you know you are pre vet when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeeney

Ross SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i saw this thread in the pre med forum and thought it'd be fun to start it here...so i shall start the first post...

when you KNOW that you will do EVERYTHING it takes to get into veterinary school...

Members don't see this ad.

when you're bummed that you got an A- in a class

when you're up saturday night studying because you are so focused on getting into vet school

The previous person has a stick up his ass or a very small penis. Maybe both.

Members don't see this ad :)
when you come home from work dirty and try to calm your mother, "it's just a little manure..." (or dog poo as the case may be;) )

at my particular school, when they tell you you're going to get a minor in chemistry anyway so don't worry about picking one

when labs are your favorite social gatherings:D

...when the idea of a spouse who refuses to have pets seems completely unacceptable.

I actually know vets in this situation; it boggles my mind :scared:

...when pulling a 13 hour midnight stint in the anatomy lab is FUN.

When stalking the postman becomes your favorite hobby. And he knows what schools you applied to and when the letters are supposed to arrive. :oops:

when you just laugh and say "it hardly hurts" after you've been attacked (all over arms, and tender parts of chest!) by a fractious cat :laugh: :laugh:

This was sent to me a couple of years ago...I think it was made by some CSU folks...

You know you are a vet student when.......

You start writing letters home in abbreviations.
You look deep into your lovers eyes and pull out a pen light.
You start highlighting TV guide.
Natural light makes you squint.
You finally make it home and your dog wont let you in.
You walk away from dishwashing with your hands in the air
You find yourself doing one handed ties on your shoe laces.
You wait for the grocery store clerk to grade your check.
You sign your name in dots.
While in a crowded elevator you start pondering the pathological agents
associated with aerosol transmission.
Noodles remind you of Taenia spp. (or vice versa).
You get a blood test and they diagnose caffeninemia.
Eating and sleeping are unnecessary luxuries.
Pimples become suppurative exudates.
You start picking out which zoonotic disease you would rather die from.
You get up at 3AM to check the spelling of oogonia. At 4 AM you get up
to see what it means.
You are told you smell like a freshman.
Someone asks you your name and you think it is a trick question.
There's such a thing as a 'real neat' lesion.
Gross lab makes you hungry.
You study at stop lights.
You go from wanting A's to worry about getting C's to praying that you
will pass, to wondering if the Marines still need a few good men!

... when you think other pre-health professions are boring (no offense though)

btw, Razor - i like your post:D

omg 4theanimals...that's hilarious!!!!

...when you spend all your free time browsing the preveterinary student forum, looking to see when/where your "competitors" got interviews/acceptances/rejections/etc and making friends w/them in the meantime :)

...You know you're an equine vet when: You come home after a day's work smelling like horses & horse manure...and when people complain you stink, you think to yourself "but I actually like this smell"...:D

Members don't see this ad :)
...when you can't wait to tell your friends and family about all the cool things you saw at school/work today, but you're puzzled when their only comment is "Ew, gross! I'm eating!"

...when you can't wait to tell your friends and family about all the cool things you saw at school/work today, but you're puzzled when their only comment is "Ew, gross! I'm eating!"

Oh yes! :) Here's to the tendency towards highly inappropriate dinner conversations!!

I dissect all of my hard boiled eggs now, since I had an animal science class :)

When you leave your status page open all day and hit refresh every 5 minutes to see if it has changed. :oops:

--- when you come home and your own pets are torn between sniffing your pants for that great work place odor and sprinting the other direction before you start practicing checking them for torn cruciates, yeasty ears, hot spots, long nails, add your favorite lovingly administered torture technique.

...when you have completely forgotten the definition of free time, and, when faced with such, you honest to god, don't know what to do :)

When you have accidentally, albeit successfully, vaccinated yourself against any of the following diseases: Rabies, Distemper-Parvo, FIV, FCP...

When you no longer see your $80 sneakers for the ergonomically advanced features with ultimate comfort, but rather for what they rightfully are - possible vectors of disease transmission.

When you pull a shirt out of the dryer with a stain on it, you reflect back to that day in microbiology lab when you first learned about heat-fixing.

Dude, I got malachite green all over my nice white tennis shoes in micro lab to other day. I still wear them though, but people are always asking what happened to my shoes.

When you have accidentally, albeit successfully, vaccinated yourself against any of the following diseases: Rabies, Distemper-Parvo, FIV, FCP...

and i had to wonder if that bordetella shot would substitute for the pertussis one i never had as a kid ;)

malachite green is pretty...I might spill it on my shoes on purpose.

How about when you find pieces of your O-chem 3D model set in your bed or car!!!!

When people call you a nerd and you say "thanks!" :p

Or when you are having a drink with your friends, and you build ethanol out of your chem. set to show them what they are drinking.

...when your friends stare at you in disbelief when you run into the room and proudly proclaim, "I artificially inseminated a sow today/ I stuck my hand into a cow's rectum/ I gave a dog an enema," etc., etc.

...when blood, feces, urine, and other bodily secretions no longer phase you and you actually get angry in labs when others refuse to touch/dissect something because they deem it "gross."

...you have your academic advisor's home phone number (just in case).

...you watch "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery and just laugh and think, "You have no idea..."

...you watch "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery and just laugh and think, "You have no idea..."

HAHA so true with the dirty jobs.

...when your wallet has more wood shavings in it from the barn then actual money (maybe thats only me)
...when people look at you like your crazy when you say you volunteer to clean up manure
...when you go out and spend top dollar on fancy barn boots and some how all your shoes end up being covered in manure
...you feel wierd when your clothes aren't covered in horse hair and you dont smell like any type of animal
...when expressing a dogs anal cavity becomes a daily routine

...when your friends stare at you in disbelief when you run into the room and proudly proclaim, "I artificially inseminated a sow today/ I stuck my hand into a cow's rectum/ I gave a dog an enema," etc.,

LOL Thats awesome - I actually used that in my interviews:

"Tell me about one of your biggest accomplishments."
"(excitedly) The first time I artificially inseminated a heifer!! It was fantastic!!"

And yes, I did run home that day and excitedly proclaim my excitement at having shoved my hand up a cow's rectum, proudly saying "I was born for this.." while everyone laughed and shook their heads.

"(excitedly) The first time I artificially inseminated a heifer!! It was fantastic!!"

...when you jump up and down screaming "I finally made it through the fourth ring!!!" and nobody knows what you're talking about:rolleyes:

...and similarly, when you believe the answer to every question in life is "to prevent luteolysis of the CL by pgf2a in order to maintain pregnancy":cool:

...and similarly, when you believe the answer to every question in life is "to prevent luteolysis of the CL by pgf2a in order to maintain pregnancy":cool:

Holy Mother Of God that is THE funniest thing I have ever read on SDN, ever! Mad Props to you! =)

Its funny cos it's sooo true

I had to work last Christmas Eve, so I was late getting to the big family dinner, and all I could talk about was how I had just decapitated a cat for rabies testing :D .

I had to work last Christmas Eve, so I was late getting to the big family dinner, and all I could talk about was how I had just decapitated a cat for rabies testing :D .

ROFL!!!!:laugh:
:barf: more dinner for you, right?:thumbup:

I used a rabies decap. story for my VMCAS essay anecdote... hopefully didn't gross anybody out but still memorable. Perhaps a bold move.

......when you carry cans of cat/dog food, extra leads, towels, and a cardboard cat carrier in your car in case you encounter a creature in need on the road.

.....when you see animal blood on the floor and wall and don't even flinch, but when there's human blood on the floor (dog bit owner) you get squeamish.

...you're surprised that some people have never heard of James Herriot.

.....when you see animal blood on the floor and wall and don't even flinch, but when there's human blood on the floor (dog bit owner) you get squeamish.

SO true!!! lol!:laugh:

...you're surprised that some people have never heard of James Herriot.

Most definitely! I have had so many arguements with my friends over the fact that they don't know who he is. I've given up now, i just accept that they don't know and sit happily laughing to myself at his anecdotes!

Katie

......when you carry cans of cat/dog food, extra leads, towels, and a cardboard cat carrier in your car in case you encounter a creature in need on the road. QUOTE]

yup! and family and friends get annoyted when u stop to try and help each and every one of them.

Most definitely! I have had so many arguements with my friends over the fact that they don't know who he is. I've given up now, i just accept that they don't know and sit happily laughing to myself at his anecdotes!

Katie

Haven't run across to many people who don't know who he is, but some who haven't read him... including a vet I have worked with, who couldn't get past the first chapter or so.......:confused: :confused: :confused: thought he was boring. wild....:laugh:

When your sitting at lunch talking about why can't a cow throw up. Someone chimes in they do they regurgitate. And the other says No I'm talking about truly vomiting. And we all begin discussing how it would have to go through the rumen, abomasum,....you get the picture. And no one hesitates to continue eating their lunch. And yes this happened today.;)

when a lunch date means you get together with a friend to cram over some physiology before the quiz.

when you've read every vet-related biography in your library and wonder why they don't expand the (tiny) section.

Last night I had a dream about euthanizing a dog and doing a necropsy on a pig. I think that means I'm pre-vet!

When during the height of kitten season, you apply Advantage to yourself to keep the fleas away

Last night I had a dream about euthanizing a dog and doing a necropsy on a pig. I think that means I'm pre-vet!

i had a dream last night that i was intubating a dog

LOL I also had a (loosely) vet related dream last night..Can't remember exactly what it was, but I remember seeing one of the doctors from my clinic

LOL!
:laugh:
That is great.

just thought some of you would find this funny...

First-year students at Texas A&M's Vet School were receiving their first anatomy class, with a real dead cow. They all gathered around the surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet. The professor started the class by telling them, "In Vet Medicine it is necessary to have two important qualities as a doctor: The first is that you not be disgusted by anything involving the animal body. For an example, the Professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the butt of the dead cow, withdrew it and stuck it in his mouth. "Go ahead and do the same thing," he told his students The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes. But eventually took turns sticking a finger in the anal opening of the dead cow and sucking on it.
When everyone finished, the Professor looked at them and told them "The second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle finger and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention.

just thought some of you would find this funny...

First-year students at Texas A&M's Vet School were receiving their first anatomy class, with a real dead cow. They all gathered around the surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet. The professor started the class by telling them, "In Vet Medicine it is necessary to have two important qualities as a doctor: The first is that you not be disgusted by anything involving the animal body. For an example, the Professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the butt of the dead cow, withdrew it and stuck it in his mouth. "Go ahead and do the same thing," he told his students The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes. But eventually took turns sticking a finger in the anal opening of the dead cow and sucking on it.
When everyone finished, the Professor looked at them and told them "The second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle finger and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention.

:barf: