your classic re-app thread...in need of wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dundermifflinthisispam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'll keep things brief, any advice is appreciated..

It's looking like I'm joining the re-applicant team in a few months, and I can't decide whether or not to sit a cycle out. After applying to 25 MD schools this cycle, I only had one II and I am currently waitlisted (but I'm not counting on that to turn into an acceptance). I know the general wisdom is to take a year off, and I'm actually more than happy to do that. I've been accepted to an masters program at Columbia that I'm highly interested in and I'd love a break from applying to really dig into my ECs. My only concern is my MCAT expiring...I scored 520-522 in 2017 and I dread re-taking only to experience a score decrease. I've added a year of semi-productive clinical research (third author), more non-clinical serviced hours, and year of medical Spanish classes (resident of southern CA), in addition to continuing my paid clinical work.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.7/3.61
weaknesses: low non-clinical volunteering, no research, late (ish) submission

I only want to reapply once, and I want to do it right. What do you guys think? Is it worth re-applying this cycle before the masters (it's a 1-year program) starts, or should I wait?

I'm not sure what to do at this point...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I'll keep things brief, any advice is appreciated..

It's looking like I'm joining the re-applicant team in a few months, and I can't decide whether or not to sit a cycle out. After applying to 25 MD schools this cycle, I only had one II and I am currently waitlisted (but I'm not counting on that to turn into an acceptance). I know the general wisdom is to take a year off, and I'm actually more than happy to do that. I've been accepted to an masters program at Columbia that I'm highly interested in and I'd love a break from applying to really dig into my ECs. My only concern is my MCAT expiring...I scored 520-522 in 2017 and I dread re-taking only to experience a score decrease. I've added a year of semi-productive clinical research (third author), more non-clinical serviced hours, and year of medical Spanish classes (resident of southern CA), in addition to continuing my paid clinical work.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.7/3.61
weaknesses: low non-clinical volunteering, no research, late (ish) submission

I only want to reapply once, and I want to do it right. What do you guys think? Is it worth re-applying this cycle before the masters (it's a 1-year program) starts, or should I wait?

I'm not sure what to do at this point...
With those stats, I doubt you only got one interview invite because of those weaknesses. I would say it sound like either your letters weren't strong enough, or presence of some red flags in your app, or your school list wasn't good enough. If it was your school list, you can work on getting a better list using the MSAR (with fewer top tiers and some good amount of mid to low tiers med schools) and re-apply. If you need better letters, start working on that ASAP before thinking of re-applying. A red flag can be harder to identify and fix. Maybe think of calling the school you interviewed at as well to ask how you can improve your app. Also if you're re-applying, you should apply early in June to maximize your chances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

25 schools, one interview, MCAT and GPA fine? I wouldn't use any of your current letters or statement. Change everything, you've got a felon lurking. I wouldn't take a year off at all, just find the fake news, you've been sabotaged or you torpedoed yourself by saying something stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
What schools and what do you call a late submission?

Thanks to all for your feedback! I think it's likely as well that a couple of my letters are weak (but I doubt they're outright negative, as I know all of my letter writers very well). No IAs, I graduated from undergrad in 2017 so accruing new science LORs may be difficult...the masters might help in this respect.

I'm a CA resident. Primary was submitted late July and most secondaries complete my end of August, only two or three were complete in September. My school list was top heavy because I lacked a non-science prof letter (which many mid-tier secondaries required):

UCLA-DGSOM
UCD
UCI
UCSD
UCSF
USC
UCR
Georgetown
Geisel
Rosalind
Albany
Ichan
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Sinai
Rush
Yale
Vandy
Tufts
BU
Harvard
U Mich
UNC
Colorado

Edit: I had difficulty targeting schools due to my GPA/MCAT split...could my GPA be part of the problem? Is the fact that I received an interview from a selective school a good sign that I don't have any huge red flags? @Faha @Magus5454

Last edited: