Your best piece of advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katc123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those who have already applied to PT schools, what would be your best advice for those of us going through the process this year? If you could do anything different, what would that be?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say, if possible, go above and beyond the minimum requirements for the schools you are applying to. For example, don't just complete 80-100 observation hours because a schools says that is the minimum requirement. If you have the time, observe in numerous settings and get as many hours and as much experience as you can. Also, do what you can to stand out from other applicants. Schools are getting hundreds of applications, so it is absolutely necessary to do what you can to make yourself noticeable or different.

Also, apply early!!!

Good luck!! :thumbup:

Don't let people on SDN get you too freaked out. No, seriously. :p I love everyone here and everyone was truly so helpful, but we are just people on the internet, and I doubt that any of us are adcom's posing as posters to let you know what your chances *really* are... So, it's very easy to get caught up in what people say as "the truth" and it may or may not actually be that way... Basically--- take everything here with a grain of salt. :)

So, do your best, ask questions when you have them, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the statement for going above and beyond the minimum. The Adcoms that I have conversed with all have said that, outside of the numbers (which is usually the first cut), they look to separate applicants by looking for leadership, motivation, and determination. They do this by reading your essay (they look for personal experiences and how much you know about the field of PT) and LOR's along with looking at how much time you have invested in shadowing/working in PT settings and volunteering in your community (or other leadership extra-curricular. activities). As for me, my overall GPA was not great, but I had a really good pre-req GPA, so I focused a lot on the other parts of the application and made sure to go way beyond the minimum expected.

With that said, remember this was just my experience with the schools I applied to and every school is different. I highly recommend contacting the schools you are interested in by email/phone/meeting and asking questions (if anything that will show your interest and determination to be a competitive applicant). As for what I would do different... APPLY EARLY!

Good Luck to ya!

As stated by others, apply early!! PTCAS can be tricky and things are more likely to get delayed than not. Establish a rapport with professors and PTs you have shadowed in order to get the best LORs you can. Ask people who can truly speak to your abilities rather than a random professor you had 2 years ago. Write a killer essay! Emphasize what makes you unique, rather than vague and cliched statements. If you haven't already, get involved in the community, not just PT shadowing. Adcoms want to see a well-rounded individual, not someone who merely does what they are "supposed" to do in order to get into PT school.

It's a grueling process, but stay positive! If you are fortunate enough to get to the interview stage, make sure your passion and dedication to the field is apparent. Everyone gets nervous, but at the end of the day, you are there to make yourself stand out. Be sure to research each school so that you can ask thoughtful questions about their program. After all, you are looking for a "best fit" just as much as they are.

Good luck!!