Your opinion of the best cities for young, single doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread just shows what a cluster*k this country is.

Because some men/women are exclusively interested in Asian women.

San Jose is a better bet than SF for single women. SF is prime territory for gay men, and your gender statistics are likely counting them.

Of course it is, but you probably are more into SWPL than say Asian Americans who grew up in NYC or California. If you're a believer in conservative Republican politics, then of course, you will get along better with suburban red-state white folk.
SF also has a ton of lesbians, the gays balance out pretty well on both sides. San Jose is obviously a better choice but really, the distance between the two is just a Tinder setting away and SF is preferable to San Jose IMO for day-to-day life

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
SF also has a ton of lesbians, the gays balance out pretty well on both sides. San Jose is obviously a better choice but really, the distance between the two is just a Tinder setting away and SF is preferable to San Jose IMO for day-to-day life

Disagree. There are far more gay men in San Francisco than lesbians.

100% agree. Car is basically required in STL. I was in the city for undergrad and unless you live on campus, you need a car to get anywhere. Public transportation is almost non existent and biking is not recommended within the city outside of a few select routes.
I'd definitely recommend a car in St. Louis. Public transportation is pretty subpar.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% agree. Car is basically required in STL. I was in the city for undergrad and unless you live on campus, you need a car to get anywhere. Public transportation is almost non existent and biking is not recommended within the city outside of a few select routes.
Isnt STL one of the most dangerous cities in the US?

i grew up in cleveland and in terms of hospitals you have a great selection. the cost of living is relatively low, it’s easy to get around, and there’s lots of nice suburbs (the inner ring ones close to the city are walkable and filled with lots of young professionals since people with families tend to move a little farther out!) lake erie is awesome in the summer too! my two big “issues” are the lack of public transit and the winters can start too early and end too late lol

Absolutely agree. And as Drew Carey said, Cleveland Rocks

Another thought, and I admit to only knowing a little about the area, but what about Anchorage? Rather multicultural, beautiful landscape, and the freaking Northern Lights!

Hottest non-Asian girls: Miami
Hottest Asian girls: NYC and LA
Best restaurants: NYC
Best nature: Colorado, Washington
Best beaches: Hawaii and Florida
Best real estate markets: Seattle, San Diego, NoVA
Best for young graduates with ton of debt but want to live in city and build wealth: Dallas, Atlanta, Austin
Only relevant if you can actually score, otherwise it's just a tease.

Absolutely agree. And as Drew Carey said, Cleveland Rocks

Another thought, and I admit to only knowing a little about the area, but what about Anchorage? Rather multicultural, beautiful landscape, and the freaking Northern Lights!
The winters are extremely long, the darkness in the dead of winter is awful, the politics (lots of far right conspiracy theorizing out here) are crazy, the young population isn't huge, the food scene is pretty awful compared to other cities I've encountered of similar size, flights out of Anchorage get expensive, there is an abundance of homeless who are rather aggressive (only places I've been attacked/chased by homeless are Anchorage and Honolulu), and there really isn't much of a culture (imo). Oh, and for things I like specifically, the rock climbing isn't great (most of the rock here isn't well suited to climbing), glaciated mountaineering requires 4-5 days of travel at a minimum before you even start your ascent, and for some reason people leave their dog **** absolutely everywhere on most trails. Oh, and one of the most beautiful glaciers around cannot be accessed unless you go through one specific company because while the glacier itself is public property, some dingus bought all the property around the glacier and increases the price for access as often as he can and the state doesn't do **** because "muh freedom."

That being said, the hikes are still gorgeous, despite the dog ****, there is the opportunity for true adventure, the skiing is awesome, the landscapes are beautiful, people will leave you alone for the most part, things are somewhat cheap, the summers have very long days that are absolutely gorgeous with lots of sunlight, and there are so many beautiful small places to visit. Access to the outdoors is super close, in most parts of Anchorage you can step out your front door and be on the mountain/biking/skiing/kayaking within 15 minutes.

I'm not a huge fan of AK, but I also tend to lean left and the aggressive stances against any kind of covid measures during the height of the pandemic really turned me off to the town. People here are libertarian to the point that it kind of becomes a "**** you, I got mine" kind of culture. This is all just my perception, some of my friends absolutely love Anchorage and AK.

brah, NOTHING bets watching alll the sloots running around in rompers and sun dresses during a Central Park Summer in NYC or Williamsburg. Hands down. But...I would agree with you that all the girls from the NE pretty much aren't great to be around...and let us not forget about the biggest dump of all...New Jersey
New Jersey is the armpit of America with raging hidradenitis refractory to medical management. Surgical excision will be our only cure to solve NJ. Or an Earthquake that splits it off into the sea like California, but the difference is people will still fly to California and it'll be the new Hawaii. NJ will become our leper colony.

Reactions: 2 users
Isnt STL one of the most dangerous cities in the US?
Yes, but the vast majority of violent crime is concentrated in very specific areas. It's not the war zone that some of the coverage makes it out to be. lol I lived in the city as a single female for years, and the only issue I ran into was having a couple packages stolen off my front porch. That being said, I also took all the normal precautions... not walking alone at night, waiting to park if someone was milling around, etc. Package thefts and car break-ins were the most common crimes in my neighborhood. Some of my neighbors just took to leaving their car doors unlocked and not keeping anything of value in there to avoid a smashed window. There were 3-4 violent crimes in my neighborhood while I was there, but that was over 7-8 years. I think that's what you see in most areas of the city... violent crime definitely happens, but it's sporadic.

Scottsdale, Dallas, Charleston, STL, Tampa/Ft Lauderdale/Miami (no state income tax aka pay off those loans), Nashville

Last edited:
what are people's thoughts on buffalo NY?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a vote for Boston. But to get this out of the way - YES way too expensive cost of living.

On the plus side it's a vibrant college town full of young professionals, progressive minded people, great sports, arts and recreation, fairly safe. You also live within miles of dozens of hospitals and world class universities - not hard to find research projects everywhere. Cape Cod and surfing, or New England Mountains for skiing within 90 minutes. And don't believe the hype about New England winters - people play tennis outside in December. Pretty mild.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's a vote for Boston. But to get this out of the way - YES way too expensive cost of living.

On the plus side it's a vibrant college town full of young professionals, progressive minded people, great sports, arts and recreation, fairly safe. You also live within miles of dozens of hospitals and world class universities - not hard to find research projects everywhere. Cape Cod and surfing, or New England Mountains for skiing within 90 minutes. And don't believe the hype about New England winters - people play tennis outside in December. Pretty mild.
It's more ideal to avoid places with higher concentrations of doctors. "Standing out" is a real thing.

No one has answered the most important question yet.

Which city has the hottest babes?
I could only hypothesize Miami would have to take home the prize.

Source: Multiple spring breaks throughout undergrad in Miami

For those that are looking for the opposite in bold (ie conservative people) consider Ft Worth. Good city, clean, and not very cold. You do have to deal with the hot summers but you can do stuff in the heat, not during a blizzard. Also, ft worth is cheap, has the big city feel without being lost, and you're close to a major airport hub so you can essentially go anywhere without connecting flights

I'm laughing at this thread as the priorities seem to be more along the lines of a 22 yo world view vs someone finishing training in their mid 30's quite often.

Most young adult MD's in their 30's have already married (or do so shortly) and are usually working their ass off in the first decade of practice trying to pay loans off, save for the future, buy a house, start a family, etc... The job itself is much more a factor here then how cool the city you're in is, as you really can't enjoy a lot of those things easily) Single male doctors don't have much trouble finding relationships wherever they live. Can be trickier for women to date at that age quite honestly as there aren't as many opportunities to meet people. (That being said, 3 of my female surgery resident are all engaged to people met on dating apps, so it's a whole new world for ways to date).
I've lived in Birmingham, Nashville, and Louisville which are all 1.2-2M populationcharlana Mosesmetro areas that have great balances on QOL for physicians and their families without the size drag and commutes of living in larger cities.

Reactions: 6 users
Only relevant if you can actually score, otherwise it's just a tease.

Oh that's easy. Choose the dating app of your choice and do the following

Picture 1: white coat
Picture 2: dog pic
Picture 3: exciting hobby with friends that you totally are very into
Picture 4: shirtless pic

Bio: “6 feet” followed by some joke about how men are the shallow sex

Ez.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Ez.
6 feet tall? What happens on the actual date when they see you’re 5’7?

• Haha
6 feet tall? What happens on the actual date when they see you’re 5’7?
1619444860997.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Ez.
yes to 2/3. no to 1 and 4.

I'll cast my vote for Hoboken/Jersey City. Easy access to NYC which has some of the best entertainment and restaurants in the country. NJ has some of the best malls/shopping (check out American Dream). For an armpit it's actually pretty beautiful in the spring/summer, has some great hiking areas, beautiful parks and the beaches are pretty decent. Also its a decently temperate climate - you get all 4 seasons and the winters are pretty mild, although the summer gets a little too hot in July/August (but its perfect for a day at the beach). Its just expensive.

Ez.
Legit bad advice.

Put 'medical student' in your bio, it has somewhat made a difference for me. Don't do the white coat pic or the shirtless pic (unless you're on a beach and it's candid).

Legit bad advice.

Put 'medical student' in your bio, it has somewhat made a difference for me. Don't do the white coat pic or the shirtless pic (unless you're on a beach and it's candid).
Lol 0 chance it's made a difference. Putting physician or doctor (once you are one) will help veryy marginally but even that's a stretch.
Dating apps are like 90% looks. Real life dating is like 50-60% looks.

Lol 0 chance it's made a difference. Putting physician or doctor (once you are one) will help veryy marginally but even that's a stretch.
Dating apps are like 90% looks. Real life dating is like 50-60% looks.
I agree. It feels like it made it difference but probably not. It's your overall package really. Just like having a Mercedes/expensive car isn't going to get you laid, but a chick I met off a dating app told me "oooooh nice car, German engineering" when I was leaving her place. Thought that was pretty funny.

I agree. It feels like it made it difference but probably not. It's your overall package really. Just like having a Mercedes/expensive car isn't going to get you laid, but a chick I met off a dating app told me "oooooh nice car, German engineering" when I was leaving her place. Thought that was pretty funny.
Pretty much. Though looks are a very dominant factor and continue to be bigger factor year by year actually. It's a lot harder than 10 years ago for example.

Put 'medical student' in your bio,

Why put that you're a med student when you can be like all the twitter medfluencers and put "MD Candidate" in your bio instead!
/s

NYC is dirty but this reads like someone who’s never spent significant time there or tried to explore the city. I’ve lived here for the better part of a decade and never witnessed a crime. Taken all manner of trains and walked all manner of neighborhoods at all manner of hours. The city has gentrified to such an extreme extent that Manhattan below 100th on either side is extremely safe (almost certainly safer than all the other cities on this list if you look at crime statistics). Most gentrified parts of Brooklyn are similar and if you’ve never been to BK or Queens, I highly recommend it. There are infinite bars, infinite restaurants, and infinite experiences. Programs seem to self select for people who don’t want to start families until their mid to late 30’s but instead want to live in the largest and liveliest city in the US. Its a more European experience and a trade-off. You have to decide what you want. You will not own a home. You’ll have a studio or 1 BR apartment (or roommates), but there is no other city except SF that comes even close to the density of things to do and explore. I’m not from nyc and I’m not staying (for all the reasons I’ve mentioned), but it’s a completely different beast than the other cities listed here (most of which I’ve visited and enjoyed). Those cities number in the dozens and are much quieter and easier to grasp. NYC is unique, ungraspable, and always moving (not for everyone). Rumors of the city’s demise have been around for decades. It’s only grown. It’s not going anywhere

Absolutely agree. NYC is just a whole different animal. Even the other "big" cities like LA, SF, and Seattle pale in comparison to what NYC has to offer in terms of experience and vibrancy. Sure, it's not the best place to have a family or if you grew up in a smaller town or the suburbs, it might feel stifling at times. But for city lovers like me, NYC is constantly growing, changing and alive. NYC is more similar in character to the massive cities in Asia like Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, and etc. Which other city in the US can you just go out at 2AM to a bar or grab a pizza because you are hungry? The MTA runs 24hrs and there isn't a corner of the city that is inaccessible via public transportation. NYC is the one and only.

• Love
Absolutely agree. NYC is just a whole different animal. Even the other "big" cities like LA, SF, and Seattle pale in comparison to what NYC has to offer in terms of experience and vibrancy. Sure, it's not the best place to have a family or if you grew up in a smaller town or the suburbs, it might feel stifling at times. But for city lovers like me, NYC is constantly growing, changing and alive. NYC is more similar in character to the massive cities in Asia like Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, and etc. Which other city in the US can you just go out at 2AM to a bar or grab a pizza because you are hungry? The MTA runs 24hrs and there isn't a corner of the city that is inaccessible via public transportation. NYC is the one and only.
This sounds like heaven to me.

I am in my early 30s and have dated about 25 women in my life. Unless I meet someone perfect, I am also open to not marrying anyone and just date people for the rest of my life. I have been sacrificing so many years of my life in suburban areas where all fun things can be exhausted in about a year despite being busy with school. So now I drive at least 2~5 hours(4~10 hours back and forth) just for a weekend getaway.

If I work 3 days per week, 30 hours per week, and make $300k per year, I can live comfortably in NYC midtown as a single professional male while saving and investing more than enough for my retirement.

Last edited:
Which other city in the US can you just go out at 2AM to a bar or grab a pizza because you are hungry?

I see some variation of this line in like every thread where living in NYC comes up, lol. At least usually it's something like Thai food at 2 AM and not as basic as bars or pizza.

I see some variation of this line in like every thread where living in NYC comes up, lol. At least usually it's something like Thai food at 2 AM and not as basic as bars or pizza.

Because even the most basic "bars and pizza" are not available after 8-9PM in other major cities in the US. Was trying to illustrate the fact that NYC is lightyears apart from even the next closest thing. Yeah you're right, NYC offers the option of starting at a Japanese izakaya, going to a club or karaoke, and ending at a Korean BBQ and spa all in the same night (without a car at that bc everything is walkable or accessible by public transit).
I don't see any other city that can offer anything remotely similar.

Because even the most basic "bars and pizza" are not available after 8-9PM in other major cities in the US. Was trying to illustrate the fact that NYC is lightyears apart from even the next closest thing.
To which other “major cities” are you referring to when you say their bars close at 8-9pm? Tulsa!? 😂

Late to answer the OP but if you're a guy, then google major cities with a higher female population than male. Gotta play the odds.

I feel like in the past decade, young professionals are moving out of big metropolitan cities like LA, Chicago, and NYC because of a multitude of reasons (rent, high COL, oversaturation, crime, etc.). So I was wondering what cities do you personally think would be ideal specifically for single residents/young attendings who are not tied to any one specific location. And what are your reasons for choosing that city? Are there any less known, "hidden" cities that you like?

Maybe some considerations for the young MD/DO include: rent, traffic, dating scene, taxes, malpractice insurance, percentage of other young professionals, house buying cost, nightlife, outdoor activities (for the EM docs out there lol), weather, safety, racial/cultural diversity, political leaning, etc.
I'd first decide how red or blue of a place you want. If you're blue, Boston is great. And you can find cheap rent. Tons of universities. Tons of young people. Tons of arts, music, theater, etc. If you're red, maybe somewhere in Texas or Tennessee.

I'd first decide how red or blue of a place you want. If you're blue, Boston is great. And you can find cheap rent. Tons of universities. Tons of young people. Tons of arts, music, theater, etc. If you're red, maybe somewhere in Texas or Tennessee.
No yeah Boston is great 100%, the problem is just matching there lmao

• Haha