Your final 2006 Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allow me to introduce the "Official Rank Order List" Thread for the Emergency Medicine List on SDN.net. Please refrain from posting until the deadline...please! I'll bump up the thread to make sure it stays near the top for all to see. The first person to post their ROL after the official deadline gets a free round of drinks on me at the next ACEP conference I attend :)

Remember, the deadline is based on a specific time, and in a specific time zone! Early posters will be punished severely and extradicted to Texas to face the wrath of our governor's criminal justice system. Remember, we lead the world in executions!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Haha... another 32 hours or so...

1 Metrohealth Med Ctr-OH
2 Ohio State Univ Med Ctr-OH
3 U TX SW Med Sch-Dallas
4 LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA
5 St Vincent Mercy Med/SVC-OH
6 Orlando Reg Healthcare-FL
7 Vanderbilt Univ Med-TN
8 Christiana Care-DE
9 U Florida HSC-Jacksonville
10 U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
11 Summa Health/NEOUCOM-OH
12 Wright State Univ SOM-OH
13 Akron Gen Med/NEOUCOM-OH
14 Univ Maryland Med Ctr
15 WV Univ Hosp-Morgantown

Members don't see this ad :)
So my last 3. 7,8,9... Orlando, Henry Ford, Res...

#1 USF - Tampa
#2 Univ of MD
#3 Univ of FL - JAX
#4 Allegheny General Hospital (Pitt)
#5 York Hospital
#6 Akron General
#7 St. Vincent's Hospital
#8 Geisinger

Is there some way I can modify this time posting (as moderator) to give me a free beer at the next ACEP conference?

Q

For God's sake, can no one follow instructions? Mike, I have already dispatched a couple of buddies in the US Marshal Service and they will be in Cleveland by 9PM. Plan to have a real Texas belting when you get here in shackles.....we swing the belt with the "belt buckle" on it! :D

For the rest of you, kindly pick an SSRI to help you refrain from "coming" to this darn thread prematurely!!! :laugh:

At least I didn't have to bump it up. Anyone else changed their ROL more than 3 times today like me? I bet none of you called an attending at home to get a last minute question answered.....I did!! I called a doc from Case and we spent like 20 minutes shooting the ****. He was super cool and honestly..I should have called him weeks ago.

Hey Mike, check your PM.

Corpsman I think that military background has you setting too many rules.. I look at the bright side.. +pad+ The top 5 will be posted tomorrow at 8:01 Central time..

To continue the current resident trend and help keep your thread near the top:
1) UAB
2) Vandy
3) Carolinas
4) UNC
5) Virginia
6) Emory
7) Wake
8) Orlando

Now I'm confused.......so is this still going to be the official ROL of the year even though the whole first page is going to be littered with lists from years past and people's 7,8,9 etc....?

I don't think we should even start a thread about it until the time comes to be able to post them.

People......like myself, can't restrain from posting.

now what?

12R34Y said:
Now I'm confused.......so is this still going to be the official ROL of the year even though the whole first page is going to be littered with lists from years past and people's 7,8,9 etc....?

I don't think we should even start a thread about it until the time comes to be able to post them.

People......like myself, can't restrain from posting.

now what?

Yep.. I think this thread "came" prematurely..

Members don't see this ad :)
nah i actually got to click on it before he deleted it.. it was a link..

BKN.. very true stuff in there.. I fwded it to my wife..

EctopicFetus said:
nah i actually got to click on it before he deleted it.. it was a link..

BKN.. very true stuff in there.. I fwded it to my wife..
DOH. Now that's just a cruel post Ectopic. To make up for your cruelty you should PM me the link :) Don't worry I won't tell BKN.

and you guys all have thick skin. :D

nah my wife teaches and she has shared similar stories with me.. Not critical.. i think it is something that should be told

colforbinMD said:
DOH. Now that's just a cruel post Ectopic. To make up for your cruelty you should PM me the link :) Don't worry I won't tell BKN.
DOH! Somehow I missed the link first time I read your post. I do humbly beg your forgiveness.

Corpsman, personally I would have respected your rules as laid out but since everyone else is padding up I thought I would join the fun and let you start a third thread tomorrow.
By the way, is scrolling really that taxing that we needed a 2nd (and now third) thread? :idea:

BKN said:
Your earlier post reminded me of something seen on the NY times page today. I dropped it because it might have seemed critical. But what the hey, I thought it was funny.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/education/21professors.html?incamp=article_popular_1

I agree with EF, BKN. This is actually a disturbing trend in education and, in my opinion, the biggest reason to NEVER approve patients emailing physicians (as has been proposed many times in various venues in the past 1-2 years)

Can you imagine the charlie foxtrot that would be?

jd

I think often times students dont realize that they should act professionally. I have seen this during my interviews. Both with PDs cursing and students literally making themselves "feel at home". I look at it like this. I should behave professionally, I often wondered when faculty dropped the F bomb what sort of response they expected from me? I NEVER cursed during my interviews and always acted professionally.

While it is off the topic in the link I think it still relates because students drop emails to profs that are very casual kind of like the emails you might send to your college friends. This is a professional environment and this should be respected IMO. Rant over..

BKN said:
Your earlier post reminded me of something seen on the NY times page today. I dropped it because it might have seemed critical. But what the hey, I thought it was funny.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/education/21professors.html?incamp=article_popular_1

To me an anonymous web forum is meant to be a place to allow the subconscious and the alter ego to express themselves. Its a place to unwind. I don't see a comparison when the students in the article were obviously known to their profs. The only reason anyone on this forum would truly know one another is if their personal information had been shared in some sort of confidential manner. Free speech is indeed just that, so it doesn't offend me if you want to be critical. I am used to you driving a truck through the paths I light for you! :)

corpsmanUP said:
Allow me to introduce the "Official Rank Order List" Thread for the Emergency Medicine List on SDN.net. Please refrain from posting until the deadline...please! I'll bump up the thread to make sure it stays near the top for all to see. The first person to post their ROL after the official deadline gets a free round of drinks on me at the next ACEP conference I attend :)

Remember, the deadline is based on a specific time, and in a specific time zone! Early posters will be punished severely and extradicted to Texas to face the wrath of our governor's criminal justice system. Remember, we lead the world in executions!! :D

My Rank list....Sorry CorpsmanUP....If I dont post it, I'll keep changing it..hehe..Plus I'm going to sleep...the next time I see a computer, it'll be past the deadline!

1. USC
2. UCLA/Oliveview
3. Highland
4. UCSF Fresno....(Yosemite.....need I say more!)
5. UC Davis (Sierras, Wine country, San Francisco....)
6. UNM
7. St. Luke-Roosevelt (NY)
8. U of Michigan.........SNOW..SNOW..Huntin....
9. Cook (Ala Steven Segal.."I'm just a COOK"
10. Lincoln Med (NY)
11. Boston Med
12. Wash U in St. L

I'll keep my fingers crossed...Goood luck everyone

1) Univ of Chicago
2) Northwestern
3) NYU Bellevue
4) Mass General/Brigham
5) Cook County
6) Johns Hopkins
7) UCLA
8) Stanford
9) U Penn
10) BU
11) Yale

corpsmanUP said:
To me an anonymous web forum is meant to be a place to allow the subconscious and the alter ego to express themselves. Its a place to unwind. I don't see a comparison when the students in the article were obviously known to their profs. The only reason anyone on this forum would truly know one another is if their personal information had been shared in some sort of confidential manner. Free speech is indeed just that, so it doesn't offend me if you want to be critical. I am used to you driving a truck through the paths I light for you! :)

I totally agree.. This forum is not grammar or spelling central though I often do try. The area where I think some people cross the proverbial line is when they disrespect the views of the attendings on here. I forgot the guys name but he basically was saying BKN had no idea what he was talking about, then someone pointed out he was a PD and the guy said something to the effect of "So, it doesnt mean he knows more than I do". :confused: Why even post on here when you know all the answers?

That was ALSO totally not related to the article..

I showed it to my wife and she was like "Yeah, this is exactly what happens to me." Students say/do the funniest things.

EctopicFetus said:
I totally agree.. This forum is not grammar or spelling central though I often do try. The area where I think some people cross the proverbial line is when they disrespect the views of the attendings on here. I forgot the guys name but he basically was saying BKN had no idea what he was talking about, then someone pointed out he was a PD and the guy said something to the effect of "So, it doesnt mean he knows more than I do". :confused: Why even post on here when you know all the answers?

That was ALSO totally not related to the article..

I showed it to my wife and she was like "Yeah, this is exactly what happens to me." Students say/do the funniest things.

I actually wasn't referring to the student vs prof aspect. When I realized that was what was going to stand out, I deleted the link. I didn't mind "that guy", mainly because I was even more sure of myself and much more obnoxious at that age. I'm embarrassed at some of the things I said and did in college and med school.

I originally was thinking about the self-absorbtion part of the article. Ever since I started reading these fora, I've been impressed with how much the members, particularly those who are in the match this year are into the minutiae. ROLs, thank you letters, phone calls, "You're number 1 letters", second visits, "pimp my rank list" and so on. OC (and I :love: OC) even by my standards.

Anyway, the lists are final now, I guess. Over on the psych thread, the old guys say that the fora are going to quiet down and that we won't hear from a lot of you, once you've matched. I think that would be a shame, and not just because we're chasing the general residency issues forum.

So I propose that now that the frenzy is over, we talk medicine or whatever. I'll need the break, I have to prepare for an upcoming RRC visit, which means I'll be writing 125 pages of administrative stuff, beating on my residents, pleading with the faculty to do their part, etc.

Anyway, somebody propose topics and I'll be there.

1. maine med
2. hennepin
3. truman
4. regions
5. resurrection
6. henry ford

loved'em all, but it's about the people, maine has that won hands down. good luck to everyone. i'm excited to read your posts.

Thanks for the clarification. I think a fair number of people start on here as M3/M4s and stay on because of interesting/random stuff.

I think the M4s are so into the minutiae because we are left so helpless in the process. We really have little say into where we will be living/training for the next 3-4 years. I think it is because of that we look at the things we can control... Thank yous to help our cause etc. I think the whole "pimp my rank list" is silly.. At my interviews I asked where their residents left, talked to the residents and tried to decide if I would be happy there. I think going above and beyond that with 2nd looks, daily emails to PDs etc is a waste of time.. I didnt do it but good luck to those who did.

EctopicFetus said:
Thanks for the clarification. I think a fair number of people start on here as M3/M4s and stay on because of interesting/random stuff.

I think the M4s are so into the minutiae because we are left so helpless in the process. We really have little say into where we will be living/training for the next 3-4 years. I think it is because of that we look at the things we can control... Thank yous to help our cause etc. I think the whole "pimp my rank list" is silly.. At my interviews I asked where their residents left, talked to the residents and tried to decide if I would be happy there. I think going above and beyond that with 2nd looks, daily emails to PDs etc is a waste of time.. I didnt do it but good luck to those who did.

I really have less say where I end up because I have the "randomness" of the match and the "veto" power of the wife. She literally used that power to trump several of my favorites to the bottom half of the list, but like Ectopic, we sort of have a special situation that requires such. I'm the dreamer while she is the realist. Oh well, I still have a nice list, and I still have a wife...and thats the most important part!

Yo Waterski...how's Chicago?

corpsmanUP said:
I really have less say where I end up because I have the "randomness" of the match and the "veto" power of the wife. She literally used that power to trump several of my favorites to the bottom half of the list, but like Ectopic, we sort of have a special situation that requires such. I'm the dreamer while she is the realist. Oh well, I still have a nice list, and I still have a wife...and thats the most important part!

Ditto.. :thumbup: My list is easier the top portion was dictated by my wife because of my situation.. I think when you get married you learn the art of compromise. Im interested in seeing the ROLs of everyone tonite!

BKN,

I fully agree with your commentary on the "obsessive-complusive" forum posts, but on the other hand; there is no question that the match process, as currently constructed, can create pathology where none existed previously. I mean take the average fourth-year medical student. He/she managed to excel academically (and in life) to the level where they were admitted to medical school. They have just gone through two years of unbelievable (in scope and bredth) classroom training followed by two years of clinical training where feedback was somewhat quick and generally correlated directly to effort. Basically these are people who are constantly told that they have the drive, acumen, and raw talent to "do anything they want". Most are facile at the interactions needed to suceed, and are above average communicators (especially those drawn to EM).

Then, we throw them into a process where none of the "normal rules" seem to apply, and to add fuel to this fire, the stakes are as high as they have ever been (a mix of "what are you going to do with your life" and "the four years of hard work you've just completed are now on the line"). So, instead of the usual manner of seeking employment - interview, interact, give and recieve fairly open communication, then decide if you want to enter negotiations, we have this secretive method that is an unknown black box surrounded by rumor and inuendo. Suddenly people used to having a great deal of control over their lives are faced with a complete abscence of control. And the normal routes of communication are closed off by a set of rules, often misapplied and usually misunderstood. I know that if I had been extended a binding offer by almost any program in the days preceeding the ROL due date, I'd have signed in a heartbeat, just to "know". I know that if I could have had open and less contrived conversations with program leadership and residents, I would have been a great deal more comfortable. Heck, if I just were to have been given a choice amongst three or four programs that would agree to accept me if I wanted to attend, I'd have been more relaxed. And while this may have been the case (I'd like to think I was "ranked to match" at all of my top choices) I'll never know.

Now don't take this to mean that I am unhappy with the way things turned out, I'm not. But, when I cruise over to the pre-allo forum and look at how they view medical school admissions as "random and chaotic", I have to laugh. At least when applying to medical school, if accepted by multiple locations, you have open choice.

I know about the problems with the "old" system, and I do acknowledge the match is fair and functional. And I have no better system to propose. That said, I have never in my life been as stressed out as I was during the match. And most coping mechanisms I had built up until that point were obliterated by the rules of the match (i.e., I couldn't reasonably call PDs and openly negotiate) or by the mystery of the process (e.g., explaining medical school admissions to my family and friends four years prior had been enough, I knew there was no possible way to explain the Match). So in the end, I discovered SDN and obsessed needlessly in a futile attempt to gain some semblence of control.

In short, relax everyone, and have a beer. The second hand will continue its steady clockwise march around the watch face no matter what you do. You can't control what will happen next anymore than you can stop time...

- H

FoughtFyr said:
BKN,

I fully agree with your commentary on the "obsessive-complusive" forum posts, but on the other hand; there is no question that the match process, as currently constructed, can create pathology where none existed previously. I mean take the average fourth-year medical student. He/she managed to excel academically (and in life) to the level where they were admitted to medical school. They have just gone through two years of unbelievable (in scope and bredth) classroom training followed by two years of clinical training where feedback was somewhat quick and generally correlated directly to effort. Basically these are people who are constantly told that they have the drive, acumen, and raw talent to "do anything they want". Most are facile at the interactions needed to suceed, and are above average communicators (especially those drawn to EM).

Then, we throw them into a process where none of the "normal rules" seem to apply, and to add fuel to this fire, the stakes are as high as they have ever been (a mix of "what are you going to do with your life" and "the four years of hard work you've just completed are now on the line"). So, instead of the usual manner of seeking employment - interview, interact, give and recieve fairly open communication, then decide if you want to enter negotiations, we have this secretive method that is an unknown black box surrounded by rumor and inuendo. Suddenly people used to having a great deal of control over their lives are faced with a complete abscence of control. And the normal routes of communication are closed off by a set of rules, often misapplied and usually misunderstood. I know that if I had been extended a binding offer by almost any program in the days preceeding the ROL due date, I'd have signed in a heartbeat, just to "know". I know that if I could have had open and less contrived conversations with program leadership and residents, I would have been a great deal more comfortable. Heck, if I just were to have been given a choice amongst three or four programs that would agree to accept me if I wanted to attend, I'd have been more relaxed. And while this may have been the case (I'd like to think I was "ranked to match" at all of my top choices) I'll never know.

Now don't take this to mean that I am unhappy with the way things turned out, I'm not. But, when I cruise over to the pre-allo forum and look at how they view medical school admissions as "random and chaotic", I have to laugh. At least when applying to medical school, if accepted by multiple locations, you have open choice.

I know about the problems with the "old" system, and I do acknowledge the match is fair and functional. And I have no better system to propose. That said, I have never in my life been as stressed out as I was during the match. And most coping mechanisms I had built up until that point were obliterated by the rules of the match (i.e., I couldn't reasonably call PDs and openly negotiate) or by the mystery of the process (e.g., explaining medical school admissions to my family and friends four years prior had been enough, I knew there was no possible way to explain the Match). So in the end, I discovered SDN and obsessed needlessly in a futile attempt to gain some semblence of control.

In short, relax everyone, and have a beer. The second hand will continue its steady clockwise march around the watch face no matter what you do. You can't control what will happen next anymore than you can stop time...

- H

But I'm Jack Bauer, I can stop time if I really want to.

JackBauERfan said:
But I'm Jack Bauer, I can stop time if I really want to.

Anybody ever experienced blepharospasm - when your eyelid starts wigging out in a rythmic twitch; the etiology of which ranges from stress, lack of sleep, and caffeine to Tourette's syndrome and tardive dyskinesia?

Thank you NRMP. Thank you for the added recession to my hairline and the uncontrollable fckin twitch of my left eyelid.

Yeah I get that sometimes.

FoughtFyr said:

- H
Thats my plan for tonite!! WOO HOO!!

Sorry I keep changing my bottom picks so I am posting them so that shame will befall me should I be tempted to change them again. That, and I have no possiblity of catching a nap this afternoon. See Do residents wear.... post.
#1-5 Locked in - Hope me wife likes where we match - please don't break my arm honey if its not where you wanted - I love you! ;)
#6 Cook County EM
#7 Orlando EM
#8 Jacksonville EM - late interview forgot to post earlier
#9 Allegheny IM/EM
#10 Cook County rotating internship
#11 - 13 Chicago transitional years

Best Wishes to everyone

Man, a beer sounds nice - but I'm on call - darnnitt!

The Mish

Hey all,
I haven't chimed in much but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's posts regarding the matching process. Special thanks to Corpsman and Ectopic for carrying the load in putting out quality and insightful posts.

1. Indiana--
Not necessary to review the strengths b/c so many people ride IU's rooster. However, their clinical site's spectrum of diversity, ultra-supportive staff, strong and determined (prior-Army, Hoooah) leadership, and sweet sweet chopper make this program a list topper for many of the class of 2006

2. University of Illinois-Chicago
Amazing camaraderie, Great program leadership, Fun city, and the X factor-- "felt like home" on the interview trail.

3. University of South Florida
(5000 posts can't be wrong--Thanks Quinn)

4. Einstein- philadelphia
Amazing program, PD is the most dynamic educator/speaker I have met in the EM community, great trauma experience. I just couldn't justify the extra year at my age (>30)

5. Georgetown
Proven leadership, great ingredients, just unproven product

6. Univ. of Illinois-Peoria
Great model, great faculty, amazing camaraderie, ++ aeromedical experience. Unfortunately suffers from 2 limitations that probably shouldn't affect my decision as much as it did...1) location 2) prestige

7. Penn State
Good model, still young, lots of chocolate

8. Univ. of Florida-Gainesville
Lots of sun, ? patient volume

9. Jacobi
Really wanted to go back to NYC, just didn't feel their model for resident education was my ideal

10. Geisinger
Great feel, amazing faculty support, good aeromedical experience. This program more than any other suffers from "location-itis". Had I been married w/ kids this could have easily topped my list. I just don't think I'll find my soul-mate at the Bloomsburg-U bars.

Sincerely, good luck to you all. It has been a fun ride and I look forward to crossing paths with you all out in the community!

:p Corpsman, don't yell at me for posting early...I'm just ready to be done with it all

1. Grand Rapids :love:
2. Carolinas Medical Center
3. Wake Forest
4. Advocate Christ
5. Kalamazoo
6. Beaumont
7. Regions
8. UPitt
9. Vandy
10. OSU
11. Peoria
12. Indiana
13. Hennepin
14. Resurrection
15. MCW

I figured that I would rank all the programs I interviewed at b/c it didn't cost extra and I'd rather be anywhere than scramble. :laugh:

Good Luck with the match everyone... :luck:

I'm going to bed. Here's mine:

1. Drexel
2. Buffalo
3. ECU/Pitt County
4. Geisinger
5. St. Luke's (Bethlehem, PA)
6. Morristown (NJ)
7. AGH
8. York
9. Syracuse
10. Synergy Medical Alliance
11. PSU
12. Maimonides

God speed to all...it's been real

1. Pitt
2. Yale
3. Brown
4. Sinai
5. Jacobi
6. NYU
7. BIDMC
8. MGH

Good-luck all...Three weeks left

1. ohsu
2. carolinas
3. unc chapel hill
4. brown
5. hennepin
6. BW/MGH
7. univ maryland
8. ucdavis
9. baystate

good luck to everyone!!!!! :luck:

gonna go ahead and post, guess no beers from corps

1-University of Illinois at Chicago IM/EM
2-Long Island Jewish IM/EM
3-East Carolina University IM/EM
4-University of Alabama-Birmingham
5-Lincoln Medical/Mental Health Center
6-Long Island Jewish
7-University of Louisville
8-East Carolina University
9-University of Kentucky
10-Louisiana State University-Baton Rouge
11-State University of NY-Stony Brook
12-Martin Luther King/Drew
13-Lousiana State University-Shreveport
14-Preliminary Med -UAB (didn't want unlucky 13!)

Crossing my fingers for the combined, but I'll be happy at any of those places!
and Good luck to all!

Post call and too tired to wait so here goes....

#1 Texas Tech El Paso - call us crazy but the hubby and I actually like West Texas. Plus it's my alma mater so I know it's great training.
#2 UTSW
#3 TX A&M Scott and White ( We don't wanna stay in Texas or anything :D )
#4 Cook County PGY-2 spot for 2006 (I'm already an intern)
#5 Georgetown
#6 Cook County PGY2 for 2007
#7 University of Maryland
#8 Wash U
#9 Christiana

Anyone that matches in Houston let me know. I'm hoping to put my house on the market the day after match! Good luck to everyone and try not to be too anxious. In the end, you'll train somewhere next year and it will all work out.

OK here's mine, I am so glad this is over even if I have to scramble to Puerto Rico.
1. Maricopa :thumbup:
2. Arizona
3. Utah
4. Texas A&M
5. Iowa
6. El Paso
7. UT SW
8. Loma Linda
9. York
10. UT Houston

Now.... :sleep: