~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ooops

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there, first off good evening guys and gals :D

Well here goes nothing:

I am a student from Puerto Rico and I have a 3.35 Gpa and 3.00Sgpa (both of them are going up to 3.5 and 3.30+ respectively..I know that for a fact :D) I have yet to take the MCAT but I am planning to do so very soon.

For a number of reasons (including health and family) my grades have not been the best (i kick myself around a lot for this) but my desire to attend a DO school is very high.

I believe that I am a well rounded candidate for the following reasons:
- A couple of EC's--> Including but not limited to, Music and sports
- Good to Great LoRs from Professors in Sciences, History, and others
- A couple of Comm. Serv. Hours
- Completing a BA in History ( would that be a disadvantage?)

I believe that i will be graduating with a GPA at or above 3.5 and a sGpa at or above 3.30

What scores would I need to get in the Mcat to even consider applying to DO schools?

Does anyone know if DO schools have a sort of Hispanic MCAT curve? (I have heard that MD schools and Grad schools take into account that English is not the first language in PR and oftentimes use that to justify low-scores)

I know its not the most stellar of apps but...hey, thats life lol

Hey there, first off good evening guys and gals :D

Well here goes nothing:

I am a student from Puerto Rico and I have a 3.35 Gpa and 3.00Sgpa (both of them are going up to 3.5 and 3.30+ respectively..I know that for a fact :D) I have yet to take the MCAT but I am planning to do so very soon.

For a number of reasons (including health and family) my grades have not been the best (i kick myself around a lot for this) but my desire to attend a DO school is very high.

I believe that I am a well rounded candidate for the following reasons:
- A couple of EC's--> Including but not limited to, Music and sports
- Good to Great LoRs from Professors in Sciences, History, and others
- A couple of Comm. Serv. Hours
- Completing a BA in History ( would that be a disadvantage?)

I believe that i will be graduating with a GPA at or above 3.5 and a sGpa at or above 3.30

What scores would I need to get in the Mcat to even consider applying to DO schools?

Does anyone know if DO schools have a sort of Hispanic MCAT curve? (I have heard that MD schools and Grad schools take into account that English is not the first language in PR and oftentimes use that to justify low-scores)

I know its not the most stellar of apps but...hey, thats life lol

Dude... check the date on this thread.

You have a decent shot if you apply early and do well on your MCAT. Don't think about MCAT curves until you actually take the thing and get your score back.

You should get more clinical volunteering in (assuming you haven't)... otherwise, you should snag some interviews if you apply early and broadly.

And no, your BA in history will not be a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude... check the date on this thread.

You have a decent shot if you apply early and do well on your MCAT. Don't think about MCAT curves until you actually take the thing and get your score back.

You should get more clinical volunteering in (assuming you haven't)... otherwise, you should snag some interviews if you apply early and broadly.

And no, your BA in history will not be a disadvantage.
My thoughts exactly..... Wow talk about resurrecting a thread that I read somewhat in Iraq. :laugh:

Hi guys, could someone give me an idea on my chances for DO schools. MCAT-33, Undergrad Biochem Major - 2.4 GPA, Retook all the Science classes + few elective classes (over 7 years old) - 3.92 GPA (92 quarter units). I want to do Post-Bac program. Is a Post-Bac program the right choice for me to make? as my next step?

Background:
I graduated in 2007 with a Biochem Degree, but my GPA was way low in the "2.4 range"-very sad... I was young and naive at the time, I worked a lot of hours in my college years and all I wanted at the time was to graduate with Bachelor degree and start working. However, for the past two years I went back to school to retake my science prereq. courses for Nursing school (requirements: science classes must be within 7 years). I did very well in all of them I ended up with a 3.92 GPA in all the science classes as well as a few electives. I think part of it was I am more mature now as an individual. Thus more responsible. I just got accepted into an RN program- will start this september, but wondering if I still have a chance at a DO school. Since I graduated from my four years--medical school has always been a dream for me and I am willing to do whatever it takes to reach that goal.

Will I have a chance for DO schools? My brother-in-law is an MD, but I am too embarass to ask for his opinions due to my poor grades as an undergrad.

What are my chances forum. Not a 2008 thread bump 8/

Reactions: 1 users
What on Gods green earth would ever compel you to post that in a thread that was from before I graduated high school

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user