist know that I am turning down my acceptance at YSOM so that should be a spot for someone. I'm going to Pitt with my girlfriend. Remember that YSOM rejects 85% post interview so to even be on the waitlist means you are quite special. Good luck to everyone on tier 2 and 3. cheers.

are you confident enough in your relationship to give up such a GREAT med school? not that u pitt is bad, but it's no yale.. just don't regret your decision in the future.

Originally posted by ccCrazie
OK everyone, got some new information here....

I just talked to Mr. Silverman and he told me that this year they have had extremely little waitlist movement. That got me worried but then he said that this has been the case at many of the top medical schools this year so it sounds like a lot of people are just holding multiple acceptances and just can't seem to make up their minds. So don't worry Mirla, you'll be going to Yale.

Arrrrrgh! But here comes the good news!

He also gave me a few hopeful statistics. He said that every single year all the people on tier 1 have been accepted. About 50% of the time everyone in tier 2 has been accepted. Which means that 50% of the time they dip into tier 3 and he said what they do in tier 3 is "very unpredictable." The fewest number of students to ever come off the waiting list (out of the 100 he said) is 19, and the most is 59. So I guess that means the students they've made offers to and the students have accepted the offers. That's good news I guess. That 50% is even higher than the 40-45% we threw around before.

Those are the exact stats he gave me when I called too. So here are how big the tiers are (according to my quick and dirty calculations):

1) If all of tier 1 gets in, and the lowest number of waitlistees accepted has been 19, then tier 1 <= 19 people

2) If the most that have been let in of the waitlist is 59, then the most number of people accepted from tiers 2 & 3 = 40.

3) Given (2), and if 50% of the time everyone from tier 2 has been let in, tier 2 should be 25-35 people (assume a normal distribution around the average (39 people, max 59, min 19)

4) Therefore, if the total # of waitlistees = 100, then
Tier 1 = 19 (20) people
Tier 2 = 30 people
Tier 3 = 50 people

5) Recall from US News & World Report stats, that about 200 people are offered admission for 101 spots. If the initial batch of acceptance is 150 and the school expects approximately half to go to Yale (due to multiple offers, etc.), that would leave roughly 50 waitlistees.

Since movement has been very slow so far, he said that they expect two waves of acceptances to come out soon. The first will be about the 15th of the month as they hear from everyone holding multiple acceptances. The second major wave will be around the 25th since the people given offers on the 15th will have to respond by the 25th. So hopefully the end of May will be very busy and blow through the waiting list. Lastly, he said that the committee is meeting again on Monday, so I don't know if they're going to take a couple students then or just have some coffee and maybe a danish.

Well, from trolling around SDN, we know the following accepted people are not going (or probably not)

1) indiamcbean (going to pitt)
2) indianboy (going to cornell?)
3) dr. dodger dog (SC?)
4) sunnygirl (?)
5) jtheater (?)

We know of one SDNer who has gotten off of the list!
1) shocker360J

Now, if we assume that SDN POSTERS represent only a small fraction of the overall applicant/matriculant population AND that many of the posters represent higher level applicants (recall how many people have been accepted or waitlisted AND posted (no more than 20 total)), I think there will be some good movement!

Go Yalies!
C

PS: Let's add to these lists! And keep hope alive!

Wow uclahris. It's official now: You've analyzed this waitlist more than me. It's definitely not easy to come up with hard numbers in this process but you've done a pretty good job of figuring out some possibilities. I hope you're right and this is one of those years where there is great movement. I wish it had already started but as long as it still happens I'll be happy. Good luck to you and to everyone else out there waiting.

The following accepted people are not going (or probably not):

1) indiamcbean (going to pitt)
2) indianboy (going to cornell?)
3) dr. dodger dog (SC?)
4) sunnygirl (?)
5) jtheater (?)
6) fava (?)

We know of one SDNer who has gotten off of the list!
1) shocker360J

Moops (and anyone else who cares)-
I know that I won't regret my decision down the line and here's why. Going into this process, Yale was always me dream school for obvious reasons. I just about lost my **** when I got in. Once it came down to it and I had to make some hard choices about school,relationships etc., I thought that I would seek some advice from those in the know. I contacted the chiefs of surgery and cardiology as well as a bunch of affiliated CT surgeons and residency directors at Wash U, Hopkins, UCSF and Harvard and asked them about their opinions regarding UCLA, Yale and Pitt vis a vis residency placement and career impact. The answers I got across the board were that all three of these are great schools and your shot at getting a super competitive residency depends most greatly on your personal performance in school. while some people had preferences for one particular school, they were far from all being in agreement. beyond that (and this surprised me greatly) Yale's surgery and EM programs were weaker than Pitt's or UCLA in their eyes. I also contacted Eiserson (sp?) the author of the book "How to Get into Residency" and his answer was again that with these schools it depends much more on performance. SDN places such a focus on ranking and I think it is important, but depending on your field of interest it is much more important to pick school by school. While it would have been nice to say that I went to med school at YALE and maybe even have a "For God, For Country, For Yale" bumper sticker on my truck I can always use my undergrad school (or maybe me residency) to impress the prestige mongers.
If you thought passing Yale by was hard, try giving up UCLA with instate tuition or UVA with a huge financial aid package. but then again, you should meet my girlfriend. I would give my left leg to be with her.

Congrats to you indiamacbean. It sounds like you have your priorities in order and your head on straight. And I'm not just saying that because you're turning down Yale and I'm on the waitlist (although I am quite grateful). Pitt's an awesome school and I don't think there's a big difference between the prestige of Pitt and Yale in the medical community (although to joe nobody there might be). Good luck to you at Pitt and I hope things go well for you and the little lady.

i sent you a PM b/c i couldnt get your email for some reason

"If you thought passing Yale by was hard, try giving up UCLA with instate tuition or UVA with a huge financial aid package. but then again, you should meet my girlfriend. I would give my left leg to be with her."

That is adorable. Your girlfriend is a lucky girl!

Good luck at Pitt!