Your Worst/Lowest Point In Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While I'm on Neuro and IM, Dad was in the hospital next door getting transplanted liver and kidney and fighting complications of that.

Meanwhile, my ex-fiance won't move out of our apartment earlier than the next few months. She fights with me every day when I get home for fun and calls me all sorts of names. She's pratically an alcoholic at this point. She's smoking pot and screwing some new guy on the couch. She demands I start sleeping on the futon while she takes the bed for herself. I refuse, so I'm sleeping every night next to my abusive ex who's running around with new guys.

I wish this wasn't a true story...

Members don't see this ad.

While I'm on Neuro and IM, Dad was in the hospital next door getting transplanted liver and kidney and fighting complications of that.

Meanwhile, my ex-fiance won't move out of our apartment earlier than the next few months. She fights with me every day when I get home for fun and calls me all sorts of names. She's pratically an alcoholic at this point. She's smoking pot and screwing some new guy on the couch. She demands I start sleeping on the futon while she takes the bed for herself. I refuse, so I'm sleeping every night next to my abusive ex who's running around with new guys.

You win.

Reactions: 1 users
Dude. Not cool of her at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
want her out?

:idea:

when she's not home, change the locks, box up her shtuff, so when she gets back and knocks and is like :confused: you open the door just enough to give her the box(es) and close the door behind her and :laugh:

plain and simple :D

want her out?

:idea:

when she's not home, change the locks, box up her shtuff, so when she gets back and knocks and is like :confused: you open the door just enough to give her the box(es) and close the door behind her and :laugh:

plain and simple :D

unless she's on the lease or title, in which case she has legal recourse.

unless she's on the lease or title, in which case she has legal recourse.

and... she was. She was moving out in a few months and could have even moved back to her old apartment with her friends. She just felt entitled to stay because her name was on the lease. She didn't have any problems with the arrangement, and felt that moving twice would be too much trouble. Meanwhile, I was rotating through a IM program that on SDN has the reputation of the nation's most malignant. She used to tell me if I had problems with her behavior that I should move out.

Now that I'm out of grad school, I learn that the four years I spent on research/PhD doesn't mean hardly anything to residencies. You see, my school has six months of clinics before PhD. My failure to obtain honors in clinics is going to make it very difficult for me to match, in particular to research-oriented programs that still mostly care about things like clinical grades. I can't make excuses for having all HPs, like my mom, recently homeless, showing up at my door asking to move in, my dad, critically ill, spending a few months in the hospital, or my fiancee breaking up with me and catching her screwing new guys. Now, four years since I was last in clinics, I'm told to try to honor everything and get a much higher Step II score if I want a shot to get a research residency in the field I did my PhD in. When I got my Step I score, I thought it was quite good, but it turns out it's just the cutoff for interview (i.e. mediocre) at the places I'd like to go. This realization is now low point #2 and summarized in this thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=636747

Last edited:
my lowest point in medical school was when I farted in the middle of class when it was dead silent. omg so freaking embarrassing. everyone turned and looked my direction and the guy behind me pointed directly at me like. ARG freaking punk. At least let me look inconspicuous about it.

^sounds like my elementary and junior high years all over again. I was know as the kid that farted all the time...b/c I could. lol

studying for step 1 has been the worst so far. however, getting my scores back made it all worthwhile. :)

FYL, man. :(

Holy hell... I'm sorry man. This is FML worthy.

I hope things are better for your now bud.

Members don't see this ad :)
Much! :D I just hope I get what I want in the match! Or... Match at all for that matter :scared:

You'll match. Who doesn't want a senior mod for SDN on their team?

As a side note, I always wondered how you MD/PhD guys managed that huge layoff in-between. It is a lot of information to retain during however many years it takes to complete the PhD.

1 week before my scheduled Step 1 exam, my dad passed away. He wasn't sick and he wasn't in the hospital. He just died. I called my school and told them what happened because I didn't know what I was supposed to do about my test and if I was too close to re-schedule. I was able to reschedule, about 10 days later than my original test day. I wasn't able to schedule a test in my town because everything was booked. I had to take it about 5 hours away. I failed the test. See, my dad was a doctor. The last time I saw him was as I was beginning to study for Step 1. I remember asking him a question about Wilson's disease (and him telling me that he has never seen Wilson's disease). I had a question about Wilson's disease on my exam and I started crying right there in the testing center. Needless to say, I failed. I had to sit out 2 rotations to make up the test (which I passed :D) Now I am in a huge mess though applying to residency. I am sending out my application without 2 of my 3rd year clerkships and I can't take Step 2 until I finish my junior surgery rotation in October.

Last couple of weeks of studying for Step 1, mostly due to a little too much golf in the first 2 weeks of studying for Step 1

1 week before my scheduled Step 1 exam, my dad passed away. He wasn't sick and he wasn't in the hospital. He just died. I called my school and told them what happened because I didn't know what I was supposed to do about my test and if I was too close to re-schedule. I was able to reschedule, about 10 days later than my original test day. I wasn't able to schedule a test in my town because everything was booked. I had to take it about 5 hours away. I failed the test. See, my dad was a doctor. The last time I saw him was as I was beginning to study for Step 1. I remember asking him a question about Wilson's disease (and him telling me that he has never seen Wilson's disease). I had a question about Wilson's disease on my exam and I started crying right there in the testing center. Needless to say, I failed. I had to sit out 2 rotations to make up the test (which I passed :D) Now I am in a huge mess though applying to residency. I am sending out my application without 2 of my 3rd year clerkships and I can't take Step 2 until I finish my junior surgery rotation in October.

Oh, honey. :(

*hugs*

Wow. I was going to say right now studying for this pulmonary test, but now it doesn't seem so bad . . .

The use of illegal drugs is a violation of my lease. Talk to the apartment manager and get the cops involved. She will be out in 30 days. Actually, she will be in jail tomorrow. Her stuff will be out in 30 days.

good luck

a)Finding out my grandmother, who I have not seen in 20+ and won't probably ever see again was in the hospital.
b)Watching the green revolution come heartbreakingly close, but fail so far away.
c)Taking my kid to a birthday party, and realizing that I had missed more than a year of the memories that I would have remembered forever if I had not been stupid enough to change careers and go back to medical school.
d)And wondering how it was that we don't talk about how much it sucks to be a mom in medical school. Not becoming a mom in medical school, but coming into medical school as a mom. Why doesn't anyone tell you that your child will forget who you are?

All this, in the same day.

a)Finding out my grandmother, who I have not seen in 20+ and won't probably ever see again was in the hospital.
b)Watching the green revolution come heartbreakingly close, but fail so far away.
c)Taking my kid to a birthday party, and realizing that I had missed more than a year of the memories that I would have remembered forever if I had not been stupid enough to change careers and go back to medical school.
d)And wondering how it was that we don't talk about how much it sucks to be a mom in medical school. Not becoming a mom in medical school, but coming into medical school as a mom. Why doesn't anyone tell you that your child will forget who you are?

All this, in the same day.

It's worth it. You will be able to give your child the best that life can offer.

The use of illegal drugs is a violation of my lease. Talk to the apartment manager and get the cops involved. She will be out in 30 days. Actually, she will be in jail tomorrow. Her stuff will be out in 30 days.

First off, this was years ago. Second off, yeah right. In CC Philadelphia?! I don't recall there being an illegal drugs waiver, I don't think my landlord would particularly care given that much of their student tenants smoked weed, and the cops? Lol. Philadelphia cops might come if I tell them she has a gun pointed at me. Maybe.

It's worth it. You will be able to give your child the best that life can offer.

Well, the child would probably say that the best that life can offer is the child's mother present in his/her life rather than a nice car in high school and a private college education.

How the hell did you get through this?
I would've gone bat****-****ing-loco if this happened to me.

How the hell did you get through this?
I would've gone bat****-****ing-loco if this happened to me.

My life has never been easy. My medical school application was described by most as "extremely disadvantaged". So I've gotten used to hardship. It makes me appreciate it more when things are going well.

I would post my all time low, but I think it would blow my cover.

That being said, I know studying for step I is gonna blow.

I can't even begin to think about how I'm going to remember all that detail when I can't even remember stuff from first year :(

overdosing on caffeine pills and feeling like i was going to die, continuous vomiting, malaise, headache. Read online about reported deaths from caffeine pills in the amount just slightly above what i had taken. checked myself into my emergency room, was waiting to be seen, saw a resident walk by with whom i had worked with during IM rotation, felt super embarrased and ashamed, walked out of an emergency room. spent the night in bed throwing up and wondering if i would die of an arrhythmia or would live to see tomorrow, thought about my family a lot that night and the sacrifices they had made for me.

overdosing on caffeine pills and feeling like i was going to die, continuous vomiting, malaise, headache. Read online about reported deaths from caffeine pills in the amount just slightly above what i had taken. checked myself into my emergency room, was waiting to be seen, saw a resident walk by with whom i had worked with during IM rotation, felt super embarrased and ashamed, walked out of an emergency room. spent the night in bed throwing up and wondering if i would die of an arrhythmia or would live to see tomorrow, thought about my family a lot that night and the sacrifices they had made for me.
damn dude. if i can ask, how many mg's of caffeine?

Step 1, hands down. Even as a 4th year i still have PTSD thinking about that horrible exam. 2nd worst was Anatomy because this was also during the time of adjustment to med school and trying to make friends in class.

Reactions: 4 users
I passed cell molecular biology by 1 point. Really lit a fire under my butt to get on top of things.

Step 1, hands down. Even as a 4th year i still have PTSD thinking about that horrible exam. 2nd worst was Anatomy because this was also during the time of adjustment to med school and trying to make friends in class.

Why was this thread bumped, interesting tho. I'm doing pretty well in Anatomy the last exam is next week hopefully I don't fail. I haven't had a low point yet, but its really easy for me to fall into negative thinking, start doubting myself, and start judging and attacking everyone around me.

Why was this thread bumped, interesting tho. I'm doing pretty well in Anatomy the last exam is next week hopefully I don't fail. I haven't had a low point yet, but its really easy for me to fall into negative thinking, start doubting myself, and start judging and attacking everyone around me.

It's a dynamic spectrum, you've certainly already had a low point. If that respective low point hasn't been too bad (e.g. the PBL facilitator mispronounced my last name during introductions/whatever)-- well, that's good news.

This more or less captures my feelings about med school:

b989c0649a92cf6706830b9970bc201a.jpg

While simultaneously having the attitude of:

tumblr_nc7cd4Nsav1tm5dvbo1_500.gif

Reactions: 5 users
You don't say. Glad to know it's just a defense mechanism, although you really should improve on your outlook.

I'd say it is a depressed plateau with a few highs.

edit: lol wtf "depressed plateau", lol

My lowest points in med school thus far:

- first year, failing Neuro after working so hard and being so close to passing (only failed by 1.5%). Had to retake the class over the summer. I felt pretty stupid but it's totally irrelevant now.

-step 1 studying, by far. One of the WORST experiences of my life. I was so stressed. I'm just happy I was strong enough to get through it (some of my classmates weren't)

It simply doesn't have a place in the civilized area of SDN. Somewhere in the WD though, it might pop up someday.
I don't see how if properly phrased would grant you a ban, even if you confess triple homicide and profanation of cadaver, your safe with us.

Reactions: 1 user