yet another DIY- vs structured-postbac question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cottard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know this kind of question gets asked all the time, but I'm looking for some input on a post-bac path.

I'm a non-trad, 24, philosophy major undergrad, gpa a bloody 3.0, only took a single science course. I've just been accepted to UPenn's Core Studies postbac. However, it is extremely expensive. I'm also a research assistant in a lab at Princet*n, and as an employee, I can take classes at Ye Olde Fancy University for cheap, so I'm wondering if that would be a better route.

From what I understand, Penn pros are linkages (if you can get them), "name brand," structure, classes aimed/tailored specifically for my demographic, committee letters, and being able to start right away. But the cost is awful, I'd probably have to pay a large chunk out of pocket and live very tight/not be able to save at all, the commute is expensive (no car) and time-consuming.

Going the DIY route, I don't have to worry about money or commute, classes are still Ivy-quality (if that matters?), and in theory I'd be able to take more courses, thereby doing more gpa repair. But, it's too late to apply for this fall, so I'd have to start in the spring, and of course no 101s for chem/bio/physics are offered in the spring, so I'd have to make do with maybe some MCAT prep via sociology or psych courses. I can also only take two classes per semester, but could supplement with classes at nearby universities if I had to. It seems like I might even be able to get a committee letter, but I need to call the dept and check. I'm a little wary about waiting even longer to start, though---I feel like I'm already on the way to being too old to apply.

Any advice? Can DIYs be successful? The potential for linkage is mainly what's got me torn. Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As somebody going through this process too, I can tell you this from all the hours searching this site. DIY postbacs can be successful. Many are. I'd also say if the linkage is mainly what's got you torn, then do a DIY. My GPA, although a little better than yours, like yours is too low to link even if you were in a program that had linkage agreements. UVM had a 3.5 min for example and I've heard linkage agreements elsewhere require a 3.5 cGPA or higher.

Reactions: 1 user
As somebody going through this process too, I can tell you this from all the hours searching this site. DIY postbacs can be successful. Many are. I'd also say if the linkage is mainly what's got you torn, then do a DIY. My GPA, although a little better than yours, like yours is too low to link even if you were in a program that had linkage agreements. UVM had a 3.5 min for example and I've heard linkage agreements elsewhere require a 3.5 cGPA or higher.

Most linkage programs require a 3.5 or higher in the program.