You guessed it! Another SOAP-related question/thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to make clear what I read from this link: https://www.aamc.org/download/273512/data/soap_check_students.pdf

So we start the 1st round of applications on Monday and basically if we don't hear anything from programs by Wednesday, that means we didn't get selected, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Just want to make clear what I read from this link: https://www.aamc.org/download/273512/data/soap_check_students.pdf

So we start the 1st round of applications on Monday and basically if we don't hear anything from programs by Wednesday, that means we didn't get selected, correct?

Practically yes... but not necessarily...

In an unlikely but possible situation, programs may not contact you and "rank" you lower than others such that you are not included in the first round offers and if people "ranked" above you reject that program's offer during the 1st round of offers then you may be offered a position in subsequent rounds.

Good thread. If the unfilled programs I apply to don't interview me in the first place (between Monday 2pm and Wed), does it mean I can finally stop worrying about "getting selected"? Thanks.

Good thread. If the unfilled programs I apply to don't interview me in the first place (between Monday 2pm and Wed), does it mean I can finally stop worrying about "getting selected"? Thanks.

There is no requirement for anyone to interview anyone prior to selection.... Since this is the first time everyone is going through this process, no one knows...

Practically speaking, if you don't hear anything by Wed., 99.9% you are not going to be on the list... But theoretically speaking, there is a chance until SOAP ends on Friday afternoon...

With regard to sending our application through ERAS, do we get to create a new application or are PS and LORs the only things we control (as before)?

With regard to sending our application through ERAS, do we get to create a new application or are PS and LORs the only things we control (as before)?

I believe, no new application, although you can update your profile/info....

I can't imagine anyone getting selected without some form of telephone interview. This job is so based on people skills that you really can't tell enough from just the paper application.

I agree, especially for IMGs (which are the majority of SOAP applicants). But I said theoretically it is possible although as I stated practically unlikely!

2 questions:

1-So programs should be contacting potential candidates now, right?

2-Does that mean I shouldn't leave my computer until Wednesday? (just in case I get an email from a program?)

2 questions:

1-So programs should be contacting potential candidates now, right?

2-Does that mean I shouldn't leave my computer until Wednesday? (just in case I get an email from a program?)

1 - yes, couple of friends being interviewed as we speak.

2 - absolutely.

ok, until what time today (and tomorrow) will programs be making contact?

5pm EST?

I mean, there must be a point in the day/evening that they stop contacting applicants, and continue the next day?

Basically, what are their "hours of operation" for this?

ok, until what time today (and tomorrow) will programs be making contact?

5pm EST?

I mean, there must be a point in the day/evening that they stop contacting applicants, and continue the next day?

Basically, what are their "hours of operation" for this?

oa99ue.jpg

^^ I know that.

I was asking about their hours of operation for contacting applicants prior to Wednesday.

As you said, some of your friends are being interviewed "as we speak". So for today, Monday, until what time are these interviews going to be conducted?

Oh sorry. Probably until 5PM EST like you presumed. I tried finding an official invite time deadline for Mon/Tue but couldn't.

I feel that they should've had that info available. =/

Oh well, continuing to sit by the computer/phone...

@Knicks Already? I'm scared. Can I ask what specialty they are receiving phone interviews for and what region are the programs?

11 programs (mainly prelim surg) have downloaded my app but no calls yet :(

I doubt there will be "standard operating hours" for SOAP. For one thing, west coast programs would have to stop contacting people in the middle of the afternoon if it were only east coast business hours. For another, I'm imagining that PDs who are participating in SOAP are going to review applications at home tonight and may try to call or email at least through early evening.

13 have downloaded, no calls. not sure how this is going to work. my palms are sweating, i need to eat but feel sick.

ugh

13 have downloaded, no calls. not sure how this is going to work. my palms are sweating, i need to eat but feel sick.

ugh

Same as me. Are we applying to the same exact programs? :)

Go eat and keep calm, it should turn out fine.

-Saw a "1" in my inbox.

-My heart skipped a beat.

-Saw that it was junk mail.

-Pissed off!

gawd damn i wish they had an end time for the day. western programs could call well after 5pm EST no?

at home...anyone starting to panic yet? i need 1 email please

Out of curiosity, are you SOAP-ers in your "war rooms" of your school or just at home? Seems like a lot of unmatched people on SDN for the SOAP but I guess you don't really need to be as preoccupied with faxes and connections now.

at home, on the pc, cell phone next to me, reading over my docs to get back into the interview mind-set.

edit: and yes I'm freaking out. i'm MST so current time is like 3:30, i'll sit here for another 1.5hrs before calling it a day.

I got one phonecall. Soap to 11 programs. This whole pocess is horrible

No email/phone call. Reality starting to sink in. Feeling suicidal

If you're serious, find someone to talk to... Even though this may seem huge, in the grand scheme of things it isn't that important. You will get through this, no matter what happens.

Good luck.

What if folks have a geographical preference for choosing their potential program through the SOAP (i.e. matching into your advanced position in that same city)? How do you show this interest? Confusing....

Last edited:
ADTS seems to have gone back to the normal version; it's not "ADTS Lite" anymore.

ADTS seems to have gone back to the normal version; it's not "ADTS Lite" anymore.

So now I can see that the new programs I am applying to have retrieved everything except my USMLE scores. Anyone else having this issue?

give it some time and it will be retrieved. it did that when i applied first time.

No email/phone call. Reality starting to sink in. Feeling suicidal
Please try to remember that even though things seem bleak right now, things can get better. I too have been there and I know what a depressing, demoralizing experience it can be to scramble. However the following year I had a much better experience and did match into the specialty I had wanted. Just because things didn't work out this year doesn't mean your life is over or that things will never be good again. It's a sad thing to experience, but you can overcome this.

Sorry guys...just got off the phone with one...i guess programs are freaking out too and definetly it wont be till 5 et so have your phones near by...i had 3 phonecall interviews so far...all made me speak to resident first then PD.

2 just called me out of the blue and one email from a program to schedule interview.

And just by looking at this unfilled position list i am stunned. I can guarantee i would never even get invite from the programs that called me and how did they even got unfilled? I seriously will never understand this ******ed match process. There should be a better way to do this.

Good luck to everyone. Stay positive. I will update if i know more

sorry guys...just got off the phone with one...i guess programs are freaking out too and definetly it wont be till 5 et so have your phones near by...i had 3 phonecall interviews so far...all made me speak to resident first then pd.

2 just called me out of the blue and one email from a program to schedule interview.

And just by looking at this unfilled position list i am stunned. I can guarantee i would never even get invite from the programs that called me and how did they even got unfilled? I seriously will never understand this ******ed match process. There should be a better way to do this.

|
|
|
|
v
how was that phone call? Was it a full-blown interview? How long was it?

Sorry guys...just got off the phone with one...i guess programs are freaking out too and definetly it wont be till 5 et so have your phones near by...i had 3 phonecall interviews so far...all made me speak to resident first then PD.

Thanks for posting. Guess I'll be sitting here for a while still.

So now I can see that the new programs I am applying to have retrieved everything except my USMLE scores. Anyone else having this issue?

When i just interviewed 2 programs asked me what my scores were. Seems like they couldnt see them or had dificulty downloading