Yup, I quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamadream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a letter from my college that says I'm suspended from financial aid and I just don't understand how. It's one thing after another. I cried like someone close to me has died, like you don't even understand. I have no way to afford tuition, my mother doesn't work because she has epilepsy and I have no income coming in, but I am trying for dear life to find a job but still to no avail. I'm in poverty also which makes it ten times worse. I received an A B, C, and another grade that I don't know because my professor didn't put it on blackboard. I cannot view my final grades because I still have unpaid tuition from the summer and my account is on hold. I am completely done. I was really optimistic about this semester and going to school for next semester but it definitely will not happen this time. 2016 is definitely ruined for me, I'll just sit in my room depressed all year, I swear it. I won't be a doctor...and I don't plan on spending more than a two year gap, but my whole undergrad life has pushed me back two years.
*UPDATE: I was not suspended because of grades or GPA but because I didn't complete 67% of coursework attempted. I really don't get this.
To appeal this, what should I say??? Because I do not have a extreme circumstance that held me back this semester but the lack of knowledge, its my own big fault.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Very sorry to hear this.

Right now your priority is to get a job, any job, and get your life back on track. Academics can come later.

I just received a letter from my college that says I'm suspended from financial aid and I just don't understand how. It's one thing after another. I cried like someone close to me has died, like you don't even understand. I have no way to afford tuition, my mother doesn't work because she has epilepsy and I have no income coming in, but I am trying for dear life to find a job but still to no avail. I'm in poverty also which makes it ten times worse. I received an A B, C, and another grade that I don't know because my professor didn't put it on blackboard. I cannot view my final grades because I still have unpaid tuition from the summer and my account is on hold. I am completely done. I was really optimistic about this semester and going to school for next semester but it definitely will not happen this time. 2016 is definitely ruined for me, I'll just sit in my room depressed all year, I swear it. I won't be a doctor...and I don't plan on spending more than a two year gap, but my whole undergrad life has pushed me back two years.

Reactions: 8 users
Don't give up yet. A lot of schools are very willing to work with students in situations like this. Did you lose your scholarship because you failed to meet the GPA requirement? Usually you can appeal and ask them to give you a second chance, or so I've heard.

In most situations, there is an option to move backwards (Feel like 2016 is already ruined, sit and be lazy all year) and one to move forwards (figure out why your school suspended your financial aid and figure out a way to get your school paid for). Your future is not ruined for what happened in the past. You need to realize that and also realize that you are still in the game if you want to be. Good luck OP

Reactions: 2 users
Did this happen because you still owe money from the summer? If so, maybe you can find a way to get that money ( I think on another thread you said that you didn't owe too much) and pay that off. Your grades have improved so I don't see how this could have happened because of your grades. Either way, I'm sorry. Go speak to them when Christmas recess is over, maybe you can work something out. I hope.

"Suspended" may mean until you complete something on your end ( like pay maybe the 2 or 300 dollars that you owe) we can't give you financial aid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very sorry to hear this.

Right now your priority is to get a job, any job, and get your life back on track. Academics can come later.
Second this...I had to take a long time out of academics and in the real world getting my stuff together.
It's a setback, potentially a major one. Just focus on the now and hopefully you'll be able to continue your education later.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

What did the university exactly say to justify their decision to suspend your financial aid?
They said I can appeal, but I have no "documented extreme personal circumstances" as it states in the letter. I will try to appeal. I have to turn in this appeal before January 15, 2016. I'm scared to death that they will not accept my appeal, I will try my best to exaggerate words in a formal way. I remember receiving and F for a class I registered for at the top of 2015 (winter session). Not having any knowledge, I didn't drop the class and financial aid paid for it again without my knowledge, so now thats an F on my records. I was planning on taking that class in the spring but I can't. My schedule was already finalized for fall 2015 and I couldn't change it. So that F has messed me up big time, but it shouldn't have brought my GPA under the Satisfactory Academic Progress. Which is a minimum of a 1.5...so I don't get it. My cumulative GPA is way above a 1.5. Something went wrong somewhere I just don't know.

Very sorry to hear this.

I was thinking the same thing I am trying my best to find a positive out of this situation. I guess I spend too much time comparing myself to others in my personal life and on SDN, its just human nature. Everything happens for a reason.

They said I can appeal, but I have no "documented extreme personal circumstances" as it states in the letter. I will try to appeal. I have to turn in this appeal before January 15, 2016. I'm scared to death that they will not accept my appeal, I will try my best to exaggerate words in a formal way. I remember receiving and F for a class I registered for at the top of 2015 (winter session). Not having any knowledge, I didn't drop the class and financial aid paid for it again without my knowledge, so now thats an F on my records. I was planning on taking that class in the spring but I can't. My schedule was already finalized for fall 2015 and I couldn't change it. So that F has messed me up big time, but it shouldn't have brought my GPA under the Satisfactory Academic Progress. Which is a minimum of a 1.5...so I don't get it. My cumulative GPA is way above a 1.5. Something went wrong somewhere I just don't know.

I think you need to find out why.

Um, you need to go see them etc and figure out the true reason for why your FA is suspended. I don't know you and I don't know your situation, but I genuinely believe you need to get one thing under control first and move on to the next. Whatever that may be, whether its financial, home or school life, you need to work one thing out and then move on to the next. Because at this point it seems like you're going in circles and burning tires, nothing productive. Good Luck!

Did this happen because you still owe money from the summer? If so, maybe you can find a way to get that money ( I think on another thread you said that you didn't owe too much) and pay that off. Your grades have improved so I don't see how this could have happened because of your grades. Either way, I'm sorry. Go speak to them when Christmas recess is over, maybe you can work something out. I hope.

"Suspended" may mean until you complete something on your end ( like maybe the 2 or 300 dollars that you owe) we can't give you financial aid.
Financial aid doesn't suspend you for an unpaid bill, that unpaid bill was separate from FA. Thats business I have to deal with the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Financial aid doesn't suspend you for an unpaid bill, that unpaid bill was separate from FA. Thats business I have to deal with the school.

Financial aid at my school will suspend you for grades and for not meeting a certain level of progress on your chosen program. At my school if you start attempting a certain amount of credit hours, there is a certain percentage of those credit hours that need to be attained at the end of the quarter. They usually give 1 probationary quarter to make things right. Could something like that have happened? That you did not meet those requirements?

Also there are a certain amount of credit hours that need to be taken in order to qualify for aid. Usually at least half time enrollment, summer or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Don't let this situation stop you from reaching your goal. I was kicked out of my university due to poor academic performance, lost my scholarships and had my financial aid revoked. No source of income in our household aside from my mother's disability check she receives because of the deficits from a stroke. I took about a year away from school to clear my head, got a full time job to help pay for housing expenses. When the idea of me going back to school came to light, I took night classes, while working the day shift. So far, it has worked out well for me. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Reactions: 5 users
Ok. I thought / was hoping that might have been the reason. Kind of like " we won't give you more money until you pay us what you already owe" but maybe that's not how it works. Just double check though, because if so, that's an easier fix.
Keep your head up!

if you start attempting a certain amount of credit hours, there is a certain percentage of those credit hours that need to be attained at the end of the quarter.
This.

OP, did you withdraw from any courses this term? Back in my day if you received financial aid for 12 credits or more than fell below full time status mid semester, it negatively affected your financial aid status. I think you got a warning the first time then suspended the second time.

Are you sure the 1.5 isn't just what you need to be in good academic standing? The requirements for financial aid are often higher than that (or at least they are at my school). I know for me, I have to maintain at least a 3.0 to keep my scholarship, despite needing only a 2.0 to be in good academic standing. Might be the same for you.
Good luck OP, I hope you can figure this out.

How are you suspended from FA with an A/B/C? Wtf.. story of my 3 years of school and my school continued to give me money.

Last edited:
you're on academic probation? I don't think an A/B/C is terrible...

Last edited:
you're on academic probation? I don't think a A/B/C terrible...
I'm guessing it's the last grade that did it? A 3.0 should be far from probation unless you got academic scholarships. At my school, it's all need based so it's a bit different.

Are you sure the 1.5 isn't just what you need to be in good academic standing? The requirements for financial aid are often higher than that (or at least they are at my school). I know for me, I have to maintain at least a 3.0 to keep my scholarship, despite needing only a 2.0 to be in good academic standing. Might be the same for you.
Good luck OP, I hope you can figure this out.
It depends on the amount of credits you take.

This.

OP, did you withdraw from any courses this term? Back in my day if you received financial aid for 12 credits or more than fell below full time status mid semester, it negatively affected your financial aid status. I think you got a warning the first time then suspended the second time.
Never withdrew from a course ever

Just found out that it wasn't my grades, it was the percentage. You needed to complete at least 67% of coursework, I do not get what that means. I'm so confused. I met the Satisfactory GPA.....On my degree progress it says I've only completed 44% but I still don't know if that relates to anything financial aid. On my colleges website it says this:

Completetion rate
Students must complete at least 67% of their total attempted coursework, including billable hours and credits, to remain eligible for federal and state financial aid.

Wow just wow, how do I appeal if I don't have an excruciating circumstance?

I know this is difficult now, but first thing Monday go in person to the FA office and learn exactly what you need to do. I would also have your financial information handy. Is it possible you were flagged for verification and did not submit the FA documentation required?

I know this is difficult now, but first thing Monday go in person to the FA office and learn exactly what you need to do. I would also have your financial information handy. Is it possible you were flagged for verification and did not submit the FA documentation required?
Thank you so much, we are in poverty and I hope they understand. Even if I were to get a job, I wouldn't be able to pay everything off at once or by payment plans.

Just found out that it wasn't my grades, it was the percentage. You needed to complete at least 67% of coursework, I do not get what that means. I'm so confused. I met the Satisfactory GPA.....On my degree progress it says I've only completed 44% but I still don't know if that relates to anything financial aid. On my colleges website it says this:

Completetion rate
Students must complete at least 67% of their total attempted coursework, including billable hours and credits, to remain eligible for federal and state financial aid.

This is extremely cut and dry. You needed to complete 67% of your registered credits and you didn't. If you were registered in 30 for the year that means you had to complete 20.

If you feel they came to this conclusion by mistake, you should be able to walk into their office with a copy of your transcript and prove them otherwise. Things are not adding up for you at this point.

You either dropped classes or did poorly enough in them to where you werent given credit for your scholarship or financial aid program.

If your mom does not work as you say, and you did poorly because you had to work/support her and yourself while taking classes, well then that might be extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:

Completetion rate

This means that from the time you have entered college until now you have either failed or withdrew from over 1/3 of your courses. Your best bet is to retake old classes (that way you don't increase the amount of "total attempted coursework.") However for the time being I suggest you take some time off and get a job. The real world may have a sobering effect on you and help you clarify your goals.

Have you ever been denied financial aid before? If not, go ahead and appeal their decision and hope they take mercy on you.

This is extremely cut and dry. You needed to complete 67% of your registered credits and you didn't. If you were registered in 30 for the year that means you had to complete 20.

If you feel they came to this conclusion as a mistake, you should be able to walk into their office with a copy of your transcript and prove them otherwise. Things are not adding up at this point.

You either dropped classes or did poorly in them to where you werent given credit for your scholarship or financial aid program.

If your mom does not work and you did poorly because you had to work/support her and yourself while taking classes, that might be extenuating circumstances.
Its crazy because its one class that I was going to take that I never went to because I didn't know financial aid paid for winter courses. I planned on taking it Fall 2015 semester but my account was on hold and my registration was secure, so by me not paying that bill for the summer, I couldn't have possibility took that class.

I declined loans for the 2015-2016 aid...biggest mistake in my whole entire life. I only have about $100 in my savings account....that's nothing.
Can't you still accept them? I never get offered loans, but did email them to get one for a summer quarter.

This means that from the time you have entered college until now you have failed over 1/3 of your courses. Your best bet is to retake old classes (that way you don't increase the amount of "total attempted coursework.") However for the time being I suggest you take some time off and get a job. The real world may have a sobering effect on you and help you clarify your goals.
Yes that's what I wanted to do this winter, but I cannot since I haven't paid for the summer bill yet, so I'm totally eff'd right now. I couldn't take it in the Fall because my account was on hold and I couldn't not add or drop classes. SMH!!!!!

Its crazy because its one class that I was going to take that I never went to because I didn't know financial aid paid for winter courses. I planned on taking it Fall 2015 semester but my account was on hold and my registration was secure, so by me not paying that bill for the summer, I couldn't have possibility took that class.

That's still only one class; you need to figure out why you are not getting credit for the rest of them if you didnt withdrawl.

Can't you still accept them? I never get offered loans, but did email them to get one for a summer quarter.
No its gone. Federal loans are apart of federal aid, so its done for me.

OP, maybe you can take some time off of school? If you're failing over 1/3 of your classes, that's not a good sign for successfully getting a Bachelors, let alone medical school. Don't dig a deeper hole.

Yes that's what I wanted to do this winter, but I cannot since I haven't paid for the summer bill yet, so I'm totally eff'd right now. I couldn't take it in the Fall because my account was on hold and I couldn't not add or drop classes. SMH!!!!!
Why didn't you see this coming? It's pretty clearly stipulated when you accept financial aid.

No its gone. Federal loans are apart of federal aid, so its done for me.

You keep telling us what isnt going to work, what you cant do, and what you wont do. What you NEED to do is make an appointment with your financial aid office/advisor, get all of the necessary information and make sure you have clarification before proceeding further.

I wish they would have told me this, I bet so many people have this issue. They could have told me you should take "this101" to fulfill your 67% completion rate, but I'm really upset because I wanted to take that class this winter but my account is still on hold. When will it ever end for me?

You keep telling us what isnt going to work or what you cant do, and what you wont do. What you NEED to do is make an appoint with your financial aide office/advisor, get all of the necessary information and make sure you have clarification before proceeding.
They have attitudes like they wish they weren't born, but of course I'll give it a try.

Why didn't you see this coming? It's pretty clearly stipulated when you accept financial aid.
I didn't know of this information until the summer time, just like I didn't know college was important in high school because my parent had high school education and education wasn't important in her household.

just like I didn't know college was important in high school because my parent had high school education and education wasn't important in her household.

Yes...shift all the responsibility and blame off of yourself. You will surely become successful this way.

I resented my parents when I got older because they never pushed me harder. But in the end, where does that get me? You can be bitter and spiteful or you can educate yourself and stand on your own two feet. People that have come from less have accomplished more.

Last edited:
Yes...shift all the responsibility and blame off of yourself. You will surely become successful this way.

I come from a similar situation, and I resented my parents when I got older because they never pushed me harder. But in the end, where does that get me? You can be bitter and spiteful or you can educate yourself and stand on your own two feet.
I resented my mother for a long time, but I had to understand that she didn't understand, but what really bugs me about her is that she doesn't listen to the things I say I would like to accomplish so I can become a doctor...not even one bit. I tell her were I want to work, volunteer, what I want to research and she just plucks on her stupid phone. I tell her all he time that I was doomed from the start because I'm in poverty and shes a single parent.

OP, maybe you can take some time off of school? If you're failing over 1/3 of your classes, that's not a good sign for successfully getting a Bachelors, let alone medical school. Don't dig a deeper hole.
One of the classes I never took was not for credit.

I didn't know of this information until the summer time, just like I didn't know college was important in high school because my parent had high school education and education wasn't important in her household.
I resented my mother for a long time, but I had to understand that she didn't understand, but what really bugs me about her is that she doesn't listen to the things I say I would like to accomplish so I can become a doctor...not even one bit. I tell her were I want to work, volunteer, what I want to research and she just plucks on her stupid phone. I tell her all he time that I was doomed from the start because I'm in poverty and shes a single parent.

I see your attitude hasn't changed much from your other threads... that's unfortunate. You neglected to spend 10 minutes reading even one of the countless emails and letters that you have no doubt received detailing what you are responsible for as a financial aid recipient. Now you are going to face the consequences of your irresponsibility.

First, you need to stop with the perpetual victim mentality. Neither your mom or your impoverished background are responsible for your carelessness. I'm sorry, really I am. But unlike most of the people in here I actually have been in extreme poverty and I know an irresponsible person when I see one. I suggest you get a job and offer to help pay for your mom's bills. Learn some responsibility, as you are currently way too immature to be academically successful. Depending on where you live, I may know some sources that can help you out. You can get yourself out of this. But you have to change, no one else can do it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
There are a lot of us in that situation. The good thing is that you are an adult and need to take responsibility for your future. The only way you are going to reach your goal now is by working harder and making your own opportunities. You worry about gap years when you need to focus on learning how to succeed.

I'm so confused. How would that one class help you? I don't think it would have brought you from 44 to 67?

I see your attitude hasn't changed much from your other threads... that's unfortunate. You neglected to spend 10 minutes reading even one of the countless emails and letters that you have no doubt received detailing what you are responsible for as a financial aid recipient. Now you are going to face the consequences of your irresponsibility.

First, you need to stop with the perpetual victim mentality. Neither your mom or your impoverished background are responsible for your carelessness. I'm sorry, really I am. But unlike most of the people in here I actually have been in extreme poverty and I know an irresponsible poor person when I see one. I suggest you get a job and offer to help pay for your mom's bills. Learn some responsibility, as you are currently way too immature to be academically successful. Depending on where you live, I may know some sources that can help you out. You can get yourself out of this. But you have to change, no one else can do it for you.
It's not my fault that I never learned responsibility, I swear it isn't. I can't blame myself for the way I act. I told my mom to take me to therapy a decade ago when I completely shut myself out from the world. I'm scared because I never changed since then.

I'm so confused. How would that one class help you? I don't think it would have brought you from 44 to 67?
there was another class that wasn't for credit...but i have since tested out of that class into a higher for credit class and of course I passed.

One of the classes I never took was not for credit.

If you actually completed over 67% of the courses that you started out with in all our any/all given semesters, dispute their claims. If you didn't, but there are extenuating circumstances, explain them to the financial aid office. But (and this is a big but), schools usually don't do this after 1 rogue problem semester and they usually send a warning that lets you know they're serious about next semester. It's usually not a matter of taking a specific class to finaid. It's a matter of completing the classes YOU sign up for... which is usually based on what you find out you need from academic advising. But the aid department won't know what those are. Most likely they sent you a warning already before this happened. But also understand, there might not be anything they can do. The federal government is going to view continually giving money to a student who is not completing coursework as a waste. And they won't continue to do it. Possibly regardless of reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.