Yield Protection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyoma5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do top medical schools practice this? I was accepted at Hopkins very early in the process, and got rejected or waitlisted at every other top ten school except Harvard. My friends tell me this is yield protection, although that doesn't make sense to me since they can incentivize you with money...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Who cares, you got into med school! congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
is incentivize a real word?

Do top medical schools practice this? I was accepted at Hopkins very early in the process, and got rejected or waitlisted at every other top ten school except Harvard. My friends tell me this is yield protection, although that doesn't make sense to me since they can incentivize you with money...

something tells me NO b/c of applicants like Towelie.

'Incentivize' is like "pro-active", "value stream", "lean", and all the other corporate buzzwords that get made up to make people feel like they're cutting edge. I detest this trend in the english language. To the OP, quit your whining. I don't think there's going to be a lot of sympathy for you since you have a JHU and HMS acceptance..

perhaps . . . I'd imagine your safety schools would weight your demonstrated interest in their specific school more than Hopkins/Harvard who probably assume they're going to get most of the people they accept.

I don't think it's for the numbers though . . . the MSAR doesn't even publish how many people the schools accept and most of them don't volunteer that information. It's probably more to go after the people they think they can get (those that seem interested in them).

So . . . maybe (especially if you interviewed at these places after getting your top school acceptances) you didn't seem as interested in them as the other applicants.

man, i was all excited that there was finally a thread about bond trading. alas, it's someone complaining about only being accepted to the two h's.