zero, one, two fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many fellowships?

• zero

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • one

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • two

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

dermpathlover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most people at your program do zero, one or two fellowships. I don't want to hear any stories of some academic nerd doing 7 fellowships. I just want to know on average how many fellowships do most grads of your program do. I am doing two and sometimes I worry if that is one too many.

Members don't see this ad.

At MSKCC two fellowships are actually "encouraged"...

"A definite attempt will be made to identify individuals interested in combining two pathology fellowships offered at Memorial Sloan-Kettering under the assumption that this experience should provide them with a strong basis for a successful career in Academic Pathology."

"Therefore, preference for the subspecialty fellowships and Molecular Pathology fellowships will be given to those who have completed the Oncologic Pathology fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering or those who have had an analogous experience in a similar institution."

Two? Only two? How are you going to do the best super special power fellowship combo (plus happy ending) with only two?

Members don't see this ad :)
Three at a minimum, if you expect to be employed. Four fellowships would genuinely make you a "desirable candidate" Combo meal #1 would be Derm, GI, Heme. But to be safe better do cyto too.:confused: :scared:

Three at a minimum, if you expect to be employed. Four fellowships would genuinely make you a "desirable candidate" Combo meal #1 would be Derm, GI, Heme. But to be safe better do cyto too.:confused: :scared:

Not necessarily... Another acceptable combo would be dermpath, molecular path and pulmonary path (may substitute lungs for GI at no extra charge).
Obviously, you'd have to train with ppl like Bernie, Marty or Phil for Dermpath, do molec path at MDA, MSKCC or Dana-Farber, and go to Colby for pulmonary or Klimstra for GI. But THEN you should be able to land a fairly ok job.

one is enough! i'm tired of people years younger than me earning big bucks while i'm slaving away making crap pay. forget working for a dictator in academics. it's mostly people who are prestige hungry or want cheap labor to do their work for them anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong but between AP, CP and >2 Fellowships, is that not >4 certifications and re-certifications that you have to worry about? All lined up within a year of each other. I know you get used to test taking, but goodness.

Correct me if I am wrong but between AP, CP and >2 Fellowships, is that not >4 certifications and re-certifications that you have to worry about? All lined up within a year of each other. I know you get used to test taking, but goodness.

No. If you did GI or GU or surg path you would never have to recert again.

I don't know if cyto, derm, peds, heme, forensics and neuro will have to recert. My guess is you probably do need to recert for those just like AP/CP.

What I am doing is good to do two fellowships in as it would be hard to learn Heme and Derm on your own. But I wonder if you take one person who did a fellowship in GI and another who did not, if both worked in comm practice for 20 years, would the one with the fellowship would be any better? Those fellowships like GI are good only if you want to do unversity based practice or if you are only doing one fellowship. Otherwise why not learn while in the community and make more $$ instead of getting paid 50k or whatever with less vakay.