2011-2012 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else not really like the second essay? I feel like I've offered a wealth of information about my contribution to class diversity on the primary, and I'll just come off like an a-hole if I talk some more about how awesome/unique I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else not really like the second essay? I feel like I've offered a wealth of information about my contribution to class diversity on the primary, and I'll just come off like an a-hole if I talk some more about how awesome/unique I am.

I actually really like the 2nd essay! Gives me a chance to talk about one of my interests I didn't mention on AMCAS because it didn't fit in any of the categories. The 3rd essay...not so much. I feel like there's only so many things you can choose.

Called UVA today, looks like they do have some sort of issue, possibly with e-mail addresses using "+". They're going to try and get that fixed, but in the mean time if you are AMCAS verified and haven't gotten a secondary invite, you should give them a call.

hoping for an interview here so I after I can drink excessively and listen to DMB at Miller's

Just wanted to pop in to :thumbup: this and to say go to Miller's for the jazz and $2 beers (if they still do that).

I work right down the hall from the admissions office and when I was leaving work today, I saw a man reading folders in the adcom conference room. I wanted to go in and talk to him so badly..

At least we know they're working on them already.

I work right down the hall from the admissions office and when I was leaving work today, I saw a man reading folders in the adcom conference room. I wanted to go in and talk to him so badly..

At least we know they're working on them already.

The mysterious man awaits...

Just wanted to pop in to :thumbup: this and to say go to Miller's for the jazz and $2 beers (if they still do that).

I always go down there when I see DMB in Charlottesville, and yes they do the 2 dollar beers...it's great.

hoping to go here for some beers if I am lucky enough to interview here :xf:

The more I think about UVA, the more I really like the program. I'm getting pretty excited about their focus on humanism and being an all-around ideal physician.

Best of luck to all of you guys/girls

Submitted! All letters in, application complete, let's have some fun!

I always go down there when I see DMB in Charlottesville, and yes they do the 2 dollar beers...it's great.

hoping to go here for some beers if I am lucky enough to interview here :xf:

I think DMB only comes down to cville once a year or so..

Members don't see this ad :)
Recieved the secondary this morning, just need to edit my essays.

Im writing the secondary now and I have a bit of a concern.

Did ya'll refer to the school of medicine as UVa or did you write it out every time? Im cutting it a bit close on the word count as it is.

Im writing the secondary now and I have a bit of a concern.

Did ya'll refer to the school of medicine as UVa or did you write it out every time? Im cutting it a bit close on the word count as it is.
I think UVA is fine. I live in Virginia and everyone calls it that, and I don't think the secondary is so formal as to require the long name every time you want to refer to it.

The first interview invite came out this day last year.

Neuroticism is a GO in this thread. I repeat, commence neuroticisms :)

Congrats proto!!

Interview invite! This is by far my top choice, so I'm actually a little leery of interviewing here first. Guess it's time to start mock interviewing hard.

Information for those interested:
IS, secondary complete 7/12, 3.7+ cGPA, 3.6+ sGPA, 36.

Question for you guys: USN&WR data from last year indicates a really high accepted:interviewed ratio. Is that UVA's typical policy or a fluke?

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Interview invite! This is by far my top choice, so I'm actually a little leery of interviewing here first. Guess it's time to start mock interviewing hard.

UVA has by far the most relaxing interview you will go on. The interviewers know your application cold, and just talk to you about it and your other interests. They want to get to know you as a person, know what you're passionate about, etc.

Question for you guys: USN&WR data from last year indicates a really high interviewed:accepted ratio. Is that UVA's typical policy or a fluke?

It seems to be, yes. I have the MSAR from two years ago and it's the same trend.

Congrats to everyone! I'm anxiously waiting/hoping for mine!

Interview invite!!!

To current MS's...will new dates open up anytime soon? I'm already gng out on 9/7 and 9/12, and all of UVA's dates are on those days or right after them...any advice?

Interview invite!!!

To current MS's...will new dates open up anytime soon? I'm already gng out on 9/7 and 9/12, and all of UVA's dates are on those days or right after them...any advice?

same situation, unless i move other stuff

Interview invite! Anyone know if more dates will open up?

New to SDN. Anxiously awaiting an interview invite (is it possible to refresh your email TOO many times?). Congrats to those who got them already. With those awesome stats you deserve it!:xf:

what's the ratio?

As per USN&WR 2010, Accepted/Interviewed
Overall: 0.79
IS: 0.85
OOS: 0.77

So a slight preference for IS, but still very good chances relative to most schools.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if UVA sends invites out in batches, or just whenever they get to you? I was complete on 7/12 and haven't heard anything

I was complete here on 7/6. Think its a bad sign to not have received an interview invitation?

I was complete here on 7/6. Think its a bad sign to not have received an interview invitation?

No. They have a high interview to acceptance rate. They send out interview invites to those they really want first, hence the great stats.

And the neurosis commences. It is the very first day of invites. Most people will not get an interview until later this season. Relax or it will be a very long season for you.

Finally submitted! Just waiting on letters....

Got an interview invite earlier this afternoon! Complete on 7/11. OOS 39S, sGPA 4.0, cGPA 3.95

D@mn u caught my question before I took it off, I guess I was overthinking it...oh well, and I'm sure more batches will be out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.