Your Take on IMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what you're saying is that the top 10% of IMGs do better on the USMLE than the average AMG? Maybe true, but obviously not a meaningful comparison. As a group, AMGs do markedly better on USMLE than IMGs.

The passing rates rates for people who matched would portray an entirely different picture. Also, while interpreting the above mentioned results we need to take into account the people who apply and take exams without appropriate information about exams whereas almost all AMGs would be familiar with at least the content of the exam. Thirdly, applicants come from a very diverse pool e.g. some IMGs may not be serious about residency in USA, but take their USMLE anyway whereas almost all AMGs want to pursue a residency in USA.

Members don't see this ad.

So what you're saying is that the top 10% of IMGs do better on the USMLE than the average AMG? Maybe true, but obviously not a meaningful comparison. As a group, AMGs do markedly better on USMLE than IMGs.

I am saying that people who ultimately get a residency position have comparable if not better scores than AMGs. This comparison would be meaningful from a US healthcare system perspective because we should be concerned only about people who remain in the US healthcare system.

Last edited:
After reading this discussion I'm a bit confused. One of the programs that I really like is about 99.9% IMGs. So does this mean I'm competing against very high USMLE scores for a spot at this program? If they fill primarily with IMGs, am I at a disadvantage? Do you think they only rank IMGs high? Would they feel that I wouldn't fit in? :confused:

This is such an inane thread. I imagine close to 80% of the people on this forum are IMGs. OP must be a sadist.

This is such an inane thread. I imagine close to 80% of the people on this forum are IMGs. OP must be a sadist.

Not quite, I'd say most of SDNers are AMGs. However, it's interesting to see everyone's opinions about international medical education.

In my opinion, average AMGs are better since they must build up a stronger CV to get into med school (i.e. close-to-perfect GPA, honors, awards, pubs, research, etc). America values the "best prepared" individuals for a job/position, therefore AMGs have generally "better credentials".

That being said, I must argue that most of IMGs come from countries with fewer opportunities (i.e. no student loans, no research, no money to grant awards) or different traditions (i.e. AOA or other sort of academic societies). Regardless of their USMLE scores (I know many that didn't score 99's but are currently in competitive specialties), only the very best IMGs will make it......And by saying the "very best", I implied those who are persistent, enthusiastic and truly convinced that training in the U.S. will make them better doctors.

After reading this discussion I'm a bit confused. One of the programs that I really like is about 99.9% IMGs. So does this mean I'm competing against very high USMLE scores for a spot at this program? If they fill primarily with IMGs, am I at a disadvantage? Do you think they only rank IMGs high? Would they feel that I wouldn't fit in? :confused:

It is not always about scores. If the program feels that you bring something to the table, they will rank you.

SDN has that information available and the *vast* majority of registered users are posting from IPs in the mainland United States.

Of course, we can't separate out who is an AMG and who isn't (with the exception of those using an .edu email addy to register with), a simple perusal of the SDN forums will tell you that most identify with being an AMG, US medical student or pre-med. There are relatively few who claim to be IMGs here (which is why we sometimes refer them to other forums which are more richly represented by IMGs/FMGs).

The correct term for it is IMG officially according to the ECFMG-educational comission for foreign medical grads.

The term FMG is no longer supposed to be used.

So I guess that's the reason that the ecFMG changed their name to ecIMG....:rolleyes: Yeah, the point is that we're not equal, and call us whatever name you wish, we're not AMGs...