2009-2010 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else out there thinking of taking them up on the offer? Seems like most people here are opting not to, but anyone other than me planning to do it?

I'm going to go with the MPH option. I originally wanted to do an MD/MPH but decided against it b/c I didn't want to be in more debt... but 40k is enough to cover MPH tuition + living for a year so... free MPH in my eyes. I wouldn't just defer for 40k, but the MD/MPH program is normally 5 years so I'm going to graduate the same time I otherwise would have - except I'll be doing MPH first year instead of between 3rd/4th.

Edit: If it was straight deferral I think they'd have to throw closer to 100k at me =P

P.S. to whoever asked earlier, yes it's 10k/year over 4 years for both options.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad that that worked out so well for you. Congrats on the free MPH :)

Did we get some information for a housing site specifically for med students? I seem to have lost mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else out there thinking of taking them up on the offer? Seems like most people here are opting not to, but anyone other than me planning to do it?

I'm going to go with the MPH option. I originally wanted to do an MD/MPH but decided against it b/c I didn't want to be in more debt... but 40k is enough to cover MPH tuition + living for a year so... free MPH in my eyes. I wouldn't just defer for 40k, but the MD/MPH program is normally 5 years so I'm going to graduate the same time I otherwise would have - except I'll be doing MPH first year instead of between 3rd/4th.

Edit: If it was straight deferral I think they'd have to throw closer to 100k at me =P

P.S. to whoever asked earlier, yes it's 10k/year over 4 years for both options.

Hi Cyradis!

I am doing the MPH deferment as well. I look forward to meeting you!

According to a post in the Facebook group, the class size was at 183 before they sent us the scholarship email this morning. Hopefully it gets them to where they wanted.

On a side note, as long as they've got it planned to accommodate us all during rotations when we start in early 2012, I think I'd prefer the larger size of 162 to the original plan of 148. The new building has more than enough space for that size, and the 162 number fits better into their plans for us to break up into groups of 9. I think the 140-170 range is ideal for a class size.

According to a post in the Facebook group, the class size was at 183 before they sent us the scholarship email this morning. Hopefully it gets them to where they wanted.

On a side note, as long as they've got it planned to accommodate us all during rotations when we start in early 2012, I think I'd prefer the larger size of 162 to the original plan of 148. The new building has more than enough space for that size, and the 162 number fits better into their plans for us to break up into groups of 9. I think the 140-170 range is ideal for a class size.

I hope those 6 people will also get the scholarship

I hope those 6 people will also get the scholarship
I imagine most of those people withdrew for other waitlists, although I have nothing at all to base that on haha. It did seem most of the "UVa vs XYZ" threads that popped up due to waitlist movement resulted in people staying with UVa. I just remembered people usually have ~2 weeks to decide when offered a waitlist spot, so it's possible more might drop, they just haven't decided yet.

I totally understand why so many people are picking uva over other top schools; its got an awesome new curriculum, brand new buildings, friendly staff and students, and it seems incredibly relaxed (more so than ANY school I interviewed at). But I do feel sorry for people applying next year because it seems they will be accepting a lot less people than usual now.

Does anyone have the password for the off-grounds housing? Could someone PM it to me?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a decent number of people took them up on their offer. According to a faculty post in the FB group, we were down to 170 yesterday.

Just heard today from someone who's "in" on the admissions process that other med schools have been notified of UVA's over-enrollment and have been helping UVA by accepting students off of their waitlists to reduce UVA's over-enrollment.

Just heard today from someone who's "in" on the admissions process that other med schools have been notified of UVA's over-enrollment and have been helping UVA by accepting students off of their waitlists to reduce UVA's over-enrollment.

Whoa

Yup. So if you're writing letter of intent/interest to a school you are waitlisted at, mention that you've committed to UVA so far but would like to go to their school.

Excerpt from a UVa news release yesterday:

"The class of 2014 at the School of Medicine will be the largest ever, with perhaps as many as 157 students, Dean Steven T. DeKosky said. The introduction of a new curriculum focused on small-team problem solving and individual study, along with the opening of the new Claude Moore Medical Education Building, he said, were key selling points for the nearly 4,300 applicants.

Under-represented minority students make up 20 percent of the class – the most ever – but the class is roughly two-thirds male and only one-third female. DeKosky said that's consistent with a national trend of fewer women going into medicine."

"The class of 2014 at the School of Medicine will be the largest ever, with perhaps as many as 157 students, Dean Steven T. DeKosky said. The introduction of a new curriculum focused on small-team problem solving and individual study, along with the opening of the new Claude Moore Medical Education Building, he said, were key selling points for the nearly 4,300 applicants.

Under-represented minority students make up 20 percent of the class – the most ever – but the class is roughly two-thirds male and only one-third female. DeKosky said that's consistent with a national trend of fewer women going into medicine."

anyone know if this is true? 2/3 male and 1/3 female is pretty crazy...wonder why that happened, presumably they admitted around 50:50

I was referring to the question about women applying to medical school.

Wow. More people have withdrawn, at least. Maybe we'll get down to that magic number they were hoping for in the first place by the end of the summer :)

And only 1/3 female? That seems strange, but whatever.

Wow, anyone know if the 1/3rd 2/3rd gender ratio is historically true at UVA? That's a pretty crazy ratio.

Wow, anyone know if the 1/3rd 2/3rd gender ratio is historically true at UVA? That's a pretty crazy ratio.

I don't think so, and I think that the dean trying to justify this one year anomaly as reflecting some trend in admissions nationwide is nothing but CYA bullspit for the overenrollment mess they created this year.

Last year was 43% women. I'm not really sure how their overprojection would lead to a decrease in female enrollment (or an increase in minority enrollment?), but perhaps that's the cause.

I was hoping they'd stick with a class size of 162, since that number fits so well with their whole 'groups of 9 are best for teaching' deal. Who knows, maybe ~4 more people will drop and we'll finish up at 153.

Is there a list of the tools we need to buy for school? Can we pick up our stethoscope, pen light, etc at UVA or should we get them somewhere on the internet?

Got this in an email this week:

Departments Begin Moving into Claude Moore Medical Education Building

The Claude Moore Medical Education Building is very close to completion. Some of its occupants have begun moving into the facility. Last Thursday, a group of more than 20 faculty members got their first look at some of the technologies which will be available in the Learning Studio. The Director of Educational Technology walked the group through the video, digital whiteboard and recording capabilities of the studio. All users of the facility will soon train on how to formally incorporate the room’s technology into their teaching.

While the faculty members were touring the Learning Studio, some students were using the patient exam rooms for their OB/GYN testing. The Simulation Center is rapidly gearing up to begin offering training.

Once the departments have finished their moves and all of the technology is operational, we will open up the building to formal tours for all faculty, staff, and students. Tours should take place in late July.

For those of you who have already been accepted to U.Va. School of Medicine, I'd like to direct you to our Craigslist ad for 2-bedroom apartments on Brandon Avenue, which is as close to the medical campus and hospital as you can get, and equally proximal to everything that makes U.Va. a unique place, such as the Lawn, Rotunda, the Corner bars/restaurants, etc.:

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/apa/1832857238.html

We offer long-term lease discounts to medical students. Many of our tenants decide to stay in these apartments through the entire four years of medical school.

I am a former U.Va. student and we love to have U.Va. medical students at our apartments.

Does anyone know if I need a car for first year? Would I be okay with bike+zip car? I have a place about 0.5 mile from the hospital so I can walk/bike that easily but what about everything else?

Does anyone know if I need a car for first year? Would I be okay with bike+zip car? I have a place about 0.5 mile from the hospital so I can walk/bike that easily but what about everything else?

I think you will be OK with that arrangement; the addition of zip cars to the area is a big help. But for rotations, approx half of them done out of town, it is a different story.

There is a lot of street crime - assaults, break-ins, vandalism, etc. - in the area around the med school. Use common sense and avoid walking home by yourself late at night.

I think you will be OK with that arrangement; the addition of zip cars to the area is a big help. But for rotations, approx half of them done out of town, it is a different story.

There is a lot of street crime - assaults, break-ins, vandalism, etc. - in the area around the med school. Use common sense and avoid walking home by yourself late at night.

Yeah I will definitely buy a car eventually, but if I don't need it 1st year all the better. Looks like the bus service is reasonably frequent too.

Yeah I will definitely buy a car eventually, but if I don't need it 1st year all the better. Looks like the bus service is reasonably frequent too.

Zipcar is a godsend (I live in C'ville and don't own a car), and the bus service is pretty good, too, in the University area, but becomes far less frequent and reliable if you get too far out.

Frankly, owning a car at UVA is a nuisance - parking is horrible, and the cops are very active in writing tickets and towing vehicles...

Zipcar is a godsend (I live in C'ville and don't own a car), and the bus service is pretty good, too, in the University area, but becomes far less frequent and reliable if you get too far out.

Frankly, owning a car at UVA is a nuisance - parking is horrible, and the cops are very active in writing tickets and towing vehicles...

How many zip cars are there? (I think I saw 6 in a 2009 story but maybe they expanded). Can you usually get a car when you want or is it pretty crowded?

How many zip cars are there? (I think I saw 6 in a 2009 story but maybe they expanded). Can you usually get a car when you want or is it pretty crowded?

They started with 6, and none are all that convenient to the med school. Program only started in November, so I am sure they are evaluating expansion. Plus there are plans to extend it to a downtown location.

I have never had a problem reserving a car. I just hope the program has been enough of a success to keep it here.

They started with 6, and none are all that convenient to the med school. Program only started in November, so I am sure they are evaluating expansion. Plus there are plans to extend it to a downtown location.

I have never had a problem reserving a car. I just hope the program has been enough of a success to keep it here.

Alright, thanks for the info

I'm guessing somewhere around 154... Half the class does the SIM thing in the fall, and there were 77 people on that list. But I haven't heard any official numbers.
153 would be perfect, with their whole '9 people groups are best for learning' deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.