2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine has said pending on the application and fee that I paid several days ago, so not me.

Members don't see this ad.

Ya, I'm still pending..although I submitted/paid on like Wednesday evening...

But have your LORs been uploaded to your secondary app? Because mine don't appear to have been yet. There is just a blank space next to where the LOR status is supposed to be, and no list of which letters they have uploaded or anything.

Just to clarify, my payment and submission still say "pending" as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
But have your LORs been uploaded to your secondary app? Because mine don't appear to have been yet. There is just a blank space next to where the LOR status is supposed to be, and no list of which letters they have uploaded or anything.

Just to clarify, my payment and submission still say "pending" as well.

My LORs have some message underneath them about "if they're being downloaded by AMCAS...10 days blah blah". I think AMC had some issues in writing the app this year when talking about AMCAS LOR...since they say on one page they "only take AMCAS LORs"...yet they have options for not AMCAS...odd.

In any case, I'm sending via AMCAS (all other schools have downloaded no prob) so I'm pretty sure AMC is just being slow.

My LORs have some message underneath them about "if they're being downloaded by AMCAS...10 days blah blah". I think AMC had some issues in writing the app this year when talking about AMCAS LOR...since they say on one page they "only take AMCAS LORs"...yet they have options for not AMCAS...odd.

In any case, I'm sending via AMCAS (all other schools have downloaded no prob) so I'm pretty sure AMC is just being slow.

Same for me. My letters have been in with AMCAS since June, and other schools have them loaded as received. I wouldn't be worried about it, especially since all of us seem to be in the same boat.

Yeah, I'm in the same situation as you all as well.

My status just updated to "yes" for supplemental app and fee. Still no change to the letters though.

My status just updated to "yes" for supplemental app and fee. Still no change to the letters though.

same. it might take them much more time to upload the letters to each student's secondary individually; that has been my experience at other schools. It's nice to finally have confirmation that the payment and application submission went fine, though : )

Does anyone know which box I'm suppose to use for shadowing, research, a school club that I go on medical trips sometimes with? Or a health organization I volunteered for? I'm not digging their boxes.

Shadowing is a voluntary health related community service? :confused:

I dunno if you include shadowing there or not. It's more the community providing you a service...but I wanted to mention it somewhere. Hard to know.

i had a pre-med committee packet (all my individual letters + one big committee letter) sent to AMCAS and now on the Albany status page it's listing all of my individual letter authors as submitting letters but nothing about the committee.. did this happen to anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
mine still says pending, and i submitted the secondary and fee 2 days ago. any estimate for how long it will take to change to "yes"? :)

I just called and they said to give it a few more days. My LORs are uploaded, but they said they still need to "process" it, which entails checking whether I meet their course requirements and maybe other stuff before they mark it complete and forward it to the adcom.
The person who answers their phones is nice : )

Ok this is like the oddest thing that has happened to me thus far in this cycle. I went to check my status on the application page and under "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Letters of recommendation received:" it just says "Loyola." I never went to Loyola! My letter packet is from University of Michigan! I am so confused. :confused: I e-mailed them because I'm guessing the office is closed and I couldn't wait. That is so weird to me though...

Ok this is like the oddest thing that has happened to me thus far in this cycle. I went to check my status on the application page and under "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Letters of recommendation received:" it just says "Loyola." I never went to Loyola! My letter packet is from University of Michigan! I am so confused. :confused: I e-mailed them because I'm guessing the office is closed and I couldn't wait. That is so weird to me though...

hahaha i thought it was bad that they spelled my school name wrong, but yours is definitely much weirder.

My letters finally showed up, exactly 10 days after I submitted, lol. Still doesn't say complete though.

I;m wondering the same thing??

Nah...I really don't think shadowing is a medical community service...I think shadowing can be classified under "clinical activities", but if it's talking about clinical community service...they want clinical community service--working at health fairs, serving the underserved in a clinic, etc.

LizzyM may be the best person to ask in this to be absolutely certain, but I'm 99% sure that they do not want to see shadowing listed as a health related community service.

shadowing doesn't really 'serve' anyone except yourself, unlike clinical volunteering, and I don't think they are the same thing. Just my 2 cents. I didn't notice any category on the app that shadowing would fall under. In my humble opinion, shadowing doesn't take much commitment or effort, or demonstrate anything about you as an applicant (other than that you want to get into medical school). Supposedly, it proves that you have an idea of what you're getting into, but I think that is B.S... Volunteering does the same too, but in a way that is much more useful for the purposes of secondary applications (demonstrates altruism). Shadowing is just another hoop everyone has to jump through, and perhaps they care much more that you've done volunteering

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm a late bloomer for the application phase and haven't received my secondaries. Seems like there are more questions in addition to the three secondary questions specifically asked.

I was wondering if anyone can post additional questions that require use writing/typing out answers?

Thanks! Good luck to everyone!

My letters finally showed up, exactly 10 days after I submitted, lol. Still doesn't say complete though.

Does anyone's file say complete? My LOR status displays my school name (sent to AMCAS via my college's letter service). Just wanted to make sure that it's "normal" for it to not show complete even though everything is there?

Hey guys, I'm a late bloomer for the application phase and haven't received my secondaries. Seems like there are more questions in addition to the three secondary questions specifically asked.

I was wondering if anyone can post additional questions that require use writing/typing out answers?

Thanks! Good luck to everyone!

See the earlier posts..those are all the questions.

Does anyone's file say complete? My LOR status displays my school name (sent to AMCAS via my college's letter service). Just wanted to make sure that it's "normal" for it to not show complete even though everything is there?

same here; i think that is normal. possibly, some schools have an extra step in between uploading LORs and marking apps complete. I think the secondary app status page says that they upload LORs, then check course requirements, then mark the apps complete.

same here; i think that is normal. possibly, some schools have an extra step in between uploading LORs and marking apps complete. I think the secondary app status page says that they upload LORs, then check course requirements, then mark the apps complete.

yeah, i'm in the same situation. i think they are just making sure that we meet the course requirements. give it a few days.

Yay finally complete!!! submitted 7/22

Just to clarify. I know there has been some confusion about the letters- completion lag time. I called the school a couple days ago. They were REALLY nice. She said this is their first year using amcas so they are not getting them downloaded as fast as they would have hoped. So, don't worry if your letters aren't in within the 10 days.

Second note, she said it IS the processing of materials and making sure you've met all of their requirements that accounts for the lag time between receiving everything and completion. so there should be some time, before you'll see a yes by completion, even if everything has been received.

Good luck everyone :)

Just to clarify. I know there has been some confusion about the letters- completion lag time. I called the school a couple days ago. They were REALLY nice. She said this is their first year using amcas so they are not getting them downloaded as fast as they would have hoped. So, don't worry if your letters aren't in within the 10 days.

Second note, she said it IS the processing of materials and making sure you've met all of their requirements that accounts for the lag time between receiving everything and completion. so there should be some time, before you'll see a yes by completion, even if everything has been received.

Good luck everyone :)

Thanks for that confirmation!

if only I could talk to someone as nice you the person you spoke with at other schools' admissions offices!

Just submitted moments ago. Was initially troubled on what to mention in my personal description.

Yay! Just 9 more (out of 27) to go. :)

Just submitted moments ago. Was initially troubled on what to mention in my personal description.

Yay! Just 9 more (out of 27) to go. :)

Me too. I'm at 4 more out of 34

Anyone else still waiting for the secondary invite? Do you guys know if it comes out in batches or have I effectively been forgotten? (Verified: June 30th)

Anyone else still waiting for the secondary invite? Do you guys know if it comes out in batches or have I effectively been forgotten? (Verified: June 30th)

i was verified july 20th and got a secondary invite a week later, so you might want to call them because it's been a really long time for you.

Checked your spam folder? They may send them in batches, but I was verified 7/14 and got the secondary 7/20.

oh gosh. I hope I didn't miss it when I cleared my spam weeks ago. I'll call in on monday. *sigh*

thanks and good luck to everyone

To everyone who has had their LORs uploaded to their secondary app: have you been processed and marked complete yet? It's gone a really long time without being marked complete for me, but I'm guessing everyone else is in the same situation..

To everyone who has had their LORs uploaded to their secondary app: have you been processed and marked complete yet? It's gone a really long time without being marked complete for me, but I'm guessing everyone else is in the same situation..

Yes, mine says "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee" (with a "Yes" mark next to it)..

Yes, mine says "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee" (with a "Yes" mark next to it)..

When'd you submit? I submitted around the 21st-22nd of July...and am still not complete.

I submitted 7/22 and the LORs were uploaded on 7/28 yet I'm still not marked complete. Seriously, ppl just hate me and Asyouwereatrio :thumbdown:

I submitted 7/22 and the LORs were uploaded on 7/28 yet I'm still not marked complete. Seriously, ppl just hate me and Asyouwereatrio :thumbdown:

haha...I was about to write out the list of schools that hate us...but decided not to spam up this thread. I will name one school though: Drexel. *sob sob* haha.

They have all my LORs downloaded and listed on the system, got my secondary and $$$, but i'm listed as incomplete... wtf

They have all my LORs downloaded and listed on the system, got my secondary and $$$, but i'm listed as incomplete... wtf

they have to go through and check that you have completed all of the prerequisite courses and stuff. i've had everything including LOR's listed since 8/4 and am still not complete either. i think it's going to take a few more days.

Yeah, it took about a week from when all my letter were reflected on the status page for mine to show updated. It is complete as of today and I submitted back on 7/21.

Yeah, it took about a week from when all my letter were reflected on the status page for mine to show updated. It is complete as of today and I submitted back on 7/21.
Ok thanks - i won't worry till next week then

Status
Not open for further replies.