Young and going to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how many of you are 21 or younger and going to medical school this August. I know there aren't that many of us since the average age of entrants into medical school is around 24.

I'm proud to be only 21 so I can finish school, residency, and be a fully-liscensed practicing physician by the time I'm 28. That way I can get on with my life with starting a family, doing other things and what not. Oh yea, I don't feel like I'm missing out on life one bit by starting early. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Amen! Turning 20 right after starting med school (god willing).

Im a trad, though I dont expect to be in full practice until Im 32 unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Slickness
So how many of you are 21 or younger and going to medical school this August. I know there aren't that many of us since the average age of entrants into medical school is around 24.

I'm proud to be only 21 so I can finish school, residency, and be a fully-liscensed practicing physician by the time I'm 28. That way I can get on with my life with starting a family, doing other things and what not. Oh yea, I don't feel like I'm missing out on life one bit by starting early. :smuggrin:

You're very fortunate to have figured out what you wanted to do early. I, however, am going to be a dried-up, childless old fart when I finish everything (ok, like 36) but ya don't see me rubbing that in people's faces, do ya? ;)

who cares? what's your point?

do you want a cookie?

mmz6

The 13 year old MS1 at Pritzker has got all of y'all beat.

sorry..just your run of the mill 24 year old.

My name says it all. I've got all ya'll beat easy. :)

I'll be 22 entering, but I thought that was pretty traditional, no? (so like, 21 entering isn't THAT young, is it?)

-Ice

Becoming a doctor isn't a race.

I'm happy I took 4 years off before starting medical school. I met my beautiful wife, traveled, and I'm definately a lot more maturer.

btw,

12"

Why do people get upset when somebody young posts their age when they start med school, but when the old people start a thread on nontrads it is a feel-good lovefest?

Personally if I had to do it over again I would have went to one of those 6 year med programs right out of high school. Medical training is a long process and I would much rather be done with it at age 28 than 38 any day.

Originally posted by Goober
Why do people get upset when somebody young posts their age when they start med school, but when the old people start a thread on nontrads it is a feel-good lovefest?

Personally if I had to do it over again I would have went to one of those 6 year med programs right out of high school. Medical training is a long process and I would much rather be done with it at age 28 than 38 any day.

I think it's the way the op worded his post. Personally, I found it condescending. It sounded like "neener neener, I'm younger and I'm gonna be a full-fledged practicing doctor by 28."

Here's a thought: Why don't we stop fighting and boasting about which age is best?

INSTEAD, why don't we be proud for each other? I can be proud that Slickness has several schools to choose from. I can be proud of Kashue for his research accomplishments and the fact that he may be going to Case next year (or maybe NU, where hopefully we'd be in class together). I can be proud of exmike for working so hard to achieve his goal of med school. The list goes on and on.

In return, you can be proud of me, not because I'm 31, but because--like all of you--I worked really hard to get here.

If you read a lot of the "Countdown" threads from last year, you can see that there was a great energy of support for fellow applicants. Maybe we could strive to be that way too instead of constantly fighting about which age is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ice_23
I'll be 22 entering, but I thought that was pretty traditional, no? (so like, 21 entering isn't THAT young, is it?)

-Ice

Although, I'd be barely 21 too I enter med school, its only 2 years younger than the median age. No big deal. I should be 19/20ish when I enter but I took a gap year between high school and college. It was an amazing experience for me and I'm considering another year-off between college and med school. So who knows...I might get to enter med school when I'm 24 or 26 or 30. The point is, it's not a race and personally, I would loooooove to live and experience life first. :love:

I'll be 23 when I enter med school, but that's because my Birthday's in May. Technically I'm one year behind those who graduate from college in 4 years and enter medical school directly. I basically decided to take a year off after my 3rd year to do an internship I like, and went back to finish up college's final year.

Everyone should be proud to have gotten into med school, regardless of age. That is quite an accomplishment. So Congrats all.

I happen to be 32 and have already enjoyed much life, hubby, 3 kids, 1st career, & travelled the world. Oh yeah, don't forget the partying. .:clap: I have just done mine 1st. So we all get to enjoy life either before or after becoming a dr.

Good luck to everyone, older & younger.

Originally posted by CalBeE
I'll be 23 when I enter med school, but that's because my Birthday's in May. Technically I'm one year behind those who graduate from college in 4 years and enter medical school directly. I basically decided to take a year off after my 3rd year to do an internship I like, and went back to finish up college's final year.

I'm in the exact same situation as you CalBeE. I took a semester off to work for a company in Buffalo, because of that I stayed an extra semester at school and will be 23 when I start.

Amen! Turning 20 right after starting med school (god willing).

Holy crap! Thats crazy, How did you manage that?

now wait a second. let's say a person goes directly to college after high school, so for most people, unless you skipped a year or have a late birthday, that's 18, no? so for years of undergrad would make you 22 when you graduate, possibly 23 depending on your birthday. so starting at 21 isn't that much of a difference than somebody going directly from one school to another.

but really, what's the big deal about when you start? life is a journey, not a race.

Originally posted by musiclink213
life is a journey, not a race.

I love this quote. Reminds me of something my Dad would say. :)

I know for sure I would not have been ready to enter medical school at 22. Academically speaking I may have been ready, but I've done a lot of growing up in these few years off.

~Lubdubb

Originally posted by lyragrl
Here's a thought: Why don't we stop fighting and boasting about which age is best?

INSTEAD, why don't we be proud for each other? I can be proud that Slickness has several schools to choose from. I can be proud of Kashue for his research accomplishments and the fact that he may be going to Case next year (or maybe NU, where hopefully we'd be in class together). I can be proud of exmike for working so hard to achieve his goal of med school. The list goes on and on.

In return, you can be proud of me, not because I'm 31, but because--like all of you--I worked really hard to get here.

If you read a lot of the "Countdown" threads from last year, you can see that there was a great energy of support for fellow applicants. Maybe we could strive to be that way too instead of constantly fighting about which age is better.

:thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll be 23, since my bday is in May. Took a year off because, um well actually I didn't get in last year so thats why.

To all you young one's out there...I'll admit it, I'm jealous. Sure I can say that I've "had more life experiences" but that doesn't change the fact that I wish I had these experiences earlier in life so that I was more mature at your age so that I could go on to med school and get to the work that I want to do earlier. To you young ones I say appreciate your opportunity and best of luck.

Originally posted by Kashue
I think it's the way the op worded his post. Personally, I found it condescending. It sounded like "neener neener, I'm younger and I'm gonna be a full-fledged practicing doctor by 28."
Not really. I guess it's wrong to be proud to be young and going to med school? I wanted to see how many of us were out there. I agree with Goober. This thread was no way intended to put down nontrads...:rolleyes:

21! but I really think that 21-22 is the real average age of people starting medical school, 'cause if you think about it there are probably a lot of "older" people (people who changed careers, etc.) which brings the average up. plus most people are 18ish when the start college making them 22ish when they start med school. in the end who really cares, we're in!

Originally posted by danwsu
I'll be 23, since my bday is in May. Took a year off because, um well actually I didn't get in last year so thats why.

Why are you laughing at the Chiefs? I'd show a little more discretion if my team just finished the worst season of any team coming out as the previous season's AFC champs. *That* makes me laugh.

Go Chiefs!:love:

Congrats on getting into Med school, btw. ;)

hey, its coo'...Slick is the "give-myself-mad-props" master...you shall be known as propmaster fro now on...

I'm personally afraid of going to med school at this average age of mine (23)...I worry about missing out, but I've had too many good years that have gone back to the beginning of high school, and I guess it'll be cool to really buckle down. yes, going to med school is courageous regardless of age, but i could see being moreso for older/very young students...

Originally posted by turkdlit
hey, its coo'...Slick is the "give-myself-mad-props" master...you shall be known as propmaster fro now on...
Everytime I see your name now, I know you are somehow directing an insult at me. What, I can't even write a thread now without you on my back? At least you had the decency to erase your signature about me.

Please do not turn this thread into some argument against me. I just wanted to start a thoughtful discussion on the subject and see how many people are out there that are going to med school at a young age.

dont flatter yourself, propmaster, nobody is stalking you! Some people are so vain...

back to the subject at hand peeps...

Originally posted by turkdlit
dont flatter yourself, propmaster, nobody is stalking you! Some people are so vain...

back to the subject at hand peeps...
Ok anyways...I apologize for the temporary glitch. Yes on to the subject at hand.

Originally posted by lyragrl

wow! thanks! :) :clap:

I'll be an old hag, I'm 23 and almost 3yrs removed from undergrad :(:rolleyes:

Originally posted by TheFlash
The 13 year old MS1 at Pritzker has got all of y'all beat.

I remember reading about a child that young who was going to medical school. My question is, how will they let him practice when he finishes? Would patients truly respect someone that young, conducting their physicals and giving advice for treatment? Maybe he will have a mentor, or he will pursue the research route. I think thirteen is too young. How could he understand the ethical dilemmas and have enough life experience to face the tough decisions?

Originally posted by G_Eagle
I remember reading about a child that young who was going to medical school. My question is, how will they let him practice when he finishes? Would patients truly respect someone that young, conducting their physicals and giving advice for treatment? Maybe he will have a mentor, or he will pursue the research route. I think thirteen is too young. How could he understand the ethical dilemmas and have enough life experience to face the tough decisions?

he is MD/Ph.D. so he should be 20-21 when he enters residency. that doesnt sound too bad.

Originally posted by exmike
he is MD/Ph.D. so he should be 20-21 when he enters residency. that doesnt sound too bad.
I guess you could argue that he wouldn't have a "normal" life anyway, etc. Still, if he spends his youth in an adult world, what will fill the void of his youthful experiences? When does he have a chance to be a kid? When will he have the opportunity to make mistakes and learn responsibility? Medicine is responsibility, which requires maturity. Medical school will bring us maturity as we realize we are in "the real world," but how much of that was built as a foundation in our teens? Oh well, I guess this post rambles away from the issue....

Originally posted by G_Eagle
When will he have the opportunity to make mistakes and learn responsibility?
Perhaps when he's on his surgical rotation. :eek:

I'll be 25 a few weeks before becoming an MS1.

I party sometimes. I'm glad that I got the "I'm 21, so I can get plastered legally anytime I want to" phase out of my system, and now I'm quite ready for the road ahead.

I think it's kind of cool that by the time I'm a real doctor, my age will add credibility. Patients won't know that I am just a few years out of med school, but they'll be afraid to put their health in the hands of a wet-behind-the-ears babyfaced doc.

Different strokes for different folks. Be glad that you're going to be a doctor. Life is definitely not a race.

Besides, you're only as old as the women you date...

-NS

Anyone ever wonder how Doogie Houser M.D is doing these days? Wasn't he like a resident at age 16? thats nuts!

Originally posted by chitown
Anyone ever wonder how Doogie Houser M.D is doing these days? Wasn't he like a resident at age 16? thats nuts!

what exactly was the deal with that show? I'm too young to really remember what doogie's circumstances were int hat show. Was he a resident in the show? How old was he? Was that show any good? Did they ever show "stuff" like they do in ER? is it worth download off the internet?!!! haha ok one question too many.

Originally posted by Nvr Ending Jrny
what exactly was the deal with that show? I'm too young to really remember what doogie's circumstances were int hat show. Was he a resident in the show? How old was he? Was that show any good? Did they ever show "stuff" like they do in ER? is it worth download off the internet?!!! haha ok one question too many.

Vinny Delpino didn't get enough play.

Slickness, I started med school at 20. I got my bachelor's degree in 2 years, didn't skip any grades from K-12. In some ways it's nice to know that if I choose something like cardiology i'll only be 29 or 30 when I'm completely done. All the people who have made any comment at my school about starting young say that they wish they had started young so they could start their career earlier. I've never had anyone tell me that I should have experienced life more.

I can't imagine having a 24 yr old resident.... scary.

Originally posted by jaeida8
Slickness, I started med school at 20. I got my bachelor's degree in 2 years, didn't skip any grades from K-12. In some ways it's nice to know that if I choose something like cardiology i'll only be 29 or 30 when I'm completely done. All the people who have made any comment at my school about starting young say that they wish they had started young so they could start their career earlier. I've never had anyone tell me that I should have experienced life more.
Nice. You deserve a congratulations. :clap:

Sometimes I wish I would have started a couple of years ago. :laugh: JK

are we talking about irreversibility vs potentiality here?

forgive me every dear grand pa and grand ma. didn't mean to be offensive here. but i need my defense to keep the bench warm.
Long live you all, docs. don't forget to buy some life insurance though. :D

Originally posted by Brickhouse
Why are you laughing at the Chiefs? I'd show a little more discretion if my team just finished the worst season of any team coming out as the previous season's AFC champs. *That* makes me laugh.

Go Chiefs!:love:

Congrats on getting into Med school, btw. ;)

I laugh because the chiefs smack talked all year then couldn't win a single playoff game at home. In fact 0-5 in their last few playoff games :laugh:

Oh and in the event I go to KC for med school, I just want to say no hard feelings chief fans and please don't hurt me. :hardy:

I think that the OP just started this thread because he's frustrated at all of the "older" people who claim that going to med school right out of college will make you an immature doc, or that you're missing out on life, etc. I've heard/read plenty of those comments, and while I have the utmost respect for anyone who travelled, did research, got married, etc., before going to med school, I am THRILLED to be going to med school right away so that I can get more stuff done with my MD (travel as a doc, etc.). So, that being said, I think that was the intent of this thread... nothing meanacing, just a response....

- Quid!

Originally posted by quideam
I think that the OP just started this thread because he's frustrated at all of the "older" people who claim that going to med school right out of college will make you an immature doc, or that you're missing out on life, etc. I've heard/read plenty of those comments, and while I have the utmost respect for anyone who travelled, did research, got married, etc., before going to med school, I am THRILLED to be going to med school right away so that I can get more stuff done with my MD (travel as a doc, etc.). So, that being said, I think that was the intent of this thread... nothing meanacing, just a response....

- Quid!
As the designated OP, I would partially agree. My intention was a spur of the moment thing and I just wanted to see who else is in my position. Like you I'm happy to be going to med school at a young age so I can get it over with.

I'll be starting straight out of college (22 y.o.), but I gotta give props to the people that have the drive to go back after a few years in the real world. I think it would be really difficult to transition back into student mode after having an income/real life for several years. Anyway, nice work at getting to this point everyone!

I am 22, just returning to school to finish my undergrad, and as others have said - there's more than just finishing as soon as possible.
I'm in no position to tell you how to run your life, but now is the time for you to take a moment and see more than you have. I have spent my last years out of school taking jobs, starting a busienss, and traveling places I never could with a wife and/orkids. I hope you don't regret it later - good luck, and congrats on getting in!

Age is not that important.

I'm 21. However, I've met people 30 that are less mature and people my age that are more mature, better equipped.

I don't think the mean is truly the best measure of central tendency; because you have a few people in every class which pulls the mean to the right more. So, I'd argue that mode or median would give us a better picture. One 50 year old would skew the numbers in a class of 80 students. So, lets say they have a 50 year old and 40 year old and a few 30 year olds. So, the average is like 24. Well, you still have 60 students that are 21 or 22.

So, I'd still say that using mean as the measure of cental tendency tells you nothing about the class you're going to be in. It's not going to fit a normal distribution where you find most students are 24 or 25 with a equal distribution tapering off toward each end. So, why do the mean. Most students are truly 21 or 22.