Your Tips for boosting Immune system and avoiding getting sick during DSchool!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PocketRocket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a high school and college student I never enjoyed getting sick but, tbh, never minded the occasional reason to not go to school or attend class. With dental school I will not have that luxury. I'm a generally healthy person. I read about nutrition and try my best to eat right. I work out regularly. And I do my best to get 7-8 hours of sleep.

When I do feel like I am getting sick(headache, itchy throat, etc..) I found that taking 1000mg vitamin C, zinc, and 8-9 hours of sleep does the trick for me. I'm suspecting that the sleep is key here so I do take niquil as well.

Would anyone like to chip in as to how they avoid getting sick during D school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I drink ~4L of water a day. I haven't gotten sick *knock on wood* since I started this effort last year.

Also, and this is along the lines of your Vitamin C/zinc recommendation, whenever I begin to feel a little under the weather (mild scratchy throat, feeling a little warm, some minor fatigue), I take a "counterattack" pill.

Go to Amazon and look up "rainbow light counter attack." It clears up the symptoms within 2-3 hrs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eat a plant based diet aka GO Vegan!!

Dr. Greger on how to prevent the leading causes of death:
(Summary: A plant based diet can help prevent 14 out of the 15 leading causes of death (it can't prevent accidents) and can actually help reverse the top three (heart disease, cancer, and COPD))

Last edited:
Eat a plant based diet aka GO Vegan!!

Dr. Greger on how to prevent the leading causes of death:
(Summary: A plant based diet can help prevent 14 out of the 15 leading causes of death (it can't prevent accidents) and can actually help reverse the top three (heart disease, cancer, and COPD))

What an engaging speaker! I didn't even realize I just spent an hour on this video haha

Reactions: 1 user
Not in dental school yet but whenever I feel a sore throat coming on, I gargle with warm salt (lightly salted) water a couple times a day. Throw in some vitamin C tablets and tons of water with that regimen and you should feel much better the next day.

It's really pretty simple, and then can be applied to one's lifestyle once they get out into private practice.

Eat a sensible diet. Get some regular exercise, with some focus on stretching especially of the lower back and neck and core muscle group strengthening, in addition to cardio. Find some type of enjoyable activity (be it reading, meditation, quite walks, etc) that will give your brain some time to just slow down a bit and relax, because not just dental school, but practice and presumably family life eventually for many can and often is/are a stressful event(s). Lastly get into a REGULAR sleep pattern. Try and go to bed and wake up at roughly the same time the overwhelming majority of days, that tends to produce much more consistantly restful sleep than just trying to get X number of hours of sleep a day with different starting and ending times on a regular basis

I'm a strong advocate of the hygiene hypothesis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis). Basically, you expose yourself to germs to challenge your immune system. I get a sore throat maybe 3 days out of the year and that's it as far as sickness goes.

In dental school, the best way to do this is to secretly needle stick yourself with every patient. Now be sure not to use the soiled needle/instrument/bur on the patient after you've poked yourself; you can't be sure if they follow the hygiene hypothesis lifestyle or not.

please for the love of God don't do this i'm only kidding

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm a high school teacher so I'm constantly surrounded by sick kids. My biggest way to stay healthy is pretty simple: proper hand washing. I wash my hands every chance I get and make sure not to touch my face or eat with my hands until I have done so. I also always get my flu shot and managed to avoid the two big "flu waves" we had at the school this year.

I also used to work in the infection control department at a hospital and that was the #1 thing we stressed to everyone. Also, from what I remember when I worked there, taking vitamin C and zinc had almost no effect/no effect at all on preventing getting sick. But hey, if the placebo effect is working, keep doing it ;)

1. Do not touch your face (including eyes, ears, etc) at all.
2. Drink a cup of hot green tea a day.
3. Eat fruit like oranges, berries, kiwis (double the vitamin C of an orange)
4. Exercise (even if that is just a nice 10-15 min walk outside)
5. Take periodic naps while studying.
6. Eat plain, organic yogurt or drink kefir everyday.

Lots of alcohol will kill all those nasty pathogens. I prefer to apply it in the forms of beer and whiskey.

Drink this Vitamin shake, it should do it! No need to know portuguese, just watch! hahahahaha

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants- Pollen
Get good sleep most of the time
Keep active, and for mental health, disconnect and meditate.