A Young Physician’s Point of View on Increasing Applicants to Podiatric Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well before I actually read the article, I have to wonder about the alphabet soup that follows the authors name.

Edit: I do not find anything fundamentally wrong with the article. Podiatry is a interesting and rewarding career. There is definitely a need for branding. It however does not solve the current ROI problem. If there was a better job market all of my grievances would be solved.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Still giving us the old "boomers need feet docs" propaganda... cool. It really be your own peers and mentors selling ya down the river.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Title should be "How do we further saturate a saturated field where I couldn't even find a job so I did a 2 year fellowship".

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Wait I thought we wanted the opposite? Less applicants = better

Reactions: 1 users
Still giving us the old "boomers need feet docs" propaganda... cool. It really be your own peers and mentors selling ya down the river.

Yep the boomers are already in their prime for being seen by DPMs and surprise surprise it’s not enough patients to go around for everyone

Yep the boomers are already in their prime for being seen by DPMs and surprise surprise it’s not enough patients to go around for everyone

Yeah ive seen two students to an attending in clinic. a lot. sure all the clientele is old but i can imagine this just leads to double scrubbed bunions in residency

Why do people do DABPM and FACPM in their credentials. You have to be a DABPM in order to be FACPM. Same with FACFAS and DABFAS.
I never saw dacfas or whatever until this year. 15 years in this circle.

Well before I actually read the article, I have to wonder about the alphabet soup that follows the authors name.
Lol.... seems the same 5 letters always tend to be missing too... no matter how many acronyms they can muster.

... "Often when I am training or lecturing allopathic or osteopathic physicians..."
On wounds?
There are only one or two UMich DPMs who do any bone surgery aside from I&D and amps. This is not one of them.

...Proposing that every DPM train MDs and DOs to increase awareness? I'm not sure that's the answer. Wouldn't decades and century of results tend to do that? Wouldn't there be a need that we don't have to shout from the rooftops and "teach" people is a need?
Does every ortho teach ER and IM to promote awareness? Every derm promote applications to their residencies? Every ENT educates the public? Nope, they just have good ROI and aren't saturated to the point where they are forced to consider limited income, limited locations, limited scope, limited quality, etc jobs... as DPMs such as the author were.

I love his quoting the guy (Harkless) who is as responsible as any DPM for causing residency shortage and new schools without need or training programs to support. He name-drops to give cred to the article.... that's laughable. Harkless was semi-famous 25yrs ago just because DPM residencies in big hospitals were rare back then, but I think everyone who had to re-enter match (and likely will in 5yrs!) during residency shortages might say he fell from grace. Maybe he owed him a shout out for finding him a multi-year fellowship leading to a limited scope wound job despite failing to pass BQ with 5 years post-grad training?? Yikes.

Title should be "How do we further saturate a saturated field where I couldn't even find a job so I did a 2 year fellowship".
As soon as you said 2-year fellowship and somebody wrote a pro Podiatry article, I knew exactly who you were talking about.... This dude is just playing the talking head game...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as you said 2-year fellowship and somebody wrote a pro Podiatry article, I knew exactly who you were talking about.... This dude is just playing the talking head game...
He should write an article on physician burn-out. That's a hot topic right now.

Reactions: 1 user
On substance, the article feels kind of forced. It's only 5 paragraphs long, much like an essay I would have written in a Freshman composition class in undergrad. He doesn't convey a lot of enthusiasm and trots out a lot of APMA talking points.

Someone made him do it.

On substance, the article feels kind of forced. It's only 5 paragraphs long, much like an essay I would have written in a Freshman composition class in undergrad. He doesn't convey a lot of enthusiasm and trots out a lot of APMA talking points.

Someone made him do it.
He used his 3rd grade daughter to fill space and make up a story. But is this not the hard-hitting journalism we expect from Podiatry today? Aren't they like the New York times of Podiatry publications?

Reactions: 3 users

Someone made him do it.
There are better talking points then educated other doctors and brainwash your own kids.

He used his 3rd grade daughter to fill space and make up a story. But is this not the hard-hitting journalism we expect from Podiatry today? Aren't they like the New York times of Podiatry publications?
podiatry today is to podiatry journalism what USA today is to American journalism. Duh, it's why they made it their title

"Recently, I took it upon myself to gauge my own children’s level of curiosity into the specialty. I first reviewed a surgical case presentation with my daughter, who happens to be in the third grade. Initially, she was disturbed by some of the sensitive images of amputations of the lower extremity, but gradually she became curious..."

Kid should be reading Goosebumps not looking at mangled amputation photos.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
That's the first thing I stumbled upon and had to look at it for a bit. Crazy thing is I know this guy at one time.

I remember reading an article in a magazine and this person had all the credentials.

DSC_2118~2.JPG

Some of you probably know who he is.

Reactions: 3 users
That's the first thing I stumbled upon and had to look at it for a bit. Crazy thing is I know this guy at one time.

I remember reading an article in a magazine and this person had all the credentials.

View attachment 372403

Some of you probably know who he is.
I’m thinking about going to the UK to get me them extra letters.

• Haha
I gave the article an honest chance, unfortunately it lost me at the aging baby boomer crisis in the second sentence. By the third sentence…..now the boomers are not only creating this invisible demand we keep hearing about to justify an increased enrollment, but we also need to increase enrollment so future podiatrists can buy out retiring mustache pods. This had such potential to be a true legendary piece of satire until the second paragraph.

As we all know podiatry is a tough sell because of the ROI and job market.

Large family practice residencies, even ones with many foreign medical students. Guess what every year at many of them every single resident graduating can get a job with the hospital system their residency is associated with. I am taking more than 3 or 4 graduatIng residents also. Yes honestly every single year every one of them can get a job without even moving or going through any true interview process. They also think midlevels have it pretty good as it offers a good ROI and does not require one to give up basically a decade of their life.

Where does that leave podiatry? Not in a good place. It also asks one to basically give up a decade of their life. Our career path has gotten longer and more expensive, but our job market has only improved significantly for a small minority and not the majority. I doubt in my lifetime there will be mid level saturation. I also doubt in my lifetime that I will see podiatry’s saturation go away. I am not rooting for saturation. I want to be wrong and for there to be at least some legitimate unmet demand for our profession. Our job market does not care about this author‘s opinion, my opinion or anyone else’s…it speaks for itself.

Last edited:
This "article" is pure unadulterated garbage.

• Haha
"Recently, I took it upon myself to gauge my own children’s level of curiosity into the specialty. I first reviewed a surgical case presentation with my daughter, who happens to be in the third grade. Initially, she was disturbed by some of the sensitive images of amputations of the lower extremity, but gradually she became curious..."

Kid should be reading Goosebumps not looking at mangled amputation photos.

I call BS on this
Anyone with kids knows this isn’t true. “Reviewing a surgical case presentation with my daughter…and ‘gradually she became curious?’
smh

This reminds me of the story Kamala told when she asked her mom, “mom why are conservatives bad, aren’t we supposed to conserve?” And then launched into a fake story of how her mom taught her conservatives were evil, ending of course in that beautiful cackle
Not trying to get political, but just that story wreaks of fakeness and seems conjured up for the perfect Podiatry Today puff piece

Last edited:
I call BS on this
Anyone with kids knows this isn’t true. “Reviewing a surgical case presentation with my daughter…and ‘gradually she became curious?’
smh

This reminds me of the story Kamala told when she asked her mom, “mom why are conservatives bad, aren’t we supposed to conserve?” And then launched into a fake story of how her mom taught her conservatives were evil, ending of course in that beautiful cackle
Not trying to get political, but just that story wreaks of fakeness and seems conjured up for the perfect Podiatry Today puff piece
I've had CME videos up with my kids around. They run away if a nasty foot is on the screen but they are younger and I am not trying to raise future podiatrists. I believe he did try his speech on his kids.

I believe he did try his speech on his kids.

He’s obviously a liar based on the rest of his BS in this propaganda article but if he was actually serious then what he did is better known as grooming.

I did my residency in the same city as a classmate of mine. I guess he dated some hospital secretary before she got transferred to my facility. She told me he thought he could impress her showing some amputation pictures on his phone. She was not impressed, however.

Moral of the story: NO ONE WANTS TO SEE YOUR AMPUTATION PICTURES.

• Haha
He’s obviously a liar based on the rest of his BS in this propaganda article but if he was actually serious then what he did is better known as grooming.
I believe he wants his kids to be podiatrists... I might have to write my own article: Mammas don't let your babies grow up to be podiatrists.

• Love
Exactly, if you want to impress someone, then put this on the end of your name.
60% of the time, it works every time.
IMG_0686.jpg

I showed my 9 month old daughter a video of me trimming onchomycotic nails and then she wrote a 3 page essay on why she wants to do a 2 year total toenail replacement fellowship

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I showed my 9 month old daughter a video of me trimming onchomycotic nails and then she wrote a 3 page essay on why she wants to do a 2 year total toenail replacement fellowship

Does the two year fellowship cover both the distal nail and proximal nail, the previous 1 year fellowships only covered one or the other.

I believe we've come to a general consensus regarding this article, it's impact on the current advancement of podiatry, and it's efficacy.

Closing.

Edit: I will start a thread specifically for articles- both scientific and anecdotal editor columns- you are more than welcome to do that. I only ask that you keep articles only in that thread to not populate more random threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.