Your opinion of the best cities for young, single doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The commute can be super bad depending on where you’re at, but it’s also feasible to bike to work if you’re actually living in the city. A lot of young people live in Capitol Hill, which is pretty close to UW. Shoreline is also really nice and not too far. The area surrounding UW is pretty nice too, but definitely expensive.

For me, with attending pay, would definitely live in or around Seattle. Worth the cost imo. Washington, as a state, takes the cake for beauty.

View attachment 335428View attachment 335429View attachment 335430View attachment 335431View attachment 335432View attachment 335433
Edit: all pics I’ve taken or pics including me.
Wow, go with what he said^

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
i grew up in cleveland and in terms of hospitals you have a great selection. the cost of living is relatively low, it’s easy to get around, and there’s lots of nice suburbs (the inner ring ones close to the city are walkable and filled with lots of young professionals since people with families tend to move a little farther out!) lake erie is awesome in the summer too! my two big “issues” are the lack of public transit and the winters can start too early and end too late lol

Hi all! Briefly there were some comments I made earlier in this thread that reinforced unproductive gender stereotypes. All my remaining posts (including when quoted) are unrelated so only those who saw the original post know what I am talking about and to them, I wanted to offer a sincere apology and admit what I wrote was wrong. I come on here to do the same thing we all do, which is to learn and give advice to others about the medical field and my comment detracted from that. Initially when I was made aware my comments were inappropriate I was embarassed/defensive, but I guess the plus side of this is that I have been made aware that how I perceive certain aspects of culture is shallow and I will work to challenge my own biases/perspectives to grow into a more wholesome person. /endrant

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Briefly there were some comments I made earlier in this thread that reinforced unproductive gender stereotypes. All remaining posts/quotes are unrelated so only those who saw the original post know what I am talking about and to them, I wanted to offer a sincere apology and admit what I wrote was wrong. I come on here to do the same thing we all do, which is to learn and give advice to others about the medical field and my comment detracted from that. Initially when I was made aware my comments were inappropriate I was embarassed/defensive, but I guess the plus side of this is that I have been made aware that how I perceive certain aspects of culture is shallow and I will work to challenge my own biases/perspectives to grow into a more wholesome person. /endrant
Though I don't know what specifically you said, I do appreciate the thought. But I'm thinking maybe no one is as worried/disturbed about it as you are in this thread. Why should anyone really care deeply about the biases (whether conscious or unconscious) of a random person on sdn right?

We're all here just in this thread primarily to casually trash-talk other cities and support our own biased experiences, all in good spirit of course.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah...I just don't like getting in trouble and am kind of sensitive sometimes.
But that's one of the benefits of sdn I think! Just say your mind. If you do get called out, well you get called out and that's that. Either defend your position or change your mind when presented with an objectively better position/argument. But the anonymity makes the barrier to speaking your mind lower for everyone, which leads to better discussions. No one really needs to put a facade. At least, it's much better than the virtue signaling echo chamber of twitter. But still, more important is to be congruent with your conscience, which I think is what you did.

Kinda off topic though, so let's go back to bashing NYC

Reactions: 1 user
Though I don't know what specifically you said, I do appreciate the thought. But I'm thinking maybe no one is as worried/disturbed about it as you are in this thread. Why should anyone really care deeply about the biases (whether conscious or unconscious) of a random person on sdn right?

We're all here just in this thread primarily to casually trash-talk other cities and support our own biased experiences, all in good spirit of course.
Yeah, idk just felt bad I guess. Whatever, moving on..

I just know you're not supposed to pass to illinois in St. Louis, but what about the area near WashU?

Been in and around STL most of my life, most of the WashU campus area is pretty nice from what I remember, one of the nicer areas of St. Louis. The med school is right by Forest Park (dope) and all the downtown stuff, and its situated between more upscale neighborhoods to the north and west as well as lower end stuff on the south. It's waaay less shady than SLU haha.

Two words: Global Warming.
(Plus seriously--don't you think that Gulf Coast and Florida hurricanes, Texas heat, and California drought wildfires will kill you just as dead...)
I've lived in TX... you can deal with it. Everything is on A/C

CA has drought, and earthquakes....that's more of a quality of life thing!

There’s definitely not enough love for the smaller cities in the southeast here.

Personal favorite? Savannah, GA. I used to go there pretty regularly on vacation. All the history you could want, all the ghost tours you could want (something I enjoy), all the delicious, fattening Southern food you could want, and there’s an open container law that within a certain number of blocks of River Street you can just carry alcohol around. All the bars are open until 3 AM. Every time I’ve gone there on vacation has been a total blast, and I’ve met a ton of people from all over the country and other countries hanging out in the bars at night. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings to live there one day.

Also seconding whoever said Charlotte, NC. The Epicenter is a great place to hang out, party, and meet people. Did a few birthdays there when I lived in NC. My favorite champagne lounge closed, though. They had some good champagne cocktails...

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned Horse Cave, Kentucky yet.

• Hmm
  • Haha
Going to echo everyone saying Pittsburgh. Clean, medium size city that is growing. Cheap, affordable housing, with plenty of trendy neighborhoods to live in. Because it was a city of immigrants, each neighborhood has a distinct cultural flair (but this is kind of going away with the influx of college aged / young professionals moving into the city). Decent night life (east carson street has one of the highest bars per block ratio in the country), major sports scene, and good city parks (also just a 15 minute drive out of the city for "real" nature). Many residents choose to stay on here as attendings, which I think is a testament to how nice the city is, because they're definitely not staying for UPMC.

Do you need a car to get around in St. Louis or Pittsburgh?

What are people's thoughts on New Orleans or Milwaukee?
It's doable, but your life is easier with one. I live a ~10 minute drive from the hospital, and my bus in the morning takes ~20 minutes to get in, ~30 minutes on the way home. Plenty of accessible buses, but its a pain planning your life around a bus schedule. No real subway system here, but the city is navigable enough to not need one.

I didn't read the whole thread so not sure if anyone mentioned some of these yet but when you go south, everything gets better. People are nicer, weather is nicer, food is better. Charleston, Raleigh, Nashville, Charlotte-- can't go wrong.

As a person of color I wonder how it’d be living in the south. Been to Tampa and Orlando before to visit and definitely saw more confederate flags than ever had before (lived on both coasts)

As a person of color I wonder how it’d be living in the south. Been to Tampa and Orlando before to visit and definitely saw more confederate flags than ever had before (lived on both coasts)
I’m a POC also and I’m from the south. Yeah, I mean I feel like confederate flags are always gonna be apart of it but for the most part the people are awesome. And there’s PLENTY of POCs here so you won’t be alone lol. In all reality, racism is everywhere. The south just doesn’t hide it 🤷🏽‍♀️

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to live in Pittsburgh. Fun as hell, but also I was in undergraduate.

My prospects now are DC, Seattle, Salt Lake City, San Diego, somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico, or on a boat.

I got to say, whoever said NYC is european is... off the mark. That place is as American metropolis as it gets. DC has a distinctly roman flair, which I quite like

• Care
The country gets more racist as you go north. I am a firm believer of that. People treat each other with respect in the south (for the most part, at least more than in the north). I wouldn’t let confederate flags worry you too much (although i am surprised how you said more confederate flags because that makes me think you see them all over, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them all over no matter where I’ve lived). I would bet most people flying one in the south would mean it more as what they would call “heritage”, not cause they hate black people. Should they? No, definitely not. But I can at least appreciate the difference between someone filled with hate and someone dumb who feels the need to express their “heritage” like that.

Now walk through a ritzy neighborhood in SE Connecticut or around Boston and you’ll see real hate. No thank you.

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
Going to echo everyone saying Pittsburgh. Clean, medium size city that is growing. Cheap, affordable housing, with plenty of trendy neighborhoods to live in. Because it was a city of immigrants, each neighborhood has a distinct cultural flair (but this is kind of going away with the influx of college aged / young professionals moving into the city). Decent night life (east carson street has one of the highest bars per block ratio in the country), major sports scene, and good city parks (also just a 15 minute drive out of the city for "real" nature). Many residents choose to stay on here as attendings, which I think is a testament to how nice the city is, because they're definitely not staying for UPMC.

It's doable, but your life is easier with one. I live a ~10 minute drive from the hospital, and my bus in the morning takes ~20 minutes to get in, ~30 minutes on the way home. Plenty of accessible buses, but its a pain planning your life around a bus schedule. No real subway system here, but the city is navigable enough to not need one.
It is a medium city.
Cold.
Small.
Not very diverse.
Terrible, terrible drivers. Poor city/road layout.
Excellent higher education and some good museums and parks.
Nearest thing even approaching real nature is Ohiopyle and it pales in comparison to many cities on this list.

• Dislike
The country gets more racist as you go north. I am a firm believer of that. People treat each other with respect in the south (for the most part, at least more than in the north). I wouldn’t let confederate flags worry you too much (although i am surprised how you said more confederate flags because that makes me think you see them all over, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them all over no matter where I’ve lived). I would bet most people flying one in the south would mean it more as what they would call “heritage”, not cause they hate black people. Should they? No, definitely not. But I can at least appreciate the difference between someone filled with hate and someone dumb who feels the need to express their “heritage” like that.

Now walk through a ritzy neighborhood in SE Connecticut or around Boston and you’ll see real hate. No thank you.
Yeah...

Hate is hate no matter how you spin it. Just because it doesn’t bother how you perceive it doesn’t mean other POCs will do the same.

Yeah...

Hate is hate no matter how you spin it. Just because it doesn’t bother how you perceive it doesn’t mean other POCs will do the same.
Yea that’s definitely not true. I wouldn’t fault anyone for being bothered by something they deem bothersome. But saying there is no difference between some hick who thinks their confederate flag decal looks cool on their truck and a klan member participating in a lynching is just plain stupid. Of course there is.

• Inappropriate

I’m going to have to strongly disagree with this, as an immigrant POC who grew up in the south (GA). Never have I experienced more racism, from both black and white people (I’m Hispanic) than in the south. Been jumped by black kids in middle school while they yelled Asian slurs at me. Been attacked by the white kid in middle school whose parents thought it was ok to send him to school with a KKK necklace. Never experienced anything like that from VA up north, but I also didn’t spend my early formative years further north.

Reactions: 7 users
Yea that’s definitely not true. I wouldn’t fault anyone for being bothered by something they deem bothersome. But saying there is no difference between some hick who thinks their confederate flag decal looks cool on their truck and a klan member participating in a lynching is just plain stupid. Of course there is.
I‘m sure you mean well Frank, but hear me out. In your example, replace the CSA flag with the flag of the Third Reich. Now what do you think?

Hoooo boy... Here's where the fun begins.

I think the truth is most of the these cities are unattainable for residents coming out of medical school, especially if they have a debt burden.

I’m going to have to strongly disagree with this, as an immigrant POC who grew up in the south (GA). Never have I experienced more racism, from both black and white people (I’m Hispanic) than in the south. Been jumped by black kids in middle school while they yelled Asian slurs at me. Been attacked by the white kid in middle school whose parents thought it was ok to send him to school with a KKK necklace. Never experienced anything like that from VA up north, but I also didn’t spend my early formative years further north.
Jesus. Definitely different experiences. In my inner city HS that was north of VA, during assemblies you could draw a straight line with white kids sitting on one side and black kids on the other. That’s just how it was. I felt a big difference the first time I moved south. Maybe it’s city by city you gotta consider.

I‘m sure you mean well Frank, but hear me out. In your example, replace the CSA flag with the flag of the Third Reich. Now what do you think?

Between someone who thinks their nazi flag looks cool on the back of their truck, and eduard pernkopf dissecting Jews? Huge difference. Would anyone actually say otherwise? I think the confusion might be looking at the two and thinking that drawing a difference is insinuating that the lesser is absolved. That’s not at all the case. Just because one is worse doesn’t mean the other isn’t also bad. But if anyone is trying to make the case that all hate is equivalent, they clearly have a very limited experience with hate. Once you see hate with your own eyes so egregious that it sets a clear scale, you get why saying all hate is equivalent is just silly. For the most part nowadays, you have to leave the us to see that kind of hate, so it is understandable if people don’t get it.

Jesus. Definitely different experiences. In my inner city HS that was north of VA, during assemblies you could draw a straight line with white kids sitting on one side and black kids on the other. That’s just how it was. I felt a big difference the first time I moved south. Maybe it’s city by city you gotta consider.
Yeah, I grew up going to super poor schools in the deep south.

I also don't like the south because it's simply way too hot for me. The humidity kills me. I remember being a kid and thinking that I didn't like being outdoors because it was so hot and sweaty and stuffy. Turns out, I just didn't like the weather down there.

Last edited:
Hottest non-Asian girls: Miami
Hottest Asian girls: NYC and LA
Best restaurants: NYC
Best nature: Colorado, Washington
Best beaches: Hawaii and Florida
Best real estate markets: Seattle, San Diego, NoVA
Best for young graduates with ton of debt but want to live in city and build wealth: Dallas, Atlanta, Austin

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Haha
Best beaches: Hawaii
Best for young graduates with ton of debt but want to live in city and build wealth: Dallas, Atlanta, Austin
Hawaii has the hottest Asian girls IMO. Lots of gorgeous Hapa girls with nice tans.

Best beaches: Hawaii

Um.... Why are Asian women categorically separated?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I think the truth is most of the these cities are unattainable for residents coming out of medical school, especially if they have a debt burden.
For residents, probably. For attendings, not really. I mean, it's probably wiser to live somewhere cheaper while you pay off loans, but you more than likely will have the money to live in any one of these cities even after making loan payments.

If I end up deciding to go the cheaper route at first, I'll probably hit up Burlington VT, Portland ME, or Boise ID. All of those are decent sized cities that are somewhat cheaper but still have a culture and things to do/eat/see.

For residents, probably. For attendings, not really. I mean, it's probably wiser to live somewhere cheaper while you pay off loans, but you more than likely will have the money to live in any one of these cities even after making loan payments.

If I end up deciding to go the cheaper route at first, I'll probably hit up Burlington VT, Portland ME, or Boise ID. All of those are decent sized cities that are somewhat cheaper but still have a culture and things to do/eat/see.
Portland is really nice. You would enjoy it greatly.

Two words: Global Warming.
(Plus seriously--don't you think that Gulf Coast and Florida hurricanes, Texas heat, and California drought wildfires will kill you just as dead...)

Yes, it’s damn hot in Texas, but it can get humid from what I hear and yes, @Goro is right: the A/C is practically a necessity for almost everyone living there. My boyfriend lived there partially in his teenage years & at one point, we considered moving there from California. While we’re actually still living in California, I can tell you that I grew up here & maybe the worst I’ve personally experienced was back in like Fall of 2007 or so, when there were evacuations & the sky was full of ash, glowing orange, and generally dark AF (in San Diego). Crazy, but we’re as used to it and thus prepared, as much as any harsh winter in other places around the U.S. may be prepared for. It’s all up to preferences and whatever you’ve been able to withstand, in terms of weather.

And I’m also speaking as someone whose also seem an active volcano erupt and watch lava flow through my grandparents’ town in the PI. So, Texas heat is nothing like being in Asian tropical weather, my friend. Mind you, my grandparents are in their 70s riding motorcycles and still doing their things. So like, we all live with whatever weather or environment we got. At the very least, in this thread, most of us can say we have more choices we’re able to make & change that circumstance.

Droughts are rough, yes. We might have one in San Diego this summer. And the biggest earthquake I’ve ever experienced was in San Francisco back in 2011/2012. It was like a 5.5 or 5.6... the whole building I was in on-campus was literally shaking. Stuff falling off shelves and I think I was just in awe, really.

You think you know what you’ll do when that happens because you grow up with EQ drills, but that day the map librarian and I just calmly sat where each of us were (she was at her tiny desk & I was holding my book on the couch). We just stared at each other and all-around for maybe 3-5 minutes until it was over? I think instinctively, we knew it wasn’t one of the big ones.

I used to live in Pittsburgh. Fun as hell, but also I was in undergraduate.

My prospects now are DC, Seattle, Salt Lake City, San Diego, somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico, or on a boat.

I got to say, whoever said NYC is european is... off the mark. That place is as American metropolis as it gets. DC has a distinctly roman flair, which I quite like

I had a professor who once lived on a boat during his time at Univ. Mich. Ann Arbor. He was very happy with it and he was doing it while studying Engineering. If that’s your jam, I suppose that’s a good option.

I’d tell you to move to SD because I’m from here and I can advocate for it, but depends on what you’re like as a person. If you like seasons, I’d suggest moving somewhere that has them, b/c some people who move here from colder places miss seasonal weather. In terms of COL, that depends, are you renting or buying a house? My bf & I wish we could both do grad school & then raise a family here, but the way the housing market is, I think we’re better off finding a fresh start elsewhere after we’re both done with our future programs.

All of the cities you listed seem like great places, but I think it’s interesting they all have varying ranges of weather. Drier states like Arizona and NM are cool, but if you’re down for desert life, why not? Huge contrast from what I think DC and Seattle might be like. So I’m not sure what you’re after.

I mean that's going to be the Socal girls. Avoid the NE. Sometimes you get a hot one but they are mean AF. Its ultra-rare to find both hot and nice (nice as in, actually enjoyable to be around).

That neurosurgery resident was an 11. But she was so damn mean.
brah, NOTHING bets watching alll the sloots running around in rompers and sun dresses during a Central Park Summer in NYC or Williamsburg. Hands down. But...I would agree with you that all the girls from the NE pretty much aren't great to be around...and let us not forget about the biggest dump of all...New Jersey

It's just a mere observation that you've listed some cities that are generally regarded as terrible (NYC, SF, and recently Portland) without much any elaboration.
As a single guy, NYC is a great place to be. As a single girl, SF is a better bet. This all comes down to basic gender ratios and competition- there are more young and single women than men in NYC while the reverse is true in SF. This largely has to do with the nature of both local economies (tech versus media/marketing/finance) as it relates to the sort of people coming there for work in their 20s. Portland is another city where you get a real edge as a highly educated man, particularly given the tendency of women to want to date up and many men being insecure in relationships with higher educated or paid women: the ratio of college-educated men to women is 100:156. The night life is also good, and as long as you stay away from bars frequented by the far right or left, it's fairly safe and fun.

So what is a good city for young, single doctors is going to both depend on your gender and your expectations, but all of the cities you bring up have strong merits for dating depending on who you are as an individual. Of course, if you've got the skills, every place is a perfect place to be single, but for everyone else, stacking odds tends to lead to better outcomes.

As someone who lived in the Woodlands, can confirm, A/C is a necessity. Easily avoided by moving far enough inland though!

I guess that’s why I added “desirable.” I’ve spent time in Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Jacksonville, and I guess I just don’t consider those places to be very “desirable.” But, once again, my own opinion and I really value mountains/greenery/skiing.
Austin is great, you take that back!

You don't need a car to get around in St. Louis. The train will take you most places and the bus system will take you pretty much everywhere the train won't. If you wanna do certain things in the county, a car is helpful. But all of the major neighborhoods are connected pretty well via public transportation. It isn't as good as Chicago or the Bay Area, but it's solid imo. Not like the South, where public transportation is basically non-existent aside from mediocre buslines.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one... It is better than the South, but that's not really saying a lot. lol The train is pretty limited in terms of where it can get you, and I always found the bus system cumbersome. Yes, it can technically get you where you want to go, but it's going to take a significant amount of time if you're going very far. I often found that anything within a mile or two, I was better off just walking time-wise. One thing I did forget to mention is that the city is becoming more bike friendly, so that's a good option. I guess it just depends on how big your circle is... if there's a significant amount of distance between school, home, research, etc, then I'd consider a car a necessity. If all of those things are within reasonable walking/biking distance, on the train route, or don't require switching buses more than once, then you'll you'd be ok without.

I want to validate your experiences having gone through analagous things on a lesser scale myself in elementary school and middle school especially when I got involved in contact sports, etc. I grew up in the north as a south asian American. I stayed where I was for all my higher education too though. Once I hit high school, this all pretty much disappeared. I personally think we are all inevitably partial to the identities we favor/disfavor (PoC included). I think as we get older, some people grow out of it whereas some people just learn to hide their contempt better.

Columbus, OH is a great city for young people. Very underrated city (very similar to Austin) with lots of character and cool neighborhoods. City is booming and people keep moving here. Tons of young people everywhere and a fitness-centered culture.

It is a medium city.
Cold.
Small.
Not very diverse.
Terrible, terrible drivers. Poor city/road layout.
Excellent higher education and some good museums and parks.
Nearest thing even approaching real nature is Ohiopyle and it pales in comparison to many cities on this list.
To each their own, just buy a jacket and learn to drive. Any city in the midwest is going to have the sam diversity problems.

• Okay...
I want to validate your experiences having gone through analagous things on a lesser scale myself in elementary school and middle school especially when I got involved in contact sports, etc. I grew up in the north as a south asian American. I stayed where I was for all my higher education too though. Once I hit high school, this all pretty much disappeared. I personally think we are all inevitably partial to the identities we favor/disfavor (PoC included). I think as we get older, some people grow out of it whereas some people just learn to hide their contempt better.
I’m sure there’s some inherent tribalism in all of us, and I still see it in some groups of classmates. The few Hispanic guys (other than me) all hang out together. The Asian guys and girls only hang out with each other for the most part. I hang out with an interesting mix of people. Having grown up in that intense racial environment, it really bothered me that you were essentially required to hang out with people who were the same skin color as you to stay somewhat safe, so I tend to avoid clumping racially which has led me to have a fairly diverse group of friends.

I’m sure there’s some inherent tribalism in all of us, and I still see it in some groups of classmates. The few Hispanic guys (other than me) all hang out together. The Asian guys and girls only hang out with each other for the most part. I hang out with an interesting mix of people. Having grown up in that intense racial environment, it really bothered me that you were essentially required to hang out with people who were the same skin color as you to stay somewhat safe, so I tend to avoid clumping racially which has led me to have a fairly diverse group of friends.

I've never experienced this kind of self-segregation (Asian guy here). I live in a suburb in the midwest that's about 90% white, 5% asian, and then everybody else. Red county red state. Race has never been an issue in making friends for me, it's way more about personality and common interests.

As a single guy, NYC is a great place to be. As a single girl, SF is a better bet. This all comes down to basic gender ratios and competition- there are more young and single women than men in NYC while the reverse is true in SF. This largely has to do with the nature of both local economies (tech versus media/marketing/finance) as it relates to the sort of people coming there for work in their 20s. Portland is another city where you get a real edge as a highly educated man, particularly given the tendency of women to want to date up and many men being insecure in relationships with higher educated or paid women: the ratio of college-educated men to women is 100:156. The night life is also good, and as long as you stay away from bars frequented by the far right or left, it's fairly safe and fun.

So what is a good city for young, single doctors is going to both depend on your gender and your expectations, but all of the cities you bring up have strong merits for dating depending on who you are as an individual. Of course, if you've got the skills, every place is a perfect place to be single, but for everyone else, stacking odds tends to lead to better outcomes.

I was mostly referring to rent, traffic, homeless, crime, etc when I meant "terrible."

I've never experienced this kind of self-segregation (Asian guy here). I live in a suburb in the midwest that's about 90% white, 5% asian, and then everybody else. Red county red state. Race has never been an issue in making friends for me, it's way more about personality and common interests.

I was mostly referring to rent, traffic, homeless, crime, etc when I meant "terrible."
As a young, single doctor it's easy to dodge the worst parts of the cities. You can afford the rent and to live in better areas where the crime is low and there isn't much homelessness. Traffic isn't an issue if you're using public transit, which honestly is the best way to go in many cities. Portland the traffic isn't bad, SF it's manageable, NY the public transit is so good I would keep my car garaged outside the city and not even use it

As a young, single doctor it's easy to dodge the worst parts of the cities. You can afford the rent and to live in better areas where the crime is low and there isn't much homelessness. Traffic isn't an issue if you're using public transit, which honestly is the best way to go in many cities. Portland the traffic isn't bad, SF it's manageable, NY the public transit is so good I would keep my car garaged outside the city and not even use it

But what if you're a car guy.

This thread just shows what a cluster*k this country is.

Um.... Why are Asian women categorically separated?
Because some men/women are exclusively interested in Asian women.

San Jose is a better bet than SF for single women. SF is prime territory for gay men, and your gender statistics are likely counting them.

Of course it is, but you probably are more into SWPL than say Asian Americans who grew up in NYC or California. If you're a believer in conservative Republican politics, then of course, you will get along better with suburban red-state white folk.