Your Worst required course was?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gen Chem I and II and Organic Chem I and II I hate chemistry. that's why I'm not a chem major........

Members don't see this ad.

I am throwing in my vote for O-Chem.

6 page paper and power point presentation due today and a take home final which will require a ton of work is due next week.

Goodbye English Lit. I never loved you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely physics (especially II)!! :thumbdown:

IUgrad said:

agreed!
:eek:
I got a C in lecture...
It was great, our teacher (a last minute stand-in for the semester) had never taught undergrad level physics before. About 40% of the class dropped and he failed 30% of those that remained... yowsa!

wannabedoctoo said:
Intro Bio.... I did decent in the upper level courses, but the intro course kicked my a$$. Maybe it's because it was a huge class during freshman year and I was still in high school mode and not ready to put any effort.

i had the same experience, intro to bio 1 was a terrible class to start college with :thumbdown:

dIvErDoC said:
My worst prereq for Med School was Physics II... (currently in) Just curious as to your guys's course you despised the most. (Of Med school Requirements)

Worst courses:

1. General Chemistry Lab

2. Physics I

3. Calculus I

4. General Chemistry I

(Notice that all of the courses have something in common --> MATH ! ! !)

[O-chem and bio don't have math, so they were not as bad as the above courses.]

Orgo. I really hated my teacher's lecture and testing style. Horrific. If I had to do it over again, I definatley would have taken an online orgo class :laugh: :laugh:

No other prereq was too bad, just too many exams :laugh:

OSUdoc08 said:
Worst courses:

1. General Chemistry Lab

2. Physics I

3. Calculus I

4. General Chemistry I

(Notice that all of the courses have something in common --> MATH ! ! !)

[O-chem and bio don't have math, so they were not as bad as the above courses.]

I got an A in Calc I, but Calc II was failed and then retaken for a C+ :eek:
.......... :scared: ............... :barf:

DRKUBA said:
I got an A in Calc I, but Calc II was failed and then retaken for a C+ :eek:
.......... :scared: ............... :barf:

Why did you take Cal II ! ! !

Members don't see this ad :)
i absolutely hated my biochem class... :mad:

strawberryfield said:
I :love: o-chem!
what is wrong with me? ;)

Absolutely nothing! I absolutely loved Organic Chemistry. Of course, if something is wrong with you...then I guess something is wrong with me too. Should we get that checked out? :scared:

IUgrad said:

Physics (non-calculus based) It's harder than the calculus based Physics.
I took it during freshman yr. Despite having a strong science background I had trouble answering weird Q's...Managed to get B though. Only B in my premed classes... ;)
Also I might just add that this class is totally irrelevant in the medical school.
Perhaps rad. oncology may become useful?!

Physics II was the absolute WORST class I have ever taken. Expecting a B- :(

I dreaded orgo before I took it, but I actually enjoyed it and I'm a lil said it's all over. I'll miss the endless hours in lab and the library, studying mechanisms and reactions...maybe.

Haha, I love how frequently Physics is mentioned, I'm taking it right now condensed into this summer (both parts) very late in the game, so I can't say anything about that so far...

I'd have to say Orgo has been the worst of the worst and I honestly expected it to be easier than General too like many of you also say.

*What I wouldn't give for the MCATs to cover ALL things Biology...

I hated orgo too. I think it depends most on the testing style your prof. uses however.

If it was just regurgitation of mechanisms, type I & II questions, etc. then it would be fine. But our exams, which were all endless writing with Type III and IV question prompts, it wasn't exactly a picnic.

org I and II sucked!!! I loved gen chem, biochem, and physics but just couldn't get a good grasp of org.....I'd like to blame the teacher, but i am sure it's just me

Calculus was the biggest pain.

However i like studying everything so no classes really bothered me.

haujun said:
Physics (non-calculus based) It's harder than the calculus based Physics.
I took it during freshman yr. Despite having a strong science background I had trouble answering weird Q's...Managed to get B though. Only B in my premed classes... ;)
Also I might just add that this class is totally irrelevant in the medical school.
Perhaps rad. oncology may become useful?!

Is it really? I'm taking Physics I+II this summer and am extremely jealous that my friends get to take algebra based.

Gmw1386 said:
Is it really? I'm taking Physics I+II this summer and am extremely jealous that my friends get to take algebra based.

I got better grades in calc-based than I did in algebra-based and I took Calc-based I over the summer with Calc II while working overnights for the first month of it. I decided I wanted a minor in physics :). Calc-based seemed easier because a lot of the concepts in physics make more sense when you have the calc behind them. You just can't do justice to concepts such as Gauss's law in algebra-based, and it's very hard to understand from an algebraic point-of-view.

For me, the worst of the worst were definitely Organic and Calc I (until I finally got a good teacher for Calc I and had experience with derivatives from other classes with good teachers). Now everyone thinks I'm some sort of math whiz lol.

Organic was an absolute bear for me though. So much so that I may not ever apply to med school after all. At my school it wasn't that I didn't understand the concepts, but couldn't puzzle-solve well enough to do well on the synthesis heavy exams.

Physics, on the other hand, was a breeze (well not a breeze, but much better for me) because it was just understanding the concepts and applying the equations.

Introductory Analytical Chem Lecture course. The guy was so unanimated and monotonous. Then he made his tests unusually hard, and graded on straght-scale. I ended up getting a D+. It was only two credits, so it did not affect my GPA too much, but I had to repeat the class otherwise I could not graduate with a chemistry degree. I repeated it with a more exciting and energetic guy, and I got a B.

cyclegirl said:
Everyone warned me that OCHEM was going to be the worst series but for me it was actually easier than Gen CHEM. I would have to say the that worst med requirement was Physics for me.

I agree with all that you said.

I had a class called medical science for engineers. It was a year long systems physiology class with a lab taught by the professors from Tulane's medschool. Class was interesting but really really hard.

Physics was my worst by far...and I am an engineer

lyk gem chem, physics, bot zoo and comparative anatomy? what if i dont know anyting about it, i forgot what ive learned. willl i still survive? or will be behind?

I was 4 points away from an A in Gen Chem I and 1 point away from an A in Gen Chem II

I loved Orgo!!!!!

I wish I could kill my intermediate inorganic prof. I had an A (95%) going into the final.....but she weighted the homework more than tests (I got an A on every test and every HW except the last one), and I ended up with a 79%. Thank goodness that the high in the class was only two points above me so she curved both me and the person above me to a B. She sucks eggs.

PHYSICS!! every class I took was do-able but this class made me work extra extra extra hard. I actually liked ochem better, it wasn't hard but it was a LOT of material at a fast pace. Have fun!! good luck to all of us applying for 2007!!

Well, I am in Ochem and hating it, but thanks to this thread, I am now petrified of Physics!! :oops: Just kidding. But still, I am sure it will be no walk in the park. I think Bio will be challenging, but doable, Gen Chem will be the same, Physics, ehh, and Ochem two will be impossible, since Ochem one is next to impossible. I had Statistics and Research Methods as a Psych major, does anyone know if that may count toward a prereq? Or do I have to take calculus?

PossiblePreMed said:
I had Statistics and Research Methods as a Psych major, does anyone know if that may count toward a prereq? Or do I have to take calculus?

Most DO schools don't require stats or calculus. If you apply to TCOM, you will have to have either one semester of calculus or statistics, but it must be a MATH department stats. A PSYC course won't do.

Physics--ended the year with a 89.7--Gave me a B---we are on straight A,B,C...scale...I should have not eaten that thai food before the test

Personal finance (accounting major). Worst professor you could imagine. Made an easy class absolutely confusing. He wound up being fired a couple years later for failure to get published, because he didn't know anything about what he was teaching. The story was he was an athlete that breezed through school and somehow got hired as a full professor.

When I heard he was fired it was all I could think about for two or three days. What a *****.

DrVanNostran said:
Physics--ended the year with a 89.7--Gave me a B---we are on straight A,B,C...scale...I should have not eaten that thai food before the test

Anyone who gives a B for an 89.7 should be shot.

joe-paladin.jpg

Three way tie between Calc I, Calc II, and Orgo I. I had a horrible teacher for Calc I. He was from Eastern Europe and had a horrible accent that no one could understand. He's actually a physics teacher so he talked way over our heads. Calc II was just plain hard. The teacher was much better and helped us out, but I'm just not good in math. Orgo II was much easier than Orgo I for me. My Orgo I teacher was horrible. Italian lady that tought she was God. She made up the most rediculous questions for tests. We'd have 25 questions for a 50 min test. Doable until you looked at the reaction and saw that it was 12 steps (not an exageration) and all the answers were identicle except for its 3-D structure at 1 carbon.

waus10 said:
and all the answers were identicle except for its 3-D structure at 1 carbon.

You had multiple choice questions on orgo exams??? :eek:

Dr Trek 1 said:

We had one multiple choice exam in Orgo, and that was at standarized Organic 2 final (Both lab and lecture) from ACS....and that was a joke :laugh: The worst part of organic is writing out those damn billion step mechanisms

OSUdoc08 said:
Anyone who gives a B for an 89.7 should be shot.

joe-paladin.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:

I begged for that A, I showed him all my lab reports, when through all my tests, I was looking for anything that could potentially raise my grade to a 90.0 overall. Oh well, I guess that made me study harder for the PS section :rolleyes:

OCHEM = DEATH. No, but seriously, the worst class ever- barnone... Doesn't matter which one- both bad for me.

Dr Trek 1 said:

yeah, multiple choice? I am jealous. Might off had Bs with multiple choice-lol

LWestenhofer said:
OCHEM = DEATH. No, but seriously, the worst class ever- barnone... Doesn't matter which one- both bad for me.

There is no math in ochem. All you do is memorize a list of reactions. It's cake---you obviously didn't do your homework and chose a crappy professor.

I found physics and gen chem to be the truly difficult classes, since they actually require complex calculations.

ORGANIC CHEM I

PHYSICS I

and hopefully I can survive ANALYTICAL "ANAL" CHEM

LWestenhofer said:
yeah, multiple choice? I am jealous. Might off had Bs with multiple choice-lol

Haha screw that, I ended up with an 87.5 in O chem II and was happy... I did good bc we had to show work which some of the time = partial credit.... I probably would have ended up with a C if it was multiple choice

Physics I and II were definitely the hardest. I did better in Organic Chem even though that wasn't the greatest class either. Some really hard classes I took that I thought would be beneficial to get into med school were Microbiology and Animal Physiology. Ugh!