Yield Protection Post-Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReapPremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an LM~70 applicant, high MCAT, research heavy, and will be interviewing at LECOM in the fall. I see LECOM has an average GPA and MCAT of 3.2 and 503 (LM 59). I like the school for its PBL curriculum, I hope to stay in the region, and they even have a little research that touches on mine. (And as a non-trad re-applicant I just want to get into a place that's not SGU and get on with my life.)

I've typically understood yield protection in medical school mostly to be about not wasting interviews. But since my scores are competitive at more prestigious schools, and I have a lot of research, should I be worried they might not take me seriously?

Off the top of my head I just plan to go into my interview with a good pitch for "why LECOM," (though its a group interview), and send a strong LOI afterwards. But then again, words are cheap and everyone says they love every school...

Would any adcoms be able to chime in? Are my fears unfounded, or is there something else I should be doing as an interviewee?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an LM~70 applicant, high MCAT, research heavy, and will be interviewing at LECOM in the fall. I see LECOM has an average GPA and MCAT of 3.2 and 503 (LM 59). I like the school for its PBL curriculum, I hope to stay in the region, and they even have a little research that touches on mine. (And as a non-trad re-applicant I just want to get into a place that's not SGU and get on with my life.)

I've typically understood yield protection in medical school mostly to be about not wasting interviews. But since my scores are competitive at more prestigious schools, and I have a lot of research, should I be worried they might not take me seriously?

Off the top of my head I just plan to go into my interview with a good pitch for "why LECOM," (though its a group interview), and send a strong LOI afterwards. But then again, words are cheap and everyone says they love every school...

Would any adcoms be able to chime in? Are my fears unfounded, or is there something else I should be doing as an interviewee?

Not an adcom, but if you have any experience with DOs you shouldn't be too concerned; DO schools aren't adverse to taking "good" applicants. They ideally want good applicants like yourself who know what osteopathic medical education entails. If you had only ever shadowed MDs, or couldnt really answer any of the Why DO questions, then they may see you as being somewhat disingenuous with your interest there.

DO schools do not resource protect. I have interviewed a number of people with Harvard/Stanford caliber stats.

Any DO school will snap you up in heartbeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure which LECOM your interview is at, but at LECOM-B there is a required MMI one-on-one interview, and I know at Erie/SH you have the option to sign up for one. So, you'll definitely have the chance to express to your interviewer why LECOM!

Don't sweat it.... LECOM is one of the few schools that cares the least about "why LECOM." Nor are they primary-care biased/focused. I can't give much hints due to non-disclosure agreements, BUT if the interview is a GROUP interview I think that should show SOME indication as to how they will be evaluating you as a potential student. Also, I know staying close to home is important, but so is the ability to not have to dress in a tie for classes (men), have the ability to drink water in class, not have to attend mandatory lectures (esp. when professors speak so fast it's hard to keep up and you end up re-watching anyways).

Have fun this app cycle. See what else is out there.

If I listened to what StartClass said, I'd be under the impression that DO schools had average admission stats of 2.75gpa and 18 mcat.

Reactions: 3 users
My bad! I was looking here and figured they were reporting the mean of acceptees.

Nice humble brag OP

Reactions: 1 users