Yo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be fine. If the answer was yes, would it change when you reapply? Why the extra year off?

You should be fine. If the answer was yes, would it change when you reapply? Why the extra year off?
Actually, @gonnif has provided multiple examples and evidence from schools that reapplying the next cycle after a failed cycle isn’t smart and isn’t advised by various medical schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Almost every medical school I know of will accept MCAT scores that are 2 years old. Some schools will accept older, some schools have no expiration, but it's always 2 years or more. It also doesn't take into account the month, so somebody who took the MCAT in January of 2018 would be able to apply in 2020 (meaning they would be matriculating in the Fall of 2021). Your 2019 MCAT will be fine in 2021.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure most schools have a 3-5 year expiration date.

Actually, @gonnif has provided multiple examples and evidence from schools that reapplying the next cycle after a failed cycle isn’t smart and isn’t advised by various medical schools.

I concede defeat... I'm not reapplying so I assumed that people just did it the next year!

I did a quick scan of a dozen schools. It looks like most of them state that the oldest MCAT accepted is January 2016. A few of them list January 2017. So, I'm assuming those dates will jump to January 2018 and January 2019 in the cycle following this upcoming cycle.

January 2019 is cutting is pretty close. If they pushed that date forward just several months, then my score might be expired. Do you think this is likely to happen? Could they change these dates without significantly early warning?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what the "reference date" for 2 or 3 years is. Why January?
There is no magic to January, and schools use different months, some keyed to when a cycle opens (June), other to when the class matriculates (July or August). January, however, makes the most sense, because that's when a calendar year begins, and when a MCAT year begins.

There is no reason a school will just arbitrarily change an expiration date (other than to maybe give you more time), and no reason they would just randomly move the deadline to a month like March or April for no reason at all, so you can stop worrying. You'll be fine!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I took my MCAT in January 2017 and applied this cycle to matriculate 2020. There were only 2-3 schools I had to cut from my list due to MCAT date (some had hard cut offs in April or August 2017, etc.), and one school where I applied for and obtained an MCAT date waiver.

Reactions: 1 users