2011-2012 Marshall University (Edwards) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Why did you decide to apply to the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine? If you have strong ties to West Virginia, please describe in detail.
2. If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just as a heads up for people applying -- the people at Marshall were the friendliest and most helpful out of all of the medical schools I applied to last year. I'm glad that I'm going here (OOS) and if anyone has questions please let me know. :)

If you are an OOS applicant, just know that you won't hear about an interview until the end of the season. They have all their OOS interviews in one week near the end of the interview season.

Do OOS need to have any connections with the state, cos I do no have anything?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone been offered an interview yet?

Do OOS need to have any connections with the state, cos I do no have anything?

Thanks!

This comes directly from COM catalog:

"Approximately 25 positions will be available to well-qualified nonresidents from states adjoining West Virginia or to nonresidents who have strong ties to West Virginia."

I was OOS last year and received an invite to interview because I live in an adjacent state and lived in Huntington from birth til college. Got a first round OOS interview with a 3.8/33. I would not apply here if you don't have a tie to Huntington or live in Kentucky or Ohio. Just my $0.02.

Hope this helps!

In-State applicant, offered 9/12 interview last week. I was told that the week of 9/10 will be the first week of regular interviews. I know of two applicants that have already interviewed, but there circumstances were extraordinary and precluded them from interviewing later.

Just as a heads up for people applying -- the people at Marshall were the friendliest and most helpful out of all of the medical schools I applied to last year. I'm glad that I'm going here (OOS) and if anyone has questions please let me know. :)

If you are an OOS applicant, just know that you won't hear about an interview until the end of the season. They have all their OOS interviews in one week near the end of the interview season.

I am OOS as well and will be sending in my secondary soon. I have ties to Huntington and Marshall (Family member just completed MD program), and I am hoping for an interview. What was the interview process like here? Do you have any idea what kind of OOS stats are considered competitive?Everyone seems very friendly and helpful. I love the Huntington area and am really excited about this opportunity.

Just so applicants know, Marshall's Medical School is currently on probation and in danger of losing their accreditation.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...rom-LCME-to-Marshall-University/file?nodisp=1

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=109443

From what I have read, schools on probation rarely lose their accreditation, they just make significant changes (usually for the better) to get off probation. Something you should be aware of.

I think this comment is uncalled for... :cool:

Are you at Marshall currently?

I am curious whether this will be a large deterrent to people applying here?
I doubt it makes a difference. It and WVU are both state schools that take many IS. I think most people in Huntington believe Marshall will make the necessary changes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed yesterday (10/18). Super relaxed. Everyone was really nice. Ms. Warren also explained the probation deal...doesn't concern me.

Interviewed yesterday (10/18). Super relaxed. Everyone was really nice. Ms. Warren also explained the probation deal...doesn't concern me.

Are you in state? Am I correct that they don't look at OOS people until around Christmas?

Yep, I'm in state. I've always heard that they hold off on OOS until the end of the year or even beginning of next year.

What was explained to you about the probation?

I also interviewed yesterday (10/18). The interviews themselves were very conversational and relaxed. Ms. Warren is there to answer any questions you may have...even regarding the "dreaded" probation status of the school.

Essentially, the infractions cited by the Liason Committee seemed to be minor ones; e.g. having a formal debt counselor, etc. The funny thing about the whole situation, however, is that the School of Medicine had already implemented the appropriate actions toward rectifying the cites. The kicker, the reason why the Liason Committee was able to cite the school is because they had only had the implementations in place for 3 months when the Committee came to evaluate; it is required that the changes be in effect for a full year.

Bottom line: the school is more than suitable to attend. They have already taken the necessary steps to remedy the minor infractions. Ultimately, the changes will make the school and even better place to receive a med education.

I'm not at all worried. I would attend the school in a heartbeat.

P.S. Fri727--- :)

I also interviewed yesterday (10/18). The interviews themselves were very conversational and relaxed. Ms. Warren is there to answer any questions you may have...even regarding the "dreaded" probation status of the school.

Essentially, the infractions cited by the Liason Committee seemed to be minor ones; e.g. having a formal debt counselor, etc. The funny thing about the whole situation, however, is that the School of Medicine had already implemented the appropriate actions toward rectifying the cites. The kicker, the reason why the Liason Committee was able to cite the school is because they had only had the implementations in place for 3 months when the Committee came to evaluate; it is required that the changes be in effect for a full year.

Bottom line: the school is more than suitable to attend. They have already taken the necessary steps to remedy the minor infractions. Ultimately, the changes will make the school and even better place to receive a med education.

I'm not at all worried. I would attend the school in a heartbeat.

P.S. Fri727--- :)

Good to hear. Just curious here. I am hopeful to get an interview here.

I interviewed at the school on 10/12 and had a similarly pleasant experience with the interviewers and Ms. Warren. As for the LCME probation matter, I think it's a non-issue. As the earlier poster wrote, all of the issues cited were relatively minor, very correctable (especially with the guidance of the LCME consultants who will be working with the school on the issues) and absolutely unrelated to academic issues. There's no threat of the school losing accredidation or of the situation having any impact on current students. Ironically, the quality of admitted applicants (statistically, at least), has gone up markedly over the past 5-10 years. You'll notice in published data that the average MCAT score has risen from ~24 to above 29 in seven years.

As for OOS applicants being considered, Ms. Warren explained to the OOSer who interviewd the same day that I did that she wouldn't receive news until after the first of the year. Right now, the plan is for the ADCOM to meet three times: Nov 1., early January, and March 1, with OOS applicants considered beginning in the January meeting. Applicants presented in November or January will be either accepted or a decision deferred until the next ADCOM meeting. No one interviewed will be rejected prior to their second presentation to the comittee, or the March meeting. In the event that an applicant is accepted, Ms. Warren will contact you by phone the same or the next day, with a formal letter to follow. I appreciate that. I was recently accepted to the other state allopathic school (WVU) and was in suspense for several days after I was presented while I waited to receive the notification letter ... the waiting sucks.

Hope this helps.

I interviewed at the school on 10/12 and had a similarly pleasant experience with the interviewers and Ms. Warren. As for the LCME probation matter, I think it's a non-issue. As the earlier poster wrote, all of the issues cited were relatively minor, very correctable (especially with the guidance of the LCME consultants who will be working with the school on the issues) and absolutely unrelated to academic issues. There's no threat of the school losing accredidation or of the situation having any impact on current students. Ironically, the quality of admitted applicants (statistically, at least), has gone up markedly over the past 5-10 years. You'll notice in published data that the average MCAT score has risen from ~24 to above 29 in seven years.

As for OOS applicants being considered, Ms. Warren explained to the OOSer who interviewd the same day that I did that she wouldn't receive news until after the first of the year. Right now, the plan is for the ADCOM to meet three times: Nov 1., early January, and March 1, with OOS applicants considered beginning in the January meeting. Applicants presented in November or January will be either accepted or a decision deferred until the next ADCOM meeting. No one interviewed will be rejected prior to their second presentation to the comittee, or the March meeting. In the event that an applicant is accepted, Ms. Warren will contact you by phone the same or the next day, with a formal letter to follow. I appreciate that. I was recently accepted to the other state allopathic school (WVU) and was in suspense for several days after I was presented while I waited to receive the notification letter ... the waiting sucks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I assume Wednesdays then are the interview days at Marshall>?

Thanks for the info. I assume Wednesdays then are the interview days at Marshall>?

As far as I can tell, there's no set "interview day". They seem to schedule interviews on whatever day(s) of the week are convenient for the ADCOM interviewers and interviewees, especially OOS interviewees or in-staters living far from Huntington.

As far as I can tell, there's no set "interview day". They seem to schedule interviews on whatever day(s) of the week are convenient for the ADCOM interviewers and interviewees, especially OOS interviewees or in-staters living far from Huntington.

Thanks. Are you leaning one way or the other b/c WVU and Marshall? How did one compare to the other in your opinion?

They interview Monday - Wednesday.

Thanks. Are you leaning one way or the other b/c WVU and Marshall? How did one compare to the other in your opinion?

Well, as of yet, the only the school to which I've been admitted is WVU. According to Mrs. Warren, I should hear something from Marshall this coming Tues./Wed. (Nov. 1/2) after their ADCOM meets, as should other in-state applicants who, like me, were October interviewees. I live in Huntington with my girlfriend who is also applying but isn't as far into the application process and, if given the choice, I would probably prefer to stay here. That having been said, I feel like they're both solid, friendly schools, with JCESOM/MU Med Center having made what appear to be great strides in the last few years in terms of students admitted and facilities and growth in their clinical programs. 5-10 years ago I would have said that WVU SOM was clearly superior to JCESOM, and, while all other things being equal, I would still probably give the edge to WVU in terms of its reputation, its being part of a larger school and bigger teaching hospital and morgantown versus huntington ... especially for an out of state student ... I think, in general, they're now fairly comparable institutions.

Accepted! Cindy just called me a little while ago. So excited!

Received the acceptance call from Cindy around 9:30 pm!!! Feels amazing! Good luck to everyone else!!!

Just spoke with Cindy Warren this morning. Good news for all who thought they might receive an acceptance call last night and didn't. The ADCOM didn't make it through the stack of applicants to be presented; they're going to meet next on November 15 to wrap up those that should have been, but weren't, considered yesterday.

What you don't know: the school changed the grading scale for the class of 2014, a year after matriculation. The idea was to improve board scores, but this left students who had already been in school for a year NO CHOICE but to try and meet the new standards.
Just wondering, but can you explain the changes? They were F/P/high pass/honors, I thought. Don't see how you could get much worse than that.

I thought Marshall did a regular percentage/letter grade system. Also, that post has disappeared. =\

Any other accepted people receive Cindy's e-mail about the Christmas party December 2? Anyone going?

"Just wondering, but can you explain the changes? They were F/P/high pass/honors, I thought. Don't see how you could get much worse than that."

MS1 at MUSOM here, trying to clear up some confusion.
We still have a letter grading system (one of the reasons I chose Marshall) but they raised the scale this year. Now you need a 75 to get a C (passing) up from a 70 in years past. The cut off for B's (80->83) and A's (90->92) have also gone up. There are no +/-.

Hope that helps, I'll check in occasionally to answer any other questions people might have. Feel free to PM me also.

And CONGRATULATIONS to those who've already been accepted. I've been nothing but impressed since I've gotten here, hope to see you all here next year!

Accepted, in-state. Received call from Cindy Wed. morning (11/16). All of my interactions with the school have been very pleasant and, in general, I've been left with a very positive impression.

Good luck to all those still applying!

Congratulations usarmyguy! Have you decided between WVU/Marshall yet? My WVU interview isn't until Dec 21.

Congratulations usarmyguy! Have you decided between WVU/Marshall yet? My WVU interview isn't until Dec 21.

Thanks, and likewise, congrats on your acceptance at JCESOM. If your interview experience at WVUSOM is like mine, then I'm sure it will go smoothly. I haven't yet made an MU vs WVU decision yet. My significant other is applying to both schools and interviewing at JCESOM on Nov. 29. So, depending on where she's accepted or not accepted, the decision may be made for me. If given the choice, however, I don't think it will be easy to make. I've been treated well and heard good things about both schools, so I really don't know what the points of differentiation are between the schools, so I'd probably struggle to find something concrete with which to make a "good" decision. It would probably be a shot in the dark. But, at least based on what (admittedly little, really) that I know, I don't think I can go wrong with either school.

just got the call from cindy -- accepted! :woot:

interviewed 11/14/11 :thumbup:

just got the call from cindy -- accepted! :woot:

interviewed 11/14/11 :thumbup:

Congratulations! Did Cindy tell you about the party Friday and if so, are you going?

I only know 1, maybe 2, guys from my undergrad that are going to be there.

Congratulations! Did Cindy tell you about the party Friday and if so, are you going?

I only know 1, maybe 2, guys from my undergrad that are going to be there.

Received Cindy's email about the holiday party friday. Since I live in Huntington, I'm considering going.

thanks! i'm pretty excited!

unfortunately i'll be out of town on friday :( would've loved to have gone and met some more people from the school!

OOS invites are out. Anyone have advice/insights on interviewing here?

Super laid back. Nothing to worry about at all. They are more interested in getting to know you as a person than picking at your application. My interviewers asked about hobbies and movies and books....they told me a lot about themselves as well.

I am OOS and I have my interview in January. I hope everything goes well, any suggestions?

does anyone know if all of the OOS invites were sent out at once? or are they released gradually?

does anyone know if all of the OOS invites were sent out at once? or are they released gradually?

I have no idea. I'm sure Mrs. Warren would be happy to answer this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cindy mentioned to me that she was going to open up interview scheduling for all OOS applicants of interest this past thursday (12/2).

for those who have been accepted, do we just have to respond with a "hold my spot" or "don't hold my spot" within 2 weeks? it doesn't look like we have to send a deposit yet or anything...just want to make sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.