2018-2019 Marshall University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Prompts are the same as last years. 5000 character limit on each.

Why did you decide to apply to Marshall?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine?

If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

They do also ask for moving/traffic violations and give a couple boxes to explain any ties to WV, Marshall, or the School of Medicine.

Nonresidents won't start being reviewed till November, with interviews starting in January.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS (bordering state) checking in. Secondary received and submitted earlier today!

Prompts are the same as last years. 5000 character limit on each, can't remember if spaces count, but I didn't even use close to 5000.

Why did you decide to apply to Marshall?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine?

If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

They do also ask for moving/traffic violations and give a couple boxes to explain any ties to WV, Marshall, or the School of Medicine.

Nonresidents won't start being reviewed till November, with interviews starting in January.

Good luck folks

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just dropping in to say good luck to all!

Almost finished here, so feel free to message with any questions (keeping in mind I am only one opinion). You may have already figured it out from threads of past years, but our applicants/students are probably the least interested in SDN in the entire country lol. I come back occasionally to try and help a bit since it helped me alot when I applied.

Nothing but pride and gratitude for this place. The department I am applying to for residency this year just won a national competition for residents' research, and they are the nicest, most down-to-earth people who go over and above to help you learn on your rotation, get in on projects, etc. I have been so pleased (with a few exceptions, of course:p) with the faculty, administrators, attendings, residents, and fellow students.

hmu if you have questions. On surgery for the next two months so answering time will be unpredictable, but I promise to get back to you.

Hope to meet you come interview season!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS (bordering state) checking in. Secondary received and submitted earlier today!

Nonresidents won't start being reviewed till November
, with interviews starting in January.

Good luck folks
Nonresidents as in non-WV residents?

Is the correct abbreviation MUSOM or JCESOM?

OOS
Really wish interviews were sooner than Jan. This school seems like a good fit for me as I am interested in practicing rural medicine.
Concerned won't get to interview because I don't have ties to W.VA. I do live in a bordering state though.

OOS with direct connection with Marshall. Hoping for an II :).

Could someone explain the reason for listing moving/traffic violations? I have two tickets from a year ago, one of which that looks really bad out of context

Could someone explain the reason for listing moving/traffic violations? I have two tickets from a year ago, one of which that looks really bad out of context

I always thought it was a test of honesty. I also have a violation that looks bad out of context. I explained it as best I could in the limited characters they give. That’s all you can do. Just let them know you can explain further if needed.

OOS - secondary submitted a few weeks ago. Strong ties to WV and Marshall, hoping for some good news! bummer we have to wait to be reviewed until november

Hey everyone...does anyone see where we can pay the supplemental fee? It says completed next to the prereqs, and finished next to the supplemental. I know that OOS aren't reviewed until mid-November so I was wondering if maybe that had anything to do with it not being visible or if I'm just missing it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone...does anyone see where we can pay the supplemental fee? It says completed next to the prereqs, and finished next to the supplemental. I know that OOS aren't reviewed until mid-November so I was wondering if maybe that had anything to do with it not being visible or if I'm just missing it

They should have sent the link to pay in a separate email. I found this out when I emailed them the same question lol

Hey guys, how long (on average) have your all's responses been to the secondary questions. For some I have about 2000 characters, no where near the 5000 limit.

They should have sent the link to pay in a separate email. I found this out when I emailed them the same question lol
oh wow thanks I COMPLETELY missed that
Hey guys, how long (on average) have your all's responses been to the secondary questions. For some I have about 2000 characters, no where near the 5000 limit.
I honestly don't remember how many characters but I know it was nowhere near the limit. I've read mixed things but for the most part most schools seem to not care as long as you answer the question effectively

II today, IS, LizzyM 70-75, complete pretty early.
Did you have your interview? How did it go?
I wish they didn't wait so late to intv. OOS students because deadlines to accept and hold my spot at other places I have been accepted will have passed by the time Marshall intvs. OOS applicants.

Hey everyone!

Current medical student here at Marshall. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone interviewing here soon! Feel free to hmu with any questions you all may have, and I’ll do my best to answer!

Best wishes everyone!!

Hey everyone!

Current medical student here at Marshall. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone interviewing here soon! Feel free to hmu with any questions you all may have, and I’ll do my best to answer!

Best wishes everyone!!

Thanks, would you be able to tell us things you like about the school and things you wish were a little different? Also how open is Marshall to OOS students from the Appalachian area. I spoke extensively about West Virginia in my essays, as I have family and strong ties. But what else should OOS students work on to get an edge when applying here.

Thanks, would you be able to tell us things you like about the school and things you wish were a little different? Also how open is Marshall to OOS students from the Appalachian area. I spoke extensively about West Virginia in my essays, as I have family and strong ties. But what else should OOS students work on to get an edge when applying here.

Happy to provide some more information.

Things I like:
1. The educational and clinical faculty. I cannot begin to explain how wonderful the faculty is here at Marshall. The educators have a genuine care for the students and go above and beyond to ensure student success.
2. The family environment. From day one you have a faculty and class that you can rely on. Here at Marshall, our medical school really is one giant family, and everyone makes you feel welcome. For those of you all that interview here, you will get a good feel for this on interview day.

The only thing that I personally don’t care for is the A,B,C grading system. I am personally in favor for the pass/fail system, but other than that, that is my only complaint. However, I believe a pass/fail system may come into place in the near future (I can not speak for certain on this though).

In regards to your question about OOS students from Appalachia, having strong ties to West Virginia and the school is a plus for sure with there being so few OOS positions. In regards to gaining an edge, I’m not for sure if there is something specific I can tell you. At the end of the day, the admissions committee is really focused on finding individuals that fit the mission of the school, and finding candidates that have a strong desire to improving healthcare in West Virginia and Appalachia. I would encourage all applicants, both IS and OOS, to review the mission statement of the school.

Hope this helps everyone out! If anyone has anymore questions, let me know! Always happy to help!

Best of luck everybody!

Would it still be reasonable to add this school on if OOS. I do have a case for rural medicine, and according to MSAR, II are not sent for OOS people until December. Stats are relatively high compared to their medians as well.

Would it still be reasonable to add this school on if OOS. I do have a case for rural medicine, and according to MSAR, II are not sent for OOS people until December. Stats are relatively high compared to their medians as well.
Go for it if you have strong ties to WV or Marshall. If not then its probably not worth it

II Dec 15 any info from the future doctors that have already applied about the interview day would be great thanks ahead of time!

II Dec 15 any info from the future doctors that have already applied about the interview day would be great thanks ahead of time!

If you wind up with multiple interviews... this will likely be your favorite. It will be about as relaxed as an interview can be. You'll start off chatting to Cindy Warren, the Assistant Dean for Admissions. She's awesome, and she's been involved with admissions for every single class that MUSOM has ever admitted.

Then you'll chat with some current students while you wait for your turn to interview. There's a good chance that the Dean, Dr Shapiro, will be there, although you might not expect him to be the Dean as he'll probably be wearing sweatpants and have his feet up on the table while he's talking to you.

Interviews are one-on-one, open file, and you'll have two of them. One is often somebody non-medical, the other is usually a clinician or professor.

Oh, and wear something green. They'll like that.

In state
complete early July
II 09/23/18 scheduled for 10/27
LizzyM 66
Good luck to anyone else with interviewing this weekend!

Accepted tonight! Received a call from Cindy Warren around 7:45pm.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed on October 13, accepted on 10/30! Received a call at 7:30 pm.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS, probably just getting a silent R, but following the thread regardless of this fact.

Can any current students comment on what living in Huntington is like? I am currently a little concerned about the amount of crime in the area, spread out medical campus, and also lack of diversity.

Can any current students comment on what living in Huntington is like? I am currently a little concerned about the amount of crime in the area, spread out medical campus, and also lack of diversity.

Graduating next month from Marshall with a B.S. in biochemistry, and starting at MUSOM in the fall. I’ve lived in Huntington for the past 3.5 years and have fallen in love with the community. 2.5 of those years I have lived off campus, and while it’s true there is crime in Huntington, I don’t see it as much different than any other city. Sure, there are elevated crime levels on the west side, but as long as you stay on campus, or relatively close to the downtown area you’ll be fine. The police in Huntington also do a great job of maintaining a steady presence. I can’t speak for the spread out medical campus as I haven’t yet experienced it, but I can say that I feel we have a decent bit of diversity at Marshall. I also feel that we have a progressive atmosphere in which everyone feels welcome. As a member of the LGBTQ community, I’ve never felt excluded or discriminated against (only speaking for myself here). When people say that Marshall is like a big family, I truly think they mean that. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions about Marshall or Huntington life!

Crime... fine. Campus... fine. Diversity... fine. Guessing you're OOS, and if so, certain you don't have an acceptance yet. So why not be concerned with that for now, and 'mayb' you can then cross the other bridges when they come.

Hello, current medical student here. In addition to going to medical school here, I have lived in Huntington for the past 20 years. As far as crime, like all cities, some areas of the city are worse than other parts, but I have never felt unsafe in all my years in living here.

As far as the spread out medical campus, I actually enjoy the fact that we operate out of multiple facilities because it gives each class plenty of study spaces. Also, all facilities are practically within walking distance of each other, besides the VA which is about a 10-15 min drive from the hospital.

In regards to your concern over lack of diversity, I can assure you this is in no way an issue here. My class in addition to other classes here, are made up of a great variety of individuals from all different backgrounds.

Unfortunately, Huntington seems to get a bad reputation in regards to the issues that you were concerned about, but if you end up going to medical school here, you will find that Huntington is a safe, welcoming, and overall great place to attend medical school.

Hope this helps out! As always, let me know if you have any more questions. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 2 users

I’ve lived in the Huntington area for 20+ years and it’s pretty safe. Granted some areas can be dodgy at night, but you can say that about most towns/cities. If you don’t want to live in Huntington, there are nice areas close by (such as Barboursville, Guyan Estates, etc.) that are only 10-15 min from campus and have reasonable rent.

It’s true the campus is a little spread out but you can look at the MS1 schedule on their academic portal for more info about where classes are held. To my understanding (I haven’t started here yet), the most of the MS1 classes are in the Biotech center on 3rd Avenue by the main campus. Some days MS1s might have events at the Byrd Clinic and later in the first semester MS1s are at the VA medical center for cadaver lab. Also, the two major hospitals in the area (Cabell and St.Mary’s) are associated with the school and are easily accessible.

With respect to diversity, I have had several friends go through the program and they mentioned the class is actually quite diverse. With a relatively small class of 75 you have a better chance to get to know people and learn about their backgrounds and experiences. I think this is a strength of MUSOM vs other programs. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

OOS, probably just getting a silent R, but following the thread regardless of this fact.

Don’t worry! I think they review OOS applications in December and conduct interviews for OOS starting in January! Best of luck!

As a KY resident from the tri-state area, do you have any ideas when I should expect to hear word for an II? Upon reading this thread, I understand they may have only just started looking at our applications but nevertheless, I was curious.

Also, as a student with an average to slightly below average GPA, is it worth while to submit my mid-term GPA update or wait for my semester grades to be finished?

Thanks and good luck to those applying!

As a KY resident from the tri-state area, do you have any ideas when I should expect to hear word for an II? Upon reading this thread, I understand they may have only just started looking at our applications but nevertheless, I was curious.

Also, as a student with an average to slightly below average GPA, is it worth while to submit my mid-term GPA update or wait for my semester grades to be finished?

Thanks and good luck to those applying!
It seems as if last year they started giving II to OOS around this time (dependant on when you were complete). If you are concerned about getting screened out because of your GPA, I would say there is definitely no harm in submitting an update and then updating them again when you receive your final grades. Since they accept so few OOS, continued interest would probably work in your favor.

Hey everyone! I was just checking to see if any OOS students received a II yet? I am from Kentucky and Marshall is my top choice! I know they should just now be sending them out and I know I shouldn't be worried that I haven't got one yet since it was early but I would love to know when everyone else gets one!

Hey everyone! I was just checking to see if any OOS students received a II yet? I am from Kentucky and Marshall is my top choice! I know they should just now be sending them out and I know I shouldn't be worried that I haven't got one yet since it was early but I would love to know when everyone else gets one!

In the same boat. Silence here, too. Patience is the name of the game.

Hey All, I am an OOS Student from Virginia and I received an interview for January. Just wanted to let everyone know they are starting to extend interviews to OOS Students.

Also from Virginia and received an interview here a couple days ago.