yet another LOR question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kt818

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to path programs this year and I'm in the process of gathering LOR's. Right now I plan to get one from my medicine sub-I and from the pathologist I did my Surg path elective with. My third letter right now is from a PhD pathologist who runs an away elective I just participated in. My question is, should I try to get another LOR from an MD (who would probably be a clinician not a pathologist) or is it better to have a LOR from a pathologist even though he isn't an MD. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well first of all...my theory is:

go with 3 STRONG letters. if you can get a 4th strong letter, then great....but i think it's better to submit no additional LORs rather than submitting an average LOR.

2ndly, if you are getting 4 LORs, then I think combining 2 Path LORs with 2 clinical ones is a good plan. Seeing 3 Path LORs seems like a bit much, might make you look a bit more one dimensional than they wanna see.

just my opinion...

all the best and cheers!
r

i threw in two path attendings...a psychiatrist and a pediatrician i published with...

Members don't see this ad :)
kt818 said:
I am applying to path programs this year and I'm in the process of gathering LOR's. Right now I plan to get one from my medicine sub-I and from the pathologist I did my Surg path elective with. My third letter right now is from a PhD pathologist who runs an away elective I just participated in. My question is, should I try to get another LOR from an MD (who would probably be a clinician not a pathologist) or is it better to have a LOR from a pathologist even though he isn't an MD. Thanks!

I would suggest getting a LOR from the chair of your school's pathology department, if at all possible. Although I don't believe it is an absolute necessity, it can really strengthen an application. Even if you have never worked with him/her, sometimes just setting up a meeting to talk about your interest in pathology is enough for them to agree to write you a letter. That's what I did when I applied, and I was very glad that I did.

I would say that one letter from a clinician is plenty, unless you think that there is someone else you know really well who could write you an incredibly strong letter. I think if it were me, I would choose the letter from a PhD pathologist over another clinician, just because it is likely to contain more relevent comments. (But that's just me...maybe others would advise you differently.)
Good luck.

kt818 said:

At most university programs you will interview with a PhD only pathologist. There are lots of phds in clinical chem at places all over the country - most are in chemistry or micro. Some phd only folks are also researchers with some teaching responsibilities. So letters from one would definitely be respected, depending on what they can talk about in regards to you. People who run electives are good to get letters from because they will generally have lots of information that others say about you.

Weil-Felix's comment is a good one about the chair - sometimes the chair is somewhat unapproachable, but other leadership positions like director of AP or the residency PD are also good. They are generally experienced in what makes a good reference letter and also know what to look for.

I had 4 letters: 1 from the path dept at my school, 1 from the director of the FP clinic I worked at, 1 from the director of my internal medicine rotation and one from a pediatrician I worked with. Good letters from well-known pathologists can't hurt but are not essential.