Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh, lame. Well, residency, then teach? I wonder what it would be like if WVUPharm2007 were a teacher. 😵Can't teach anymore without a residency...
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Oh, lame. Well, residency, then teach? I wonder what it would be like if WVUPharm2007 were a teacher. 😵Can't teach anymore without a residency...
Are you serious?
WE HAVE NO NEED FOR MORE PHARMACISTS HERE IN NJ.
These people in academia are absolutely out of touch with reality.

you two take care of dallas and I will lead the satellite program here in San Antone...Where is Z at? I think we should start a Pharmacy School here in Dallas. You could be the dean if you wanted to.
I wonder what it would be like if WVUPharm2007 were a teacher. 😵
SO, just to prepare myself for the future, when where you graduated from starts to matter - I assume I'm good to go with Rutgers, right? I mean, I don't really pay much attention to the whole 'ranking' system so I have no clue...
Rutgers is a "decent" school on my 3 tiered "decent," "acceptable but sketchy," and "just plain sketchy" scale.
So how exactly does the AMA keep the number of medical colleges from exploding? It's pretty clear there is intense demand for primary care docs. What are they doing to keep standards high and prevent high supply low demand situation?
And people get mad when we look down upon the new schools? I had a PCAT in the 80s, math and chem in the upper 90s, a 3.4 science GPA and I made it in by a tiny margin. I mean, like, deferred until May 30th. Someone had to refuse their seat for me to get in. Today, I'd be the prized admittee at some of these new schools. Good gawd...
The lack of qualified professionals teaching courses for these new programs is definitely a problem. Not only that, increasing numbers of applicants may lead to acceptance of lower quality students.
You think that declining quality and saturation in this profession won't catch up to you? You're only a resident now. I can't see how anyone can justify a lack of concern about this issue unless you're retiring soon or planning on a career change. Increased competition for jobs is going to lead to lower pay in most cases, especially in retail. And low quality pharmacists will lose respect for the profession, probably leading to less pay and responsibility.glad i got in and done when i did
Allow me to take a different point-of-view.
Not excatly. You could get an interview almost anywhere with those stats today. Remember, people with sub par stats have been getting into competative programs forever, it's not just new schools who accept sub 3.0 GPA's and weak PCAT scores. People can keep using weak examples of sub par pre-pharmers geting into newby schools, but that's an exception even at those schools, just check the stats for new school avg entering GPA's on the AACP site. And everyone can keep glorifying their schools strict admissions, but it really isn't that linear. People aren't academic robots with perfect stats, so no matter how selective you say your school is I GARUNTEE there were plenty accepted with some less than stellar aspects of their application.
I don't think just because a school is new it means it's going to produce chumps.
Take USN as an example. Pretty new school, but very selective admissions and a growing rep. for producing solid RPh's.
So, here's a school you shiat on for being new but you guys probbaly coudn't score an interview yourself.
Overall, admissions is just random.
You can't assume every new school is just out to make money and will accept anybody regardless of stats.



For example, I have a 3.9GPA and 90+ PCAT and was accepted to some "good ol' boy" 80 year old established schools from out-of-state and rejected pre-interview from some newby ass schools like SJF.
And New Schools...boo hooo biatch.. Your parties being crashed and you're sulking like little bitches.
Reality is, new schools aren't matriculating classes of boneheads.
Most are probably taking people just as competative as yourself.
Btw, what do you expect when a huge f'in pharmacist shortage S.O.S. has been displayed in the media for the last 5 years.
The PCAT you took, if you even had to, is way more challenging now than when you took it. In fact, people who took it before June 2008 get their scores scaled back about 5 points to equate for the current test difficulty. .
Pssshhh please. You actually buy the shiat coming out your pie hole? You know the increase in pharm applicants has made admissions more selective. The PCAT you took, if you even had to, is way more challenging now than when you took it. In fact, people who took it before June 2008 get their scores scaled back about 5 points to equate for the current test difficulty. Btw, that's an interesting point of view seeing as you go to a pharm school that offers an online pharmD.
In the Chicago area, a new pharmacy school at Chicago State U just opened up. What makes it funny is that CSU is considered to be one of the worst schools in the entire state. They are constantly having troubles at that school. I have no idea where they are going to do their rotations. Most of the major sites already have students from UIC, Midwestern, or Purdue. Sometimes, you even see a student from Drake. Some of the sites have exclustivity agreements with either UIC or Midwestern.
What makes it worse, is that the Chicago area is almost completely saturated. There are still opportunities in undesireable locations, but I wouldn't be surprise by the time the first CSU grad graduates, those locations will be filled.
Same here in NYC. Touro opened up with its dean citing that there is a real shortage of pharmacists in NYC. I have brought up rotation spots many times but its students keep on defending that they will have enough spots. I dont think they understand that besides rotational spots where you work for free in CVS, there are a lot of rotations that they must go through and that a preceptor can only be responsible for X amount of students. With the closing or merging of a few hospitals in NYC area, I really am clueless.
Right...there is a difference between rotation sites and "quality" rotation sites. Sure you can find a ton of Walgreens and CVS's that will take students as free labor...but what beyond that? Preceptors are already bogged down with students.
You must've had fun doing the html for all these quotes.
You must've had fun doing the html for all these quotes.
You must've had fun doing the html for all these quotes.
Wow! A bunch of stupid charts in the SANFORD guide!!!
Wow! A bunch of stupid charts in the SANFORD guide!!!
They can't afford more than one sanford guide so they must all share one.
And, that's not even the 2007 or 2008 antimicrobial edition...
Well, what the hell else are you supposed to do with the things? I can't think of anything else to do with the old ones than use them as props in photo-ops.
The guy in the blue in the picture can't even see the Stanford guide but yet, he's all smiling.![]()
Well, what the hell else are you supposed to do with the things? I can't think of anything else to do with the old ones than use them as props in photo-ops.
I think green was the 2006 edition. I liked the simple black of the 2005 edition.
The 2009 edition is a horrible lime green.
The '03 edition was eye-blinding bright yellow.
And also, yes, generally increasing applicants would increase selectivity and therefore student quality. But not if supply (i.e. spaces available) increases at a higher rate than applicants. Take econ yet?
Straight from Dean Colaizzi's mouth to our Pharm Law class. The best part is - their mission statement (Farleigh Dickinson) explicitly mentions "the pharmacist shortage in NJ."
ridiculooooous...
SO, just to prepare myself for the future, when where you graduated from starts to matter - I assume I'm good to go with Rutgers, right? I mean, I don't really pay much attention to the whole 'ranking' system so I have no clue...
"Dyouville", New England, Cal Northstate...def in the sketchy category...
The 2009 edition is a horrible lime green.
it's a BEAUTIFUL chartreuse!!! 😍
it's a BEAUTIFUL chartreuse!!! 😍
People who decide to go to these programs do not realize that they are screwing themselves over. Soon walgreens and CVS will be hiring from only well-established programs.
I disagree. In a few years those of us that went to well established programs will be able to do better than Walgreesn or CVS.
I disagree. Walgreens and CVS will hire whoever with a license and is willing to take their abuse. Pharmacists who graduated from a well established will take whatever Walgreens/CVS throw at them or compete with each other for a competitive position.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.