Your most unusual/gutsy AMCAS activity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HairyCow

Sweeping the Nation
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Comic Strip Cartoonist"

I was debating whether or not to add this as one of my activities, but since art has always had a role in my life (I almost went to college for architecture), I decided it was an aspect of me I wanted to bring out.

Too "out there?" I hope not. I'm not syndicated or anything, but I've been published in student newsletters, so I figured there's some merit behind it.

I was going to call myself a "comic strip artist," but I didn't want anyone mistakening me for a funny stripper, which I may or may not be.

Any comments on this or other unusual activities?

Members don't see this ad.

HairyCow said:
"Comic Strip Cartoonist"

I was debating whether or not to add this as one of my activities, but since art has always had a role in my life (I almost went to college for architecture), I decided it was an aspect of me I wanted to bring out.

Too "out there?" I hope not. I'm not syndicated or anything, but I've been published in student newsletters, so I figured there's some merit behind it.

I was going to call myself a "comic strip artist," but I didn't want anyone mistakening me for a funny stripper, which I may or may not be.

I'd say go for it. It's something unique that will give the adcom an idea of you as a person, not just a bunch of numbers. Plus it could be a cool talking point in your interviews.

My advisor recommended leaving off my summer stint in "Bangin' Brazilian Babes III - Rio de Pleasuro!", but I felt it was a strong part of what made me unique. I ended up tying it into my PS. I'm expecting secondaries any day now.

Members don't see this ad :)
HairyCow said:
"Comic Strip Cartoonist"
Run with it. The one truism I've seen from hanging around premeds at college, in hospitals, at nonprofs and on SDN, is that premeds are largely pack animals.

Comic Strip Cartoonist is something different. It shows an adcom that you're not your died in the wool premed that goes through the motions and has very little life outside of the premed fishbowl. It'll make you stick in their mind.

Rafa said:
My advisor recommended leaving off my summer stint in "Bangin' Brazilian Babes III - Rio de Pleasuro!", but I felt it was a strong part of what made me unique. I ended up tying it into my PS. I'm expecting secondaries any day now.

Oh, oh my, ohhhh, oh my god, you're him, you're, you're him aren't you? Ummm, wow, god, I've practiced this speech a thousand times, and, and now I'm speechless. You are my hero man. I freakin' worship you. BBB is my all time favorite. All I got to say is bang up job man. Bang. Up. Job.

HAHA reps for you.

Wait, there are no reps on this forum...

quanct said:
Oh, oh my, ohhhh, oh my god, you're him, you're, you're him aren't you? Ummm, wow, god, I've practiced this speech a thousand times, and, and now I'm speechless. You are my hero man. I freakin' worship you. BBB is my all time favorite. All I got to say is bang up job man. Bang. Up. Job.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the support. That's why I love SDN :laugh: .

Rafa, having a part Bangin' Brazilian Babes III definitely shows that you have stamina and drive, and you work well with others. Loved the acting, too!

I lsited singing in a riot grrl punk band, and being a stay-at-home mom. so comic strip artists sounds fine to me. I also listed a bunch of political activities even though everyone around here says not to bring up politics. you gotta sell what you got. I'm not capable of being not offensive to at least half the population at all times.... :thumbup:

I put that I play bass in a rock band. I don't really think it's that unique, but it's interesting I think.

I've been juggling for 10 years, so i put that down.....why the heck not?

I put down my hobby in dog showing and breeding. :)

My other non-medical or school thing was playing the piano. I've playing the piano for almost 22 years.

rofl at Rafa's comments.

being serious, my most unusual and gutsy AMCAS activity would be a tie between breakdancing (especially as a community service thing) and autocross (amateur auto racing).

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not put anything very out-there in my EC list, kinda wishing I added some of my hobbies like Guitar and Riding Harley's, so they would see that I actually do unrelated fun stuff too. But I suppose that is some of the stuff I can talk about during an interview.

quanct said:
Where is this from? i thought i heard this on family guy before?

I listed competitive ballroom dancing and performing lindy hop... any other ballroom junkies or lindy hoppers out there?

I put that during the fall I usually spend 4 or 5 hours a week mountain biking and that in the summer that number goes up to perhaps 20 hours a week.

Then, after I submitted, I got worried that they'd think that was too much time for such frivolous pursuit.

I could have spent that time in an African AIDS clinic, curing first-world diseases, or volunteering as a candystriper.

But then again, it's so damn fun.

sicem07 said:

I put fire juggling on there. It could make for some fun, easy conversation during interviews.

CopperStripes said:
I put fire juggling on there. It could make for some fun, easy conversation during interviews.
Just make sure you're not lying. You never know when your interviewer's going to light something on fire and throw it at you.

Happened to me twice, and I didn't have fire juggling on my AMCAS.

HairyCow said:
"Comic Strip Cartoonist"

Go for it! I'll be adding "licensed skydiver" to mine (in 3 states, hopefully 4 by the time I apply). :smuggrin:

sicem07 said:

That's a no-brainer. I had been unicycling and juggling for only three years, and I added it. Can you do any big tricks? Can you put up seven? I'm out of practice, but if you come to Drexel, we can do some club passing.

Depakote said:
Just make sure you're not lying. You never know when your interviewer's going to light something on fire and throw it at you.

Happened to me twice, and I didn't have fire juggling on my AMCAS.

That's pretty funny. Wasn't there a story on here a couple weeks ago about someone who put that they knew Swahili on their ap (knowing a few words and phrases). And the interviewer was from Kenya or something, and proceeded to do the entire interview in Swahilli. Ouch.

^ In a case like that, it's a thousand times better to interrupt the interviewer as soon as s/he starts talking in the language, apologize, and ask to conduct the interviewer in English, instead of attempting to continue a second longer in a language you don't understand. :laugh:

Anyone speed cubing?

My 1.5 minute time for a 3x3 rubiks cube is pathetic compared to world records but it's faster than the general population...

MahSpoon said:
Anyone speed cubing?

My 1.5 minute time for a 3x3 rubiks cube is pathetic compared to world records but it's faster than the general population...

I set the world record for speed-slow-cubing at 4 minutes. Then I retired for fear of getting too fast.

I do a killer peanutbutter-jelly-time. That has to be worth something.

MahSpoon said:
Anyone speed cubing?

yes! i have record of 1 min 19 sec. i should've listed that!

DPS319 said:
I do a killer peanutbutter-jelly-time. That has to be worth something.

lol, i actually had that song as my cell phone ringer for a while.

And speed cubing... I'm at about 2 min, i don't know how the people can get it done in less than 20 sec.

Depakote said:
I've seen it done. I have no idea how...

You gotta apply the algorithms and combos, man. Lube the cube. And practice in your car. It also helps if you quit school for a couple years, tuck yourself away in cave, and cube yourself silly until you reach Rubik's Nirvana.

Become one with the cube

HairyCow said:

YES. This almost made me lol in Starbucks, which we all know is a cardinal sin.

For ECs, put watching House, Scrubs, ER, and Grey's Anatomy.

i talked about getting a perverse pleasure from beaching grocery carts on the grass island rather than parking them in the stall which is right next to my car.

SitraAchra said:
i talked about getting a perverse pleasure from beaching grocery carts on the grass island rather than parking them in the stall which is right next to my car.
Lots of fun! It's even better when you just park the front two wheels over the curb of said island so that the body of the shopping cart blocks the parking space. Ah, simple pleasures...

Svidrillion said:
I put that during the fall I usually spend 4 or 5 hours a week mountain biking and that in the summer that number goes up to perhaps 20 hours a week.

Then, after I submitted, I got worried that they'd think that was too much time for such frivolous pursuit.

I could have spent that time in an African AIDS clinic, curing first-world diseases, or volunteering as a candystriper.

But then again, it's so damn fun.

This was probably a good thing to put down. Who knows, you may get a biking enthusiast as an interviewer! On my AMCAS I put down that I completed an Ironman and my student interviewer at MCW and I just talked about biking and running for almost the entire time. At one point he even laughed and remarked about how similar we were. Once I learned why he was laughing I felt much better.

One suggestion, I noticed that you aren't applying to MCW. The Southern Kettles have some great mountain biking and aren't too far away. Or are you more happy with real mountains and downhill mountain biking?