You’ve been made, all 10 of you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only thing in my mind that justifies a 2 am OR trip is a true necrotizing infection where the entire foot may not make it til the morning. These cases you truly can prevent a BKA (sometimes). Even those can probably be temporized in the ED until morning but best practices would call for urgent OR trip.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Only thing in my mind that justifies a 2 am OR trip is a true necrotizing infection where the entire foot may not make it til the morning. These cases you truly can prevent a BKA (sometimes). Even those can probably be temporized in the ED until morning but best practices would call for urgent OR trip.

Agree. What percentage of diabetic foot infections are truly aggressive necrotizing infections?

Yea agree, some podiatrists are afraid to take a patient to OR for nec fasc when their BPs are low needing vasopressors, and they will undertreat the infection, and undertreating a necrotizing infection is when legs are coming off and people are dying, not from toes on stable patients

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the anesthesia department allows it when a surgeon with decades of experience is saving lives in the OR with an emergent 2AM toe amputation.
Look back to see where the "2 AM toe amp" overly dramatic example you are continuing started in this latest thread. We all know that isolated toe amps can be handled a couple different ways. Your above comment isn't necessary and is slightly ridiculous. Anonymity allows for random acts of being mean for no reason. Do better.

Look back to see where the "2 AM toe amp" overly dramatic example you are continuing started in this latest thread. We all know that isolated toe amps can be handled a couple different ways. Your above comment isn't necessary and is slightly ridiculous. Anonymity allows for random acts of being mean for no reason. Do better.

I’m not really sure what you’re talking about. But anyway I don’t have decades of experience so I’m trying to learn more about saving lives in the OR as a podiatrist.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I’m not really sure what you’re talking about. But anyway I don’t have decades of experience so I’m trying to learn more about saving lives in the OR as a podiatrist.

Well remember we all went into this field so we dont have to deal with life and death! Thanks APMA website for telling me how great of a lifestyle this field is as a primary motivating factor!

Well remember we all went into this field so we dont have to deal with life and death! Thanks APMA website for telling me how great of a lifestyle this field is as a primary motivating factor!
Unless you work in a VA...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Unless you work in a VA...
My goodness you guys are entertaining… you know, as well as I do that many providers in our profession, VA and non-VA, deal with a high levels of comorbidity. There are just as many VA and non-VA that have positioned themselves where they don’t deal with life and death situations. The profession provides options that allow exposure to the full scope of care according to the individuals desires. This is what APMA points to, the ability to shape your career in a way that limits your exposure to seriously ill patients. Transplant and other surgeons as well as many of the medical specialties can’t do that. You get people on her like me saying positive things about their job and you just can’t help yourselves. All you want is your controlled negative vitriol. Passive aggressive comments completely derail your credibility when you actually present something of substance.

Reactions: 1 users
My goodness you guys are entertaining… you know, as well as I do that many providers in our profession, VA and non-VA, deal with a high levels of comorbidity. There are just as many VA and non-VA that have positioned themselves where they don’t deal with life and death situations. The profession provides options that allow exposure to the full scope of care according to the individuals desires. This is what APMA points to, the ability to shape your career in a way that limits your exposure to seriously ill patients. Transplant and other surgeons as well as many of the medical specialties can’t do that. You get people on her like me saying positive things about their job and you just can’t help yourselves. All you want is your controlled negative vitriol. Passive aggressive comments completely derail your credibility when you actually present something of substance.
I get and (mostly) agree with what youre saying.
But the I’m a hero amputating a toe at 2am is a face palm. Thats not vitriol. Thats facepalm.
How many toe amps at 2AM have you done?

Ive done plenty of 2AM surgeries. True emergencies.
Never have I done a toe amp at 2AM.
Never will I do a toe amp at 2AM.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
So I try not to discuss surgery on SDN because it's not what I'm on here to talk about but...

Toe amps in the OR are stupid even if it's 730am and the hospital serves you warm crepes in the lounge after. Ever since Medicare changed it to a zero day global, the reimbursement absolutely plummeted. I routinely amputate toes in the office where reimbursement justifies my time.

Inject anesthesia, sign consent, setup sterile instruments
Esmarch bandage around anke for tq
Betadine prep
Fishmouth incision, cut edl,fdl
Bone cutting forceps thru prox phalanx ($400 at medline)
Close

5min or 7 min if I want to send bone for culture. You can disarticulate too but it's more work (intrinsic tendons) and the skin doesn't heal as well over a clean met head vs bleeding trabecular bone.

You can't always do this, if it's terrible cellulitis with pus, closure is out of the question until they've had IV antibiotics. But if it's only a little red without much edema, you can just cut it off and give broad spectrum po antibiotics and avoid hospitalization completely in many cases.

"But Dr Smasher, this is barbaric!" By definition, anything with a zero day global is a minor procedure. At the tender age of 14 I had my wisdom teeth removed in an office setting while under sedation. And besides, if Medicare didn't want us amputating toes in clinic, why do they pay us so much more for it?

Anyway, that's enough surgery talk from me. We need to discuss the growing threat of terbinafine-resistant dermatophytosis.

Reactions: 6 users
So I try not to discuss surgery on SDN because it's not what I'm on here to talk about but...

Toe amps in the OR are stupid even if it's 730am and the hospital serves you warm crepes in the lounge after. Ever since Medicare changed it to a zero day global, the reimbursement absolutely plummeted. I routinely amputate toes in the office where reimbursement justifies my time.

Betadine prep
Close

5min or 7 min if I want to send bone for culture. You can disarticulate too but it's more work (intrinsic tendons) and the skin doesn't heal as well over a clean met head vs bleeding trabecular bone.

You can't always do this, if it's terrible cellulitis with pus, closure is out of the question until they've had IV antibiotics. But if it's only a little red without much edema, you can just cut it off and give broad spectrum po antibiotics and avoid hospitalization completely in many cases.

"But Dr Smasher, this is barbaric!" By definition, anything with a zero day global is a minor procedure. At the tender age of 14 I had my wisdom teeth removed in an office setting while under sedation. And besides, if Medicare didn't want us amputating toes in clinic, why do they pay us so much more for it?

Anyway, that's enough surgery talk from me. We need to discuss the growing threat of terbinafine-resistant dermatophytosis.

Nice, saving lives in the office at 2PM!

• Haha
To be fair, which we at SDN are known for, I don't believe those are the type of amps in question....but back to our normal coverage....tune into the meme thread for some hot takes on this.

The profession provides options that allow exposure to the full scope of care according to the individuals desires. This is what APMA points to, the ability to shape your career in a way that limits your exposure to seriously ill patients.
We need your optimism on here, it balances things out. I do feel the 2 am amputation mocking has been played out.

That being said the ability to shape one’s career in podiatry is often difficult and not easy. It just is not, at least compared to many other healthcare professions. I know of an RN who makes a great living working 2 full time remote work jobs simultaneously and has never done one day of patient care with her degree. I know of an ER doctor who had so many job offers he made a spreadsheet with pros and cons and even had items like teaching residents as category. He settled on a 30 hour job with full benefits in his desired location. Coincidentally his wife was a lawyer, probably an equally intelligent person actually, and and she could only a find a mediocre job or two. The lawyer scenario is more like podiatry.

If one has better training and is more geographically open they might have more options.

For the typical podiatry residency graduate they will start as an associate. Maybe 10 percent straight out of residency get a hospital, ortho or even VA job now that they become more competitive. Maybe 15 percent, if we lump in fellowships and label them as part of the graduating resident pool. Maybe another 10 percent at some point in their career get an organizational job if they remain geographically open.

That leaves about 75 percent that will be in private practice. Many of those also desired organizational jobs. 7 years of training and lots of job applications got them nowhere. Many will buy in somewhere, purchase a practice or open their own practice. About 25 percent of this profession will never have an organizational job, have one of the few good PP jobs or be an owner. They will jump associate jobs, mobile podiatry jobs and some of those will leave the profession. No one went into podiatry to be at the bottom 25 percent of this profession. The bottom 25 percent of the MD, DO, PA, NP, CRNA, AA, RN jobs are still pretty good. Many would not have signed up if they knew how poor the pay would be in the early years, how difficult the job market would be and how geographically open one often has to be.

As far as private practice there are not that many career paths. Most are not make a living doing things like sports medicine. Almost all are more like the IPED podiatrists. Some do a bit more diabetic foot than others and some do a few more complex surgeries, but the way they practice is very similar.

Should one attempt to practice how they want? Of course…..will most be able to practice how they desire? Probably not.

As far as a transplant surgeon they decided on that career. They were not forced into it. It was not the only job they could find. They are likely in an academic setting with lots of fellows and residents. Yes they still have limited notice for surgeries that can happen at anytime. They could totally dial back their career if they want. Lots of options. They are jobs many places where they could make 200,000 plus just doing things as simple as hernias and lumps and bumps or if they want they could work for insurance company doing no patient care making 6 figures.

One can promote the positive aspects of this profession……they do exist at least for some. The negative aspects discussed on here also exist in podiatry and they are much more than just blowing it off as all professions have their negative aspects. Podiatry has larger problems than that. This also needs to be mentioned to prospective students.

As air bud said we are, as a whole, pretty fair on here. There are only a couple really negative regulars that try not to be balanced. Unfortunately being fair does involve discussing things that our organizations would prefer to pretend does not exist. We have serious saturation and one should think long and hard before committing to this profession because of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Betadine prep
Close

I had a clinic assignment and I put terbinafine for dermatophyte infection.

jordan.jpg

• Haha
I get and (mostly) agree with what youre saying.
But the I’m a hero amputating a toe at 2am is a face palm. Thats not vitriol. Thats facepalm.
How many toe amps at 2AM have you done?

Ive done plenty of 2AM surgeries. True emergencies.
Never have I done a toe amp at 2AM.
Never will I do a toe amp at 2AM.
My point exactly. Plenty of emergencies. Rare that it’s a single toe.

I'm perhaps missing something - did you get shade from an attending for suggesting you'd treat onychomycosis with terbinafine or what are you telling us?
Nah only brought it up since Adam Smasher mentioned the "growing threat of terbinafine-resistant dermatophytosis".

We need to take this seriously before it overcomes us all

• Haha
We need to take this seriously before it overcomes us all
Yeah, a Podiatry version of The last of Us. It all started down at The villages in Florida.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I feel like no one saw my Last of Us podiatry meme. It contains the true origin story of the pandemic.
Yes, I remember that's what prompted me on this. Just remember memes stay in the mean thread. More work coming tonight, wife is sick so I have some time to myself

Yeah I got in a discussion with him on a different thread about how Podiatry is underpaid compared to other medical subspecs and once I showed him the MGMA data he got all huffy & puffy and threw a tantrum because he realized data doesn't support his cheery outlook on the foot biz.

I have a theory that this was from NobodyDPM who got booted a year or so back.

Yeah I got in a discussion with him on a different thread about how Podiatry is underpaid compared to other medical subspecs and once I showed him the MGMA data he got all huffy & puffy and threw a tantrum because he realized data doesn't support his cheery outlook on the foot biz.

All I know is we need to bring cutswithfury back enough with the bs

• Haha
Well... I do agree that most of us on here are (for the most part) “negative”. Myself included.... but for good reason. We’re not negative about the “job” of podiatry, just the state of job market/“politics” of the profession. I do certainly agree that every profession has its issues, no refuting that.

I for one am happy to see “bigger names” in the profession recently join the conversation... Dr. Shapiro and Deheer, among others. Makes for good discussion.

Reactions: 5 users
Well... I do agree that most of us on here are (for the most part) “negative”. Myself included.... but for good reason. We’re not negative about the “job” of podiatry, just the state of job market/“politics” of the profession. I do certainly agree that every profession has its issues, no refuting that.

I for one am happy to see “bigger names” in the profession recently join the conversation... Dr. Shapiro and Deheer, among others. Makes for good discussion.
Except there’s not usually a discussion with these people. They just hit us with the “haha I’m living good over here suckas, good luck, oh and it was hard in our day too”

• Haha
Except there’s not usually a discussion with these people. They just hit us with the “haha I’m living good over here suckas, good luck, oh and it was hard in our day too”
That’s the only talking point they have. Look I’m making loads of money. I’m happy for you, I’m doing well too but here are my issues. Then it’s like surgical centers and shares. 🥴. It’s a circle.

NobodyDPM could probably just start a new account. Not sure why he’s whining about being banned. And you don’t get banned because you’re supportive of podiatry, you get banned for violating TOS.

If that is/was him and I’m remembering right, it’s just “Kidsfeet” reincarnated. Who was also booted previously. In real life it’s Yaron “Ron” Raducanu. None of you are as anonymous as you think you are…

NobodyDPM could probably just start a new account. Not sure why he’s whining about being banned. And you don’t get banned because you’re supportive of podiatry, you get banned for violating TOS.

If that is/was him and I’m remembering right, it’s just “Kidsfeet” reincarnated. Who was also booted previously. In real life it’s Yaron “Ron” Raducanu. None of you are as anonymous as you think you are…
I think my signature tells everyone who I am… 🤷🏽‍♂️

Hey DPM forum. Long time reader, rare poster. But that is about to change. These posts have helped me greatly from all the way since my college days. Thank you long time posters. It is about time for me to give back to my future colleagues. My planned posts will be geared towards the new guys, not so much the existing podiatrists.

I could probably have made a new thread about this inquiry but it is relatively general internet talk so thought it could fit here.

In short, what are the ramifications of going public on here? As in not being anonymous, and having my identity leaked. I do not underestimate the internet sleuths.

Basically I have a very unique story which in the real world I am very public about and it could be seen in 2 ways, maybe more. In my eyes I want to be seen as a beacon of hope for the directionless students, but then on the other hand the elitist groups might label me a quack. I know this because this is how I am currently viewed by these 2 groups. In this small field I believe I would be recognized.

I also have an agenda to spread with strong opinions about podiatry and medicine in general and would like to spread this knowledge, some of it parroting the same ideas already stated, some of it from a different perspective.

So if there are big risks involved then I will keep it tame. If nobody ever got fired or banned from conferences, then maybe I will feel safe enough to use my free speech.

Last edited:
Hey DPM forum. Long time reader, rare poster. But that is about to change. These posts have helped me greatly from all the way since my college days. Thank you long time posters. It is about time for me to give back to my future colleagues. My planned posts will be geared towards the new guys, not so much the existing podiatrists.

I could probably have made a new thread about this inquiry but it is relatively general internet talk so thought it could fit here.

In short, what are the ramifications of going public on here? As in not being anonymous, and having my identity leaked. I do not underestimate the internet sleuths.

Basically I have a very unique story which in the real world I am very public about and it could be seen in 2 ways, maybe more. In my eyes I want to be seen as a beacon of hope for the directionless students, but then on the other hand the elitist groups might label me a quack. I know this because this is how I am currently viewed but these 2 groups. In this small field I believe I would be recognized.

I also have an agenda to spread with strong opinions about podiatry and medicine in general and would like to spread this knowledge, some of it parroting the same ideas already stated, some of it from a different perspective.

So if there are big risks involved then I will keep it tame. If nobody ever got fired or banned from conferences, then maybe I will feel safe enough to use my free
Please share your story so we can learn from your experiences. If it makes you feel safer, feel free to omit any personal details.

In short, what are the ramifications of going public on here? As in not being anonymous, and having my identity leaked.

They teach us as students, it's a small profession, and people talk. Don't give them any ammunition against you.

Basically I have a very unique story which in the real world I am very public about and it could be seen in 2 ways, maybe more. In my eyes I want to be seen as a beacon of hope for the directionless students, but then on the other hand the elitist groups might label me a quack. I know this because this is how I am currently viewed but these 2 groups. In this small field I believe I would be recognized.

So if there are big risks involved then I will keep it tame. If nobody ever got fired or banned from conferences, then maybe I will feel safe enough to use my free speech.

best to stay anonymous

Podiatric Edge Lord, albeit a reluctant one…

Just spit it out, no one cares

• Haha

Please share your stories. People need to hear what you have to say.

Podiatric Edge Lord, albeit a reluctant one…

Just spit it out, no one cares

Yup

I spend exactly 0% of my day worrying about what other podiatrists may or may not think of me. Your anonymity on here, or lack thereof, is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Yup

I spend exactly 0% of my day worrying about what other podiatrists may or may not think of me. Your anonymity on here, or lack thereof, is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Yep... concur.

Beside, the majority of ppl on SDN know who one another are anyways and exchange convo and job leads and XRs and whatever in PMs or text or etc. That means old users, past users, SDN mods, new users. Podiatry's a pretty small world.

...I can see staying semi-anonymous if a student pre-match; students are unfortunately very catty sometimes. Also, if somebody wants to post abrasive stuff for some crazy reason, I guess don't say who you really are. Overall, that's not most ppl, though. Those ppl (mostly) get banned whether they are overt or hidden about identity. As WCI forum liked to say, "you're not as anonymous as you might think." It is just not hard to rip IP address and signup info to figure out who somebody is or make it hard for them to make duplicate/replace accounts.

... If nobody ever got fired or banned from conferences, then maybe I will feel safe enough to use my free speech.
Huh?

Whether one is semi-vague or open about who they are, it's not too hard to figure out, whether or not you are "outed."

"Fired or banned from conferences?" That is being paranoid, man. There are 100 podiatry conferences - mostly crap - that want your money.

The only true worry for any podiatrist would potentially be hospital privi or jobs or license (or match, for students... some are pretty cutthroat), but you could always just say anything posted wasn't typed by you... it was that you left computer logged in to SDN or whatever (assuming you weren't rude or inflammatory over and over). It would take somebody really harassing you by calling your boss (nobody really cares that much... or they'd probably be the one jeopardizing their own job/status) or it would take repeat legit complaints. Hospitals and state boards and HR depts know people are petty and that there are bogus accusations every day for every stupid reason... usually just spite.

You are not going to lose some hospital job interview or speaking engage or job or insurance contract you've had for years or something for normal posts or opinions on SDN. Like a lot of other SDN users or mods, I have been open with my status since around when I graduated residency... it's more transparent for students or ppl who might want to get in touch. You have nothing to worry about unless you really went on terrible SDN rants or attacked ppl repeatedly or something (same stuff that'd cause problems on any social media or blog... ridiculous political attacks, racism, gender attacks, profanity, threats, etc etc).

But yeah... as was said, nobody really cares. :)

Last edited:
If the day comes that you're up for peer review, and posts surface of you saying that podiatry isn't all skittles and beer and that becoming a podiatrist was not the best life choice you've ever made, it's going to look bad.

Patients don't want an unhappy doctor and other docs don't want to refer to one.

So sign your name, or don't, just know the ramifications.

• Hmm
If the day comes that you're up for peer review, and posts surface of you saying that podiatry isn't all skittles and beer and that becoming a podiatrist was not the best life choice you've ever made, it's going to look bad.

Patients don't want an unhappy doctor and other docs don't want to refer to one.

So sign your name, or don't, just know the ramifications.
This is scare-story stuff, man. ^^
I would love an example of that ever happening. Yes, I know some nurses have lost their jobs for racy InstaGram pics or maybe docs on Twitter using racial slurs or extreme dem/rep attacks is reported to their employ... but this is not akin to that.

In order to initiate a peer review, there has to be event(s) and legit reasoning.
"Jimmy said podiatry fellowships are silly on SDN" or "Tommy down-voted my meme on SDN" is not a reason for peer review.

Bad surgical outcomes, failure to respond to call, failure to round on patients, sexual harassment allegations, fraudulent billing... those are real reasons to initiate a peer review. SDN is just not going to have any bearing there. There are much bigger fish to fry at that point.

Patients are also not reading SDN or attending peer reviews.

...I agree it's a personal choice if one wants to be visible on FB, IG, LinkedIn, whatever... yet secret vs semi-visible vs visible on SDN, but in reality, one should worry much more about their outcomes, local rep, Google reviews, and how they treat patients and office/hospital staff and fellow members of medical staff than staying 100% secret on SDN. It's a discussion forum for a profession and its education processes. It's not going to be a character reference exhibit 1A when you renew privileges or talk to the Rheumatologist down the street.

At the end of the day, being secretive about one's forum identity actually enables more rough and aggressive behavior. People will say and do things they'd probably never consider in real life meetings, conference, hospital, etc environment. The idea of being hidden can actually feed the mob or assassin mentality (gives the user the nameless and faceless user the idea they are immune to consequence). You see plenty of people over the years getting banned, suspended, throwing insults on SDN... and very rarely are those your users or mods with identity visible, thinly veiled (shows location, grad year, etc), or just widely known among the forum. It's usually new users, pre-med or pre-pod types, anonymous residents with ego trip, etc.

Locally we have mandatory peer review every two years. The questions have more to do with clinical judgment, competence, and safety rather than happiness. I guess there's a write-in section where one could burn their colleagues if they wanted to but I doubt anyone does that.

I tried to get Natch to see his patient when their foot was falling off but he was off trying to ride a jet ski down a mountain.
BUT DID ANYONE DIE???

I would love an example of that ever happening. Yes, I know some nurses have lost their jobs for racy InstaGram pics or maybe docs on Twitter using racial slurs or extreme dem/rep attacks is reported to their employ... but this is not akin to that.
I can't give any examples. Which of you volunteers to be the first?
Bad surgical outcomes, failure to respond to call, failure to round on patients, sexual harassment allegations, fraudulent billing... those are real reasons to initiate a peer review. SDN is just not going to have any bearing there. There are much bigger fish to fry at that point.
Conceivably someone does something dubious in the OR, they're up for peer review. SDN posts surface of this person complaining about job market/salary. Now the accusers establish a motive and can paint a picture of a greedy doctor throwing caution to the wind.

Like I said, be as anonymous as you choose to be, but don't assume there won't be consequences. Superheroes wear masks for a reason.

Locally we have mandatory peer review every two years. The questions have more to do with clinical judgment, competence, and safety rather than happiness. I guess there's a write-in section where one could burn their colleagues if they wanted to but I doubt anyone does that.
Yeah, I think most people know that simply makes them look petty to 'report' colleagues (without real patient harm, neglect, safety or substance issue)... and typically causes the opposite result the tattle had tried for.

I can't give any examples. Which of you volunteers to be the first?

Conceivably someone does something dubious in the OR, they're up for peer review. SDN posts surface of this person complaining about job market/salary. Now the accusers establish a motive and can paint a picture of a greedy doctor throwing caution to the wind.

Like I said, be as anonymous as you choose to be, but don't assume there won't be consequences. Superheroes wear masks for a reason.
With regard to SDN, that was probably the lesson learned on the influx of people recruited from APMA for the satisfaction thread. They disappeared faster than they arrived, but most used their real name or info that 'outed' them, but that actually lent much credibility to show they were fairly successful employed DPMs, PP owners, etc... not some associate fired from their 3rd job in 4 years or student pretending to be a resident or some rando (which the anonymous certainly could be assumed to be). People can pretend to be whatever they want in the internet.

Well, nobody bombed those newcomer SDN account doc offices with harassment.
Nobody made fake complaints to their hospitals.
Nobody left them fake negative reviews.
...I think our bias to how 'dangerous' it may be on SDN is overblown (assuming we're not super abrasive... basically doing things that get ppl banned from forums anyways)? Still, I concur it's an individual choice... like a writer using pen name vs real name/bio.

There was a time on SDN podiatry where basically all of the mods and many regulars were open about who they were, where they went to school or residency, etc. They were mainly open to each other, but also to new users (so that it'd build their confidence and they knew they were getting legit info - not just blind leading the blind). It's kinda how small towns are much friendlier on avg than fairly anonymous metros. Now, most SDN regular user ppl know who each other are, but it's more via PM or DM and text. No big deal.

SDN forums are all similar... pro/con to the profession, positive aspects, negative, joking, study tips, jobs, info exchange. There are people across all health and any professions who would like to get paid more, for school to cost less, to not have saturation with colleagues everywhere undercutting for jobs or clients/patients. Most personal trainers love their work... they just wish there weren't so many cert programs with ratio of one cert personal trainer for each only 10 gym members at a lot of place - and tons of colleagues offering to do the work for less per hour - or even free intro sessions. This is nothing new. :thumbup:

Last edited:
My racy Instagram pics haven't done jack shet for my follower count. Maybe I need better music...

I don't know about the peer review risk but I do know that attorneys can find freaking everything on you. "Social media is an attorney's best friend" says a local defense attorney. Even if you think it was hidden or deleted they apparently can subpoena your posting history from whichever social networks you use.