You know VET SCHOOL is driving you crazy when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, inspired by the application thread I decided to try to start a vet school things driving you crazy... Sorry if this really belongs in the other forum...

So....
You know vet school is driving you crazy when...

1) You see snowflakes and observe how "they look like the proventriculus of a chicken!"

2) You dream about anatomy EVERY night.

Members don't see this ad.

When you're on vacation and suddenly have an overwhelming sense of needing to study/not knowing what to do with your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
6) You accidentally call the freeway exit further from your own the distal exit.

When you start imagining shoot-em-up video games about finding and eliminating parasites.

when you can't touch an animals without doing at least a partical physical exam

when you get really annoyed with improper medical information on sitcoms that you are watching with the hope of relaxing

when everyone you know that isn't in vet school seems to think that a year of vet med education = free medical advice

when you look at an exam, realize you passed by 1/10 of a point, feel relieved, and opt not to review the exam/discuss issues with the professor because you have 2 more exams and a surgery to perform this week

When you're on vacation and suddenly have an overwhelming sense of needing to study/not knowing what to do you your time.

I waste the first couple of days of vacation because I am so amped up that I can't just chill. I now actually try to attend seminars in vet or human med or in one health or behavior for the first couple days of any vacation because I can't settled down after the intensive weeks of studying.

50% of vet school academics done. 50% more to go.

6) You accidentally call the freeway exit further from your own the distal exit.

This made me lol :rofl:

when you are having trouble trying to cut a piece of meat and think of how much easier/quicker it would be to cut it with a scalpel instead of a steak knife

when you have one test left for the semester and you can't shake the nagging feeling that you are not really almost done and you must have missed a test somewhere

when you are excited to see a real animal

when you get a papercut (from your massive piles of notes) and can't help thinking about platelets and clotting

when it is cold out and you are shivering, you can't help thinking about thermogenesis

when you worry about some of your classmates actually becoming vets

when you spend more time at school than at home (especially before anatomy practicals)

great thread SOV! :D

3) You can no longer eat meat products without analyzing exactly what muscles/bones are on your plate. And the highlight of your Thanksgiving was dissecting the turkey and its muscles/ligaments/joints.

4) You have decided that you would make a really good alcoholic. Anatomy lab final + heavy drinking - eating = still up at 7 am?

Both of these sound just like me! I was given the job of carving the Thanksgiving turkey...I'm sure several of my family members were wondering what was taking so long as I analyzed every bone I saw.

And one of the bartenders here recognized my friend and me from last week. And remembered what we had to drink. :laugh:

You call relatives to tell them about "THE COOLEST THING!!!" you did in Anatomy or "THE FUNNIEST JOKE EVER!!!" and they're like "uh...huh...that's nice :yawn:"

Welcome to the other side of the table...where everday people have no idea what you're talking about.

When you're in anatomy lab and you accidentally use the wrong directional term and you and your lab partner bust out laughing

When you're playing with a rubber band, and some how have it hooked around your fingers (so the bands cross) and your mind immediately goes to the cruciate ligaments in the stifle joint :p

Last edited:
You're trying to explain sound transduction through the ear to a family member and cannot for the life of you think of what the hell the tympanic membrane is called in normal terminology.

You accidently post this on the pre-vet forum rather than the veterinary forum :rofl:

Disclaimer: Don't take this seriously. I'm enjoying the thread just as much as everyone else! :)

When you're on vacation and suddenly have an overwhelming sense of needing to study/not knowing what to do with your time.

Or when you've finally finished taking all your tests and you have all this pent up energy because you no longer have to sit at a desk or computer studying non-stop anymore. (But then you waver between thinking you are the 1 person in your class this year that didn't pass the NAVLE (and therefore should be studying) and thinking that it's all downhill from here)

Members don't see this ad :)
When cardiac tamponade makes you think, "When life gives you tampons, make tamponade," despite the difference in pronunciation. And you laugh every time.

When you come here to post such things while knowing that your very cumulative and very taking-place-tomorrow special pathology final is staring you in the face. :cool:

When you start the coffee drinking at 9pm.

When you look at the amount of material each of your finals cover and calculate the lowest possible grade you can get in order to pass the class to make yourself feel better.

When cardiac tamponade makes you think, "When life gives you tampons, make tamponade," despite the difference in pronunciation. And you laugh every time.

That is waaay better than my parasit notes! Thanks for making me laugh!

I actually started the coffee drinking around 10 am. I switched to Coke around 1pm, and switched to espresso around 9pm. I'm not =quite= to the point of twitching yet...thats a good thing, right? :laugh: Plan is to pull an almost-all-nighter, take my histo final, and then nap for a few hours.

that's my plan as well! histo final at 8AM, then lab exam at 10:15...kill me now.

When you look at the amount of material each of your finals cover and calculate the lowest possible grade you can get in order to pass the class to make yourself feel better.

That is waaay better than my parasit notes! Thanks for making me laugh!

LOL Happy to be of service. And I just finished my first cup of coffee. ;)

How about when your last final ends at 10 AM and by 10:05 AM you're in the bar drinking?

I admire your dedication.
Most of the time, I've had anatomy ending at four, which means I'm in the bar by 4:30 (and getting my myself carried home a couple hours after that...Whoops!)

So how about when anatomy exams make you feel so crappy about yourself you have to put your liver to the test and drink yourself to oblivion?

at least you're all of age...i'm the only underage person in my class and it SUCKS. everyone is talking about how they're going out to the bar on friday when our finals are over and i'm just going to end up packing my stuff and going straight home because i'm only 20 :(

only 7 weeks until i'm FINALLY 21 though...

When you're so out of it, you don't remember how many times you fed your cat that day, and the cat's learned to take advantage of the situation by acting as though she's been starving all day every time you walk in the door. I may have fed her 4 times today...

...you get a fortune cookie that reads "it is better to have a hen tomorrow than an egg today" and:

1) You wonder is that a bad omen for your test today? and
2) Wonder if you have studied the chicken digestive and respiratory systems enough. and
3) You realize that you had a fortune cookie for breakfast.

haha SOV.

you have no idea what day it is. Days are marked only by whether you had an exam or not (and thus how much time is left to study before the next one) and terms such as "Thursday...Tuesday....Wednesday...Weekend" mean nothing anymore.

....when you start to read Harry Potter VII to relax at the start of winter break and in the epigraph you read the word "hemorrhage" and suddenly you are thinking of norepinephrine and vasoconstriction and renin and angiotensinogen and angiotensin I and II and aldosterone and mineralocorticoids, and glucocorticords and the adrenal cortex and the adrenal medulla and ...you ....just.... can't ....stop!!!!! :eek:

when you go to tell someone you had some awesome mulled wine at a Christmas party last night and you say 'culled' wine :eek:

When you play taboo and the only hint you can give for your answer of badger involves TB...

Or when you watch House and get excited that the disease they are talking about is zoonotic. (This season they talked about Rhodococcus equi the week after we learned about it.)

Great topic SOV :)

When you finish the semester and realize that what was once ordinary life is *&(*&#$ amazing.

Or when you watch House and get excited that the disease they are talking about is zoonotic. (This season they talked about Rhodococcus equi the week after we learned about it.)

On Bones they popped up a microscope image of an osteonal canal and I went "holy **** that's an osteonal canal!" Of course Bones had to call it a Haversian canal two seconds later. :rolleyes: Potato, potahto...

Instead of saying "I have to pee" you say... "I have to release my glomerular filtrate"

On Bones they popped up a microscope image of an osteonal canal and I went "holy **** that's an osteonal canal!" Of course Bones had to call it a Haversian canal two seconds later. :rolleyes: Potato, potahto...

On Dogtown they were talking about demodex and they showed a "microscope shot" of... ear mites. At least Bones was showing the right thing!

On Dogtown they were talking about demodex and they showed a "microscope shot" of... ear mites. At least Bones was showing the right thing!
Demodex and Otodectes? Those aren't even remotely similar looking!!!!

I need to start watching Bones...

Demodex and Otodectes? Those aren't even remotely similar looking!!!!

I need to start watching Bones...

I know... one looks like a spider alien and crawls, and the other looks like a spindle. Come on animal planet.

Hehehee... doggy... live doggy... doggy moves... hehehehee...

Alice: But I don't *want* to go among mad people.
The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Alice: How do you know I'm mad?
The Cat: You must be, or you wouldn't have come here.

....when you start to read Harry Potter VII to relax at the start of winter break and in the epigraph you read the word "hemorrhage" and suddenly you are thinking of norepinephrine and vasoconstriction and renin and angiotensinogen and angiotensin I and II and aldosterone and mineralocorticoids, and glucocorticords and the adrenal cortex and the adrenal medulla and ...you ....just.... can't ....stop!!!!! :eek:

How about when you read anything that has nothing to do with studying and have the strongest urge to pull out a highlighter.:laugh:

When you start practicing suture patterns on small sewing repair jobs around the house.

So I finished my last final on Monday but I've been having dreams that there is one exam left, in less than two days, and I haven't started to study yet. In my dream I'm trying to figure out what will be the most effective way to cram the material, but I'm panicking bc I know it will be impossible.

I wake up wondering if I overslept and where my notes are and how I'm gonna get this done. And I seriously have to remind myself several times that I'm done. I don't need to study at all. Theres no more exams to take. But ugh, it's so stressful and scary!

Katryn, I have actually taught basic hand suturing to junior techs by having them fix holes in pillows and other squishy bedding material. Two jobs done for the price of one!

Katryn, I have actually taught basic hand suturing to junior techs by having them fix holes in pillows and other squishy bedding material. Two jobs done for the price of one!

I'm considering buying some curved sewing needles, so I can make myself practice with needle drivers and all.

I'm only a pre-vet and I do all of these things,lol, that either means I am already going crazy or vet school will drive me downright insane!

When refering to your jaw, it gets called my dentary squamosal joint instead

I'm considering buying some curved sewing needles, so I can make myself practice with needle drivers and all.

Why stop there? When my large animal pouch (literally a pouch for holding pens, calculator, etc) started to tear away at the top where the clip attached, I got some expired non-absorbable suture and fixed it straight up.

Why stop there? When my large animal pouch (literally a pouch for holding pens, calculator, etc) started to tear away at the top where the clip attached, I got some expired non-absorbable suture and fixed it straight up.

Suture material is definitely as useful as duct tape. My dad (who is a vet) fixed my boots one winter by suturing them up. They held together great!

LOL. I would just grab suture, but some of the repairs are quite visible and I'm really OCD about making repair jobs look as professional as possible.

When you're watching them perform an orthopedic surgery on Dogtown and almost pass out when you see the anesthetist/tech in the OR isn't wearing scrubs, a bonnet or mask.

When you realize the only people who understand you are your classmates and what that really means for the next 4 years.

When you are on your first day of winter break, snowed into your place with only time to watch TV and play on the computer and feel strangely uneasy that you are not studying or picking up any books. Instead, you look at the tentative schedule for next semester and start thinking about how you're going to find the time to study and NOT neglect your pets.

When you are on your first day of winter break, snowed into your place with only time to watch TV and play on the computer and feel strangely uneasy that you are not studying or picking up any books. Instead, you look at the tentative schedule for next semester and start thinking about how you're going to find the time to study and NOT neglect your pets.

There's a tentative schedule? Where???

When the goblet cells of your respiratory epithelium are over producing mucoid secretions in an attempt to aid humidification of the dry hot air coming out of the vents.

When you read directional terms in "normal" photographic captions and automatically reverse the direction... then get confused when it doesn't make sense.

When you're reading through a textbook and wishing there was a "wordfind" function... to highlight "receptor potentials."