Your Worst required course was?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My worst prereq for Med School was Physics II... (currently in) Just curious as to your guys's course you despised the most. (Of Med school Requirements)

Members don't see this ad.

my worst required course for my degree was without a doubt Pchem (physical chemistry) biochem major

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't like O-chem. Worked your butt off for a freakin B or less. :laugh:
Ticked me off.

Everyone warned me that OCHEM was going to be the worst series but for me it was actually easier than Gen CHEM. I would have to say the that worst med requirement was Physics for me.

OChem, both of them.

O-CHEM, by far the worst :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics 1, easily. Ive never had to work so hard on a final for a C+

Orgo.

But it was probably due to my terrible prof and his terrible testing style.

Orgo 2 sucked: Robinson annulation, and every other freaking random mechanism

Physics 2 sucked: w/ the Lenz equation, lenses, flux, etc...

Gchem sucked: w/ the heat, work, delta q and all that crap that I have forgotten completely. But like the ice cube in the foam cup and the thermometer. And the Carnot engine and all that ****.... Nauseous just talking about it.

Biochem sucked if you were an ass clown like me who took it before talking Orgo.

Oh let me be different and give the odd ball answer, English II. No, I'm not kidding. I know I've mentioned this before but the course was a joke with an instructor who was obviously a BS artist to the nth degree.(You know, she tells stories but if you actually analyzed them critically you figured there was very little chance it was true. She was just trying to keep it "Real".) I guess she cared more about "improvement" than writing since she mentioned it quite a lot.(And for us older students who have written quite a bit already it's not as though I was going to improve massively.) Even the examples she gave were garbage.(She used a short story that she said had been researched really well and it included the cell as a allegory. Yet when I read that trash I realized the person who wrote it basically had no understanding of cell biology, she just used big words to bamboozle people into thinking she had done quality research and prayed nobody would call her on it.)

I know, people who've read my posts probably think I hated orgo more than any other required course but in fact english is the course I found to be the most complete waste of time.

I'm with Dave D... definitely english. Biggest waste of time ever.

Dave_D said:
Oh let me be different and give the odd ball answer, English II. No, I'm not kidding. I know I've mentioned this before but the course was a joke with an instructor who was obviously a BS artist to the nth degree.(You know, she tells stories but if you actually analyzed them critically you figured there was very little chance it was true. She was just trying to keep it "Real".) I guess she cared more about "improvement" than writing since she mentioned it quite a lot.(And for us older students who have written quite a bit already it's not as though I was going to improve massively.) Even the examples she gave were garbage.(She used a short story that she said had been researched really well and it included the cell as a allegory. Yet when I read that trash I realized the person who wrote it basically had no understanding of cell biology, she just used big words to bamboozle people into thinking she had done quality research and prayed nobody would call her on it.)

I know, people who've read my posts probably think I hated orgo more than any other required course but in fact english is the course I found to be the most complete waste of time.

I hate to say it, but Ill admit it.. I am horrible at writing papers because I hate it with a passion. MY sister however ( Law student) doesnt mind at all, so I dished out a 100$ for every major paper which she HELPED me with.. Did not complete it for me, but definitley made ENG I and II a lot less painful..

Ok, I'm gonna be an even bigger oddball here. Bio I. I had a professor that was giving absolutely false information and it really pissed me off. ("grams times liters gives you moles" - I kid you not. direct quote.)

I'm sure if the prof was better, I would have enjoyed the class and learned something in it. However, since attendance was mandatory all I learned was how to stay awake in a waste-of-my-time class. It was good for doing homework for other classes tho. I didn't even try to hide what I was doing.

There's no question, hands down, PCEM.

I :laugh: at people on here who complain about organic chem, physics, and ENGLISH.

PCEM brought together:
-2 semesters of gen chem
-2 semesters of organic chemistry
-2 semesters of physics
-2 semesters of calculus
-and a little biochem sprinkled with some physiology for membrane potentials

Imagine having to bring all those guns to the table along with some keen logic and reasoning skills. I've never been so throughly challenged in a course and never felt so proud to have a 3.5 and a 4.0 on my transcript.

I 4.0'ed the second semester of pchem.....jesus christ, I still can't believe it.

You're all such a bunch of losers... No class was hard for me... I breezed through everything because I'm so AWESOME!!!! :smuggrin:

Just joking :D
Biochem was probably the most difficult because the professor was a PRICK. :mad:

Pchem was the absolute hardest classes I have ever taken. Thermodynamics and kinetics aren't too bad, just lots of equations and graphs to memorize.

Quantum mechanics is simply, not for everyone. 'Normal' people do not think of the world in the same manner as people who understand this subject. Think of movies like Good Will Hunting or A Beautiful Mind. I have a masters in Neuropychology now, which leads me to beleive most people who study QM need counseling, or some sort of psychotropic med. :laugh: j/k

If it weren't for people in this field, we would never have things like MRI, lasers, and other brilliant technology making advances in medical science possible.

If you had trouble in physics, calculus, and ochem then Pchem is like all of the above, except on crack.

As a biochem major, we were only expected to take math up through intro college calculus. Our pchem professor said, not knowing the math for QM (multivariable calculus, diff eq, etc.) was not an acceptable excuse for doing poorly in his class. Needless to say, that class sucked.

Instead of studying to understand the material and do well, you were studying to beat the average and ride the curve to graduation.

I am pretty sure I will stay away from radiology residency just to avoid having to take anything remotely close to QM again. :laugh:

dIvErDoC said:
I hate to say it, but Ill admit it.. I am horrible at writing papers because I hate it with a passion. MY sister however ( Law student) doesnt mind at all, so I dished out a 100$ for every major paper which she HELPED me with.. Did not complete it for me, but definitley made ENG I and II a lot less painful..

Well for me it wasn't because I hated writing.(Which would have been bad for my last job since a 1/4 of the time was spent writing up documents.) It wasn't even as hard as say physics or orgo. It was because it was such a BS course and was pretty much a "stroke the instructor's ego" class that turned me off.(You know at my age I've gotten better at picking out those artists and take what they say with a grain of salt.) Well that and the fact I basically learned nothing. (Say what you will of Physics and orgo, demanding courses but at least I learned how to think and attack problems better than when I started.)

I hate to say that pchem really wasn't that bad for me. I will, however, temper that saying that complex variable calculus and linear algebra helped; quite frankly I wish I'd had abstract algebra for the group theory work before I took pchem, but still - with more math than required, it wasn't bad at all. I will freely admit that most others in class had great difficulties as they had only through multivariate calc (the basic requirements).

Bio II....

go figure i did better in histology the next semester than in that class
:confused:

Definately Calculus. Not only am I bad at math, but it was boring too. :sleep:

Call me a nerd but I thought OChem and Physics were cool...

:cool:

...Calculus on the other hand most definately is not cool

All subjects are cool and interesting but the point where some professors make up their exams is the part that most of us don't like lol.

I guess this thread isn't about pre reqs anymore so I will throw my two cents in. I am an accounting major and my toughest class was Intermediate Accounting 2, although I can only imagine what you poor souls that had to take Pchem went through. Intermediate accounting 2 is bull****, a bunch of mindless memorization of different accounting methods that get changed like two or three times a year, a complete waste of time. It was the only class that has ever made me want to puke before I took a test. All the med school pre reqs were not bad at all (at least this was my personal experience), I prefer to take a science class over any other type of class (I obviously picked the wrong major). Anyway I think I went over my two cents, out.

Calculus was derived by Satan himself. I am counting the days til it is over.

... I'm a lurking pre-pharm student.

Chris

Cancel my statement about Pchem.

New answer:my current English Lit class required for graduation.

For at least 9 years of my life I was trained to write book reports. Now I have to write critical essays in college. Of course on my first critical essay in college my teacher returned my paper with the comment: "THIS IS A GLORIFIED BOOK REPORT!!". This is my last semester in school and I am no longer able to write critically. 6 more reader responses left!!

Worst thing is my teacher has a midnight deadline for papers and you may submit it by email. This is the dagger through the heart of a procrastinator.

Some of the readings are in dialect too!! :eek:

HunterGatherer said:
Cancel my statement about Pchem.

New answer:my current English Lit class required for graduation.

For at least 9 years of my life I was trained to write book reports. Now I have to write critical essays in college. Of course on my first critical essay in college my teacher returned my paper with the comment: "THIS IS A GLORIFIED BOOK REPORT!!". This is my last semester in school and I am no longer able to write critically. 6 more reader responses left!!

Worst thing is my teacher has a midnight deadline for papers and you may submit it by email. This is the dagger through the heart of a procrastinator.

Some of the readings are in dialect too!! :eek:

Physics II was probably the worst course I had ever taken. The material was interesting, but the professor was horrible. Grades were based on two midterms and a final. Each exam was composed of 20 multiple choice questions worth 5 points each. All answers were similar to one another.

:: shudder!! ::
:scared:

It's amazing how a teacher has such an impact on whether or not you think the course is great or horrible. Even the coolest class can seem unbearable if you have a boring instructor, or one with poor teaching skills.

FrkyBgStok said:
physics is very interesting but its definitely kicking my ass. and calculus is incredibly boring!

Chemistry!!!!!!!!

(except Biochem, in which I am actually having a great time right now)...but all the others sucked. I'm just glad that it's over.

EastCoaster78 said:
psych blew

Intro Bio.... I did decent in the upper level courses, but the intro course kicked my a$$. Maybe it's because it was a huge class during freshman year and I was still in high school mode and not ready to put any effort.

I especially love when you've taken eight pages of notes over the last half hour and then your professor says,

"But this theory was eventually proven incorrect because ____________ and you don't need to know it for your exam."

great.

Bio II this professor only cares about us knowing which phylum a particular living thing belongs to, not hard but extremely boring, and not learning anything of importance.

Gen Chem II. I had a prof who was about to retire, so I think he was burnt out and was less than helpful. Sadly, I found out he died recently.

I loved physics, pchem, thermo etc....I'm an engineer though, so that makes sense.

The most horrible class I took was Sociology 101. I'm sure the course could have been interesting but the instructor and many students were just awful. Many kids would come loud and drunk (at 2pm!) and disrupt the class. Sadly, the prof just lectured on. Students would regularly ask questions in their native tongue and would receive responses in their language! Sometimes the answers would last a few minutes. Uhm...wtf? Man, I hated that class.

Physics is the devil. And **** biochem as well. :p

English because its boring and i hate writing papers...lol :)

my worst class was speech :mad: ...i was really nervous cuz well i had to make a speech,,but i got through my fear... :laugh:

Comparitive Anatomy anyone?

Only B I've gotten in a science class and I was lucky to get that. While I know the challange was good for me that doesn't mean I enjoyed it.