You guessed it! Another SOAP-related question/thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had 2 phone calls. Both were 15 minute interviews. The most pertinent question I got was "tell me about yourself." Nervous, but its not the end of the world.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had 2 phone calls. Both were 15 minute interviews. The most pertinent question I got was "tell me about yourself." Nervous, but its not the end of the world.
Thanks, what else did they ask?

What do you want out of this? What do you expect? Overall, the PDs were super nice, understanding, and did most of the talking, which consisted of explaining the program.

When i just interviewed 2 programs asked me what my scores were. Seems like they couldnt see them or had dificulty downloading
The same thing has happened in my telephone interviews. They asked what my scores are. ERAS is showing that everything is available to the programs, but the USMLE transcript is either available a few hours later or still unavailable. It's just one more thing to freak out about. :scared:

how come my USMLE transcripts say *not yet retrieved* but everything else is??

Thanks for the helpful info. Were you emailed in advance before you got these calls? Also, were these before 5pm EST ?

No email/phone call. Reality starting to sink in. Feeling suicidal
It's really not the end of the world, guys. I am an associate professor of A & P at a local community college and I love it. I am getting on the Income Based Repayment plan, so right now, with my husband's and my pitifully low income, I will be paying $0 per month on my student loans.

dum de dum. 6pm MST. time for dinner i reckon. i think thats all for today.

anyone still waiting? i'm thinking of going for a workout but afraid to leave

i was afraid to go to the bathroom ahahaha. its done for the day for sure. 7pm here and i am going to try and calm myself down by watching a show or something.

will be here bright and early tomorrow morning.

must say, talking to everybody in this thread has made me feel better throughout the day (no homo) :)

i was afraid to go to the bathroom ahahaha. its done for the day for sure. 7pm here and i am going to try and calm myself down by watching a show or something.

will be here bright and early tomorrow morning.

must say, talking to everybody in this thread has made me feel better throughout the day (no homo) :)

G'luck tomorrow brah.

funny-captions-no-homo.jpg

crappiest night of half sleep ever. ugh.

any one get a call this morning?

let the waiting game begin.....

got up early this morning but still no calls...with u on the crappy sleep

another yesterday?

Is the SOAP more competitive in terms of number of applicants per seat?

it seems soap is more competitive but this is my first yr in the match..just seems to me all the apps that pds must look through makes it difficult

saw my phone start blinking indicating new e-mail. heart beat went to 200bpm.

junk mail.

:scared::bang::bang::bang:

it seems soap is more competitive but this is my first yr in the match..just seems to me all the apps that pds must look through makes it difficult

I meant SOAP vs Main Match and not SOAP vs. past Scrambles.

Almost noon here and nothing so far. This sucks...

I think SOAP is definitely tougher because the onus is on the program directors and not the applicants. I would much rather be in control of my destiny at least a little bit, even if that means calling faxing documents and being kept on hold, rather than just sit here and watch every minute go by like right now. Its a terrifying feeling and I wish it on no one.

The whole not being able to communicate programs thing is really frustrating. I can see why they did that so that programs wont get bombarded with phone calls but its still very annoying as an applicant.

The entire SOAP thing definitely favors the programs and not the applicant.

Is anyone here who received a call an IMG?

Is anyone here who received a call an IMG?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm an IMG myself and it's been nothing but silence the whole time thus far. I can see programs have downloaded my application... but no biters. This.... sucks!

and now the question comes......what time yall gonna sit/wait for calls until? last night people posted they had calls around 7:30pm (not sure which timezone, guessing EST).

brb staring at my pc, drinking coffee, about to defecate in my pants

This is like managing intestinal obstruction non-operatively...dunno when the distress will settle out..

Is it necessary to get a phone interview to match in soap? I haven't received any communications yet and wonder if that means zero offers on round one...

Please help

Is it necessary to get a phone interview to match in soap? I haven't received any communications yet and wonder if that means zero offers on round one...

Please help

According to the NRMP schedule, yes. However, phone IVs will probably continue throughout the day and depending on the PD's time zone, it may still be early so I wouldn't assume zero offers quite yet.

I guess Im wondering whether any programs will just accept based on records or like most interviewing do they require a phone call first. Also it looks like people are getting max only 2 calls so it seems bleak

Please help

I don't believe it is necessary. Programs can offer spots without phone interviewing. This info is coming from med school staff.

hope that is the case..i dont see how its feasible to go through hundreds of apps and then iv in 2 days

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm an IMG myself and it's been nothing but silence the whole time thus far. I can see programs have downloaded my application... but no biters. This.... sucks!

I'm an IMG myself. Just one call this morning from an admin; said PD will call later today. Kinda hoping he/she actually will call.
Hang in there guys.

I meant SOAP vs Main Match and not SOAP vs. past Scrambles.

The ratio of applicants to spots is much higher in SOAP vs the main match, so in that respect it's more competitive. That said, the applicant pool is also much much weaker.

For those in this situation, consider yourself on call for the next few days. You can sleep and leave the apt, but be prepared to work at anytime. You should be ready to get called any time from 7 AM EST to 10 PM on the west coast (if spots are available in your specialty). And sleep next to your phone with the volume high, just in case.

Good luck!

So tomorrow first round of offers will be released at 12 EST and then a second at 3 EST.

If no offer received at 12 should I apply then, or wait till after 3?

Confused..

Got a scramble call.
If u are participating in the SOAP u can't get offers from the programs outside of SOAP, not until after Friday.
How can you get offers from such programs after Friday? Do we have to contact them ourselves?

So how will the first round of offers work?

I know programs extend offers but lets say if they have 2 spots do they only send 2 offers or do the send like 10 per each spot? Im not quite sure how that will work as one of the PD said they are putting me on their rank list. I am totally confused with this. Any thoughts/info?

I know programs extend offers but lets say if they have 2 spots do they only send 2 offers or do the send like 10 per each spot? Im not quite sure how that will work as one of the PD said they are putting me on their rank list. I am totally confused with this. Any thoughts/info?

Thoughts:

:thumbup: you magic workin'. you set.

Thoughts:

:thumbup: you magic workin'. you set.

:laugh: thank you for making me smile...first time since this whole ordeal i laughed.
Wish it was so simple lol. I cannot wait to be over this...i hope we all get something.
Crossing my fingers and "magic workin'" for everyone :xf::luck:

They only send as many offers as they have spots in each round.

They probably are still creating lists though since there are multiple rounds of offers. Eg, if you're #5 on their list, you won't get an offer until at least round 3 if they have 2 spots.

This is how I feel right now....

Attachments

• fluffed.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 114

Programs can list as many applicants as they want, but NRMP will only send out the number of offers that correspond to the number of open spots a program has. Applicants will receive all of the offers made and choose either to accept one or reject all and wait for another offer. Once an offer is rejected it can't be repeated. Allowing the two-hour response time to expire is the same as a rejection. Programs will be able to tell when applicants on their list become unavailable for subsequent rounds and will be able to continue interviewing available applicants and adding them to their lists.

So don't get too discouraged if you don't get calls for the early rounds. Once the rounds start and applicants start accepting offers, the momentum really shifts to the applicant side: If I have one spot, and have phone interviewed 8 people and listed 6, tomorrow at noon NRMP is only going to send my offer to one applicant. That person could very well have received multiple offers and end up rejecting mine, while I spend two hours watching the other five people I listed become unavailable as they accept other offers. Then I have to start over from scratch with an even smaller applicant pool for the next round. Rinse Repeat

Moral of the story: It's ultimately a frustrating process for everyone. Don't give up and always have your phone nearby!

Programs can list as many applicants as they want, but NRMP will only send out the number of offers that correspond to the number of open spots a program has. Applicants will receive all of the offers made and choose either to accept one or reject all and wait for another offer. Once an offer is rejected it can't be repeated. Allowing the two-hour response time to expire is the same as a rejection. Programs will be able to tell when applicants on their list become unavailable for subsequent rounds and will be able to continue interviewing available applicants and adding them to their lists.

So don't get too discouraged if you don't get calls for the early rounds. Once the rounds start and applicants start accepting offers, the momentum really shifts to the applicant side: If I have one spot, and have phone interviewed 8 people and listed 6, tomorrow at noon NRMP is only going to send my offer to one applicant. That person could very well have received multiple offers and end up rejecting mine, while I spend two hours watching the other five people I listed become unavailable as they accept other offers. Then I have to start over from scratch with an even smaller applicant pool for the next round. Rinse Repeat

Moral of the story: It's ultimately a frustrating process for everyone. Don't give up and always have your phone nearby!
1ik3mo.jpg

I'm an IMG myself. Just one call this morning from an admin; said PD will call later today. Kinda hoping he/she actually will call.
Hang in there guys.
Thanks. I hope the PD got around to calling.

This soap is such a fail system...i just talk to anther PD and scary thing.
Most programs dont even know how the soap will work. This particular PD thought we also make ranking of offers. He got terrified when i said i can only accept/reject offers.

Then he told me they got about 2000 applications. Its a mess. They are still reviewing. I wouldnt worry if you dont get a call today. They may still be calls tomorrow am.
Whoever came out with this messy system ?

I just want this to be over. This is beyond frustrating.
I keep everyone here in my prayers. Hopefully you all match.

This soap is such a fail system...i just talk to anther PD and scary thing.
Most programs dont even know how the soap will work. This particular PD thought we also make ranking of offers. He got terrified when i said i can only accept/reject offers.

Then he told me they got about 2000 applications. Its a mess. They are still reviewing. I wouldnt worry if you dont get a call today. They may still be calls tomorrow am.
Whoever came out with this messy system ?

I just want this to be over. This is beyond frustrating.
I keep everyone here in my prayers. Hopefully you all match.

2000 applications, well there you are! I know what to expect for myself.

Thanks for the useful info.