2011-2012 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I'm a (rising) second year, part of the first class with the new curriculum. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about UVA.

Members don't see this ad :)
What sold you on UVA?

The atmosphere. Everyone is so happy here, and has lives outside of medical school. Another school I applied to, the students had class all day, and then would go home and study for hours more, with little free time. At UVA, we have a variety of activities that students participate in, and there are always people going out and having fun, even with the workload of med school.

USNews reports that UVA had a 15.2% acceptance rate in 2010. UVA's own website reports that its total interview rate was 12.6%. What's the deal? I assume USNews is wrong.

They might be using different numbers. The UVA website might be looking at complete applications, while US News might be looking at primary applications. Or the website could be off. The numbers I have list 4,200 applications and 600 interviews, which would be a 14% interview rate. There were about 300 acceptances prior to May 15th this year, so once you interview, you have about a 50% chance of acceptance.

Definitely applying here. I'm IS, so :xf:

how was your first year? anything you loved/disliked?

how was your first year? anything you loved/disliked?

I'm in love with my class. We have such a wonderful mix of people, and we all really care for each other. There's 155 of us, but I think I'm closer to more people in my class now than I was in college.

I really like the clinical aspects we get exposed to. The very first week, we were down in the simulation center, and we actually learned a lot of skills (blood pressure, phlebotomy, allergy testing, etc) before the class above us did, even though we were separated by a year. We interview patients (both real and standardized) all the time, and we get exposed to different types of patients (for instance, we got to do ultrasounds on pregnant women when we were learning embryology). Plus, a lot of the clinical faculty that come teach us are amazing.

A lot of the things I disliked are nitpicky things that didn't work so well in the new curriculum, and those will be changed for later classes. I'm especially jealous that next year's class gets a fall break each year, when we didn't get one last year and don't get one this year. Plus, they get an additional three weeks for summer break that we don't get (we're actually still in class right now; we have this week and another two weeks until we get out).

I thought the pace of some of the courses was a little off, but they're changing that starting with next years class, by removing a lot of time for one class and adding time to other classes. Some were more organization things that I hoped are fixed for future classes, things like posting resources in a reasonable time frame, integrating pharm into the curriculum a little more, etc. The administrators are really receptive to feedback, and I think the classes below us will really benefit.

But, in general, I do like the new curriculum. It makes more sense, and there's a lot of application, so hopefully we'll remember a lot more when we get to the wards than the classes above us did. Plus, you know, we finish in December, instead of March.

what was your interview like?

what was your interview like?

UVA's interview day was by far the best interview day I had, both times I applied. They're really great about answering your questions, tours are given by fourth years who have an idea of the whole experience, rather than just a week or two, and the lunch is the best you will get. Seriously... they bring you to a restaurant off the Lawn designed for faculty, and it's wonderful. Especially dessert.

The interviews themselves are really laid back and conversational; the interviewers know your file very well, so you don't have to answer a bunch of redundant questions. It's all about getting to know who you are beyond what's on paper. It's great.

was it with faculty only? how many interviews did you have?

Members don't see this ad :)
was it with faculty only? how many interviews did you have?

On any given day, there are 3-4 interviewers... there were 3 when I interviewed, but they increased the number of people they interview from 6 to 8, so I imagine they added another interviewer. When there are 3, there are two faculty interviewers, and one student interviewer. Each applicant has two interviews, so you could have two faculty interviews, or a student interview plus a faculty interview. Student representatives on the admissions committee have the same power as faculty representatives.

hey everyone, i am going to be an m1 at uva this fall. like mvenus, i will be popping in time to time to answer questions. i absolutely fell in love with uva, and hopefully i can give a differing perspective on things. good luck!

first post on SDN...this is one of my top choices!!!

Other than VA residents, does UVA have any sort of regional preference? I'm from NC and would love to get in!

first post on SDN...this is one of my top choices!!!

Other than VA residents, does UVA have any sort of regional preference? I'm from NC and would love to get in!

Working for you? No. Working against you? Also no. I'm from Colorado, and I have several classmates from the West Coast. A lot of people are from Maryland. We have a couple from South Carolina and Georgia. Over half our class is out of state, so you got that working for you.

I loved UVA for undergrad (even though I ended up elsewhere), and would love to attend med school there. I'm wondering if it's even worth applying with a 3.3-3.4/32Q though. From what's already been said it doesn't seem the IS preference is too remarkable. I believe the incoming class had something like 3.75/34. Perhaps I should give it a go anyway?

I loved UVA for undergrad (even though I ended up elsewhere), and would love to attend med school there. I'm wondering if it's even worth applying with a 3.3-3.4/32Q though. From what's already been said it doesn't seem the IS preference is too remarkable. I believe the incoming class had something like 3.75/34. Perhaps I should give it a go anyway?

Yes, our class has the highest stats in UVA's history. But remember that half the class has stats below that. The worse that'll happen if you apply is that you'll lose some money and end up rejected. But you can't get admission if you don't apply. Besides, UVA cares a lot about the whole application, so if you have something interesting going on, then go for it... they might find you interesting enough to offer you a shot.

I have to disagree with this. The US News claim that, of the 510 IS applicants, 144 received interviews (which is a touch high), and 125 received acceptances. 71 matriculated. That's incredibly favorable, so long as you get an interview.

OOS, it's similar if you get an interview. 2285 applicants, 390 interviews, 299 acceptances.

It will be interesting if this trend continues for the next class, the 2nd year of curriculum changes, or if UVa gets more applicants.

EDIT: These are the most recent numbers from USNews.

Awww man, early clinical exp...YES!

I'm really excited for this. GOGOGOOGOOGOGO UVA!

Has anyone received a secondary from UVA yet? Thanks

hoping for an interview here so I after I can drink excessively and listen to DMB at Miller's

Anyone in-state get one yet? Or are we talking about snail mail?

I am In-State, and I received the email at 3:32.

Can someone post the link? I have this feeling that UVA's e-mail system doesn't accept e-mails with the "+" sign as valid even though they are...

Can someone post the link? I have this feeling that UVA's e-mail system doesn't accept e-mails with the "+" sign as valid even though they are...

Nope - you have to log in with a password and ID that they give you in the email. Sorry, it will come!

Nope - you have to log in with a password and ID that they give you in the email. Sorry, it will come!
I have a feeling I'm going to need to contact them next week.

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school? (350 words)

2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (350 words)

3. What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this? (350 words)

Also an in-state with + in the email here, did not get invite.

i think you can change your preferred email.

Submitted the secondary. Let's go UVA!

Does anyone know if they screen before sending out the secondary?
I'm just a student and this isn't any sort of official answer, but I'm pretty sure they don't screen.

I had heard that they do screen but im not sure...

okay i guess i was misinformed. does anyone know when they start looking at applications?

I sent in my application Friday night. Haven't received a secondary yet.....

anyone fill out the instate form yet

did anyone else log in to find that some wrong information had already been filled in?

Four essays is a bit too much..IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.