Your favorite/most memorable/least favorite classes and subjects/rotations in Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Clyde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This place has been pretty grim lately, and while some good information and insight has come out of it, I'm hoping we can change the pace a little bit.

I've searched around for old threads/answers to this, but there's not a whole lot to read.

What was your favorite class during Pharmacy school? Least favorite?

Same question, but for rotations during school or residency?

Any especially memorable classes or rotations?

I don't necessarily mean for this to be an advice thread (though it's fine to let it fly if you want), I'd just like to get some of the stories/rants/memories of the schooling and residency process for those of you who have been through it.

Members don't see this ad.

This place has been pretty grim lately, and while some good information and insight has come out of it, I'm hoping we can change the pace a little bit.

I've searched around for old threads/answers to this, but there's not a whole lot to read.

I don't necessarily mean for this to be an advice thread (though it's fine to let it fly if you want), I'd just like to get some of the stories/rants/memories of the schooling and residency process for those of you who have been through it.

I loved pharmaceutics. It's not an exceedingly useful course as there are no real practical applications for most pharmacists (unless you're a PharmD/PhD researcher working on new formulations or something). I just enjoyed the subject...organic chemistry was my favorite subject in undergrad. Cardiology therapeutics was my next favorite. Had a couple "least favorite" courses. They were so unmemorable that I don't remember what they were.

My favorite rotation was acute care/medicine rotation because of the variety of patient cases. Least favorite - community. Not because I dislike community, it just wasn't anything particularly new.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My favorite rotations were the two I did on the Indian reservation. Those two months were in fact the high point of my life to date. I had a great time and learned a LOT - and one of the things I learned was that whatever it takes to do aid in the second or third world, which I had planned to maybe do someday, I don't have it.

My favorite class? Gosh, it's been so long that I can't even remember the name, but it was an A&P class just for us, and while I don't recall finding the content particularly thrilling, it sure was great to study my butt off AND be rewarded for it. Our scores were posted by the last 4 digits of our SSN, and there was one woman whose number we all figured out because she consistently had the highest scores in the class - most of the time. :D You guessed it - in that class, she was 2nd place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Favorite rotations was at the poison center and then acute care: anticoagulation

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Favorites: Acute care + Hospital 2 in 1 rotation and Drug Info Center rotations...can't get enough of watching patient lab values and meds influencing these changes & health status on a QD-QOD basis. I think Pharmacists would be best doing med reconciliation and transition of care services over nurses and physicians. Drug info center because of the "randomness", references, and lack of boredom.

I can not pick a favorite amongst therapeutics but least favorite would have to be Pharmacy practice involving economics and management.

My worst rotation was 10 weeks at a grocery store pharmacy. The pharmacists were stereotypical catty pharmacists and I did nothing but made doctor calls the whole time.

Favorite classes were a drug errors elective and compounding

I liked first-semester PK because it was very easy and there was very little to memorize compared to other courses like therapeutics, but my class was full of clueless idiots (most of whom nevertheless became working pharmacists so this attests to the low analytical ability required to be an average pharmacist) so both the midterm and final averages were like 40% and 35%, like what you would see in a weeder intro science course at a public land-grant university.

TBH I disliked the therapeutics seminar (man I don't even remember the official title) where you SOAP a bunch of cases, though I did learn more how to think clinically instead of brute-force memorizing just to pass multiple choice exams.

I also hated rotations where the ****ing residents just gave the interns their own work to do (like drug information questions).

Last edited:
My least favorite class was psych therapeutics because the professor was horrible so i thought i hated the subject overall. I ended up loving my APPEs at a psychiatric hospital and prison...and grateful I ended up with those rotations because it lead me to my dream pharmacist career today. :)

Reactions: 2 users

Favorite classes (no particular order): PK, applied pharmaceutical sciences, and cardiology module of our pathophysiology, pharmacology, and therapeutics courses. I love the application of the basic sciences to the therapeutics.

Least favorite: law; professionalism, ethics, and pharmacy practice. Seriously, can professionalism and ethics be meaningfully taught in an academic setting, especially in a one-semester course?

As a P3 student, I have few rotations to choose from. None have been exciting or particularly bad. I even kind of enjoyed my CVS 3-week rotation, though my preceptor was lax with my hours which is very unrealistic. At work though, I've been able to shadow various pharmacists throughout the hospital. I've enjoyed my time in (1) AC clinic due to the autonomy and ability to see patients longitudinally, (2) cardiac ICU because I enjoy heart failure and AFib, (3) MICU because of the variety and the great pharmacist and attendings, and (4) methadone clinic because the patients are pretty funny and in a good mood to get their methadone.

I was less excited about the internal medicine and surgical ICU floors mainly because I only had the opportunity to do med recs and discharge counseling, but I think the pharmacists there enjoy their work. Also, I was uncomfortable the entire time on the inpatient psych floor, so that's definitely not for me.

No advice or rants here. One thing I didn't mention above was how much I enjoyed this one class that was an interdisciplinary HIV elective. It was a class where we talked about HIV and its relationship with the community in Baltimore. We were given the opportunity to get trained to perform HIV testing and to do outreach for HIV and HCV. It's been great to get people into care. I've tested dozens of individuals and been able to have great discussions with people. I've helped people get onto PrEP for free and into a fully subsidized HepC clinic, which is pretty rewarding. Of course, I have no idea what has happened to those individuals since, but I hope that I made a difference to them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Fave class: Pharmacoeconomics
Fave rotation: Neurosurgical ICU

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Fave rotations: MICU, pediatrics.

Fave classes: kinetics, financial management.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Fave Class: Don't really recall a favorite class. I did well in kinetics. I also enjoyed my compounding elective. Actually I enjoyed many of my electives. Drugs and Society. Critical Thinking.

Fave Rotations: I had several I enjoyed. Global Health. International Pharmacy. Summer Camp. My Community Rotation was really good too.

Ceutics and my internal medicine rotation would be the fave class and rotation