Yeshiva-reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajjessica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have applied to Yeshiva Univ- Health Psych. PhD. programs. My interview went pretty well. I am hoping to hear a positive response from them.
Just wondering if anyone knows about the reputation of the program in general. I know it is not APA approved yet but they had a site visit last fall and are waiting to hear back. How is the funding situation and what is the general feeling of the students in the program. How much would you recommend the program.
I would appreciate your help
Any thought.....
Thnx

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied to YU's Clinical/Health program and I actually recieved an acceptance letter from them yesterday. I know several students in the program, and they have nothing but positive things to say about it.
I don't think that they give very much funding. My acceptance letter didn't offer any.

I have concerns about the degree itself - if a Clinical/Health degree narrows your opportunities, compared to a clinical degree. I was also accepted into a clinical Ph.D. program, and I think I will wind up there instead of YU only because of this concern. I've been told that a clin/health degree is ideal if you want to work in a hospital, but I don't know! Have you heard anything about this?

Congratulations!
The program is not APA approved. This is a BIG turn off for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
It most likely will be APA approved in the fall, and I think they will know in a couple of weeks whether they have been approved or not. People in the program told me that there was a very small chance they would not get accreditation. And, current students, even those in internship this year, would be able to say they graduated from an APA program - so it obviously won't affect 2006 first-years. So I'm not letting that impact my decision! I really think it is a great program.

I applied and was accepted there last year. I did not go for three reasons although I loved the program and the students seemed very happy: 1) not a mentor model 2) not APA accredited and 3) they offered no funding and told me I'd have to PAY tuition.

Instead I went to an APA accredited school that offered tuition waiver, stipend and a health psychology concentration.

If you were to choose between St. Johns Clinical Psych PhD and Yeshiva Health Conc PhD program which one would you choose?

That was actually my decision up until the last minute when I got accepted to Drexel. I really liked Yeshiva's program, especially because of my interest in Health Psych, although my decision was to go to St. John's even though I didn't like the program as much because it was accredited. If Yeshiva has a GOOD chance of being accredited I would go there, personally. In the end, it's where you feel you had a better fit. In the end, I was accepted to a third school which was a better fit for me. I don't know how money plays into it either. I know at each of the NY schools I would have been expected to pay tuition. If you can get a stipend or tuition waiver, that could also be worth a lot in the decision making. Neither program seemed extremely research oriented so it's not like you'd be stuck doing a lot of research you hate.

I was also accepted to the clinical health program at Yeshiva and am trying to make a decision. Does anyone know why they lost their APA status?

rajjessica said:
If you were to choose between St. Johns Clinical Psych PhD and Yeshiva Health Conc PhD program which one would you choose?

have you heard from St. John's? i interviewed there too and i am really hoping to get accepted! but i haven't heard from them.

as far as i know, yeshiva's clinical/health program never lost accredidation, but they are a relatively new program and are only applying for it now. and from what i have been told (by someone in the program, so i don't know if that makes the info more or less reliable), they will most likely be accredited this fall.
i am also having trouble deciding between their program and another - i work with some people from YU clin/health, and they are really happy. but i'm not sure, i don't think their program is as well-known as others. anyone have any thoughts?

rsd1188 said:
I was also accepted to the clinical health program at Yeshiva and am trying to make a decision. Does anyone know why they lost their APA status?

It's a new program that hasn't been accredited yet. I think they have their first site visit last fall or spring and have a good chance of being accredited in the near future.

when I interviewed at Yeshiva, the director of the clinical health program told me that they lost their APA accreditation and were trying to get it back.

That must be wrong. When I interviewed he told me that they were less than five years old and had therefore not been eligible to receive accreditation. Maybe another one of their programs lost their accreditation? Did they used to have a Clinical Psych (non Health) PhD program there?

I haven't heard from St. John's either. But I know that their program is much reputed than Yeshiva's . St Johns offers longer duration of supervised training. The faculty at ST. Johns is very well renowned and their Placements are better. The students their are very happy and confident about the research and clinical experience they are recv.
I have my fingers crossed.
Lets see..

I just received a phone call and e-mail that Ferkauf got their APA accreditation today!