Young Members' Survey Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stafocker

DPM=Foot Ankle Authority
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be old news (released 2005), but here it is from the APMA website, i thought it was really interesting and much more accurate portrayal of DPM's currently graduating with 2/3 year residencies:

http://www.apma.org/s_apma/bin.asp?CID=145&DID=19596&DOC=FILE.PDF

it's a big file. Any comments?

I was really surprised as to how much of difference females get underpaid compared to males.... even today, wow.

Members don't see this ad.

...I was really surprised as to how much of difference females get underpaid compared to males.... even today, wow.
Yes, this is too bad, but many women coming out of residency are nearing, or already into, their 30s and looking to have children while their body is still capable (which obviously necessitates at least some time off from work). I'm not trying to start a debate here... just my guess as to the possible reasoning for pay differences.

I'm not passing judgement, but many groups or even hospitals hiring a young DPM may. If a 30yo male doc were to say "hi everyone, I know I just started here a year ago, but I need two or three months off pretty soon," he'd get laughed at. If a newly pregnant female doc said that, the group/department has no choice but to accomodate and the worker's colleagues have to somehow cover the patients and call schedule. Also, maybe a fair amount of the young female DPMs responding to the survey were citing a salary for a year in which they had taken some maternity leave; that it a definite possibility when you consider the age group. I would think/hope that a survey of DPMs 10+ years out into practice would show closer to equal pay for equal work since that window has passed.

These kind sensitive gender issues are also the likely reason for no CRIPS or clerkship questions on relationship/family status. It would be fairly obvious that a newly married female student with no kids would probably draw apprehension at some programs, especially at a demanding residency program that only takes one or two per year. I've heard from a couple female residents/attendings that they were told, during their residency training, by fellow residents or even attendings to, "make sure you are taking birth control" or "don't get pregnant."

...I like that everyone was supposely 2 or more years out of residency, yet one respondant stated their age as 21. Doogie Howser, DPM? :laugh:

Seems you have to have a membership to view that survery. Would you care to post some of the things you found interesting from it? Thanks

Its not just women. Even if its married guy with prior commitments (like he cant leave Des Moines city at any cost). he is also gonna suffer.

Women usually work less as they have other major commitments like family, limited to geographic location if they are already married and husbands are well settled. (It would be very hard for Cardiologist hubby be willing to move to rural nebraska for his wife) or think why would a DPM family wanna raise their kids in rural area where there is shortage of good schools. they might then prefer a location with urban flavor for their kids and those areas are usually saturated with existing pods.

may be one can get a good residency with his/her 4.0 gpa but seeing graduating IM and FM physicians in my own family strugging, i can say one cannot make good income or get good patient base if he/she has no business mind [unless they get hand selected directly from residency into an established group with salary]