Yet another...Experience Section question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocOcoC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time reselling stuff and offered computer help locally (advertised on CL)... I worked myself not under any company... so didn't get any official checks. Made thousands of $$S in the last 3 years while in med school

Can I include that anywhere in the ERAS application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can - just put "self" as your employer - but what benefit is there in it? It's just a job you do to help pay the bills. I don't see how it would impress the programs.

You can - just put "self" as your employer - but what benefit is there in it? It's just a job you do to help pay the bills. I don't see how it would impress the programs.

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to know whether to put it under experiences or hobbies/interests, I guess.

I am not including it to impress programs... I'm sure 90% of what the programs see under experiences does not impress them since everyone does the same things... I just wanted to include it because I spent a significant amount of time in it.

Anyone else have any input?

Last edited:
It could go under hobbies, I think, since you're not making a career out of it.

Just out of curiosity... is there a consensus regarding whether or not you should include a "Research Experience" for a project that has also been published or presented (and would thus be entered in "Publications" already)? It seems a bit redundant but it seems like a lot of people I've been talking to have been doing this. Just wondering what people here have been doing.

Just out of curiosity... is there a consensus regarding whether or not you should include a "Research Experience" for a project that has also been published or presented (and would thus be entered in "Publications" already)? It seems a bit redundant but it seems like a lot of people I've been talking to have been doing this. Just wondering what people here have been doing.

It's not really redundant because lots of folks research without getting any publications and others get many publications out of a single research stint. It's not like research = publication. So your research job is one where you actually worked on one or more projects, and a publication may or may not be the end result of your effort.