Your final 2006 Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
colforbinMD said:
So in summation for posterity and post padding. That's
1) Geisinger

2)Fl Gainesville
3) Md
4)EInstein (Philly)
5) GW
6) GT/WHC
7) SUNY Stony Brook
8) U CONN
9) Arkansas
10) Synergy
11) Ole Miss
:)
It's gonna be a long few weeks.
Just remember though at the end of it is Did ya match day, Steak and BJ day, a meaningless stress filled Wednesday, and then MATCH DAY

Yeah I've got to admit, thats postpadding at its best.

Members don't see this ad.

I would really be happy at any of these programs, so I mainly picked on location, wife's job prospects, and my "gut reactions" to programs. OK, here goes (from the MS4 formerly known as stw2361):

1) UT-Houston : Mainly a location pick, would LOVE to stay in Houston to be around family, and my wife already has a job here! Despite what corpsman has said in the past, I really like the program here; and I really like the residents too!

2) UTSW / Dallas : Hey, it's Texas.... Big city also good for wife's job, and her best friend and a lot of family here too.

3) Texas A&M / Scott & White : If I was picking only for myself and not the wife, this would have been #1.

4) Columbia, South Carolina : Good weather, pretty area, nice people, and Hawaii for a month as a 3rd year!!

5) Vanderbilt / Nashville : Working with the Bachelor aside, we really wanted to stay away from the places farther north.

6) USF / Tampa : Meeting Quinn was great, but really didn't "click" at this program. Maybe it was the "pimping" during the interview? Who knows...

7) Wake Forest : Great program obviously, just too few job prospects for the wife.

8) Texas Tech / El Paso : LOVED your program BKN, but El Paso just wasn't my cup of tea. I am also not a fan of the 3 months in Phoenix during residency. Definitely a strong program though!

9) LSU-Shreveport : Shreveport + new program. Need I say more?

Time to roll the dice....

1. U of Chicago :D
2. Harbor UCLA
3. Drexel
4. Georgetown WHC
5. UF Jacksonville
6. Henry Ford
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. VCU
9. Eastern VA
10. Johns Hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a stupid question but how do you find out where you match? Is there a specific time and place you can check a certain link on NRMP's website or do you get an email? And what about knowing on the 13th....what is that all about? Do you get an email if you don't match or if you DO match?

corpsmanUP said:
Probably a stupid question but how do you find out where you match? Is there a specific time and place you can check a certain link on NRMP's website or do you get an email? And what about knowing on the 13th....what is that all about? Do you get an email if you don't match or if you DO match?
our program has a big a** party for us at 1101, right after the results are available. but if you aren't as lucky, it's posted to nrmp i think.

kbrown said:
our program has a big ass party for us at 1101, right after the results are available. but if you aren't as lucky, it's posted to nrmp i think.
to add: you will get an email (and a phone call if you school is on the ball) letting you know on Monday if you did or (gulp) didn't match.

1. Utah
2. U Pitt
3. U Chicago
4. Boston Medical
5. Yale
6. New Mexico
7. Hennipein
8. UC Irvine
9. Brown
10. U of Maryland

corpsmanUP said:
2. Mayo- Sorry FoughtFyr, I know you have been incredible in this process for all of us, and I appreciate it. It should say a lot that I placed Mayo 2nd out of so many incredible programs. I just wished there were more FoughtFyr's at Mayo. I didn't really meet any other Mayo residents that I felt like I would be great friends with like I did "H". But overall I would be thrilled to be at this place and it would be an honor. I agonized over the Mayo-Indy 1-2 order for weeks and finally came to closure last week. My wife finally gave me the go ahead even though she favored Mayo's location. PD here is incredible, and it truly is "Wonka's Factory"!

No worries! All I hope for anyone is that they end up where they want to and end up where they will do the best for them. In the end "the needs of the patient are the only needs to be considered" so for the sake of everyone's patients, here hoping you find a great fit to learn at!

Fingers crossed 'til match day!

BTW - little Mayo love on these ROLs, come on, what's up with that...

- H

Props to U of C as I think they are the 1st and only program to have 2 people on SDN rank them # 1 so far..

Actually Carolinas was 1st, then U of C then harbor... whoops..

BKN said:
EF, FF and Corpsman, give up the illusion of control, nobody has it.

My list
1. Tech
2. everywhere else

Do I get the beer?
This is straight from Days of Thunder. There are few things we CAN control. Thats why I play playstation!

1 Denver
2 UTSW
3 Palmetto SC
4 UNC - Chapel Hill
5 Indiana
6 Kentucky
7 Hennipen
8 Duke
9 UF - Jax
10 Orlando
11 Truman
12 Nebraska

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta give props to the moderators of this forum. It's been really useful and helpful the last couple of years...great job and good luck to everyone!

1. Harbor-UCLA
2. Denver
3. Maricopa
4. Pitt
5. Emory
6. OHSU
7. Cook County
8. Jacobi
9. Penn

1. UCSF-Fresno
2. Maricopa
3. UT Southwestern
4. Indiana
5. UCLA-Olive View
6. Houston
7. USC
8. Harvard

Harbor 3 Uof C and Carolinas 2.. many many others 1..

1. Palmetto SC
2. Univ of Mississippi
3. Scott and White
4. UAMS Arkansas
5. UAB Birmingham
6. Louisville
7. Wright State OH
8. Kansas City MO
9. Texas Tech El Paso

Spouse loves her job in MS and would like to stay here. Only Columbia had a package and town that was attractive enough to make her want to leave. She will if she has to, but she'd rather not. Texas Tech would have been much higher on my list, but my Spanish has gotten quite rusty over the past 5 years.

Long time user under a different name...but here is mine (I'll post more about each program later on) 1-4 all could've been my #1 as I really liked them all...and in all reality I'd be grateful to be at any of my list!!!

1) Carolinas :)
2) Vandy
3) Michigan
4) MGH/BW Harvard
5) Indy
6) Denver
7) Hennepin
8) Wake
9) Utah
10) Duke
11) Cincy (best program by far that I saw, I just didn't like the city and it was my GF's one Veto power).

1. Northwestern
2. NYU
3. BIDMC
4. Stanford
5. BWH/MGH
6. Highland
7. New York Pres
8. Brown
9. Maryland
10. Emory
11. Yale
12. BMC

All over the place, I know. Couples match played a factor too.

1. UNC
2. Palmetto
3. OHSU
4. UTSW
5. Christ
6. U. Chicago
7. Emory
8. Duke
9. UC Davis
10. Res
11. UTH
12. MCW
13. UNM

Good luck to every one. 3 weeks and counting back.

This whole process has been plaqued with waiting...just think only 3 MORE weeks of waiting...

Anyway, I am jacked about getting my ROL in and finding out where I'll be...

1-Wake
2-Indy
3-Vandy
4-Hennepin
5-Kalamazoo
6-Milwaukee
7-Carolinas
8-Tampa
9-UPitt
10-Emory

Good Luck to all in the match!

FoughtFyr said:
No worries! All I hope for anyone is that they end up where they want to and end up where they will do the best for them. In the end "the needs of the patient are the only needs to be considered" so for the sake of everyone's patients, here hoping you find a great fit to learn at!

Fingers crossed 'til match day!

BTW - little Mayo love on these ROLs, come on, what's up with that...

- H

You are truly a class act FF! :thumbup: Everyone on here has tremendous respect for you and you notice there are few residents who take the time to help us rookies like you do around here. Kudos, bravo zulu to you! If I end up at either of my top 2 I will be blessed from above undoubtedly.

It was a really tough decision. I had to use the same formula for each program in order to feel like I was evaluating each place objectively. I literally had a spreadsheet with points for each category. Mayo came in 3 points less than Indy, but both were in the high 90's of 100 total.

And for anyone wanting to know my special circumstance, here goes. My wife is a type I diabetic who is an athlete to boot. She costs a lot each month....each year...etc.! I had to factor in the cost of living and the cost of health care for her and my family. Thats why some of your program coordinators had last minute calls from me about the actual premium prices etc... She takes insulin, a statin, an ace, thyroid replacement, and is soon to be on the pump which will make things even more costly with supplies. Her expenses can run us $500.00 clams a month or more on some plans so I had to carefully evaluate the deductibles, the copays, etc... Indy has virtually a free healthcare plan for residents and family, as did Iowa (completely free..even scripts and copays covered).

Mayo's was a bit more than I wanted to pay but the other awesome things about it brought it up to the high 90's. My kids and wife would have been better off in the long run in Rochester due to better schools and quality of living, but I'll let fate determine where I end up now. I am comletely and utterly satisfied that I made the decision to the best of my abilities and I will leave it in the hands of the higher power upstairs.

And "H", if I don't match with you, I'll either carry on the tradition of showing the hospitality you showed me to someone else, or I'll be happy to come visit and repay the kindness. You Sir will always be a friend no matter where I end up. God Bless....gotta run before my fingers welp up!! :oops:

1. Ohio State (Go Bucks!) ;)
2. Wash U St. Louis
3. U of Michigan
4. Denver
5. Mayo
6. New Mexico
7. Cook County
8. Hennepin
9. Christ
10. Maricopa

Now we can just sit back, "relax," and wait for this to be decided! Good luck everyone!

Ectopic are your going to do a peds EM fellowship? I noticed one of your ranks was a combined EM/peds program.

Anyone know anything good about vanderbilt peds Em, medical college of georgia, jacksonville, or Ut Houston or orlando (I don't think UT Houston or Orlando are on freida, but program directors told me they have it/are starting it).
I think we should count Wash u in the equation - several people have it number 2.

Best Wishes

The Mish

Exactly two people have#2 and one has it #1. That should equal two number ones right - man I sound like I am back on peds with all this number one, number two talk

keep padding the post

Best wishes

The mish

I'll borrow from Corpsman and elaborate on my top 5.
Here goes:
1.) Morristown Memorial Hospital, NJ AKA "Motown"
I feel like this program is one of those hidden gems. Just a great group of residents and a real great attitude as a whole. Rotations are mostly EM, critical care, and trauma. The PD really tries to make sure all experiences are educationally worthwhile and EM focused. Research is quite impressive for a community program. There are a lot of tox people on faculty. You get your knife and gun club experiences at University Hospital in Newark which is really not that far if you're familiar with NJ. The hospital has a great reputation locally and will be opening up a peds fellowship. They are a relatively small program taking 6 a year. Most patients have private docs and good follow up so you get some seriously ill people in the ED. I got to use my spanish quite often which I have missed while in Southern OH the last 4 years. I spent a month here and had a great experience the entire time which is most likely why it received the top position.

2.)St Luke's Roosevelt, NYC
This program really fought hard for number 1. The residents I met were really nice and seemed like a group I could totally hang out with. The atmosphere was really pleasant and happy. The two hospital system seems like a great model allowing exposure to both a private and more inner city system. The housing opportunities are great and you get to be in the middle of it all... Midtown Manhattan. They even send you to Vegas or Miami for a trauma month! I really liked this place and it's program is set up very similarly to Morristown. You can be a doctor for the Met/Lincoln Center for side money- that almost sold me right there! I'd be just as happy going here.

3.)University of Maryland, Baltimore
Trauma! Trauma! Trauma! The home of the famous "Shock Trauma" really impressed me. The PD sold me on his style of didactics which doesn't use textbooks but solely uses recent articles. Some really neat rotations like trauma anesthesia and ped anesthesia. Great pediatrics experiences and they have very impressive fellowship placements. The residents were really nice and seemed like a very social group. Some programs send their residents here for a month or two to do trauma. They have a LOT of exposure to HIV and homeless patients. Researchis abundant

4.)Metrohealth CWRU/Cleveland clinic, OH - Corpsman did a great job explaining this one. You can be a doctor for the Browns games and you get a lot of chopper time.

5.)Ohio State
Another one already explained well. A lot of drunk college kids and a really nice,cheap city to live in. Hooray!

The rest I could elaborate on by request.

6.)Summa Akron City, OH
7.)Akron General, OH
8.)Beth Israel Medical Center, NYC
9.)St. Lukes Bethlehem PA
10.)USF
11.)Albert Einstein, PA

Poncho said:
1. Northwestern

What gives?! I thought I was going to be the only one with Northwestern first on this thing. Ok, Poncho, looks like we are going to have to battle to the death. That, or we will both end up at the same program and be best friends for ever. We have until March 14th (steak/BJ day, scramble day, my birthday) to decide. Anyway, here's my final list...

1. Northwestern
2. BW/MGH
3. Boston Medical Center
4. Jacobi/Monte
5. Cook
6. Mt. Sinai
7. Yale
8. Penn
9. St. Luke's/Roosevelt
10. Downstate/King's County

I have to admit, I am literally floored to see my top 2 at the top of so few of you guys' lists! Wow, Indy, down so low on most everyone's list or in the middle. And Mayo! Only on a couple of lists.

I guess all this bides well for the CorpsmanUP hopefully!! :D

Good luck to everyone and may we resume normal eating habits!

corpsmanUP said:
I have to admit, I am literally floored to see my top 2 at the top of so few of you guys' lists! Wow, Indy, down so low on most everyone's list or in the middle. And Mayo! Only on a couple of lists.

I guess all this bides well for the CorpsmanUP hopefully!! :D

Good luck to everyone and may we resume normal eating habits!

I really liked Indy, but didn't want to live in Indianapolis. I would be happy to match there though. I wish I was in your position with regard to your #1, 3 people on this board have Carolinas #1. Oh well, we'll see what happens on match day. Good luck.

1) Christiana
2) Eastern Virginia
3) Virginia
4) Tampa
5) Wake Forest
6) UF-Gainesville
7) East Carolina
8) Virginia Commonwealth
9) Einstein
10) Jefferson
11) Orlando

Whew, glad the list is in. It was affecting my sleep. I will say that my wife had a major say and moved several around. As was said earlier, compromise makes my life easier!

Good luck to everyone. :clap:

So obviously i'm trying to stay in the south. Also i'm dealing with the whole couples match thing and we cancelled quite a few good programs.

1) Vanderbilt - She did an away rotation there and loved it. I love Nashville and its a change of pace from my second choice where i've been for several years.

2) Wake Forest - I love this program, the hospital and the area in general. I would still be elated to match here.

3) VCU/Richmond - We enjoyed the area and I liked the amount of trauma and critical care exposure they get there. They also have a research fellowship there that I liked.

4) Louisville - Got along well with the residents, liked the hours. they have fellowships for my s/o

5) EVMS/ Norfolk - looked like a good place to live and I really got along with the PD. Little concerned the off-service rotations wouldn't stack up.

6) Emory - residents looked tired. wonder why?

NR: Duke - duke is not duke.

1. Baton Rouge
2. Duke
3. York
4. Louisville
5. Lansing
6. Rochester
7. Buffalo
8. William Beaumont
9. St. John, Detroit

WakeMedHeel said:
Yo Waterski...how's Chicago?

Awesome... Girls everywhere! Did you take the inservice yesterday? How's Boston?

1. Temple- loved this program. Brand new ER is going to be finished soon. Has an inner city population. The residents and faculty were great. Their chair is pretty big in EM, and he does work shifts. Didactics are great. The conference we sat in on was excellent. And they get a lot of visiting lecturers who are big names in EM (Rosen, etc). 3 months at CHOP (2 ED, 1 PICU). And I loved Philadelphia...not ridiculously expensive, lots to do, close to NYC, DC, Atlantic City, the Poconos.

2. Drexel/MCP Hahnemann- really well known program. I got along great with the residents and the PD. Tons of critical care training. Loved Philly.

3. Ohio State- I was really impressed by the strong Pediatrics training. Overall very strong training. Columbus is really affordable.

4. Cook County- would have been ranked higher if was a 3 year program. I rotated at county programs and really liked working with county-type patient populations. I really think I'd fit in here.

5. Boston Medical Center- Boston is ridiculously expensive, but this program is great. Didn't fit in that great with the residents I met on my interview day, though.

6. UTSW- I really want to leave Texas for a while, but I thought this program was too strong to drop any further. Have some concerns (strong Medicine and Surgery, etc) but the faculty are great and at least I'd be 4 hours away from my family in San Antonio.

7. Texas Tech- I was really impressed by this program, seems like the residents get tons of clinical experience, but I wanted to leave Texas for a few years. I only ranked UTSW above it because if I DO end up in Texas, I'd rather be 4 hours away from family rather than 9+.

8. Thomas Jefferson- strong clinical training. In Philly, which is a plus to me.

9. Allegheny- I really liked Pittsburgh. The program seems solid but there were other programs I thought offered stronger training.

10. Resurrection- The biggest con for me was that they rotate through something like 7 hospitals. I like balanced training, but 7 seemed like way too much. You'll be driving a lot through Chicago traffic to get to and from these sites. Training seemed solid, but the residents I spoke to seemed to be more excited about living in Chicago than they were about the program.

11. UT Houston- Just didn't think I fit in. Training is okay.

12. LSU-Baton Rouge- Training seemed great, but I didn't really want to live in Baton Rouge...and out of ~36 residents, there is currently only one female.

1. Ohio State - my family is one hour away
2. Univerisity of North Carolina - med school now
3. SUNY Upstate - Syracuse - my husband's family is one hour away
4. University of Pittsburgh
5. Metrohealth/ CWRU
6. Christiana
7. Duke
8. Regions

1. Linoln (NY)
2. Jacobi
3. Cook
the rest i kept messing around with so now i dont remember how they go

1. OSU :luck:
2. Vandy
3. Maricopa
4. Harbor
5. UTSW
6. Carolinas
7. UNM
8. UNC
9. AZ

Dr.MISHKA said:
Ectopic are your going to do a peds EM fellowship? I noticed one of your ranks was a combined EM/peds program.

Anyone know anything good about vanderbilt peds Em, medical college of georgia, jacksonville, or Ut Houston or orlando (I don't think UT Houston or Orlando are on freida, but program directors told me they have it/are starting it).
I think we should count Wash u in the equation - several people have it number 2.

Best Wishes

The Mish
Mishka... I am def thinking about it.. I think I would like to get into Peds or more into the Admin type side of EM. I rotated at Orlando and they are about to get their new Peds ED and Dr Clark (who trained at CHOP) is the head Peds EM guy. He is AMAZING!!! I really liked working with him, a real cool guy. Wash U def rolls way Deep with Peds.. Made them very appealing plus I think their program was awesome.. but "family" circumstances played their role..

So no one else has Arizona even in their top 3 except me and Mishka? Huh? Weird.. I also think Ohio State has a bunch..

5 of my friends who shared their ROLs with me and their #1s...

Loma Linda, Harbor, Ohio State, Maricopa, and U of Rochester

1) Vanderbilt
2) UVa
3) Cincinnati
4) Wake Forest
5) UC Davis
6) Christiana
7) Indiana
8) Loma Linda
9) Wash U

Primary Ranking Criterion: Wherever my wife wants to live.

hee, my primary criterion was bein in NYC or Chicago. i guess here are the benefits of being single ;)

Here's my list! As you can see, I am geographically limited and I am also prioritizing three year programs. Good luck everyone!!

1. St Lukes-Roosevelt
2. North Shore
3. NY Methodist
4. Maimonides
5. NYH Queens
6. Mt. Sinai
7. NYU/Bellevue
8. SUNY Downstate
9. Beth Israel
10. Jacobi

Taintwax said:
1) Vanderbilt
2) UVa
3) Cincinnati
4) Wake Forest
5) UC Davis
6) Christiana
7) Indiana
8) Loma Linda
9) Wash U

Primary Ranking Criterion: Wherever my wife wants to live.

Primary might be a little strong, but definitely a strong second.

Flip flopped a bunch with number one vs. two. Would be happy though at any of these places.

EVMS
MCV
Yale
USF
MCG
HAEMR
St. Lukes (PA)
WSU-Recieving
Beth Israel
SUNY-Upstate
SUNY-Stony Brook
WSU-Grace
Albert Einstein

Best of luck to everyone!

I ranked based on getting out of OH and proximity to latin food! :p

Seriously, I didn't want to stay in OH but there are some really great programs here so they are ranked 4-7. My family is in the NYC/NJ area and I miss them terribly. It would be nice to be back again but I based it mostly on feel and academic focus. That way I can't blame my family if I'm not happy where I am. Oh well, now we just wait :cool: .

but i have a match list too....
1. Rochester
2. Albany
3. Syracuse
4. York
5. Christiana
6. Allegheny
7. Camden
8. Akron
9. Jefferson
10. Buffalo

can you tell i'm a northeast girl at heart?!!

drdrtoledo said:
I ranked based on getting out of OH and proximity to latin food! :p

Seriously, I didn't want to stay in OH but there are some really great programs here so they are ranked 4-7. My family is in the NYC/NJ area and I miss them terribly. It would be nice to be back again but I based it mostly on feel and academic focus. That way I can't blame my family if I'm not happy where I am. Oh well, now we just wait .

whee, i hope i get to leave ohio too. my fam is in NJ but i'd done some major brainwashing about not wanting to live in suburbia and therefore not applying to NJ/DE/CT programs. now i just hope i get matched someplace :rolleyes:

As stated earlier here is my list w/the some of the reasons

1.Carolinas – Great program, residents seemed happy, Charlotte seemed like a cool town, PD’s very involved and seemed fun. Negatives for me, no Med students other than 4th year rotators, and ED is not computerized, could’ve easily been switched out w/my #2-4, but someone had to be first.

2.Vanderbilt – Awesome facilities, residents very happy, safe fun city, great cost of living, Slovis and Wrenn are known educators, med students around, great ED. Negatives: low pt volume and possibly not enough shifts, very academic oriented.

3.Michigan – Very surprised by this but totally awesome program, lots of great things going on up north, agro PD, new ED, great chair. Negatives: it’s up north and very cold gray weather, drive 55 miles to flint for trauma.

4.Harvard MGH/BW – Good facilities, known name, excellent off service as well as on service, great computerized training. Negatives: How the hell does anyone live in Boston, seriously, it isn’t even funny. Two of my roommates dropped Harvard down from first to 4th or 5th due to Boston’s high cost of living. I initially had it 1st, but moved it down due to $$$$ for a ½ bedroom apt.

-----ALL OF THE ABOVE COULD'VE BEEN #1, I JUST HAD TO CHOOSE 1 -----

5.Indianapolis – Amazing program that will be many peoples 1-3, but for me I didn’t seem to love Indy. A ton of the residents showed up to the dinner and lunch and all were very happy. ED’s okay, old computerized system, very high volume, and Chisolm is totally awesome. Negatives: It’s in Indy

6.Denver – Really wanted to rank this one higher, but it seemed that they are going through a rebuilding period. Positives are it’s Denver, long history, great contacts, wonderful publications, storied Hx, great location. Negatives: Losing 4 faculty including 2 very high-ups, new PD, 4 year program with only 6 weeks of electives (needs to be addressed ), seemed that the residents got very very worked (but great training). ? economic problems w/DG via a friend that is there.

7.Wake – Absolutely loved Wake and realizing I should’ve put it up higher. Pros: it is a wonderful part of country, great ED, sees a good mix of patients, really happy residents, chair is awesome and well known (Hoekstra), starting to publish more. Negs: Pt volume, don’t seem too big or publish a lot, and now that I look at it I probably should’ve put it 5th or so… oh well.

8.Hennepin – Good program, I just didn’t click with the residents when I was there. Also, of their senior class, none were going to stay in Minneapolis to work, which seemed to be a little like they wanted to get out of there. Cool ED, w/a great county feel, involved attendings, and Biros is a person who can publish. Negs: Minn, it was like -155 when I was there.

9.Utah – I sincerely think that this will become one of the top programs in the country in the next 10 years, it just hasn’t gotten there yet. Needs to work out a few of the kinks still, and a little young for me. I think that for me personally, I needed a more established program that I could go to, but I will 100% be applying there for an attending position some day. Nothing bad except it’s youth.

10.Duke – PD is fantastic, really knows her stuff, and is very involved. It just seemed that the program needs a few years to get up and running better. It is a young program and as soon as it’s new ED is finished it will be outstanding. When interviewing I got a few neg vibes from residents, as well as several other people on the trail stating that it still needed to get the kinks worked out.

11.Cincinnati – Amazing program (obviously) and was my #1 until it was Vetoed by my Fiance. Has everything from flight to inner city to high volume to the only level 1 in 80 miles. Two endowed chairs, very very well known historical program with contacts everywhere. Fly for the second year, run the ED in the fourth, great peds as well as adult volumes, and a PD that seemed to be a strong resident advocate. Residents all seemed very very comfortable, and they all came out for the interview dinner (and smiled). Sometimes gets a bad rap for being bad, I just thought it was overall bad as*!!! Got vetoed due to my Fiance having much experience in the Cincinnati area and not wanting to go back (bummer).