You're a medical student- be grateful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usa1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You imagine the pretty white coat you will receive and you imagine all the good you will be doing for society, but what you don’t imagine is the pain you will endure during the process. You’re well aware that you will be dissecting a cadaver during the course of your studies, but what you don’t imagine is that you will be doing so the day of your grandmother’s funeral. Most could not even fathom the thought and would view this process as rather grotesque, but it is the life that we chose. The life of knowing that you yourself must endure pain to be able to rid the pain from others someday.

I am writing this in hopes that other medical students will take the seriousness of their anatomy studies far more seriously, because I sure didn’t before this day. We are blessed to be given someone’s grandparent, mother, father, sibling and friend. Our studies are incredibly difficult, but I can’t even fathom the difficulty that went into the decision to give up his or her body for YOU.

We are given one life, and we are fortunate for the life of being student doctors.

Best,

Student Doctor

Class of 2019
You didn't take the day off to go to your grandmother's funeral?

Reactions: 2 users
If you went to anatomy lab instead of your grandmother's funeral, you're either a horrible grandson, your grandmother disowned you, or both.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You decided to look at a corpse of a stranger instead of a family member?

Reactions: 5 users
You imagine the pretty white coat you will receive and you imagine all the good you will be doing for society, but what you don’t imagine is the pain you will endure during the process. You’re well aware that you will be dissecting a cadaver during the course of your studies, but what you don’t imagine is that you will be doing so the day of your grandmother’s funeral. Most could not even fathom the thought and would view this process as rather grotesque, but it is the life that we chose. The life of knowing that you yourself must endure pain to be able to rid the pain from others someday.

I am writing this in hopes that other medical students will take the seriousness of their anatomy studies far more seriously, because I sure didn’t before this day. We are blessed to be given someone’s grandparent, mother, father, sibling and friend. Our studies are incredibly difficult, but I can’t even fathom the difficulty that went into the decision to give up his or her body for YOU.

We are given one life, and we are fortunate for the life of being student doctors.

Best,

Student Doctor

Class of 2019
tumblr_mircy0F4vq1ru20q5o1_250.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Can you make money with that student Doctor title?

Reactions: 2 users
Why is being sad for OP's grandma (my condolences, truly) supposed to make me grateful I sat through anatomy lab? I'm not making the leap.

Why is being sad for OP's grandma (my condolences, truly) supposed to make me grateful I sat through anatomy lab? I'm not making the leap.
Because it's all connected. Tensegrity.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe this guy went to see his grandmother's corpse and then went to dissect the other one later.

Also - if you think this is pain, wait till residency.

There are times where I look back on the halcyon days of anatomy labs and path lectures and smile fondly.

I think the OP is going through a lot of difficult emotions right now. It's probably making him feel worse to be ridiculed after pouring out his heart on here. He can never go to the funeral now, it's over. Rubbing it in that he didn't go is a bit cruel in my opinion.

That said, I agree with the underlying message here that he could have perhaps taken the day off to go to the funeral or the message that some things are not worth giving up for medical school commitments. But what if the funeral was a plane ride away? A lot could have factored into this decision besides foolishness.

I mean, I wouldn't go to my grandmother's funeral unless it was convenient because we haven't spoken aside from once in two and a half decades, and during that conversation she proceeded to lay into me for not believing all of her Fox News nonsense. But if you were close with your grandparent, pretty sure you can take the day off. Just put one in for it, ain't gonna break anyone's heart.

You imagine the ridiculously silly, stubby little white coat you will receive and you imagine all the time you'll someday be wasting away on paperwork as gomers circle the drain, but what you don’t imagine is the pain you will endure during the process. You’re well aware that you will be dissecting a cadaver during the course of your studies, but what you don’t imagine is that you will be doing so the day of the release of Fallout 4. Most could not even fathom the thought and would view this process as rather grotesque, but it is the life that we chose. The life of knowing that you yourself must endure pain to be able to maximize meaningless metrics and collect a paycheck someday.

I am writing this in hopes that other medical students will take their journey more seriously, because I sure didn’t before this day. We are blessed to be given First Aid, UWorld, and Pathoma, but at what cost? Our studies are incredibly difficult, but most can't even fathom what you give up for them. Fallout 4 is but the first sacrifice of many YOU will give in the quest to one day placate the government and hospital administration.

We are given one life, and we're spending the best years of it being student doctors.

Best,

MJ

Class of 2018

Reactions: 9 users
A lot of the ppl who are flaming op probably would go to a funeral, but are probably the same type of people who barely had any relationship with their grandparents at all... It's more than just going to a funeral. Sometimes people live too far away, sometimes making it just doesn't happen. But I'll be damned if that is more important than the time shared while that loved one was still alive. Stop patting yourself on the back and get back to reading, you nerds! :)

Everyone should be grateful.
Truthfully though, everyone should be grateful to be where they're at. It is a privilege to train to be a physician, cynical as we can be about the process. There's few other things I'd rather do with my life, and none I'd be willing to give up these years for. Except maybe being an astronaut. Man space is cool.

Reactions: 1 users
Truthfully though, everyone should be grateful to be where they're at. It is a privilege to train to be a physician, cynical as we can be about the process. There's few other things I'd rather do with my life, and none I'd be willing to give up these years for. Except maybe being an astronaut. Man space is cool.

I hear NASA is hiring...

I hear NASA is hiring...
They actually are. Our Dean, Dr. Polk, is leaving us to go back and work in the office of the chief health and medical officer for NASA. I'm kinda bummed about it.

Uhhhh, "Man Space?" :annoyed::p

They actually are. Our Dean, Dr. Polk, is leaving us to go back and work in the office of the chief health and medical officer for NASA. I'm kinda bummed about it.

When I interviewed there (DMU) , he told us he had worked there previously. So, he is going back again?

For realz? ****. Dr. Polk was awesome

Yeah he's leaving. We just found out this week. They're in the process of finding a new dean now. I'm not sure as to what that will mean for our school. I know that he has a few months transition to assure the best in new leadership.

All that aside, I think it's great that he's going to hold such a respectable position in NASA. He makes me proud to be apart of the osteopathic community.

You imagine the ridiculously silly, stubby little white coat you will receive and you imagine all the time you'll someday be wasting away on paperwork as gomers circle the drain, but what you don’t imagine is the pain you will endure during the process. You’re well aware that you will be dissecting a cadaver during the course of your studies, but what you don’t imagine is that you will be doing so the day of the release of Fallout 4. Most could not even fathom the thought and would view this process as rather grotesque, but it is the life that we chose. The life of knowing that you yourself must endure pain to be able to maximize meaningless metrics and collect a paycheck someday.

I am writing this in hopes that other medical students will take their journey more seriously, because I sure didn’t before this day. We are blessed to be given First Aid, UWorld, and Pathoma, but at what cost? Our studies are incredibly difficult, but most can't even fathom what you give up for them. Fallout 4 is but the first sacrifice of many YOU will give in the quest to one day placate the government and hospital administration.

We are given one life, and we're spending the best years of it being student doctors.

Best,

MJ

Class of 2018

Fallout 4!!! Why'd you have to remind me.. I'm trying to study here.

OP, I thought your post was very thoughtful. I am happy that you will be a doctor soon. You will be the type of doctor that patients will have a real connection with because you truly care. Those who are leaving nasty comments are too blind to see their own ignorance. They have to resort to playground teasing to make themselves feel better about their lack of meaning in life.

As in, all of space that isn't the kitchen, obviously ;):p

While some of us like the kitchen, we don't necessarily want to live in that space. I'm sure they could shoot some barefoot and pregnant females up into the kitchen part of man space.:rolleyes::D