You know you're a vet student (or pre-vet to be PC) when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you notice the veins on your brother's arm and then prod them for a few minutes and tell him that they'd be perfect to practice venipuncture on.

My mother is a (human) nurse, and always gets jokingly yelled at from my father because she'll semi-unconsciously put pressure on and play around with his really prominent veins.

I think we should make our own shirt with these top 10, starting with:

1. You know that puppy paws smell like fritos
2. If you didn't know that puppy paws smelled like fritos, you immediately began to think of where you would find a puppy to sniff.

Members don't see this ad.

When you notice the veins on your brother's arm and then prod them for a few minutes and tell him that they'd be perfect to practice venipuncture on.
I did this is to my fiance! He was not amused.

How about if you are on a pristine beach in a fishing village on the coast of Mexico and you are more excited to pet the beach bum doggies than you are about the scenery?

I can't believe I missed a whole thread about smelling dog feet. :hungover:

I think I'm still known among the dogs of Tegucigalpa as "that white guy who was giving out snausages."

Members don't see this ad :)
1) when the first thing you do when you get home is grab your fat kitty hiding behind the curtain (because she knows what's coming) and go om nom nom nom at her head. without actually biting into her skull, of course.

2) when the first thing you think about after a long day at work is curling up in your bed with a good book and my cat curled next to you :)

3) when the biggest praise you can give to your friend's new-born baby is: "omg your baby is almost as cute as a puppy!!". seriously. I can't be the only one who thinks baby animals are typically waay cuter than human babies, right? Don't get me wrong...I like babies. But I LOVE baby animals so much I squeal like an 8 year old (annoying, I know) every time I see one. I don't do that with babies.

3) when the biggest praise you can give to your friend's new-born baby is: "omg your baby is almost as cute as a puppy!!". seriously. I can't be the only one who thinks baby animals are typically waay cuter than human babies, right? Don't get me wrong...I like babies. But I LOVE baby animals so much I squeal like an 8 year old (annoying, I know) every time I see one. I don't do that with babies.

Full disclosure: I think human babies are typically gross. Even with that bias, there's no way they compete with puppies.

Full disclosure: I think human babies are typically gross. Even with that bias, there's no way they compete with puppies.

human babies are ok, just not nearly furry and cuddly enough

plus, there's the whole "moral education" element that terrifies me

human babies are ok, just not nearly furry and cuddly enough
I once decided that if human babies were born the size of kittens, covered in soft fur, and grew to young adulthood within a couple of years, I'd consider having kids.

They don't, so here I am with nine cats.

Oh! And another "You know you're a vet student/pre-vet" moment: You look at other people's cats, and mentally figure out where they are on the body condition scale. You do it automatically: "Why hello there, Mr. Tibbles [poor guy! he's at least an 8!]! You're a big boy, aren't you?"

plus, there's the whole "moral education" element that terrifies me
Funny, but that part didn't seem to scary to me. I figured that if I was like a good dog trainer: have high expectations, make them clear, give positive reinforcement when they're met, and (most importantly) be consistent, I couldn't screw it up too badly.:laugh:

Last edited:
I like calling the fatter pets "chunky monkeys." I don't extend that same courtesy to clients.

I'm not big on baby apes of any sort, humans included. Never wanted that plastic baby doll with synthetic hair when I was little, but I did have 200+ stuffed animals (easily).

Reactions: 1 users
Babies creep me out, and they're loud too. Plus you can't even crate train them.

Funny, but that part didn't seem to scary to me. I figured that if I was like a good dog trainer: have high expectations, make them clear, give positive reinforcement when they're met, and (most importantly) be consistent, I couldn't screw it up too badly.:laugh:

I've often wondered how I'd raise a baby and then finally decided I'd likely do it exactly like this. Wonder if you can clicker train a baby?

...Never wanted that plastic baby doll with synthetic hair when I was little, but I did have 200+ stuffed animals (easily).
Two words: Breyer horses. I used to play "veterinarian" by working out new ways to glue their (inevitable) broken legs back on.

Plus, my Cavalier starts to "sigh" around that time in the morning. A semi soft "Hmmmm". Followed by a little louder "Hmmmm".

My lab always does this when she is the living room and we are in the bedroom! Too funny!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not big on baby apes of any sort...
monkey%20baby.jpg

Aww, are you sure?

Well, to each his own.

monkey%20baby.jpg

Last edited:
Babies creep me out, and they're loud too. Plus you can't even crate train them.

I've often wondered how I'd raise a baby and then finally decided I'd likely do it exactly like this. Wonder if you can clicker train a baby?

Hey, around here I see a lot of parents leash training their ambulatory babies. I think they need experienced dog trainers b/c those babies have no puppy manners. I would think a clicker would make a big improvement!

Reactions: 2 users
Ha H!! This post is hilarious!! I am so glad that I am not alone on most of these... I have been saying for years that some dogs' feet smell like fritos!!

Also agree about the pet hair and the random injuries that you can't remember where they came from- my favorite is when you are preping for an IVC and you find out you got a scratch or cut on your hand! It sucks!!

My husband is usually the one who cries out "COWS!" or "GOATS!" etc, when we drive through farm areas... he totally gets me even though he is not in the same line of work- I fix them, he serves them...

I feed my cats at night, before I go to bed, just so that they don't stomp all over me in the morning and rub all over my head to give them breakfast! I even trained one of them to "ask nicely" because she who scream at me every time I passed the food closet at night.

A new one... You think to yourself every time you prep a wound or surgical site (or groom a pet), "I wonder how much hair is permenantly traped in my lungs?"

I am one of the only ones that refers to pets by their condition at work... It is always HBC dog, HGE dog, etc, although I like to keep it creative too. We get fun stuff in the emergency clinic like drunk dog (EtOH and sometimes even good old fashioned liquor), stoned cat (LSD, pot, amphetamines, you name it), what's for dinner birds (they are on the menu for both dogs and cats), dryer cat (always so sad), ect. Although I usually do remember the pets names way easier than the owers...

Why not? Crates are just a playpen with a lid so they cannot crawl out and hurt themselves....right??? I mean, we are only looking out for their well being...:D:D:D:D:D

you know I am a veterinarian to come up with that:smuggrin:

Two words: Breyer horses. I used to play "veterinarian" by working out new ways to glue their (inevitable) broken legs back on.

hahaha...so true. I use to make little mini wraps to put on the legs, use to do sweats, poltices, polos, etc. I use to be on the racetrack almost everyday when I was a child. So I would watch my mom do everything then, I do it to my breyer horses and give her diagnosis based on what i heard in the barn. It was hilarous and I still have them all still to this day in boxes somewhere. Haha

I totally did that, too! I even performed "c-sections" on my stuffed cat who had a velcro stomach and babies inside, and then bandaged her up afterward with toilet paper and this non-sticky yellow tape I found. I made my neighbor play secretary for my vet's office and bring me in new patients that I could bandage. I have a garbage bag full of stuffed animals in my basement with casts on all various parts of their bodies.

Also, side note, I smelled my dog's feet yesterday and they totally smelled like fritos. And it made me very happy.

Also, side note, I smelled my dog's feet yesterday and they totally smelled like fritos. And it made me very happy.

I need to compare your dog's frito feet to my puppy to see if I just can't smell the fritos or if my puppy is a frito feet dud.

I need to compare your dog's frito feet to my puppy to see if I just can't smell the fritos or if my puppy is a frito feet dud.

Frito feet dud!? There is no such thing!

I ran into an old member of the credit union I used to work for and all I could remember was Curly Sue...of course that was her pug's name. Her name still escapes me.

haha well in the fall you totally can! He'll be in Champaign with me, hopefully still smelling like fritos!

Alright, after making faces at this thread for two weeks, I'm trying it. Live, in-post, dog foot sniffing. Here goes...

Okay, if you rubbed a very stinky dog with Fritos, her feet do indeed smell like that. I'm sold. And she needs a bath.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, after making faces at this thread for two weeks, I'm trying it. Live, in-post, dog foot sniffing. Here goes...

Okay, if you rubbed a very stinky dog with Fritos, her feet do indeed smell like that. I'm sold. And she needs a bath.

Wooo!

When you post vet school parody videos on Facebook instead of studying. Which prompts your classmates to post vet school parody videos on Facebook instead of studying. Which means no one is studying. Crap.

When you post vet school parody videos on Facebook instead of studying. Which prompts your classmates to post vet school parody videos on Facebook instead of studying. Which means no one is studying. Crap.

Yeah, I blame you for the 30 minutes I just spent NOT making flow charts, prompting me to find and bump this thread!

When you find yourself ravenously hungry in anatomy lab, and you plan your post anatomy meals around what will clash the least with the residual smell on your hands.

Yeah, I blame you for the 30 minutes I just spent NOT making flow charts, prompting me to find and bump this thread!

Psh, you and I both know you were never going to make any flow charts. :laugh:

When you wake up to your alarm and the first thing that pops into your head are anatomy structures that you are pretty sure you had been dreaming about.

Psh, you and I both know you were never going to make any flow charts. :laugh:

BD posts funny vet school video --> TL googles vet school humor --> neither BD or TL get any work done.

Bam. Flow chart.

You no longer see your pet as a fuzzy companion, but as a learning tool.....

Hehehe my cat will hate me come physical exam time. :smuggrin:

And....FB becomes less of a social media website and more for coordinating with your class. Group projects (love that we can name convos), class announcements, etc.

At least that's what I've found.

BD posts funny vet school video --> TL googles vet school humor --> neither BD or TL get any work done.

Bam. Flow chart.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're totally getting an A on tomorrow's midterm.

And....FB becomes less of a social media website and more for coordinating with your class. Group projects (love that we can name convos), class announcements, etc.

At least that's what I've found.

This is SO true. I've never had so many notifications :p

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're totally getting an A on tomorrow's midterm.

:D here's hoping!

When you consider writing your eng comp research paper on the outrageous cost of vet school and the little to no return on your investment :D and living off of ramen for the rest of your life.

When you consider writing your eng comp research paper on the outrageous cost of vet school and the little to no return on your investment :D and living off of ramen for the rest of your life.

I may have done something like this last year:laugh:

I absolutely did that. It was awesome. I still have a copy on google drive if anyone is interested. ;)

I absolutely did that. It was awesome. I still have a copy on google drive if anyone is interested. ;)

I'd be interested in reading it! I've got a couple main points already, being the saturated market and the crippling loans. The third point I'm still working on... The pro-live on ramen forever paragraph is coming together nicely and the conclusion will sound something like "only those that are clinically insane proceed, and are damn happy about it!" :D

I'd be interested in reading it! I've got a couple main points already, being the saturated market and the crippling loans. The third point I'm still working on... The pro-live on ramen forever paragraph is coming together nicely and the conclusion will sound something like "only those that are clinically insane proceed, and are damn happy about it!" :D

If you message me your email I could send it to you! It may give you an idea or two anyways. It has a bit of a snarky undertone to it, but this class was a joke to begin with. :)

Re-quoted for truth:

I'd like to add:

When on a road trip in the countryside, you yell POOOONIES or COWSSSS or SHEEEEEEP or GOATSSS or CHICKENS! at every farm you pass as you gaze happily out the window and your significant other rolls his/her eyes.

Not that I have experience, of course ;)

When the boy in your bed won't wake up you rub your fingers over his body and identify the various tuberosities, trochanters, and other palpable structures.