You’ve been made, all 10 of you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You do seem disgruntled.

Thank you for the free consultation, doctor. I think it may be due to T rubrum fungus associated encephalopathy from aerosolized exposure during total toenail replacement surgery. Does anyone know if I can file for permanent disability?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the free consultation, doctor. I think it may be due to T rubrum fungus associated encephalopathy from aerosolized exposure during total toenail replacement surgery. Does anyone know if I can file for permanent disability?
OK. I didn't mean to antagonize you. BTW, I just received a phone call 10 minutes ago, asking if I would be interested in a job. As I said, MD grads are buyers, not sellers.

FWIW, I got a random message on my linkedin last week about working for healthdrive. So obviously there's a certain kind of demand for my services...

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
1679929720696.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It was definitely templated, but nothing about my surgical awesomeness 😭😭😭
I got that email once. It was hilarious. Obviously a toenail cutting job but the email tried to stroke my ego on how great of a surgeon I was. It was totally a scripted mass email they send to any DPM email they can get.

I didn't say anything like that. I don't think any new Podiatry Colleges should be opened. You do seem disgruntled. Why is that?
Yes, lots of disgruntled docs on here “professing the truth” about the profession as if they speak for the masses just like the MD/DO forums. If only they would channel their energy for good…

Yes, lots of disgruntled docs on here “professing the truth” about the profession as if they speak for the masses just like the MD/DO forums. If only they would channel their energy for good…

I agree 100%. Gotta channel that energy into saving lives at 2am in OR as a foot & ankle surgeon.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
We kinda do as we represent what is going on. You also said you're a lifelong VAer and doing mostly admin and working for certifying boards. Lucky those days of nail jail and nights on the pus bus are behind you.

Reactions: 1 users
We kinda do as we represent what is going on. You also said you're a lifelong VAer and doing mostly admin and working for certifying boards. Lucky those days of nail jail and nights on the pus bus are behind you.
Yes, I've definitely progressed to more admin at the VA and enjoy my non-VA work tremendously. However, to clarify, I don't work for or with either of the certifying boards. I'm on call this week, fully expect overnight calls and have never seen myself the way others do on this site as being in "nail jail" or dealing with a "pus bus". I'm proud of the work I do caring for veterans, whatever that work is. I also represent what is going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree 100%. Gotta channel that energy into saving lives at 2am in OR as a foot & ankle surgeon.
I'm trying to guess at you level of honesty or sarcasm. Based on your history of posts, it seems the above is likely sarcasm. Myself and my colleagues are in the OR at 2:00 saving lives. Our patients (veterans in my case) deserve to have providers like us with decades of experience giving them the best shot at saving a leg, and yes, saving their lives. The work I do and the service I provide to those who have already given so much for our country is extremely satisfying.

I'm trying to guess at you level of honesty or sarcasm. Based on your history of posts, it seems the above is likely sarcasm. Myself and my colleagues are in the OR at 2:00 saving lives. Our patients (veterans in my case) deserve to have providers like us with decades of experience giving them the best shot at saving a leg, and yes, saving their lives. The work I do and the service I provide to those who have already given so much for our country is extremely satisfying.

Oh no doubt. Decades of experience with toe amputations is critical when it comes to saving lives at 2AM in the OR.

• Haha
I get it time is tissue....but come on we are talking about a foot. This doesn't need to be done at 2 am.

Edit :. I do commend you commitment to veterans and providing them care they earned.

Last edited:
I get it time is tissue....but come on we are talking about a foot. This doesn't need to be done at 2 am.
You're forgetting that this is a VA...so the room set up probably started at 2 PM when the scrub tech got back from their 3 hour lunch break

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
If only every VA DPM had your good work ethic/attitude... the ones near me are absolutely terrible, I inherit their patients all the time (poor wound care, inappropriate diagnosis, etc....).

You're forgetting that this is a VA...so the room set up probably started at 2 PM when the scrub tech got back from their 3 hour lunch break
Not even close. Never actually. We are a 1A facility with amazing dedicated staff. The scenario above just doesn’t happen, ever. Your experience is yours.

If only every VA DPM had your good work ethic/attitude... the ones near me are absolutely terrible, I inherit their patients all the time (poor wound care, inappropriate diagnosis, etc....).
DPM/MD/DO/DDS/PA/OPTO etc etc etc. unfortunately all professions have instances similar to yours. We are not alone. I’m not going to point at or name facilities in our area. It’s just not necessary or productive.

Edit :. I do commend you commitment to veterans and providing them care they earned.
Thank you. I’m not alone though. I would challenge that there are many extremely advanced and competent podiatrists within the VA system and we’re always looking for more.

I’d rather take a toe at 2:00 am and get the pt stabilized early than half a foot hours later. It DOES matter.

Thank you. I’m not alone though. I would challenge that there are many extremely advanced and competent podiatrists within the VA system and we’re always looking for more.

I’d rather take a toe at 2:00 am and get the pt stabilized early than half a foot hours later. It DOES matter.
I would argue that a forefoot with gas gangrene is not long for this world whether you take the toe at 2 am or not....but I do commend you as well for your commitment and optimism about Podiatry. I can't say it's well-placed, but it is commendable.

Oh no doubt. Decades of experience with toe amputations is critical when it comes to saving lives at 2AM in the OR.
Well, isn’t it? Don’t you want someone who has done this a thousand times and knows what they’re doing? Your comment seems to indicate it’s a menial task easily completed by anyone. You can’t deny that there is a lot more to an emergency case at 2:00 am than JUST completing the technical task of removing a toe.

I would argue that a forefoot with gas gangrene is not long for this world whether you take the toe at 2 am or not....but I do commend you as well for your commitment and optimism about Podiatry. I can't say it's well-placed, but it is commendable.
How is it not well-placed? My amazing and lucrative career in this field has provided me with incredible opportunities and a great deal of satisfaction. This site is riddled with pessimism sarcasm and controversy. I cannot think of a better forum to offer additional insight into this career. It may oppose and contradict the vast majority of comments and postings, but it is an absolute truth and deserves to be heard.

Lee Rogers, and others like him, no doubt, have multiple public and private profiles on this site, stirring the pot and creating controversy. I’m suspect of any post touting the greatness of a board president who just had half his board resign. These people work closely with him and know him above and beyond his public persona. It would suit this forum well to tease out and eliminate those duplicate profiles.

• Hmm
How is it not well-placed? My amazing and lucrative career in this field has provided me with incredible opportunities and a great deal of satisfaction. This site is riddled with pessimism sarcasm and controversy. I cannot think of a better forum to offer additional insight into this career. It may oppose and contradict the vast majority of comments and postings, but it is an absolute truth and deserves to be heard.

Lee Rogers, and others like him, no doubt, have multiple public and private profiles on this site, stirring the pot and creating controversy. I’m suspect of any post touting the greatness of a board president who just had half his board resign. These people work closely with him and know him above and beyond his public persona. It would suit this forum well to tease out and eliminate those duplicate profiles.

Just curious, what was tuition when you graduated? Did you have many classmates with over 300k in student loans? I know a bunch, it's pretty common now. I don't think there are many that would disagree that the work can be satisfying, but simply that it is a poor return on investment.

2 AM toe amps are probably not a good example of saving lives, which it is certainly not, but I am sure there are plenty of train wreck pts that come in with severe sepsis from their gas gangrene. These things happen but you have to draw a fine line between what is really a surgical emergency and what is just stroking ones own ego.

I wonder why I got looks from anesthesia when i said the gas gangrene in the toe needed to go bc i was taught in dpm school it's a surgical emergency. I showed them the PI manual and said the aortic dissection can wait til after. #savingdiabeticlives

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
and what is just stroking ones own ego.

Or just a complete lack of understanding of basic surgical management principles.

Again, I argue that if a patient is so floridly septic that they needed a podiatrist to take them to the OR in the middle of the night, then they probably at least needed a TMA or just needed their leg off in the first place…

A toe amp in the middle of the night is Comedy Central.

Reactions: 5 users
Look sooner is better than later for any infection we can all agree.

So much depends on the employment situation, resources and culture where you work/operate.

Some places there are multiple crews working in the evening at a hospital. The could care less what you add you just might get bumped and wait.

Some places the doctors working on call have time off built in their schedule the next day or do not have clinic the next day etc.

Some do cases at night because they are in private practice and have clinic the next day and waiting would ruin their income for a poorly insured toe amputation.

Some places you will really rock the boat to add on a typical toe amputation after hours and the foot better be the size of a basketball, with highly elevated labs and gas on an X-ray etc. Do you have to rock the boat sometimes…..sure. Can most things, most of time time wait until 7am…..yes.

My amazing and lucrative career in this field has provided me with incredible opportunities and a great deal of satisfaction.
“Lucrative” isn’t a word that many (any?) MD/DOs would use to describe their pay and career as a VA provider. Which is what most of us are saying. It is sad that a Podiatrist would call $160-220k “lucrative.” Especially if you are saving lives at 2am in an OR. Gen surg, and Ortho, and Urology, and Vascular would be incredibly disappointed with VA compensation. But in our profession it is BETTER than the average job. It’s not something most of us would be bragging about to prospective students. I get that you love the work, have had easy hours, enjoyable lifestyle. But lucrative?

This site is riddled with pessimism sarcasm and controversy.

Did you have a podiatrist rescind your job offer after having a contract, 2 months before graduating residency? Have you ever worked for a podiatrist that stole from you? Have you had any of your Podiatry bosses change surgical hardware for your cases behind your back? All because it was hardware in an MSO and she made profit if you used it? Have you had to spend months cutting toenails in a nursing home because there aren’t even real locums jobs available when you were between jobs? Have you spent an entire year working as an attending only to be paid less than a Physician Assistant?

I have. And I guarantee there are more people with experiences similar to mine (aka associates in podiatry groups) than there are VA podiatrists. So the pessimism (at least) is earned and not surprising when you consider a large minority (if not a majority) of young podiatrists have experienced some variation of the above issues. Our clown show “leadership” has earned the sarcasm.

Lee Rogers, and others like him, no doubt, have multiple public and private profiles on this site, stirring the pot and creating controversy.
Again, he has been one of the most podiatry positive posters in this board. The ABPM was the first board to encourage members to create SDN accounts to combat all of us naysayers. If he “stirred the pot” it was because he was arguing FOR more schools, more graduates, more positive professional outlooks, etc. To claim otherwise is just factually incorrect.

I guess he could have multiple accounts, but it would be A) difficult to get away with if you actually reported suspected duplicate accounts to moderators and B) very few people on here are actually anonymous. It doesn’t take many posts that contain tiny bits of personal information to figure out who somebody is. I’ve never once met or spoken privately with half of the posters here but I could tell you exactly who they are.

It would suit this forum well to tease out and eliminate those duplicate profiles.

Mods can see your IP address and I’ve even heard of folks having issues getting around bans with VPNs (though that could just be a cookie/cache thing). I don’t think duplicate accounts are anywhere near as prevalent as you seem to believe.

• Care
Or just a complete lack of understanding of basic surgical management principles.

Again, I argue that if a patient is so floridly septic that they needed a podiatrist to take them to the OR in the middle of the night, then they probably at least needed a TMA or just needed their leg off in the first place…

A toe amp in the middle of the night is Comedy Central.
You're heavy handed with your criticism and sarcasm often, but here you are absolutely correct.

Just curious, what was tuition when you graduated? Did you have many classmates with over 300k in student loans? I know a bunch, it's pretty common now. I don't think there are many that would disagree that the work can be satisfying, but simply that it is a poor return on investment.
I honestly don’t remember the tuition costs at that time. I came out with 200,000 in debt which included 30,000 from private school undergrad. I had a colleague who stated her debt was over 350,000 after she spent five years at case western reserve prior to pod school. My residency stipend was 27,000 for three years. I did a PPMR, a PMSR 12 and a fellowship. At that time 20 years ago it seemed starting salaries were around 70,000 but mine was much more than that with the VA. It’s all relative since both stipends and salaries are more than double or triple those amounts these days. Tuition has not doubled or tripled. My loans were paid off effective 2017- the loan repayment program started 2007. I had no problem being the primary breadwinner for the family and paying for the student loans and a house and everything else. Honestly, there’s nothing special about me either. I am a run-of-the-mill non-RRA, podiatrist. I was neither the top of the class, nor an aggressive overachiever, being largely unaware of everything Podiatry. I’m joyfully average with the exception of graduating with honors undergrad, and I think people on here who advise low GPA, low MCAT scoring candidates are spot on with respect to the fact that if they’re having a difficult time in undergrad, medical school is going to crush them. I do disagree with the advice that I’ve seen about steering low performing candidates towards nursing because I’ve seen some of the challenges, nurses face, and they need the most advanced candidates they can find as well.
I wonder why I got looks from anesthesia when i said the gas gangrene in the toe needed to go bc i was taught in dpm school it's a surgical emergency. I showed them the PI manual and said the aortic dissection can wait til after. #savingdiabeticlives
again, it’s all relative and that’s a little ignorant. I had a single anesthesiologist over the last 20 years once tell me that nobody ever died from a foot infection. He was terminated because he was toxic, ignorant, demeaning, and egotistical. If we could get rid of egos, and just focus on patient care, and what our profession succeeds at, the discourse could be a lot more pleasant. Reality sucks in many areas of employment. These days the medical profession is no exception. Take the medical school graduate who wants to be an orthopedic surgeon and ends up as an internist making less than me but with the same student loan debt.
“Lucrative” isn’t a word that many (any?) MD/DOs would use to describe their pay and career as a VA provider. Which is what most of us are saying. It is sad that a Podiatrist would call $160-220k “lucrative.” Especially if you are saving lives at 2am in an OR. Gen surg, and Ortho, and Urology, and Vascular would be incredibly disappointed with VA compensation. But in our profession it is BETTER than the average job. It’s not something most of us would be bragging about to prospective students. I get that you love the work, have had easy hours, enjoyable lifestyle. But lucrative?

Did you have a podiatrist rescind your job offer after having a contract, 2 months before graduating residency? Have you ever worked for a podiatrist that stole from you? Have you had any of your Podiatry bosses change surgical hardware for your cases behind your back? All because it was hardware in an MSO and she made profit if you used it? Have you had to spend months cutting toenails in a nursing home because there aren’t even real locums jobs available when you were between jobs? Have you spent an entire year working as an attending only to be paid less than a Physician Assistant?

I have. And I guarantee there are more people with experiences similar to mine (aka associates in podiatry groups) than there are VA podiatrists. So the pessimism (at least) is earned and not surprising when you consider a large minority (if not a majority) of young podiatrists have experienced some variation of the above issues. Our clown show “leadership” has earned the sarcasm.

Again, he has been one of the most podiatry positive posters in this board. The ABPM was the first board to encourage members to create SDN accounts to combat all of us naysayers. If he “stirred the pot” it was because he was arguing FOR more schools, more graduates, more positive professional outlooks, etc. To claim otherwise is just factually incorrect.

I guess he could have multiple accounts, but it would be A) difficult to get away with if you actually reported suspected duplicate accounts to moderators and B) very few people on here are actually anonymous. It doesn’t take many posts that contain tiny bits of personal information to figure out who somebody is. I’ve never once met or spoken privately with half of the posters here but I could tell you exactly who they are.

Mods can see your IP address and I’ve even heard of folks having issues getting around bans with VPNs (though that could just be a cookie/cache thing). I don’t think duplicate accounts are anywhere near as prevalent as you seem to believe.
the salaries you quote are current starting salaries for podiatrists- including new grads. Salaries in the VA have shot up over the last few years. From hourly to admin to nursing to physicians salaries are within 5% of private practice and set to increase more. Then add in bonuses.

No, I never experienced any of what you shared. These nitemare stories are true for many professions. Business partners can suck. It is not the sole narrative.

I’ve been at the table with some pretty amazing organizations with leaders who are immensely dedicated and hardworking.

No, I never experienced any of what you shared. These nitemare stories are true for many professions. Business partners can suck.

Exactly. Your professional experience is a tiny % of what podiatry graduates as a whole will experience. And these nightmare stories are nowhere near as prevalent in other medical specialties. Even if an ortho got “screwed,” they generally made at least $500k per year in the process.

Business partners? Lol. You think the issue is business “partners?” Most of us never make it to partnership. We are associates. Employees. This isn’t a business partnership issue

the salaries you quote are current starting salaries for podiatrists- including new grads. Salaries in the VA have shot up over the last few years.

The salaries I quote are only that high for new hires over the past couple of years. Over the time you have been practicing they were even less generous. Again, the word “lucrative” and “VA employment” are contradictory for every medical specialty other than podiatry. And I would be surprised if most VA podiatrists said their salaries were “lucrative.” The pay is certainly better now, and much closer to what a private practice owner or hospital/MSG makes compared to, say, 5 years ago. But the desirability of VA podiatry positions (especially when you compare those job openings to many MD/DO positions that go unfilled) says more about Our profession’s job market than it does about how wonderful VA employment is.

When is the last time you searched for new employment?

@podgal2003

In residency and even in practice, I have zero problem doing a quick block and doing a bedside decompressing I&D, partial ray amps and leaving it open, either in ED or bedside. Obviously ED is easier.Takes 15 mins and avoids an OR trip because IMO, even a foot with gas can be addressed by the above and a thorough bedside betadine irrigation. Book it for a formal washout if not better the next day.

Majority are neuropathic so makes it even easier. I hope this tip can save you from there 2am OR trips because that can’t be healthy for your well being.

Reactions: 4 users
@podgal2003

In residency and even in practice, I have zero problem doing a quick block and doing a bedside decompressing I&D, partial ray amps and leaving it open, either in ED or bedside. Obviously ED is easier.Takes 15 mins and avoids an OR trip because IMO, even a foot with gas can be addressed by the above and a thorough bedside betadine irrigation. Book it for a formal washout if not better the next day.

Majority are neuropathic so makes it even easier. I hope this tip can save you from there 2am OR trips because that can’t be healthy for your well being.
Yup. I have taken toes off at bedside before. An aggressive bedside I and D can buy you 12 to 18 hours or more.

Can confirm. None of my PGY3 seniors are signing with the VA it’s chill but the comp is better literally anywhere else

Edit: I’m a DO sorry I didn’t wanna confuse anyone. Carry on

Last edited:
@podgal2003

We do that when we can for sure. It’s pretty common practice.

Can confirm. None of my PGY3 seniors are signing with the VA it’s chill but the comp is better literally anywhere else
That’s great to hear! That’s what our grads experience as well. I just thought it was different after reading posts on here. I guess my idea of lucrative is different than others.

Yup. I have taken toes off at bedside before. An aggressive bedside I and D can buy you 12 to 18 hours or more.

I still believe majority of these patients benefit more from a one and done TMA. Why piece meal s*^%

That’s great to hear! That’s what our grads experience as well. I just thought it was different after reading posts on here. I guess my idea of lucrative is different than others.
Just so people are aware. Prehealth is not a podiatrist.

I still believe majority of these patients benefit more from a one and done TMA. Why piece meal s*^%
Well you don't do DPC...so why would you know to do the toe first then TMA later....

@podgal2003

I think this is great stuff, and I too would never do toe amps at 2am, let alone after 6pm, I rather feed them and do it the next day. I mean we don’t truly know how much tissue is lost in 24 hours when they’re on abx. 1cm? Doubt it. What if it’s 5 mm? Will it make a meaningful difference to save 5mm of a toe?

Well you don't do DPC...so why would you know to do the toe first then TMA later....
I was thinking more of people that post lobster claw and field goal post feet on social media

• Haha
@podgal2003

What equipment do you use to cut the bone for a partial ray amp in the ED?

What equipment do you use to cut the bone for a partial ray amp in the ED?
I would go borrow a sag saw from the OR. Only did this twice during residency, got kinda messy in the ED and nurses lost their minds while observing.

**also forgot I would also use nail nippers to take bone out/off too, quick and easy.

Otherwise I disarticulate the entire toe at whatever level (IPJ, MPJ) send off specimen with wound culture, flush and pack with betadine. In and out. You end up doing the same thing if you took to OR anyways.

Last edited:
I would go borrow a sag saw from the OR. Only did this twice during residency, got kinda messy in the ED and nurses lost their minds while observing.

**also forgot I would also use nail nippers to take bone out/off too, quick and easy.

Otherwise I disarticulate the entire toe at whatever level (IPJ, MPJ) send off specimen with wound culture, flush and pack with betadine. In and out. You end up doing the same thing if you took to OR anyways.
Ive taken toes off in the ER and in my clinic a few times. Most of the clinic toe amps were in under or uninsured patients who didnt want to pay for hospitalization. I took a hallux off once. That was pretty wild to do in the office with the patient watching. Dude took it like a champ tho and it healed.

Not sure I would bust out a sagittal saw tho. Thats next level!

I think this is great stuff, and I too would never do toe amps at 2am, let alone after 6pm, I rather feed them and do it the next day. I mean we don’t truly know how much tissue is lost in 24 hours when they’re on abx. 1cm? Doubt it. What if it’s 5 mm? Will it make a meaningful difference to save 5mm of a toe?
Yeah I though my situation was bad waiting several hours after clinic to take a toe off.
No way im doing it at 2AM. Not happening. Antibiotics and next day available.
Surprised the anesthesia department allows this to happen. Mine would not.

Yeah I though my situation was bad waiting several hours after clinic to take a toe off.
No way im doing it at 2AM. Not happening. Antibiotics and next day available.
Surprised the anesthesia department allows this to happen. Mine would not.

I think the anesthesia department allows it when a surgeon with decades of experience is saving lives in the OR with an emergent 2AM toe amputation.