Yup, I quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not my fault that I never learned responsibility, I swear it isn't. I can't blame myself for the way I act.

Start reading/researching behavior and get yourself sorted out. I came from a rough place as well; take the baby steps necessary to make progress. This means changing the way you think, and not blaming other people for your own actions. Its a new year OP.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of us in that situation. The good thing is that you are an adult and need to take responsibility for your future. The only way you are going to reach your goal now is by working harder and making your own opportunities. You worry about gap years when you need to focus on learning how to succeed.
When people tell me to work harder I get extremely irate. I've been working my azz off. And one I'm proud of passing this semester. I swear my mother tells me try harder all the time. I remember she told me I wasn't trying hard enough and three weeks later I got the job and that I been applied to before she said that. Yes, there are more things I could be doing but as someone said...med school is not a sprint.

You seem to be lacking in self-control, common sense, and have a jaded perception of the world based on your personal ethnomethodology.

Start reading/researching behavior and get yourself sorted out.
I went to therapy and my mother never took me back and she said its nothing wrong with you and that really hurt me. I have been an extremely depressed child, teenager and now adult. Thank goodness I'm not a maniac though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to therapy and my mother never took me back and she said its nothing wrong with you and that really hurt me. I have been an extremely depressed child, teenager and now adult. Thank goodness I'm not a maniac though.

You seem to know the areas you need help in. Research these things and apply them.

Last edited:
It's not my fault that I never learned responsibility, I swear it isn't. I can't blame myself for the way I act. I told my mom to take me to therapy a decade ago when I completely shut myself out from the world. I'm scared because I never changed since then.

I'm sorry to say this, but these are the rules of the world regardless of who is to blame. Flat out, you need to get past it to succeed in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah coming on here was a dead end, I think I'll just research other occupations because I don't have time for people saying that I lack common sense and straight up talking down to and about me. Again SDN is full of privilege. The only thing that would have saved my azz was taking a class I never took for the winter session, but unfortunately this will not happen because I cannot afford tat summer bill. Lets just say that letter today was a great start for 2016. I'm tired of constantly comparing or striving to have what others have...because it will never happen.

I wish they would have told me this, I bet so many people have this issue. They could have told me you should take "this101" to fulfill your 67% completion rate, but I'm really upset because I wanted to take that class this winter but my account is still on hold. When will it ever end for me?

Last edited:
Yeah coming on here was a dead end, I think I'll just research other occupations because I don't have time for people saying that I lack common sense and straight up talking down to and about me. Again SDN is full of privilege. The only thing that would have saved my azz was taking a class I never took for the winter session, but unfortunately this will not happen because I cannot afford tat summer bill. Lets just say that letter today was a great start for 2016. I'm tired of constantly comparing or striving to have what others have...because it will never happen.

We are trying to help, but it may be that you have other issues that need to be worked out before you can truly be successful in academics and medical school. You are the one that has to acknowledge that. Each and every one of us on this forum have doubts about out our future in medicine; will I actually make it in? Am I smart enough? Will I even be able to handle it once I do get in? It isnt just you. Take some time away from the forums to collect yourself and come at things from a new perspective.

Reactions: 5 users
Have you considered joining the military? You could work in healthcare, learn responsibility, have an amicable but clear break from your family and earn the GI Bill to pay for school. You could be rewarded for hard work and intelligence and it is impressive to med schools, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, why not just get a job and take the next semester at a cc? They can make a payment plan that is VERY reasonable.

OP, why not just get a job and take the next semester at a cc? They can make a payment plan that is VERY reasonable.
As if she is actually open to trying anything.

Reactions: 3 users
With a that defeatist attitude and the previously noted victim mentality you will not succeed. Take some time off to reflect on what you need to do to succeed. The .mil has been changing the lives of the poor and/or immature forever. The Post 911 GI bill is much better than it used to be as well. Take a look, change your life, stand on your own two feet and find success.
It's not enough to just want it.

Reactions: 3 users
SDN is full of privilege. .
lol you live in your mother's house for free and you (had) your school paid for.
There are people on here with kids to provide for in addition to college, EC's, etc.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Loss of Financial Aid Eligibility
Students who are not in compliance with the cumulative GPA and/or completion rate SAP standards will be granted a one semester warning status. Students who have exceeded the 150% time limitation for degree programs are not eligible for the warning term. Students who were previously placed on warning or are ineligible for an appeal and do not meet the published standards by the next review will be suspended from eligibility for Federal Title IV Aid, state funded programs, and any other aid programs requiring that students meet SAP standards.

So you exceeded the time limitation and therefore did not get a warning?

Maybe you can appeal since you did not get the warning.

Either way it's a CC... You're more than capable of working to pay off one semester to get back to good standing.

With my calculation and 12 hours, you would be paying $1,356... I made that during my winter break. Maybe I'm "crazy privileged", but that is no big deal at all. I get people at my school freaking out over 60k of financial aid, not under 2k.

Last edited:
OP, I'm sorry if I sound insensitive, but are you the same person who said they took a taxi to a job interview half way through and came back home? Because I feel like I read a thread like this at some point before...feels a little Deja-vu.

Reactions: 2 users
Again SDN is full of privilege. I'm tired of constantly comparing or striving to have what others have...because it will never happen.

OP, majority of us are really not. But you know what's different between some of us and you right now? We sat down and figured what we need to tackle first. As someone who's been working in the healthcare field for almost a decade now, I can tell you that the skill of prioritization is so important and even critical for a physician. You're not seeing the big picture because you're too focused in such a weird narrow view and on top of that you're comparing yourself to other people. BIGGEST MISTAKE RIGHT THERE!!!

1) Accept the fact that you're not like other people, AND THAT'S OK!

2) Write down all your problems. Yeah, all of them.

3) Figure out what you need to tackle first.

4) Figure out a plan on how to tackle it. It's best to come up with multiple different scenarios.

5) Execute that plan to the best of your abilities.

Med school will always be there. I don't know what you're rushing for because with the current status that you're in, I feel like you will lose it.
Again, med schools will always be there. If you're not ****ing up like that kid who cheated and have to IA or crazy unbearable red flags, you'll find a way there. Goro talks alot about how some school love innovation. You can do it, but you gotta treat the source.

Take a deep breath, go to sleep, vegg out and when your mind is clear, you should tackle it.

Reactions: 9 users
Hi OP,

Unfortunately, I know from experience that there are often bureaucratic labyrinths that you have to navigate with financial aid offices. I also know how suffocating it can feel not to have very much money.

I'm trying to assimilate all the information you have given here, so please correct me if I am wrong. You said that you received an A, B, C, and are waiting for a grade in a fourth class. This suggests to me that unless there are incomplete classes you aren't mentioning, you have completed all of them (or at least 75%). If this is true, you should be able to dispute it with the financial aid office.

I have been known to have a doom-and-gloom attitude when things aren't looking great in my life, but that has never led to anything productive. And as a premed student, you need to be productive. Try to view your current predicament as the beginning of a compelling story that will eventually convince somebody why you truly deserve to do medicine. I urge you to take winter break to seriously evaluate your place in school, finances, and health. This may mean taking some time away from your academics in order to work full time, so that you can have a bigger cushion and focus solely on college when you return. I have worked two jobs while doing school for the past year-and-a-half, and it is definitely not for everyone, but it can be done if you are up for it.

Quick tip: with both financial aid offices and in life, everything is easier when you speak to people in person, rather than by phone or email, so I would try to do this if possible. I have a fair amount of experience with this, so PM me if you want to talk or need advice.

Happy new year my friend! I wish you the best.

Happy New Year, hope everything works out. You sound very young and confused and I'm very sorry that you have no parent/ parent figure to advise , guide and help you with this situation. I couldn't imagine being in your predicament and not having my parents there to give me sound advice ( even in the earlier years while you were struggling in school). So although I don't like the fact that you tend to make excuses, I do understand your feeling of " winging it" through life where most people do have a little help/guidance ( even if it's not financial help , mental support is important too).

I was reading the title and I saw words I never want to see "I quit". And you know what, I decided that I was going to not be polite and talk to you as a fellow URM.

Are you kidding me dream a dream? You don't get to quit. I don't accept it.
Come on, no one ever said this stuff would be easy. Even kids who came from backgrounds like mine found it hard, but you can't just accept all the things from others and give up! Our community needs you. We need doctors desperately and you're just going to quit because it's tough? You want to quit on us? No. You can't. Get off of SDN right now and stop debating with people calling you stupid or whatever. And draft a letter to your school, do whatever you have to do, if you have to cry, beg and plead do it, and get your aid back man. Are you really going to let other people look down on you and say " yeah, dream a dream is just a poor kid from a poor family and well too bad they won't accomplish anything in life?" or "oh, well, another poor minority, guess that's the best they can do?"
You want to look into the faces of people like Donald trump and say , "Yeah, you're right, I'm never going to succeed? Guess you were right"
You can't ever let them win.

Get up, wherever you are sitting. Get up and go fight for it, fight for what is yours, fight for your spot, your financial aid, fight to return back to school. but you know what you should never do?

Say , "yup, I quit".

That is just UNACCEPTABLE.

Also, PM me, I don't have money but I can offer advice and my email. Just please, don't give up kiddo. even when it's hard.

Last edited:
lol you live in your mother's house for free and you (had) your school paid for.
There are people on here with kids to provide for in addition to college, EC's, etc.

Ahhhh, this reminded me of the time when my wife scolded me for forgetting to buy formula for the baby and pulls for the toddler after finishing two exams on the same day.

I DON'T GET WHY SHE'S QUITTING OVER 1K. AM I THAT PRIVILEGED (lol)?

I just want to add that "ass" isn't censored.

Interestingly enough, I actually know someone who was in this exact same position after Spring 2015 semester. OP you are definitely not being hit with this over one class. This rule accounts for all classes you have attempted while receiving financial aid. As you know, you have to complete 67% of attempted hours to remain eligible for aid. This includes ALL fails, withdrawals, and incompletes at ALL institutions where you have taken classes. Unfortunately, even legitimately "expunged" or "pardoned" semesters for medical or personal reasons count towards this total if the semester was funded by financial aid. It's easier to make an appeal case for yourself if something like that was the ONLY thing that made you drop under 67%.

The person I know had slacked around many semesters (one on probation, one failed, many barely passing with some failed classes), then was hit with a medical setback (required significant surgery & leave of absence) which only added to the academic turmoil. Even though this person got the semester with the medical event "expunged" from record, it STILL counted towards the total attempted hours for financial aid. That on top of the "slacking" semesters put her in the same situation as yourself and it's pretty much the end of the line for funding. The government is simply not going to continue funding someone who isn't making reasonable progress towards degree completion and that makes perfect sense. Even appealing, talking with financial aid, meeting with the vice chancellor of the school did nothing. The VC literally told her "I want to support you, but there's really nothing we can do at this point".

BTW, this person gave my other two friends the runaround for about two weeks, just like OP is doing here ("it was only one class" "oh, my grades were decent" etc.) before I thoroughly researched the rule and called BS. You cannot make the mistake of thinking expunged grades do not count towards this. Even if the university completely disregards it and clears it off your transcript, it still counts for financial aid if they paid (loans too) for you to be in school.

What you CAN do OP: 1. Use this time to get better: practice self reflection, hobbies, exercise, perhaps start talking to a therapist or counselor. To quote a GOAT: "How you gone win, when you ain't right within?" Bonus points if you get the reference :D

2. Find a full time job (any job!) and if you are living with your mom, save as much as possible. This will be your grind, commit to it and push through it. You can later use the money to self fund a couple of classes and get back on the right track.

3. NOT recommended, but could be a good option if YOU KNOW you will stay on top of your finances: Use a private student loan from a well known lender (Wells Fargo, Discover, BOA, etc) or a credit card to fund classes. I would only do this if you concurrently get a job (maybe even just part time), only have a couple classes to take to get you back to 67% completion, AND will aggressively pay them down AS YOU GO.

Remember, whenever you hit that 67% completion rate, you will be eligible for financial aid again. This is not a death sentence for your education, but it will be a fight! "Hit it with a left, hit it with a right. . ." I won't continue that reference but 2x bonus points if you catch that one :p

TLDR: Per my experience with a similar situation, there is much more to the story than OP lets on and the parallel in sentiments is eerily familiar. Note that when you get back to at least 67% completion, you will be eligible for financial aid again. Depending on your complete history this may be easier than you think. Regardless of the specifics, OP there is a way to keep going. Don't obsess over the time and the difficulties ahead. Life will pass by anyway, so USE THE TIME to learn yourself, build yourself, and navigate your unique path to your ultimate dream. You most likely can't get back to the script right away, but the show will go on if you keep acting! :):luck::xf:

The problem with being a troll is keeping track of said lies.

I received an A B, C, and another grade that I don't know because my professor didn't put it on blackboard. I cannot view my final grades because I still have unpaid tuition from the summer and my account is on hold.
Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 8.09.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 8.27.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 8.23.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 8.14.32 AM.png

Please, do quit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I would like to very kindly suggest the nursing route to working in healthcare. The education is cheaper and you can take yourself to next levels one step at a time, all while staying employed.

I would like to very kindly suggest the nursing route to working in healthcare. The education is cheaper and you can take yourself to next levels one step at a time, all while staying employed.
No way can you be accepted into nursing school with grades like this. It's extremely competitive now.

All of my friends taking nursing prerequisites say that you need to have mostly A's to get into a nursing program.

No way can you be accepted into nursing school with grades like this. It's extremely competitive now.

All of my friends taking nursing prerequisites say that you need to have mostly A's to get into a nursing program.

? you can get into nursing programs with a 2.5-3.0 GPA.

I remember arguing with @dreamadream about the negative effect of single motherhood in the long-ass "Asian disadvantage" necro-bumped thread and the spammed URM forum posts about privilege and other nonsense that pervaded possible study/work time. My fellow SDNers have so much patience with you. Their advice is worded as kindly as possible. There are a lot of good ideas here and you need to understand that it is 100% your fault for accepting government money without the slightest clue under what terms you have procured it.

It seriously disheartens me to see others telling you to join the military for purely financial reasons because I have personally seen people with similar attitudes ruin entire units with their toxicity. It might change you to be less of a victim or make you much worse.

Since the solution to your woes and the way to medicine requires you to relinquish victimhood, I guess we won't be seeing you around here much longer. I really hope you prove me (and the more polite colleagues here) wrong though.

Sorry.i should have said in New York City. You can't in New York City. Maybe in other places you can. It's too competitive here. I won't make this a pre nursing forum, lol. I have heard this from nurses, students, and professors here. My mother is also a pediatric nurse practitioner. Can't get into nursing school ( in New York City) with poor grades. You just can't.

It is hard in most places to get into nursing. Even the CC programs require certain GPA.

Sorry.i should have said in New York City. You can't in New York City. Maybe in other places you can. It's too competitive here. I won't make this a pre nursing forum, lol. I have heard this from nurses, students, and professors here. My mother is also a pediatric nurse practitioner. Can't get into nursing school ( in New York City) with poor grades. You just can't.

It is hard in most places to get into nursing. Even the CC programs require certain GPA.

Yeah, here its around a 2.5. I also work with nurses on the daily and have several friends in school with less than optimal grades. Im sure places like NY and CA are different; no idea where OP is from.

If she can't get into nursing, how is she going to go about getting into med school?

If she can't get into nursing, how is she going to go about getting into med school?
i agree. My point was that , if someone is not doing well enough to go to medical school, they can't " just be a nurse by default". Nursing is also a hard program to get into. That's all I meant. I won't comment on this anymore, I don't want to get off topic. I think we all probably agree

I just want to know why everyone keeps entertaining these posts. From their posting history its pretty clear that @dreamadream is either trolling us all, or if sincere, needs professional help to an extent that none of us can give here.

I just want to know why everyone keeps entertaining these posts. From their posting history its pretty clear that @dreamadream is either trolling us all, or if sincere, needs professional help to an extent that none of us can give here.
Your right. I think she/he left the thread for now. I think I will too. Happy new year everyone!

Some people happen to enjoy getting their entertainment by over the top cheesy and stupid things.

Point Break made $9.8M at the box office last weekend after all...

Four years in the military will teach you responsibility, to be a good team player, to believe in yourself, give you 3 squares a day, a roof over your head, the chance to see other parts of the world, allow you to save some money, get you the GI Bill for future education, move you away from this pathologic relationship you have with your family, and make you a catch for med school when you finally, sorry to have to say this, grow up.

Join the AirForce or Navy if you're worried about being shot at.

Until, then, I'm putting you on "ignore", because I'm tired of your excuses.

It's not my fault that I never learned responsibility, I swear it isn't. I can't blame myself for the way I act. I told my mom to take me to therapy a decade ago when I completely shut myself out from the world. I'm scared because I never changed since then.

I don't mean to be rude, and I realize that blaming others for your problems is all the rage, but this is unbecoming of an adult.

Your life will turn around when you stop blaming others for your problems. Not overnight, but a few years later.

Last edited:
Four years in the military will teach you responsibility, to be a good team player, to believe in yourself, give you 3 squares a day, a roof over your head, the chance to see other parts of the world, allow you to save some money, get you the GI Bill for future education, move you away from this pathologic relationship you have with your family, and make you a catch for med school when you finally, sorry to have to say this, grow up.

+1 x 1,000,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I resented my mother for a long time, but I had to understand that she didn't understand, but what really bugs me about her is that she doesn't listen to the things I say I would like to accomplish so I can become a doctor...not even one bit. I tell her were I want to work, volunteer, what I want to research and she just plucks on her stupid phone. I tell her all he time that I was doomed from the start because I'm in poverty and shes a single parent.

...and this is extremely inconsiderate of your mother, who likely didn't elect to be a single mom or to be in poverty herself.

As someone who's been doing VA mental health work on and off for the last 5 years... The military ain't no quick fix for your life.

I started reading this thread and felt bad for OP, then I continued to read the thread and felt myself getting a little ticked off.
You're a brat. You take no responsibility and blame everything on everyone else.

This is 100% without a doubt your fault.
Get over yourself, put your big kid pants on and deal with it.

I won't be posting on here anymore. It has caused me to be more depressed. Goodbye and thanks. Don't know where life will take me.

Last edited:
We are trying to help you. None of us are God. We are just trying to tell you not to give up and how to put up with the situation. You need to hold your head eye and keep focused on the goal even with major setbacks.

Your head *high

I think OP is already at a CC.

The problem with being a troll is keeping track of said lies.

View attachment 199175
View attachment 199176
View attachment 199177
View attachment 199178
Please, do quit.
You'll be my last and final post on SDN before I go on. You really went through all of my threads and prtscr'd this. Yes I put 3 C's and 3 B's by an honest accident. Maybe when I edited, it did not save as I may have walked away from my laptop. I am not a troll, I'm going through real life things right now and I'm struggling with depression and anxiety. I had to push myself to get out of bed to go on this website and see if anyone gave me new advice. You are the type of person who kicks someone when they are down and this goes to everyone that liked your post. Some people on here actually care about a stranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.