You’ve been made, all 10 of you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
However, you'd have to be facing some truly awful job prospects before you make that kind of jump.
Yeah, I'm keeping that card in the back burner if things are becoming a dumpster fire. Hopefully it'll out work out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No worries. 2 new schools will create more high-power residency programs, create new jobs across the country and attract more prospective students.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Newly grad. Was committed to be in a specific location due to family. Applied early in the fall to everything available in the area. Got a PP position working for a solo practitioner. Base + bonus (not sure if would be possible). No call, working in two locations. One location is very slow. My boss said we just need to market more. I am relatively happy with everything so far, but was not able to do many surgeries, just grafts and exostoses for now. My biggest concern is that it is very slow some days. When I started, some days I saw 4 patients a day, now 10-18. It is not very busy. So, I am not hopeful about the bonus. In my free time I go to doctor's offices and give brochures and cards, and set up lunches. Boss pays for lunches.
Pretty common story and I experienced it myself. I'm in what I would describe as a very favorable population to podiatrist ratio and I still took forever to get going. Then got hit by Covid. The slow days in the beginning are just killer. I still remember being told "we're booked out for weeks, we'll fill your schedule in no time."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DPM NP or DPM CRNA...just gotta get that nursing degree first. Legit backup option for someone young and wants to be in a popular larger metro area.

In PP you need to take call to be busy as a new guy. Otherwise it’s a slow grind to build your patient base and reputation in PP.
This depends a lot on the area... call (and consults) will get you busier, but it's very seldom the type of pts and payers you want in PP setup.

If you simply accumulate a bunch of MCA diabetic ulcers, uninsured fractures, various work comp stuff... that's usually counter-productive and takes the time and appts you want better stuff in.
However, if you can get some injuries like BCBS ankle sprains and Aetna ingrowns in the burbs when you have the time available anyways, then yeah, by all means... ham it up with the ER.

Newly grad. Was committed to be in a specific location due to family. Applied early in the fall to everything available in the area. Got a PP position working for a solo practitioner. Base + bonus (not sure if would be possible). No call, working in two locations. One location is very slow. My boss said we just need to market more. I am relatively happy with everything so far, but was not able to do many surgeries, just grafts and exostoses for now. My biggest concern is that it is very slow some days. When I started, some days I saw 4 patients a day, now 10-18. It is not very busy. So, I am not hopeful about the bonus. In my free time I go to doctor's offices and give brochures and cards, and set up lunches. Boss pays for lunches.
Look at your words. If you are going to have to grow someone else's practice significantly, you might as well start your own asap and grow that (if you are so inclined) or find somewhere much busier where you will bonus. You are being sold the job on speculative value, and you have to add fundamental value to reach that speculation... working for low pay to add permanent value to something you don't own... creating your own job. Not ideal to build someone else's practice - especially if you like the area and have a non-compete.

For a PP to hire someone, they should have 10-15+ patients (or much more) for you as soon as you can handle that and be doing most of the marketing for you while you see patients. You are the talent/worker... not all of that PLUS the marketer/grower. When heybrother spoke of the same situ, he was the entrepreneur... adding value so something in which he was owner/partner. Those are vastly different in the short term and worlds apart long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
When I first saw this post I thought it was a Subway ad. I can't be the only person...

Look at your words. If you are going to have to grow someone else's practice significantly, you might as well start your own asap and grow that (if you are so inclined) or find somewhere much busier where you will bonus. You are being sold the job on speculative value, and you have to add fundamental value to reach that speculation... working for low pay to add permanent value to something you don't own... creating your own job. Not ideal to build someone else's practice - especially if you like the area and have a non-compete.

For a PP to hire someone, they should have 10-15+ patients (or much more) for you as soon as you can handle that and be doing most of the marketing for you while you see patients. You are the talent/worker... not all of that PLUS the marketer/grower. When heybrother spoke of the same situ, he was the entrepreneur... adding value so something in which he was owner/partner. Those are vastly different in the short term and worlds apart long term.
100% this.

Reactions: 2 users
This depends a lot on the area... call (and consults) will get you busier, but it's very seldom the type of pts and payers you want in PP setup.

If you simply accumulate a bunch of MCA diabetic ulcers, uninsured fractures, various work comp stuff... that's usually counter-productive and takes the time and appts you want better stuff in.
However, if you can get some injuries like BCBS ankle sprains and Aetna ingrowns in the burbs when you have the time available anyways, they yeah, by all means... ham it up with the ER.

Sadly while I am an owner now I definitely started out a sad associate albeit thankfully no non-compete. Otherwise - great summary I think of what a lot of the forum tries to hammer.

I'm not sure how much of this story I've told before but my brother spent like 10 years trying to form a company. He ultimately founded something albeit with incomplete ownership. The number one thing he said to me after selling the company was - I'll never work for a business again where I don't own the company outright.

Never fear! In 2 years the practice owner will be VERY happy. That's when the vacations start, and the "mind seeing all my post-ops next month?" begin!

In PP you need to take call to be busy as a new guy. Otherwise it’s a slow grind to build your patient base and reputation in PP.

It would add 3+ hours to my day for the same pay. Due to medical condition and other factors, I am not willing to "put my life on hold " again. 4 years podiatry school was very stressful for me, and residency with covid was another stressful time. I promised myself that my own health will be first from now on. I am not willing to add consults to my 8 hour day just to get more medicaid patients. I am already driving around "marketing" and not willing to spend more hours in the car in the traffic just to seat and wait for a toe amp.
Obviously I could do more marketing, obviously I can take call in multiple hospitals. But I am not getting paid for that. I also was hired and not self employed. As my attending from residency told me "never kill yourself for someone else's business and profit".
You can call me lazy, but no other profession hires people and expects them to do all that extra work for no extra pay.

Reactions: 6 users

However, if you can get some injuries like BCBS ankle sprains and Aetna ingrowns in the burbs when you have the time available anyways, then yeah, by all means... ham it up with the ER.

So the goal is to buy into practice in 3-4 years. Also thinking of buying a new building in a more desirable place, and still be a part of the same practice.
I definitely need to lear a lot before can open my own. Even basic billing, and some PP nuances.

It would add 3+ hours to my day for the same pay. Due to medical condition and other factors, I am not willing to "put my life on hold " again. 4 years podiatry school was very stressful for me, and residency with covid was another stressful time. I promised myself that my own health will be first from now on. I am not willing to add consults to my 8 hour day just to get more medicaid patients. I am already driving around "marketing" and not willing to spend more hours in the car in the traffic just to seat and wait for a toe amp.
Obviously I could do more marketing, obviously I can take call in multiple hospitals. But I am not getting paid for that. I also was hired and not self employed. As my attending from residency told me "never kill yourself for someone else's business and profit".
You can call me lazy, but no other profession hires people and expects them to do all that extra work for no extra pay.
You are 100%. Except if you are hospital employed and it is mandatory in your contract there is no reason folks in PP should be lining up to take free call at the hospital. You are also right that staying late in the hospital to do a toe amp add extra stress and increases burn out. If you think of it, a toe amp pays less than 200 bucks. You make twice that for one new patient in clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the goal is to buy into practice in 3-4 years. Also thinking of buying a new building in a more desirable place, and still be a part of the same practice.
I definitely need to lear a lot before can open my own. Even basic billing, and some PP nuances.
You are learning a lot currently. The fact that you are also doing your own marketing and building your patient base. Private practice is the best place to learn about billing and coding because I assume you have a billing sheet of all the codes and you circle the code of what you did after seeing a patient. Before you think of buying a building, rent office space first and get your practice running. Lots of upfront cost in opening a medical practice so don't try to wait until you can buy a building before going solo. Baby steps is important.

You are learning a lot currently. The fact that you are also doing your own marketing and building your patient base. Private practice is the best place to learn about billing and coding because I assume you have a billing sheet of all the codes and you circle the code of what you did after seeing a patient. Before you think of buying a building, rent office space first and get your practice running. Lots of upfront cost in opening a medical practice so don't try to wait until you can buy a building before going solo. Baby steps is important.
Thank you very much , will definitely consider!

Sorry to derail the thread, but do you mind sharing a rough ballpark estimate of how much it cost you to get your practice going? Thanks.

Sorry to derail the thread, but do you mind sharing a rough ballpark estimate of how much it cost you to get your practice going? Thanks.
If you are really starting cold with no book of business, you need to keep costs very low. Don't lease a fortune on new equipment. Don't stock many supplies. Don't make your office look cheap though or it might not attract a good insurance mix. You have to be creative to keep appearances up while saving money.

How much to spend depends on so many factors. You might luck into a a great sublet situation with staff to share and an X-ray. Spend money on appearance....a nicer office, nice lobby and things that generate income and referrals (ultrasound usually generates more than x.ray, but obviously x-ray is more essential). A nice website that is popular on google searches etc. New power chairs and Cadillac software are nice and eventually important but a luxury in the beginning. A new high end digital X-ray unit is nice, but X-rays do not pay that well. An employee that is loyal, friendly, intelligent and dependable is hard to find but so important.

No matter what your budge to start.....lets pick a number and say 50K, but even if your budget if half or double that...it will be gone and spent in no time. Cash flow becomes most important. What are your ongoing monthly expenses and how much is coming in. The money coming in is hard to predict. Some are doing very well or at least well enough after 6 months and others sometimes hold on a few years and get close to bankruptcy, then things turn a corner.. It is a risk and some are doing no better than if they were working as an associate or in some cases worse. Very tempting to do scammy and fraudulent things. I have increasingly seen people work as an associate, then open their own office, then go organizational. You used to hardly ever see someone open a solo office then leave. A statement that running a solo office is not all it sounds like and there are more organizational jobs than in the past. Many I have seen leave were ABFAS RRA in solo practice that left for local organizational jobs.

Can you live in your parents home and live like a student or do you need to support a family. Do you have a spouse that makes a lot of money? Can you make money on the side at a nursing home? Unexpected expenses come up personal and professional. Like I said cash flow is king. No matter how much you spent initially you might have negative cash flow for several months and make less than an low paid associate for several more even while working all weekends at nursing homes for a year etc. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Even though many still open their own office, the profession used to be a bit more geared on how to start a business and how much it costs. Not that school taught you, but you used to get this info from APMA when you graduated and the podiatry medical supply companies would give you info if you asked. Now everyone wants organizational jobs and opening an office is probably not popular talk in schools and residencies even though many still go this route.

You might get answers on here but probably want to post your own thread. As much as we joke about IPED on FB it has many younger podiatrists that have started their own office. I would follow IPED in your situation and also try to find a mentor that opened an office less than 10 years ago. Lots of them are members of AAPPM. Largest value to AAPPM is you may network in person if you have no mentors. You can pick and choose their coding and income advice.

• Care
If you are really starting cold with no book of business, you need to keep costs very low. Don't lease a fortune on new equipment. Don't stock many supplies. Don't make your office look cheap though or it might not attract a good insurance mix. You have to be creative to keep appearances up while saving money.

How much to spend depends on so many factors. You might luck into a a great sublet situation with staff to share and an X-ray. Spend money on appearance....a nicer office, nice lobby and things that generate income and referrals (ultrasound usually generates more than x.ray, but obviously x-ray is more essential). A nice website that is popular on google searches etc. New power chairs and Cadillac software are nice and eventually important but a luxury in the beginning. A new high end digital X-ray unit is nice, but X-rays do not pay that well. An employee that is loyal, friendly, intelligent and dependable is hard to find but so important.

No matter what your budge to start.....lets pick a number and say 50K, but even if your budget if half or double that...it will be gone and spent in no time. Cash flow becomes most important. What are your ongoing monthly expenses and how much is coming in. The money coming in is hard to predict. Some are doing very well or at least well enough after 6 months and others sometimes hold on a few years and get close to bankruptcy, then things turn a corner.. It is a risk and some are doing no better than if they were working as an associate or in some cases worse. Very tempting to do scammy and fraudulent things. I have increasingly seen people work as an associate, then open their own office, then go organizational. You used to hardly ever see someone open a solo office then leave. A statement that running a solo office is not all it sounds like and there are more organizational jobs than in the past. Many I have seen leave were ABFAS RRA in solo practice that left for local organizational jobs.

Can you live in your parents home and live like a student or do you need to support a family. Do you have a spouse that makes a lot of money? Can you make money on the side at a nursing home? Unexpected expenses come up personal and professional. Like I said cash flow is king. No matter how much you spent initially you might have negative cash flow for several months and make less than an low paid associate for several more even while working all weekends at nursing homes for a year etc. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Even though many still open their own office, the profession used to be a bit more geared on how to start a business and how much it costs. Not that school taught you, but you used to get this info from APMA when you graduated and the podiatry medical supply companies would give you info if you asked. Now everyone wants organizational jobs and opening an office is probably not popular talk in schools and residencies even though many still go this route.

You might get answers on here but probably want to post your own thread. As much as we joke about IPED on FB it has many younger podiatrists that have started their own office. I would follow IPED in your situation and also try to find a mentor that opened an office less than 10 years ago. Lots of them are members of AAPPM. Largest value to AAPPM is you may network in person if you have no mentors. You can pick and choose their coding and income advice.

Thanks, Doc!

In your opinion, do you think 50K in the current market is enough to get something running?

Thanks, Doc!

In your opinion, do you think 50K in the current market is enough to get something running?
That is definitely on the low side. Might be enough for a Medi/Medi mix in a low COL area or if absolutely everything goes right (it seldom does) with a sublet situation and used equipment. You could have everything ready and then your one employee might quit and your credentialing on insurance plans you were sure would be ready gets delayed for any number of reasons another couple of months.

An upscale office in a nice suburb or high COL area would obviously cost more not just initially to setup but monthly expenses. There are always ways to save in the beginning, but only to an extent. As to an exact amount you need to talk to someone that has a practice how you want in area with a cost of living similar. I am no longer that person to ask detailed questions.

So much is not the initial expenses it is the ongoing expenses for the office and for you to live on. How will you cover that also? A side gig.....podiatry has few outside of nursing homes. If you even get a line of credit that can be spent fast. I did not know anyone well that got loans from a bank but vaguely know of a couple that did....again you need to find a younger solo podiatrist to ask questions.

If someone has learned while being an associate, saved some money and gained some confidence it is still hard in the beginning. Without a lot of planning, a mentor and a side gig if needed to bring in money this can be very hard right out of residency without family money or a spouse with a great job.

Have you looked at IPED? Not a fan of everything on there but they do help each other out with information like this.

There is nothing wrong with PP if a partner in a successful group. There is nothing wrong with private practice if one has other options and wants to give it a try. The problem with podiatry is many do it out of a sense of desperation and a bad job market. If it fails you are looking at bankruptcy and a bad associate job. As an MD most do not go this route and certainly don't have to, but if they did and if it did not work out they would just get a high paying job with good benefits.

The problem with podiatry is many do it out of a sense of desperation and a bad job market. If it fails you are looking at bankruptcy and a bad associate job. As an MD most do not go this route and certainly don't have to, but if they did and if it did not work out they would just get a high paying job with good benefits.
This was what I wish / needed to hear four years ago...

Out of the four pods I spoke to / shadowed not one mentioned anything. Now, I am not playing the blame game nor feel entitled to any information anyone doesn't want to share, but looking back and seeing the position I am in or about to endeavor, I wish I didn't do this. If only I took the advice of this forum a little more seriously back then, maybe my life would've been different. Now I am faced with potential options and pathway that just doesn't feel like light at the end of the tunnel.

So much schooling, time, and debt just to possibly take on this steep endeavor but in order to survive further, I have to resort to using my old skills like being a plumber to keep the lights on and food on the table.

Never thought I'd be thinking about this combo when I started this.

Reactions: 3 users

Out of the four pods I spoke to / shadowed not one mentioned anything. Now, I am not playing the blame game nor feel entitled to any information anyone doesn't want to share, but looking back and seeing the position I am in or about to endeavor, I wish I didn't do this. If only I took the advice of this forum a little more seriously back then, maybe my life would've been different. Now I am faced with potential options and pathway that just doesn't feel like light at the end of the tunnel.

So much schooling, time, and debt just to possibly take on this steep endeavor but in order to survive further, I have to resort to using my old skills like being a plumber to keep the lights on and food on the table.

Were you the guy in PMNews that got promoted to general manager of Mr. Plumber? Podiatry Management Online

• Haha

The thing about podiatry is you could do this and after many years of struggling you might do very well.

Then in the future when you warned prospective students about the negative aspects of the profession and advised it might not be worth the risk the leaders would attack you for telling the truth.

For real? I thought this was a legit typo in PM News. I mean, whatever works though! Plumbers, electricians, welders--they all make bank, so can't say I blame him!
A San Antonio fellow / ABFAS RRA

A San Antonio fellow / ABFAS RRA

Hahaha! Any of the OGs on here remember when this website was verboten in this forum?

Does not sound like a desperation story. Doing very with a very successful family business. How well he was doing in podiatry before he left I am unsure.

Hahaha! Any of the OGs on here remember when this website was verboten in this forum?
It was the same guy having conversations with himself on there. Probably still is.

At least he is his own best friend. 😅
That guy was terrible for the forum and a non-stop catfish/troll, but he did hilariously hate all the right people in podiatry. He posted someone's story on here about scrambling to his website without giving credit/requesting permission and someone from here dug up a news article talking about how that guy had been suspended from practice for mental illness.

He'd constantly create new handles - an MD who used to be a podiatrist, a podiatrist who only made $50K a year, a podiatrist who made $300K a year. The board was kind of stagnant at the time so everytime a brand new person showed up it was like - dude, we know its you. Then he'd make handles based on podiatry terms like "Eye-P-Kay" or something like that. And his handles would only talk to each other.

I've posted this before but I talked crap to him one time. Went and looked at his forum that only he posted on - not kidding. He had created pages of new posts with no content - just thread titles. And they all were variations of "we're going to get that heybrother". Pages, plural. It was very creepy.

Anyway. All that aside. Guy was dead right. Podiatry sucks :) How did a mentally ill podiatrist figure that out before the rest of us :unsure:;):p

We should feel empathy for him though. To be mentally ill and podiatrist is a tough hand to be dealt.

That guy was terrible for the forum and a non-stop catfish/troll, but he did hilariously hate all the right people in podiatry. He posted someone's story on here about scrambling to his website without giving credit/requesting permission and someone from here dug up a news article talking about how that guy had been suspended from practice for mental illness.

He'd constantly create new handles - an MD who used to be a podiatrist, a podiatrist who only made $50K a year, a podiatrist who made $300K a year. The board was kind of stagnant at the time so everytime a brand new person showed up it was like - dude, we know its you. Then he'd make handles based on podiatry terms like "Eye-P-Kay" or something like that. And his handles would only talk to each other.

I've posted this before but I talked crap to him one time. Went and looked at his forum that only he posted on - not kidding. He had created pages of new posts with no content - just thread titles. And they all were variations of "we're going to get that heybrother". Pages, plural. It was very creepy.

Anyway. All that aside. Guy was dead right. Podiatry sucks :) How did a mentally ill podiatrist figure that out before the rest of us :unsure:;):p

We should feel empathy for him though. To be mentally ill and podiatrist is a tough hand to be dealt.

Guy was onto something back then referring to “residunces” and taking an extra year to do a podiatry “feddowchip”.

He does some decent podo-journalism. He covered the Bako me-too scandal when PM News wouldn't mention it. He was also first to cover the low P-school application numbers. Plus with all the banners and popup ads, he's probably making a couple of hundred bucks a month

He does some decent podo-journalism. He covered the Bako me-too scandal when PM News wouldn't mention it. He was also first to cover the low P-school application numbers. Plus with all the banners and popup ads, he's probably making a couple of hundred bucks a month

That’s great for him, I hope it at least covers his monthly costs for Geodon.

58yo matriculant to DPM program. That's the oldest I have seen. Talk about his/her ROI.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230108_233554_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230108_233554_Chrome.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 115
58yo matriculant to DPM program. That's the oldest I have seen. Talk about his/her ROI.
That is really old and pushing the limits if we consider ourselves a surgical specialty. Firefighters like to help people but they have age limits. Schools like diversity, but lets hope there is a real interesting story there and ROI is not a concern.

What if money is the only return someone was looking for?

Perhaps career satisfaction and ability to help people.
I tried telling this to my wife and two older kids who suffered with me for those 11 years of training and debt lol.

I'm sorry but starting podiatry school at 58 is laughable. We have the same conversations over and over on this forum and people post the same shenanigans and empty arguments. That person will be 65 when they graduate residency. They won't have to worry about their practice providing health insurance because they'll be on Medicare. I'm sure they'll love holding legs on rotations as a student while rounding. Suturing odd incisions or closing a rheumatoid foot case - that sucks when you're in your 30s. When I pound out multiple cases I come home from surgery tired - both physically and mentally. I actually enjoy surgery more and more but there is nothing else I do where my complete attention is dedication to 1 thing the entire time I do it. It takes focus. Maybe I'm the only 1, but I know people with cognitive decline at that age. Podiatry is not internal medicine where you just talk to your patient. For most people its calluses and nails and looking for heel ulcers and using your hands. Everyone's body doesn't age the same way. My practice had a podiatrist in it who wouldn't retire. It took Covid and a family member to ultimately make it happen. The person in question couldn't diagnose PVD to save their life. They were dramatically older than the person in this story and they shouldn't have been practicing. Their judgement was flawed. Some people want to practice medicine foreve and some people have to practice medicine forever because of their lifestyle and debt. Props to the people who realize you need to have a plan to get out. 58 isn't when you should be starting podiatry. Its when you should be retiring from it. It kills me that I had to write this again. I'm certain I've essentially already written this post before in a different thread.

Reactions: 11 users
I'm sorry but starting podiatry school at 58 is laughable. We have the same conversations over and over on this forum and people post the same shenanigans and empty arguments. That person will be 65 when they graduate residency. They won't have to worry about their practice providing health insurance because they'll be on Medicare. I'm sure they'll love holding legs on rotations as a student while rounding. Suturing odd incisions or closing a rheumatoid foot case - that sucks when you're in your 30s. When I pound out multiple cases I come home from surgery tired - both physically and mentally. I actually enjoy surgery more and more but there is nothing else I do where my complete attention is dedication to 1 thing the entire time I do it. It takes focus. Maybe I'm the only 1, but I know people with cognitive decline at that age. Podiatry is not internal medicine where you just talk to your patient. For most people its calluses and nails and looking for heel ulcers and using your hands. Everyone's body doesn't age the same way. My practice had a podiatrist in it who wouldn't retire. It took Covid and a family member to ultimately make it happen. The person in question couldn't diagnose PVD to save their life. They were dramatically older than the person in this story and they shouldn't have been practicing. Their judgement was flawed. Some people want to practice medicine foreve and some people have to practice medicine forever because of their lifestyle and debt. Props to the people who realize you need to have a plan to get out. 58 isn't when you should be starting podiatry. Its when you should be retiring from it. It kills me that I had to write this again. I'm certain I've essentially already written this post before in a different thread.
One positive is you won’t have to worry about student loan repayment. Definitely will be taking those notes to the grave.

Just thinking about this now is crazy… can you trim toenails in the same nursing home you live in?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
58 isn't when you should be starting podiatry. Its when you should be retiring from it. It kills me that I had to write this again. I'm certain I've essentially already written this post before in a different thread.
After reading a different thread, I might consider computer science when I'm 58 and have finally paid off my student loans with my meager foot money.

• Haha
1673374777302.png

I feel really bad for that 58 year old. Someone should have stepped in and told them how bad of an idea that is

I feel really bad for that 58 year old. Someone should have stepped in and told them how bad of an idea that is

Someone probably did but these people think they can pay bills with thoughts and prayers and desire to save soles like these instagram pods.

I am a 1987 DPM grad, and a 1997 MD grad. The professions are very different in regards to postgrad opportunities. I graduated in an era where a 1 year podiatry surgery residency was the goal. There were 2 and 3 year programs, but they were uncommon. Once a DPM finished residency, they were on their own in a cold and cruel world. The majority of podiatry practices were independent, and not supported by a hospital system. It was a dog eat dog world. You had to go out and make something of yourself. The MD world is very different. MD practices are supported by hospital systems. They are able to bring in a new provider at full salary because of this support. Generally, a new MD provider is busy from day 1. There is a tremendous need for MD providers virtually everywhere, and grads are in a very competitive position. Practices and hospitals compete to hire a trained MD. The DPM situation is reversed. The DPM practices are buyers, not sellers. It would be foolish for someone to go to Podiatry College, complete residency, and assume that a great position with full benefits and a nice income will be waiting for them. It does happen, but it is still largely a fact that young DPMs must find a place in an established practice, and there will be a buy in.

I'm an old MD, and I still get almost daily emails, messages and phone calls trying to recruit me to join another hospital. It is a very different world. I am the buyer.

It all comes down to what is an essential need for a hospital. All MD specialties are essential, somewhere. The DPM is important, but not essential.

• Love
I am a 1987 DPM grad, and a 1997 MD grad. The professions are very different in regards to postgrad opportunities. I graduated in an era where a 1 year podiatry surgery residency was the goal. There were 2 and 3 year programs, but they were uncommon. Once a DPM finished residency, they were on their own in a cold and cruel world. The majority of podiatry practices were independent, and not supported by a hospital system. It was a dog eat dog world. You had to go out and make something of yourself. The MD world is very different. MD practices are supported by hospital systems. They are able to bring in a new provider at full salary because of this support. Generally, a new MD provider is busy from day 1. There is a tremendous need for MD providers virtually everywhere, and grads are in a very competitive position. Practices and hospitals compete to hire a trained MD. The DPM situation is reversed. The DPM practices are buyers, not sellers. It would be foolish for someone to go to Podiatry College, complete residency, and assume that a great position with full benefits and a nice income will be waiting for them. It does happen, but it is still largely a fact that young DPMs must find a place in an established practice, and there will be a buy in.

I'm an old MD, and I still get almost daily emails, messages and phone calls trying to recruit me to join another hospital. It is a very different world. I am the buyer.

Ok so let me get this straight. Basically what you’re saying is that we need to open at least 4 more podiatry vocational institutions.

Please forgive me if I didn’t understand what you were trying to imply as I only got a 4 on the verbal section of the MCAT, therefore am podiatrist.

• Haha
Ok so let me get this straight. Basically what you’re saying is that we need to open at least 4 more podiatry vocational institutions.

Please forgive me if I didn’t understand what you were trying to imply as I only got a 4 on the verbal section of the MCAT, therefore am podiatrist.
I didn't say anything like that. I don't think any new Podiatry Colleges should be opened. You do seem disgruntled. Why is that?

I didn't say anything like that. I don't think any new Podiatry Colleges should be opened. You do seem disgruntled. Why is that?
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

• Wow