2009-2010 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they're still sending out interview requests - got one in the mail today for early January. I'm OOS.

Hey hey! Congrats! I am really excited to here that...when did you submit/get marked as complete? I have been waiting awhile to here ANYTHING lol

Members don't see this ad.

I called Beth Ann like 3 months ago and she told me "YES A SECONDARY = YOU GET INTERVIEW"

Yep no invite yet! Grrr...but I could care less since I got 5 invites since then. Stupid WV needs to decide if I'm interviewing or not :mad:

nvm mine was in the mail, early january as well

Last edited:
I just got an interview invite in the mail today, too. It's for early January. I was complete 9/4, OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
no invite either, but no rejection letter... but that's what I thought about getting a secondary...but others have said otherwise too...(so i'm so confused on that)

we got a couple of months still
I just gave up my interview spot for 1/04. Good luck, everyone!

I received a wait list letter on December 7. Its interesting because I interviewed on December 4. Anyone else on the "waiting list"?

I received a wait list letter on December 7. Its interesting because I interviewed on December 4. Anyone else on the "waiting list"?

?

are you interviewing for their medical school or dental school?

Withdrew...hope that opens an interview spot for someone else!

So I was reading threads from years past...and apparently some people didn't get off the waitlist until June and July! Definitely hoping it doesn't take that long, but as long as I eventually get an acceptance I can't be too heartbroken. :p

They sent out status updates today. Still on the waitlist...looks like it might be the long-term one. Daggonit. :(

mine says "As of the December 15th Admissions Committee meeting, the committee has decided to continue to review your application and file for acceptance. Therefore, you are still on the waitlist/alternate list and could be accepted at any time between now and the start of school. We will keep you updated as the process goes on and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. This list is not ranked and I do not know when you may hope to come off the list, you just need to be patient with the our admissions process."

I have no idea what list this is.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
mine says "As of the December 15th Admissions Committee meeting, the committee has decided to continue to review your application and file for acceptance. Therefore, you are still on the waitlist/alternate list and could be accepted at any time between now and the start of school. We will keep you updated as the process goes on and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. This list is not ranked and I do not know when you may hope to come off the list, you just need to be patient with the our admissions process."

I have no idea what list this is.:confused:

It just means they are going to review your app each committee meeting and vote again. At the end of March if you still have this status you will be waitlisted.

Waitlisted too, OOS

Hope it moves quickly this year! :xf:

^^I got an OOS interview invite a couple weeks ago.

It just means they are going to review your app each committee meeting and vote again. At the end of March if you still have this status you will be waitlisted.

really? because it has been like 2 months since my interview. If they are sitll reviewing me thats good I guess.

really? because it has been like 2 months since my interview. If they are sitll reviewing me thats good I guess.

I don't think they're still reviewing. I think we're just sitting in a pile and if they need someone they'll start drawing names and reviewing them again.

Accepted Dec. 18th. Interviewed Dec. 3rd.

Very excited. My fellow interviewees were absolutely the nicest ones I'd met. By the end, we were swapping movie and book recommendations.

Interview Invite today via snail mail! Very exciting b/c it is scheduled for 1/28 and I had JUST scheduled an interview at Wake Forest for 1/27 earlier today. It's cool b/c Wake Forest is like a perfect half-way mark between where I am and Morgantown. I don't think it couldn't have worked out better then it has... now I just got 2 figure out how to take the time off work :rolleyes:

Got an invitation to interview on February 5th..think I have any shot this late at getting in?

Got an invitation to interview on February 5th..think I have any shot this late at getting in?

Congrats memos87. I'm sure you still have a great chance of an outright acceptance. Can you tell me when you submitted your secondary? Thanks.

Anyone going for the MD/MPH interviews on the 1/27 from the DC area?

Invite for Feb 10th. Anyone have luck changing the date? I can't make it this day....ugh

I am a WV resident MCAT 29, GPA 3.9 with research, volunteer work and I currently work in a doc's office. I sent in my secondary at the very beginning of November 2009 and was told over the phone today that my interview is Feb 19. Does this seem a little late for an in-stater? Will I definitely be waitlisted at this point?

I am distraught. Some of my friends (with lower scores and GPAs) who sent their secondaries in LATER than me have earlier interviews and some have already been accepted. I don't understand. Can anyone make sense of this?

I am a WV resident MCAT 29, GPA 3.9 with research, volunteer work and I currently work in a doc's office. I sent in my secondary at the very beginning of November 2009 and was told over the phone today that my interview is Feb 19. Does this seem a little late for an in-stater? Will I definitely be waitlisted at this point?

I am distraught. Some of my friends (with lower scores and GPAs) who sent their secondaries in LATER than me have earlier interviews and some have already been accepted. I don't understand. Can anyone make sense of this?

A 3 month turn around on your secondary isn't uncommon.

A 3 month turn around on your secondary isn't uncommon.

Thanks for the quick response. Makes me feel a little better :) I am just afraid that such a late interview will cause me to be waitlisted. Is my thinking flawed?

Invite for Feb 10th. Anyone have luck changing the date? I can't make it this day....ugh

I called yesterday to ask how hard it would be to change my interview date and Ms. McCormick said it would be impossible b/c all the interview dates are completely booked up right now. This sucks because I don't think I'll be able to make it on my scheduled date. I would say let's change dates, but Feb.10th doesn't work either. If I do decide to cancel I'll let you guys know so someone can call to snag my jan 28th interview if they want it.

At UAAWolf and futureNCmed, I wonder if we can swap dates. I just received an invitation for Feb 4th that I can't make, but I could make it on either Jan 28th or Feb 10th. That way they can still keep their full interview schedule and we could potentially still make it to an interview. Just a thought.

At UAAWolf and futureNCmed, I wonder if we can swap dates. I just received an invitation for Feb 4th that I can't make, but I could make it on either Jan 28th or Feb 10th. That way they can still keep their full interview schedule and we could potentially still make it to an interview. Just a thought.

What I really need is a Monday or Friday interview.... It's an 8 hour drive from where I am so I would have to have pleanty of time to get there (I'ma southerner and not very comfortable driving in the snow). Plus I can't take off that much work! Does anyone know if they even interview on Mondays and Fridays?

Thanks for the quick response. Makes me feel a little better :) I am just afraid that such a late interview will cause me to be waitlisted. Is my thinking flawed?

WVU is very, very interested in WVU residents. I think if you're a competitive applicant, you'll be alright regardless of the interview wait. In fact, they waitlist the vast majority of OOS folks so they can take a good look at all the IS people first. While you're there, tell them that VTBuc would love to get accepted off the waitlist. :p

What I really need is a Monday or Friday interview.... It's an 8 hour drive from where I am so I would have to have pleanty of time to get there (I'ma southerner and not very comfortable driving in the snow). Plus I can't take off that much work! Does anyone know if they even interview on Mondays and Fridays?

My interview was on a Monday.

i interview in cincinnatti on feb 4 :(

I've been trying to get in touch with Ms. McCormick all day but I keep getting her voicemail. I finally just left a message saying I had to cancel my interview and told her to call me back if there was any way I could reschedule. So... assuming she gets my message, a slot for 1/28 just opened up for all of you out there who need to RS or want an earlier date.

Would have loved to check out this school but considering I've already got an acceptance at my State school (which is also very reputable for their family/community medicine and MUCH MUCH cheaper), it just doesn't make sense for me to go through all the trouble and $$ to drive or fly to Morgantown and take MORE time off work to go to this interview.

Hope this helps out someone with scheduling problems... It's so weird how this school just assigns you a date instead of letting you schedule!

Any out-of-stater receive an interview invite recently that sent in their secondary in October or November? That's interesting those in-state might hear back immediately, which implies they are prioritizing the apps and are not backed up. Thanks.

WVU is very, very interested in WVU residents. I think if you're a competitive applicant, you'll be alright regardless of the interview wait. In fact, they waitlist the vast majority of OOS folks so they can take a good look at all the IS people first. While you're there, tell them that VTBuc would love to get accepted off the waitlist. :p

haha I will put in a good word ;) thanks for the advice. i appreciate it!

Any out-of-stater receive an interview invite recently that sent in their secondary in October or November? That's interesting those in-state might hear back immediately, which implies they are prioritizing the apps and are not backed up. Thanks.

I guess I can answer my own question. Interview invitation dated January 20th set for March 18th. Woohoo! :D I don't know why this school isn't more popular. I'm certainly looking forward to checking West Virginia out.

I guess I can answer my own question. Interview invitation dated January 20th set for March 18th. Woohoo! :D I don't know why this school isn't more popular. I'm certainly looking forward to checking West Virginia out.

I just got the letter dated 1/20 for an interview on 2/15. submitted my secondary around late Oct... was about to give up hope on WVU. Looking at last year's stats, not so encouraging for us OOS... maybe I am just a pessimist

2666 applied, 218 interviewed, 39 were accepted, 25 enrolled

http://www.eduers.com/Medical/West_Virginia/West_Virginia_University_School_of_Medicine.html

Excited to check out WV, what's around the area??

I just got the letter dated 1/20 for an interview on 2/15. submitted my secondary around late Oct... was about to give up hope on WVU. Looking at last year's stats, not so encouraging for us OOS... maybe I am just a pessimist

2666 applied, 218 interviewed, 39 were accepted, 25 enrolled

http://www.eduers.com/Medical/West_Virginia/West_Virginia_University_School_of_Medicine.html

Excited to check out WV, what's around the area??

I am an undergrad at WVU and the medical school is actually accepting more OOS applicants this year that they have in the past, or atleast that's what I've been hearing from friends who have alreayd had interviews. They waitlist many of their OOS applicants at first, but if you have strong ties to the state, they pretty much consider you IS. Also, this late, the waitlist may not even be an issue for you.

Morgantown is a fun city. Fastest growing city in West Virginia and only 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. Lots to do in Morgantown, many good restaraunts, cafes, artsy fartsy places....Definitely check out the downtown campus when you come and High Street. All of the the medical school classes will be on the other campus across town, but downtown is a cool place to visit. All of the old buildings are downtown and they are beautiful to see. High St. is kind of the main drag and has lots of different shops and restaraunts.

Coopers Rock is a state park about 15 minutes outside of Morgantown. It has a breath-taking overlook and many trails to hike/bike on. It's worth it just to drive up to see the overlook. Truly beautiful, especially in the fall or after a snowy day. The Student Recreation Center is also worth taking a look at. It has a rock climbing wall, walking track, huge swimming pool, and offers tons of exercise classes, if your into that sort of thing. There really is something for everyone and the Rec is very new and nice.

I have been here for ~5 years and have loved living here, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks for all the detailed info, docgirl. I appreciate it. I have a feeling I am going to like West Virginia and your description helps confirm that.

The environment is a big factor for me and it's cool to hear the proximity to some beautiful terrain. I imagine the whether is nice as well. The mountains should help shield wind and being farther south, WV should have more tolerable temperatures. Here in Minneapolis I woke up to 22 below Fahrenheit with the wind chill this morning. Ouch.

kinda depressed I couldn't go to my interview tomorrow... it's a good thing I canceled tho with the snow coming in and all. Still... I really hope someone else got to use my spot

I am an undergrad at WVU and the medical school is actually accepting more OOS applicants this year that they have in the past, or atleast that's what I've been hearing from friends who have alreayd had interviews. They waitlist many of their OOS applicants at first, but if you have strong ties to the state, they pretty much consider you IS. Also, this late, the waitlist may not even be an issue for you.

Morgantown is a fun city. Fastest growing city in West Virginia and only 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. Lots to do in Morgantown, many good restaraunts, cafes, artsy fartsy places....Definitely check out the downtown campus when you come and High Street. All of the the medical school classes will be on the other campus across town, but downtown is a cool place to visit. All of the old buildings are downtown and they are beautiful to see. High St. is kind of the main drag and has lots of different shops and restaraunts.

Coopers Rock is a state park about 15 minutes outside of Morgantown. It has a breath-taking overlook and many trails to hike/bike on. It's worth it just to drive up to see the overlook. Truly beautiful, especially in the fall or after a snowy day. The Student Recreation Center is also worth taking a look at. It has a rock climbing wall, walking track, huge swimming pool, and offers tons of exercise classes, if your into that sort of thing. There really is something for everyone and the Rec is very new and nice.

I have been here for ~5 years and have loved living here, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Oh wow, Morgantown sounds like a great place to go to medical school at. Thanks for the insights! :D definitely looking forward to check it out.
Too bad I don't have any tie to WV... :rolleyes:

I'm interviewing at WVU from out of state later this month. Am I correct in assuming that out of state applicants pay OOS tuition for all 4 years? Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

I'm interviewing at WVU from out of state later this month. Am I correct in assuming that out of state applicants pay OOS tuition for all 4 years? Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Yup, you do. I have a friend already in WVU and she has to pay OOS tuition for all 4 years

Wow. That's terrible, but what are you gonna do? Thanks.

You know how some people ask for a bit of extra fin. aid help if they feel like the school would like them to attend? It has crossed my mind to ask for in-state status at WVU and see if they'd agree. I know that it worked for someone else (though not at WVU).

That in itself is equivalent to a 30K scholarship from another school and puts WVU's costs to below a lot of other in-state schools. Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.