YOUR opinion on pharmacy education.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tttaaa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a pharmacy student but an aspiring high school student who would like some insights about pharmacy school.
Are the courses more scientifically oriented (versus things like economics, ethics...)?
1. Do you feel intellectually fulfilled? Do you feel smarter (and with better problem solving skills) after your pharmacy education?
2. Or do you feel that the education was basically a painstaking (but not pointless) memorization of a lot of facts?
3. Also, do you feel burn out after pharmacy school?
4. Did your education foster interests that motivate you to continue your pharmacy education, innovate pharmaceutical sciences... and perhaps do a Ph.D?
Any insights on your current situation are more than welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Are the courses more scientifically oriented (versus things like economics, ethics...)?

Absolutely. It's a huge amount of chem/bio/biochem.

1. Do you feel intellectually fulfilled? Do you feel smarter (and with better problem solving skills) after your pharmacy education?

No one should ever feel intellectually fufilled, why stop learning? Yes, when you're doing so many courses you of course come out with more knowledge. Problem solving skills, in the traditional sense of physics/math, have weakened I'd wager. That's an engineering route.

2. Or do you feel that the education was basically a painstaking (but not pointless) memorization of a lot of facts?

This is much closer, albeit not entirely accurate. Most courses are a ton of "memorization", although some require understanding [pharmacology/kinetics etc]. It really depends on the professor and what angle they take.

I'm not finished, so I don't know what you mean by "after." But during exams, absolutely it's rough. You get burnt out during the semester [7 courses..], and then have to try to hold it together through finals. A midterm in some of my courses would have easily been a final in my prereqs. Much more material, much less time, more courses.

4. Did your education foster interests that motivate you to continue your pharmacy education, innovate pharmaceutical sciences... and perhaps do a Ph.D?

I'd shoot myself if I had to study a Ph.D in pharmaceutics. I may continue my studies, but I really think after 4 years of this - on top of your pre reqs - you'll get your share of academia. The people in power are usually unfathomably ANAL, and therein lies the problem. They got through school by memorizing page after page, and expect you to do the same. You get the occasional awesome prof too though, it all works out.

I am not a pharmacy student but an aspiring high school student who would like some insights about pharmacy school.
Of course.

I know about a billion times more stuff about drugs...but I didn't particularly need better problem solving skills. They typically look for that in candidates that apply. You should be a problem solver before you walk in the door.

Of course it is mostly memorization, most college majors are. And, yes, it's painstaking...but it has to be in order for you to know enough about every drug on the shelf and more to pass the boards.

I've been burnt out from school since the 8th grade. The pay check and prospect of early retirement keeps me going.

Actually, I gradually wanted to not pursue further education more and more as time went along.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very useful, thanks.

Actually, I gradually wanted to not pursue further education more and more as time went along.

I agree! When I started I had big goals of residency and getting my masters.... Now, I'm just looking forward to finishing!